Supernatural Recap

Supernatural Recap: The God's Honest Truth, as Told by Chuck

Dear God, it’s about time.

As long suspected by Supernatural fans, Chuck Shurley (returning guest star Rob Benedict) reveals himself to be the Man Upstairs during Wednesday’s episode.

God – but he prefers to be called Chuck – exposes his true identity to fallen angel Metatron, and what follows is a two-hander deep dive into what’s wrong with the Big Guy that he would abandon his creations. Chuck explains that he’s been hiding in plain sight because he likes having a front row seat. As for what he’s been doing while the world’s gone to crap, here’s a short list: looking at cat photos, signing up for Snapchat, dating girls (and boys), starting a new book series titled Revolution (“I don’t think it’s going anywhere”).

Now, he needs Metatron’s help finishing his latest project: his autobiography. He hands over a draft, which doesn’t inspire the desired reaction. “Last time I saw that look on an editor’s face, I just handed in Bugs,” Chuck notes. (Oh, Season 1 Supernatural.)

Metatron criticizes the autobiography’s glaring omission of God’s sister, Amara. He also has issue with the work’s self-indulgence and lack of revelations, ironic considering the author. Editorial advice: Dig deeper. Chuck, in turn, comes back with a chapter titled “Why I Never Answer Prayers and You Should Be Glad.” Now we’re getting somewhere!

But Metatron’s not done trying to get real answers out of the almighty. He wants to know why God created life. “I was lonely,” Chuck explains. And his sister wasn’t very good company. “I am being. She is nothingness.” He thought if he showed her there was something more than them, something better, she’d change. Instead, every time he built a new world, she destroyed it. Even though she’s back to do it once again, Chuck doesn’t feel any responsibility to stop her. After all, Amara’s release isn’t on him. “The world would still be spinning with demon Dean,” if Sam could have dealt with it, he points out.

Metatron accuses Chuck of being a coward. His “experiments” may be failing, but at least humans don’t give up.

As for Dean and Sam, don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about them. When God’s in the house, you have to take a backseat. The brothers are holed up in a town with Amara’s deadly fog, which has infected the younger Winchester. “Stop this, you dick!” Dean yells out. It seems Metatron’s words got through to Chuck, because suddenly Dean finds  the “Samulet” glowing in his brother’s pocket and all is fine and dandy. Dean and Sam marvel as all the dead and infected regain consciousness and then come face-to-face with Chuck, who announces, “We should probably talk.”

We, Supernatural faithful, have a lot to discuss, too. What did you think of the long-awaited reveal?

1. Tom says:

Can Chuck bring Charlie back from the dead?

2. Linda says:

The Samulet.

3. Emily says:

I could listen to Rob Benedict singing Fare Thee Well for hours!

4. A. D. says:

This was one AWESOME episode! This show just excels more and more!

• ? says:

It was just perfect. Just philosophical enough to do justice to what a conversation with God asking him to explain his decisions would be like, but still funny, and very moving. It’s really not easy to find the right tone when writing about things like this. I’m impressed. Loved Metatron’s role in it all, Who’d have thought Cas’s decision not to kill him would someday save . . . everything? Powerful storytelling, that. Biblical, almost!

• ? says:

Also I would have bet anything the writers were going to save the “Chuck is God” reveal for the series finale no matter what happened, but I’m glad they didn’t hold it back. Hey listen . . . God might lose! Amara might win but see the error of her ways, she was clearly questioning her instincts and behavior earlier in the season but seems to have moved away from that now. Or they might both be sealed away outside Creation forever. Lucifer might be reconciled with his father beforehand and take over heaven as a dutiful son (I doubt that one too, but hey). Anything can happen!

5. ninamags says:

What a fantastic epusode!! The Samulet is back!!

Somebody had to call out God for his BS.

I thought Chuck was a real person until God took over at the end of season 5.

• B says:

Oh, I like that idea that Chuck was Chuck but then God took over. I couldn’t figure out why God would create the pain of the prophetic visions (or else it was just *really* good acting… even when no one else was around), but this could explain it.

• wgsecretary says:

I never got that impression. He seemed rather protective of his works when talking about Supernatural as though he really wrote them himself. I don’t think that would be the case if Chuck was real but then just taken over by God at the end of season 5.

6. Aj says:

GREAT GREAT EPISODE WOW

7. Katie says:

Oh man this episode was amazing, everything I could have hoped for with Chuck’s return. I was worried they would bring him back and reveal he hadn’t been God, but obviously that’s not the way it went at all. I’ve always loved Chuck, next to Cas he’s my favorite, but I was glad Metatron read him the riot act about some of the crap he’s pulled. And some wonderful scenes with Metatron! Being human is doing him some good, it seems. Can’t wait for next week, hopefully they can save Cas and he’ll get a scene or two with his absentee father.

8. Arthur says:

Fantastic episodes, and a wonderful touchstone to set off the motion for the rest of the season – can’t wait to see them save Cas next, then hopefully have a big team-up with Dean, Sam, Cas, and Chuck to take down the Darkness once and for all. Damn, Supernatural – this has been one fantastic season across the board with oustanding performances from all the major cast members!

9. Mica says:

I bawled like a baby. Can’t believe how much I enjoyed the scenes between Metatron and Chuck. Best episode in years.

10. Wanda says:

I’ve been a huge fan since season one. This episode just closed a circuit and blew my mind. Thank you!

11. Debbie says:

This was a fantastic episode. A gift to all the fans who hung tough through the soulless Sam/Leviathan days. The confirmation coming before the first commercial, had me cheering in my seat. The conversations between Metatron and Chuck did much to move the story forward and the name of the town beset by Amara’s fog “Hope Springs”, gave us just that for what is to come.

12. Gilberto De La Garza says:

I was impressed with the Whole Episode I knew Chuck was God when he had the Archangel Raphael teathered to him in Season 4,Season 5 when he vanished, Loved how Metratron humbled himself explained he was bad he wanted God’s attention and he was Real with God,saved the Winchester @ the end told them they should talk

13. Gilberto De La Garza says:

Now they need to bring Richard Back as Gabriel and Matt Cohen as Michael,and Raphael and free Lucifur,The Winchester probably will help as well, aww I think Amara is hot

• ninergrl6 says:

Having all those characters together would be like watching a Supernatural convention on screen, art imitating life. It’s weird to think that Rob, Richard, and Matt have spent SO much time together on the con circuit but never shared air time. SPN brings people together.

14. Gail says:

Best episode ever! I teared up in the end and now fèel a sense of being complete.

15. AnnieM says:

They really knocked it out of the park with this one. Curtis Armstrong was outstanding – Rob Benedict, I have no words. I actually cried a little bit – lol. And we still have 2 episodes to go! My only wonder now is what next season will hold – I mean, now they have GOD helping them with this season’s Big Bad; what the heck can they possibly do next to top that? :D

• JeromeH says:

I know right? It seems they’ve outdone themselves with this one. Can’t wait to see what the finally and next season have in store. *Fingers crossed*

• megawrite says:

Except I think they are foreshadowing God’s death to take out Amara. Which could lead to problems with heaven for next season.

• Paul says:

Certainly. Foreshadowed by the look on Metatron’s face when he read the new last pages of the autobiography. Death may not be the right term. God and Amara will fuse and go… wherever it is beings like that go when they are gone.

• Chels says:

Having an inkling that God might have to die to defeat Amara, I was hoping they would find a way to bring Death back – in season 5 when Dean and Death are in the pizza parlour Death has the most amazing line about being around before God and in the end being the one to reap God too…

• Taylor says:

AWESOME point I forgot all about Death being around before God I miss Dean and Death scenes bonding over junk food

16. ammy says:

It was one big treat! Loved it. Totally. :-) This season is really the best competetor for the fifth season. Lets hope they do justice to the upcoming episodes as well. Surely, this finale is going to be a big-bang level. Till then, Chuck bless U ;-)

17. Cris says:

Best. Episode. In. Years.

18. Carrie says:

What a great episode!! Awesome from start to finish. The ending was very touching, particularly for those who have been watching the show since the beginning.

19. Dean Mason says:

Supernatural has been iffy for a few years now but this has been by far its best episode in a long time. Very well done indeed.

20. Dylan says:

Wow. Just wow. Supernatural you have wonderfully entered me into your world and perfectly explained it. Beautiful

21. Michael Fenn says:

This was THE BEST EPISODE ever! I like so many others knew Chuck was God! And the banter between “Chuck” and Metatron was priceless and the feels man so damn real! This episode was brilliantly written and the acting was so damn good and fluid and consistent. Chuck is good, chuck is life. God stepped up to the plate and saved those people and Sam! Then he turned on the item that revealed his presence and how he came to the Winchester Bros. and said I think we got to talk. Man, that sent a chill up and down my spine and a stupid smile was perma-stamped on my face. My cat looked at me like wth haha I said to her I knew he was God! Damn it boy I was right! She meowed and my gf was like you called it! haha. Chuck is the man!

22. Not only was that the best episode of the season but that was the best episode of the series. I called it right in the teaser about Chuck.

23. Pat says:

I suspected that God was on earth during all these seasons of Supernatural. Awhile ago, I thought it might have been Castiel but Chuck, never even thought of it. I always thought that the final season of this show is when we would actually see him appear. I am pretty sure that Supernatural was renewed for another season, so why so soon for God’s appearance?

24. Cambo says:

Wow, what a great episode, I’m actually a bit teary. Where can they possibly go in season 12, God reveal would be the end game I would have thought?

25. Mick G says:

The big question is does Chuck (God) drive a Chevy? In all honesty it was one of the best episodes ever and opens the door for a million possibilities. Example: Metatron talks smack about Lucifer and Chuck kind of shows a sweet spot for Lucy. It should make for some epic episodes! For once you didn’t want to beat Metatron to a pulp, he is humble or is he?

26. Imzadi says:

It never really crossed my mind, that Chuck could be could be god. So when I read speculations about it years ago I neither liked it or believed it. I mean God dating Becky? Well, this episode convinced me otherwise. And how great was that song?

27. dancmh says:

So God is bi? LOL One Million Moms better hop on this boycott before the show becomes too popular.

28. Dj says:

For me this was the best episode of the season and it ranks top 5 all time. Really a whole episode of supernatural where I didnt care at all about what Sam and Dean did. Curtis Armstrong should at least get a mentioned for performer of the week he had me on the edge of my seat with every word. It was great that they confirmed the long time fan theory that Chuck was god.

29. rhibeka says:

Like the comments before – this was one of the best episodes. The story line, the interactions between the characters. From the beginning to the end it was excellent. Some shows go down hill as the years pass and except for the leviathan year, this show seems to get better. Thanks

30. Derek says:

if Season 11 would be the very last season they should have God bring back dean/Sams mother and Father then they can end there hunting completely

31. Viv says:

My head:
    No words. Wait. What? Huh? Wow.
    What?? WHAT?!
    Is this is the end?
    11 years…
    And it glows… it glows!!
    Holy mother–
    (Sigh…) Whew!
    Wow… “Snif! Snif!”
    Naptime. And sleep the sleep of the blissed…
    (Chuck is so hot…)

32. ankit says:

The best episode of supernatural ever and metatron was owsem in his delivery

33. Fendylee says:

Well, if theres anyone out there can save supernatural show, it is god.
    He proved it, one appearance of god and people love this show again.

• Shashank says:

Show makers knew that’s why they saved him for the moments like this.
      And yes I am loving the show again

34. Shashank says:

Let’s just say finally

35. Christina says:

Quickly moved into my top 5 list of best SPN episodes ever! Swan Song convinced me that Chuck was God, and I’ve been dying for this validation! The little nods that Supernatural is famous for were perfect…also, did anyone notice Chuck was drinking from a “World’s Greatest Dad” mug? Loved it!!

36. Steven H. says:

Wow, the most underwhelming and anti-climatic reveal I have ever seen. A sad portraying of God. I have been a fan of this show since day one, but this kind of ruined it for me. Setting aside my Christianity, they just really dumbed him down. Asking questions when he is supposed to be all knowing. Bi-sexual, bitter, gave up on humanity completely, and just down right unlikable. Im sorry Supernatural, but this is a major fail on your part. You can’t God, and yet have him be like a normal human being. He is much bigger than.

• Nan says:

Agreed. There is a massive Book loaded with incredible source material about the REAL God that could have made this amazing! Instead, we get a weak and pathetic god willing to break all of his own laws for personal pleasure, commit abhorrent acts of betrayal, and would willing allow the destruction of his creation – only to be dragged back by the pithy spitting of a fallen angel?? So god will happily take all kinds of abuse but don’t you dare call him a coward!

• Kathy says:

People — this is a paranormal fantasy TV show. It’s not a Christian show, and to expect it to conform to your personal beliefs is simply arrogant (and I say that as a Christian myself).
        If you want to watch faith-based shows, have at it — I’m sure UP TV has plenty of shows to your liking (including their series about a family that’s nothing more than a clone of the Duggars), and there are plenty out on DVD (Kirk Cameron’s drek, anyone?).

• you are the minority my friend, this is a work of fiction and not a true portrayal of your God… this episode is in my top 5, it was incredible and a pretty great portrayal of the God that has abandoned his creation

• coneyro says:

So, only a judgemental Christian G-D will do for you? Get real!
      If this is what you expect on TV, go to Up-TV or The Christian networks. This is fantasy, man..
      And I loved that they brought an element. of “humanity” into the spiritual.
      The “All Knowing” not really feeling he IS all knowing. Even G-D feels he isn’t always perfect.That leaves hope for the rest of us mere mortals.

Lighten up…

37. The look on Metatron’s face as he was reading the last page… That’s a look of a son who knows he’s looking at his father for the very last time. Heartbreaking.

38. Chris howard says:

“I am the God, Chuck!” Pretty cool twist, though as a Christian seeing God portrayed as sort of cowardly kinda stings but hey, it’s just a show. Just hope Chu….Err God kicks Amara’s hot ass

• i thought it was a pretty good portrayal of an apparent all loving creator who lets such terrible things happen in his world… cancer, famine, drought anyone…? God is kinda a dick if you actually think about it, but then again I’m an atheist :O

39. Christina says:

One of the worst Super Natural episodes I have seen in a long time! Wow.

40. Elizabeth says:

Amazing episode….OMG (pun intended)!

41. Farva says:

This is the best episode they have had in a very long time. Rob Benedict and Curtis Armstrong really played off each other so well, while still telling the story of Sam and Dean. The last three and half minutes of this episode sealed it for me. Rob Benedict’s Fare Thee Well, combined with Curtis Armstrong facial expressions just hit me in the feels. I teared up. Fantastic episode.

42. MichiG says:

Samuleeeeeeettt

43. The Episode I have been waiting on. Great writing, directing, acting, story telling. Idea. Thank you. Awesome!

44. Ange says:

One of the episode of the entire show. That song at the end almost made me cry.

45. Jill-B says:

Loved this episode!!! I paused right after the reveal to call my 17 yr old nephew so we could giggle together. I have been wondering if they will ever bring Jesse back??? The half demon kid who could take down heaven if he chose, Cas’ words. He likes the Winchesters and may be willing to help if he knows Amara is going to destroy Earth. Just a fun idea!

46. I did like the shout out to the canceled Revolution. It was also a way to say, yes Chuck is an avatar for Eric Kripke.

47. Tom Lowe says:

Outstanding.

I reckon God and his arch angels will face the darkness and lose. With the darkness bringing death back to finally reap God. Leading into season 12, I think God will say/leave something before he dies to dean who will eventually defeat amara next season. Perhaps dean gets made into an arch angel or maybe castiel is made into the most powerful arch angel ever….who knows, but i cant wait!

48. Felix says:

Wow!!!! God in human form, seriously season 11 and episode 21 should be d last season of supernatural. Can’t wait!!!!!!!!

49. This episode was WACK…the only redeeming quality about it was Metatron’s performance which I think was stellar. But “God” acted like an emotionally unstable, narcissistic insecure child..one minute smiling the next minute telling Metatron how mediocre he actually is. Then playing the guitar and singing?! All over the place.

50. Jeff nelson says:

Yes I love it. Thanks Chuck for the signed band photo and also adding god on it. My brother tucker sent it to me. Ur awesome. I’ll be at the next supernatural convention in Seattle I hope