Exclusive
Legends of Tomorrow Season 2 Han Solo

Legends of Tomorrow Season 2 Adding a Powered 'Han Solo,' Female Soldier

It may be standing room only on the Waverider come Season 2 of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.

With the CW drama airing its antepenultimate freshman episode this Thursday at 8/7c, TVLine has learned that casting is now underway for two new series regular roles, to debut next season.

A male in his late-20s to mid-30s is being sought to play a guy who grew up in the shadow of his World War II hero grandfather and has used a Han Solo-like facade to conceal his insecurity — until, that is, the development of super powers enables him to love up to his family legacy.

Also being cast for Legends Season 2 is the female member of an elite paramilitary team living in the 1940s. An African-American, she is scrutinized in her time for both her gender and race and thus has worked twice as hard to be a perfect soldier. That said, she blames herself for — and aims to avenge — the death of a team member for whom she had repressed feelings.

As shared in our May Sweeps/Finale Preview package, Season 2 of the Arrow/Flash offshoot will be “a lot different,” says showrunner Phil Klemmer, as the resolution of the Vandal Savage storyline segues into a new mission set in motion by the season-ending arrival of a caped hero played by Suits‘ Patrick J. Adams.

The finale “is not just hitting the reset button, it really is modifying their mission,” Klemmer said. “Season 2 isn’t going to be about saving the world and stopping a singular entity from doing evil. We wanted to change the stakes and dynamics to make it an entirely new show — not just with new characters but with a new dramatic engine.”

You know the drill — get to dream-casting the two new roles!

1. SassyAF28 says:

yay more diversity

• MeJ says:

I hope so! They could easily cast an Asian-American lead for the ‘Han Solo’ role — having a grandfather in the 442nd Regiment would be amazing!

• Joe Carson says:

It its just hollyweird being their liberal/democRATic selves pushing their agenda on us. Nothing new, but it ruins the shows, which they do not really care about if it does, as long as their brainwashing and agenda message gets out there to the people.

2. Smash says:

With the exception of 1 or 2 episodes, this show has been abysmal. Poor writing, nonsensical time travel mechanics, generally dumb performances. Resetting/rebooting this thing can only help.

3. Alex Warheit says:

Why not just add Vixen? She was great.

Not that I think an internet comment will actually make anything happen, but just the same…

• Cody says:

I was thinking the exact same thing! Vixen is such a great character and seeing her on Arrow just made me want more of the character in a live action series.

• Oscar the Oddity says:

Ditto. I think they could use her character in a lot of different ways and I can’t imagine her special effects are as expensive as some of the others.

4. Stephanie says:

If they replace Kendra, then I’m all for it!

• Patrick says:

She is really bad, isn’t she? Bad acting, bad writing, she has (lacks) the entire package.

• Dan says:

Fully agreed.

• marco says:

agreed. And she is supposed to be Hawkgirl. if they are going to use Hawkgirl, then use her as Hawkgirl. if they can’t afford the FX, then don’t bother including her.

• Gerri. says:

I don’t know who is the worse actress her or Caity. They are both terrible. I’d say Caity is slightly worse.
        But Yay! Patrick J Adams. Is he going to be a regular?

• Graeme Lloyd says:

Lotz is a bad actress. The baby voice coupled with the awful line deliveries are like nails on chalkboard for me. But at least she can do stunts. So maybe more fighting less talking for her. The woman playing Kendra is worse, though. Problem with this show is that except for Victor Garber, everybody is a pretty weak actor. Don’t know that Adams would improve it.

• Lex says:

I’ve always liked Caity for her sheer physicality so the baby voice never bothered me. Sara always looked like she knew parkour because Caity knew parkour. Sara always looked like she knew how to fight because Caity knew how to fight. She makes a believable superhero compared to other alternatives, and she knows how to bring a vulnerability to the character that always got me straight in the heart.

Is she Meryl Streep? Nope, but this kind of role doesn’t need Streep-level acting chops. It requires a badass, and there has never been a doubt in my mind that Caity can bring the badassery.

• Lex says:

Well, you do know that yesterday Kendra was just a barista, so give her a little slack! Because former barista! Every single WTF reaction can be traced back to the fact that she was just a barista in a new city, and now she’s an Egyptian priestess or something. I mean her, a barista! Just yesterday! Mentioned at least twice an episode so you could make a drinking game out of it!

But it wouldn’t be the first time this franchise couldn’t make a bird work if their life depended on it… glad to see them both fly away, more or less.

• JC1 says:

I have been so disappointed in what they’ve done with Kendra. I had high hopes for Hawkgirl, because I loved her in Justice League, but I’m just ready for her to take her reincarnated lover and go somewhere off this show.

• heheheheheheheeh says:

Yeah I wish they stuck closer with the DCAU version of Hawkgirl, casting wise and character wise.

• dmac says:

As of last week I am done with her character and the person playing her. She is so blah, there is nothing to indicate she can even be considered part of this team, the one task she had “kill Vandal Savage” and she couldn’t do it. Come to think of it, has she done anything???

• Bwhit says:

Yes…. She’s given us 1/2 of one of the most forced and awkward relationships I have seen in a long time, which enables me to get snacks and refill my wine whenever it comes across my screen.

• Lorena says:

And i thought i was the only one having problems with her

5. Ryan says:

Damage, Hourman, or Citizen Steel for the first guy?

The second Crimson Avenger for the woman? Maybe the second Wildcat?

6. Stacey says:

As long as Sara and Snart stay, I’m in!

• Oscar the Oddity says:

Snart can stay if WM stops overacting. I can’t stand when he delivers his lines. If he toned it back about 50% and spoke normally then I think I would actually like the character more.

7. Bwhit says:

I’m not sure why they need new people, why not add Nyssa or Cassandra Savage? I like both. But, as long as Leonard, Sara and Mick stay on board I’m happy with whoever they add :).

• JC1 says:

Katrina Law has a new show, Training Day, on CBS – that’s why no Nyssa (although it hasn’t been officially picked up yet). As for Cassandra, I liked her too, but I’m not sure we really need two blond badass female warriors, especially if we’re losing Kendra (and I’m assuming they’re going to wrap up the Hawks’ story along with Savage this season). I agree with you though. As long as they keep “Killer, Klepto, and Pyro” I’m there. Lol. :)

• dmac says:

I would really like the Hawks to go away. They stop the show dead when they come on.

• Lex says:

Well, I’ve felt terrible about wanting Chicago Med to fail so Colin Donnell can come back as Tommy on Arrow, so I guess I can feel terrible for wanting Training Day to fail so we get more Nyssa. It’s wonderful to see good actors moving up in their careers, but that doesn’t mean I don’t desperately want them back because Nyssa and Sara had a dynamic that both fascinated me and made me cry, and TOMMY MERLYN’S STORY ISN’T OVER, DAMMIT! He was already thrown under the bus when Laurel forgot about him being “the love of her life,” but I still want the Tommy/Oliver bromance repaired and a Luke Skywalker/Darth Vader face-off with Malcolm.

8. Phoenix5634 says:

Watch for this to happen in all channels with a “C”: “fathers will be put in a negative role/ in a bad light, and females will be portrayed as the heros/in a good light” … Memo was put out.

Funny the things you learn while researching the candidates, thoroughly, for election going on now.

• MeJ says:

Have you SEEN a CW hero show? The Flash is basically an hour of father worship, and Arrow has basically no good parents at all except Captain Lance.

9. silverpetticoatreview says:

Hopefully, the female character will be older. One of the issues with this show (it’s entertaining but also has some major plotting issues) is the lack of female diversity. I mean, it is glaring. Main male characters include characters in their 20s, 30s, 40s and 60s. The female characters are only in their 20s. It’s frankly kind of annoying! These characters sound interesting, though!

• MeJ says:

That’s a really good point, and one place Agents of SHIELD has been blowing it out of the water. So many bad-ass middle-aged ladies!

• JC1 says:

That’s a good point.

• jj says:

One female character in her 20s and one female character in her 4000s ;) The real issue with the women isn’t their age, it’s that there are only 2 of them compared to 6 men.

• silverpetticoatreview says:

To clarify: Only actresses in their 20s. :) But yes, there needs to be more female characters but they should also represent a variety of ages (from the actresses AND characters).

10. Dan says:

As long as they finally decide to add decent scripts for S2…

11. JC1 says:

My guess is Lady Blackhawk for the female character, replacing Kendra. But I have no idea about the male character. However, him being a regular makes me wonder if we’re losing someone else besides Kendra (I know there’s nothing official saying Kendra’s leaving – that’s just my guess).

12. madhatter360 says:

You rarely see the word antepenultimate. Makes my nerdy self happy to see.

13. Liz says:

I’m not sure I’m gonna continue with this show though. I love Sara but the rest is just pretty bad. I’ll see out the season first.

• jj says:

as long as Sara is on it, I will keep watching it. I think a new direction for next season might do the show a lot of good.

14. Ann Marie says:

I would love to see Jack Knight (Starman) as the male character. I know Ted Knight was his father, not grandfather, in the comics, but enough time has passed that he would need to be his grandfather to be a WWII character. Jack and Ted are terrific characters and could add a lot to the show.

Then again, the show pretty much botched the Hawks, two of my favorite characters and the ones I came to the show to see. They also nerfed Atom and Firestorm. If the show’s budget cannot afford to handle super-powered characters, they should not include them and just stick to the fighters and “strike a pose and shoot gun” characters.

15. Ray says:

This show needs to slow down. If new characters are being added for story growth then that’s okay, but if its to replace characters we are just now getting to know that is crazy. Television is supposed to be for comfort, Not who can we kill off this week to draw viewers. 2 of my favorites were Smallville and Buffy. Smallville lasted 10 seasons and only had 1 real significant death. Buffy was well written, funny, had action, and great characters. When someone died it was to move the story not a ratings stunt. How about trying good story telling and interesting characters Hollywood.

16. stacy030 says:

Come on!! This show already has too many darn characters they can’t deal with. They need to make the cast smaller not larger.

Personally, I would be happy if the show was only Snart, Mick and Sara

• PatriciaLee says:

Those actors really have a charisma, don’t they? I notice Snart and Mick were in Prison Break, together. That must be the source of their rapport. I’m going to have to check out that show, too.

• marco says:

Season one of Prison Break was good and Season two was pretty good too. but then this shark got in the way and they had to jump over it.

• Bwhit says:

You totally should! It is the best show that I have ever binged and the writers who did season 1&2 are making nine new episodes with most of the original cast! That is the source of my undying love for WM and DP.

17. Erik says:

Totally think it’s gonna be Damage or citizen steel but damage makes more sense with the description.

18. Joey Padron says:

New characters sounds interesting. Can’t wait to see who they cast for the roles for season 2!

19. Red Snapper says:

I’ll take any of the Justice Society. I just hope Carter comes back full time. He was the character I was most excited about. I have always loved Hawkman.

• Let it be Doctor Fate, and I’d love Hawkman to come back full time too :)

• heheheheheheheeh says:

Hawkman was pretty cool in the Flash/Arrow crossover where they introduced him. The scrappy ancient warrior dude who swings a mace is kind of a jerk. Its just that when he is involved with hawkgirl then he becomes not so cool.

20. the male character will be Commander Steel and the female will be from the Blackhawks. anyone else have a guess?

21. Sam says:

Nicole Beharie

22. Silveraynea says:

If the casting is Matt Ryan as John Constantine, then I’m all for it. Dream casting done.

23. Dominique says:

so i suppose this means carters return is shortlived?

24. PatriciaLee says:

Rip Hunter’s family had better be saved, that’s all I have to say.

25. Henry Walsh says:

The “Powered” Han Solo type description matches “Citizen Steel” the descendant of World War II hero, “Commander Steel.” As to the female character, I’m not sure, there isn’t a character I know of that matches that description. My first thought was Mademoiselle Marie, a World War II era hero (makes sens for the 1940’s) but she wasn’t African American, she was French and Caucasian and a special forces unit with the French Resistance.

I honestly wish they’d go for less “Arrow-verse” characters and go with more flashy. The Atom isn’t supposed to be discount Iron Man. That role should belong to Booster Gold.

26. marco says:

if they are adding characters, they should be DC comics characters, not entirely new characters. one of the good things about this show is that they are using lots of comics characters. Even if they only add someone who was a side character in the comics, it is still better than introducing someone completely unrelated.

27. John Sigmon says:

Usually when I read Internet comments, I am appalled. But I just read all 57 of the comments here, and I have to say that I agree with 99% of them! Ciara Renee can’t act, period. The Atom should be shrinking more and fighting less. Capt. Cold is a great character, but Miller needs to dial it back a bit. Caity Lotz is the best actor on the show and deserves her own series. I can’t wait to see what we get from her when Sara learns about Laurel’s death.

This show either needs a bigger budget or less characters. I’d go for an Atom and Hawkman, or a Brave and Bold type series. Short story arcs, different villains. Then the money could be spent on one or two superpowers, not ten seconds of Firestorm, ten seconds of Atom, ten seconds of Hawkgirl with wings.

28. Ian Barber says:

I was more excited for this show when I thought it was going to be an anthology like American Horror Story. Imagine a 2nd season that focused around the Justice League Dark characters with Constantine and even Vixen! The breakdown of these new characters suggests even more time travel, which is getting a bit tired in my opinion. I truly hope that not everyone from the first season is coming back. It’s crowded enough as it is.

29. Paige says:

So long as “Killer, Klepto, and Pyro” stay. I’ll take Jax, Stein, and Ray too. They provide a nice counterpoint to the delinquents we love. They enrich the show and are why I watch live every new episode. Plus they have chemistry with each other.

Kendra and Carter have overstayed their usefulness as characters. Carter in flashbacks (until the most recent episode) was more than enough. His character had no room for improvement, no journey to take. He’s exposition — boring, badly executed exposition. Kendra had a little room for improvement but once she hit the mark, she became one-dimentional as well. Once Savage is defeated, they will have no more purpose.

30. Mr Wiggly says:

how about Taraji Henson or if the character is on the younger side maybe Jennifer Hudson, for the male lead, your guess is as good as mine

31. Joe Carson says:

So sick of these writers shoving their pc agenda and politics at us fans. This pc bs is ruining these shows one by one and that is a shame because they are great without the liberal nonsense.

• Joe Carson says:

I meant to include that the main point is that they should include characters to help the show grow and not worry if they are young/old, male/female, etc. Focusing on that stuff takes away from making the best choice.