Dan Bucatinsky Gilmore Girls

Scandal Rocks Gilmore Girls Revival: Dan Bucatinsky Snags Mystery Role

Someone alert Babette and Miss Patty: Stars Hollow is about to be upended by Scandal.

Dan Bucatinsky, best known for playing the now-deceased James Novak on the #TGIT drama, has boarded Netflix’s forthcoming Gilmore Girls revival in a mystery role.

Bucatinsky shared two Instagram photos from the Gilmore set, both of which indicate he’ll be sharing scenes primarily with Alexis Bledel’s Rory:

At work bright and early with the one and only @alexisbledelofficial great crew of this classic. #Netflix

A post shared by Dan Bucatinsky (@danbucatinsky) on

What a blast today on #gilmoregirls with @alexisbledelofficial — #LaurenGraham missed all the fun.

A post shared by Dan Bucatinsky (@danbucatinsky) on

Warner Bros. declined to confirm Bucatinsky’s participation in the revival.

As previously reported, series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Daniel Palladino are writing and directing all four 90-minute episodes/mini-movies. Each chapter will represent a different season over the course of one calendar year (as such, the episodes will be titled “Winter,” “Spring,” “Summer” and “Fall”), and the revival will be set in the present day, or roughly eight years after the series ended.

Netflix announced in April that the four-part continuation will launch later this year, though an official premiere date is TBD.

1. David4 says:

Boss? Boyfriend? FWB?

2. Jennifer says:

I love Gilmore Girls. I cannot wait for the episodes on Netflix. However, this cast is getting so bloated I don’t know what’s what anymore. I’m hoping that this doesn’t end up being a huge disappointment.

• jj says:

Gilmore Girls has always had a large collection of characters.

• Jennifer says:

Yes, this is true. but most (if not all) of those characters are in this – as well as SO MANY others. It’s getting to be over the top

• Hmm says:

Well, GG always had a huge supporting cast because Stars Hollow as a town is a character itself. They’ve always done a great job balancing the large supporting cast against the leads.

• Temperance says:

There are 4 90-minute movies, so the equivalent of 6 episodes. There is plenty of room. And, honestly, there are probably a ton of cameos at a Star Hallow festival, etc. A glory shot or one line in passing is all most will get anyway.

• LaDonna says:

When you considered commercials, each episode was about 45 minutes, so really, we’re getting 8 episodes. That’s more than enough time to feature all of the characters of Stars Hollow. Most will have only short appearances, and your aforementioned glory shot (love that phrase, by the way!) so I think they’re fine.

3. ToyCannon says:

Finally, a love interest for Michel?

4. cycworker says:

Yuck. I cannot stand Dan Bucatinsky.

• Temperance says:

He’s really excellent, but I’ve never (and will never) see him on Scandal. Perhaps you just don’t like this character. It was amusing to me that he was ‘most famous; for a show I didn’t know he was on and don’t like. He’s done tons of stuff, including writing and starring in All About The Guy and co-creating Why Do You Think You Are? with Lisa Kudrow.

• lkh says:

hmmm, I think of him in Web Therapy first, he was a character but also co creator and executive producer. He’s smart and clever and funny. I guess he did get killed in Scandal…and so it goes.

5. Hmm says:

Please let him be Michelle’s fiance. Please!

• Nope says:

Michelle is not gay.. He is attracted to women and he talks about it in past episodes.. Also, it says that this character will primarily be with Rory.

6. Tee says:

He almost looks like a younger version of Edward Hermann. Maybe a flashback?

7. Dianne says:

I cant wait for Gilmore Girls to start. Never missed a program. I LOVE IT. Thankyou for bringing it back. So excited. Need uk release date asap.x

8. Dianne says:

I love Gilmore Girls. Never missed a program. Thanks for bringing it back. Need Uk release date ASAP.X

9. SImone says:

Wild Speculation, of course. But I’m guessing he’s part of Rory’s journalism work stuff :)