Tony Award Nominations 2016

Tony Awards 2016: Hamilton Snags Record-Breaking 16 Nominations

Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr are set for another epic duel.

Leslie Odom Jr. (Smash) and creator Lin-Manuel Miranda (House) will compete for the Lead Actor in a Musical trophy at the 2016 Tony Awards for their work in the breakout hit Hamilton, which snagged a record-setting 16 nominations Tuesday. Among those giving the historical re-enactors a run for their money is Chuck alum Zachary Levi, snagging his first-ever nomination for She Loves Me.

Among the other small-screen stars who will compete at the theater awards: Looking‘s Jonathan Groff (Featured Actor in a Musical for Hamilton), The Newsroom‘s Jeff Daniels (Lead Actor in a Play for Blackbird), The Americans‘ Frank Langella (Lead Actor in a Play for The Father), American Horror Story‘s Jessica Lange (Lead Actress in a Play for Long Day’s Journey Into Night), Getting On‘s Laurie Metcalf (Lead Actress in a Play for Misery), Supergirl‘s Laura Benanti (Lead Actress in a Musical for She Loves Me), Boardwalk Empire‘s Michael Shannon (Featured Actor in a Play for Long Day’s Journey Into Night), Smash‘s Megan Hilty (Featured Actress in a Play for Noises Off), Difficult People‘s Andrea Martin (Featured Actress in a Play for Noises Off), The Good Wife‘s Renee Elise Goldsberry (Featured Actress in a Musical for Hamilton), Orange Is the New Black‘s Danielle Brooks (Featured Actress in a Musical for The Color Purple), Anger Management‘s Michael Arden (Best Direction of a Musical for Spring Awakening), Dawson’s Creek‘s Michelle Williams (Lead Actress in a Play for Blackbird) and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt‘s Jane Krakowski (Featured Actress in a Musical for She Loves Me).

The Late Late Show‘s James Corden will preside over the live theater-awards telecast on Sunday, June 12 on CBS.

For a full list of Tony nominations, head on over to our sister site Variety.

1. MoA says:

You forgot Dawson’s Creek’s Michelle Williams!!!!

2. Jennifer says:

Zachary Levi -YEA!!! Although we all know he won’t win – Hamilton will run away with everything, almost not worth watching – it’s exciting to see him nominated!

• msemmyjones says:

To be honest, I don’t think most people watch the Tony’s for the awards. I certainly don’t. As someone who lives as far away from NYC as you can possibly get and still live in the continental US, I watch so I can actually get to see performances from all these great shows. The actual awards and speeches are just filler for me.

• Et al. says:

Actually I think this year’s Tony’s may see quite a ratings increase. Hamilton is massive and has yet to suffer the ‘I’m too cool to like cool things’ backlash most phenomenons receive.

3. aisling says:

you forgot Danai Gurira (TWD) for best Play

4. I feel bad for Steve Martin. In other years, this could have been a cherry to cap off his amazing career. But from the excerpts that I’ve seen of “Hamilton,” I hope it wins all 16 (and I don’t really even like hip hop, but Lin-Manuel brings it to higher levels.

• Margaret says:

for a lot of shows, just the nominations themselves are a big deal. Bright Star can now put “5-time Tony Nominated Show” in all their marketing, which is big for a smaller-scale show that doesn’t have the buzz of something like Hamilton.

• kris says:

I think they’ll only be able to win 13 (since two of the acting categories have multiple nominees), but I hope they get a sweep, too!

• Amy K says:

He will be in a movie directed by Ang Lee coming out this year, so maybe he will get an Oscar nomination? And being nominated for writing a musical is still pretty cool – not many actors have done that.

5. dan says:

Noises Off is a play, not a musical.

6. Abby Bernardo says:

Why is Lea Salonga not nominated??! x_x this is impossible :”(

• Jennifer says:

Audra McDonald wasn’t nominated either. OK, granted she’s won 6, but still – it was an UNBELIEVABLE year on Broadway. They just have the incredible misfortune to all go up against Hamilton. Which I am sad about. Don’t like it. (not my kind of music)

7. sntindall says:

Ugh it’s like Sophie’s choice, but I think I choose Leslie over Lin. Watching him play Burr was just incredible and so so so once in a lifetime for me.

• ninergrl6 says:

I’d choose Leslie over Lin too. Burr and Eliza are the heart and soul of the show IMO. Tougher choice for featured actor. All three Hamilton actors are awesome in their own ways. (Haven’t seen the other performances that are nominated)

8. JScout says:

I’ve been listening to the cast album from Hamilton pretty much non-stop for about two months. I so wish I lived close enough to New York to go see it – assuming I could even get tickets. I guess I’ll have to watch the Tonys to see a performance (I hope) and then wait for a touring company. I love it.

• Et al. says:

I think I read Hamilton tickets are currently available for the 2034/35 season. Act fast!

• ninergrl6 says:

Hamilton tix are available if you’re willing to pay. I bought a resale ticket online, and got another one by waiting in the cancellation line the day of the show. I travelled 3000 miles *just* to see that show, and it was worth every penny.

9. Jane says:

Eclipsed which was written by Danai Gurira (MIchonne on The Walking Dead) is nominated for Best Play and five other awards.

10. Joey Padron says:

Happy Zackary Levi got his first Tony nomination! Great for Hamitlon getting a lot of nominations.

11. Daya says:

I think I might watch to see if Hamilton gets all thirteen.

Plus, I’m interested in the Best Actor in a Play race, since Jeff Daniels is from Michigan and I used to have a huge crush on Gabriel Byrne. ;)