Hannah Huston

The Voice Top 10 Performance Recap: Rolling in the Deep End

It gives me no pleasure to kick off my recap of The Voice Top 10 performance night with this tweak of a popular children’s song, and yet… it’s the most honest expression of my feelings about the obvious choice to go home on Tuesday’s results telecast.

One of these singers is not like the other
One of these singers just doesn’t belong
Can you tell which singer is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Sorry, Daniel Passino! Here you are brave enough to admit on national television how online criticism has shaken your confidence, and what do I go and do but tell you that you’re not cutting the mustard? (Actually, is there any molecular structure unable to cut through mustard? Scientific types, hit the comments and discuss!)

Trouble is, nine vocalists this week delivered solid-to-spectacular performances, while He With the Glorious Swoop of Hair dropped a glory note horrifying enough to send that drenched, black-haired chick from The Ring scuttling back into her TV set and crying for mommy.

Trust and believe I’ll dole out some other nitpicky criticisms of singers not named Daniel as we get to my letter grades for all 10 performances, so read on!

Daniel Passino – Aerosmith’s “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” — Grade: D+ | Putting aside the next-level dreck of his song choice, the opening third wasn’t bad (save for the pageant arm on the first verse). But after that, this performance collapsed in on itself like a half-baked souffle getting tossed into a subzero freezer. Plus, Daniel sent the SwayBots into overdrive — and SwayBots are pure evil. If he’s not sent home on Tuesday, then everything is called into question: Adam and Blake’s bromance. Pharrell’s love of a knit cap. Xtina’s ability to execute a run. EVERYTHING.

Shalyah Fearing – Emeli Sande’s “My Kind of Love” — Grade: B+ | OK, so I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: From a purely technical standpoint, Shalyah is kind of a mess, an imperfect teenage soul belter who makes you realize how good Season 8’s Koryn Hawthorne really was. But botched notes and excessive volume aside, there was something so magically raw about Shalyah’s interpretation that I had to just smile and bop my head. Because while the sparse arrangement exposed some of her youthful shortcomings, it also allowed us to experience an emotional ferocity that very few Season 10 performers have come close to matching.

Nick Hagelin – Michael Jackson’s “I Can’t Help It” — Grade: C+ | I have to give credit where it’s due: While Nick’s vocals the last few weeks have been weaker than a wet bargain-brand paper towel trying to hold up an anvil, this week, dude significantly improved his pitch and was only drown out by the band toward the very end of his number. Still, I can’t be the only one who wanted to cover my eyes with my hands, to block the second-hand embarrassment of watching a grown man swivel his hips against a metal chair inside an imaginary box/cage contraption. I mean, if you’re covering Michael Jackson and you wanna get down — then get down. Don’t offer up a sad spin, then point your leg to the right like Angelina Jolie posing for the paparazzi in a gown with a slit up to her hip! Sheesh.

Hannah Huston – Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” — Grade: A- | The Voice coaches have proven time and time again that they’ll give a standing ovation to just about anything — I bet they’d rise to their feet at a Kanye West “fashion” show — so how come only Pharrell got up for Hannah’s excellent, nearly pitch-perfect Adele cover? And why did Adam spend half his critique grousing about the gorgeous way she scooped the note on “alllll”? I get it: Girlfriend is a little too inconsistent for producers to back her as the Chosen One. But when you scale Mt. Adele and triumphantly plant your flag at the peak, that’s no small accomplishment!

Laith Al-Saadi – B.B. King’s “The Thrill Is Gone” — Grade: A- | The look of pure bliss on bandleader Paul Mirkovich’s face said it all: Dude was feeeeelin the blues being cooked up by Laith, via his transcendent guitar work and his loose but gritty vocals. Blake, of course, had a point that going forward, Laith needs to remember this is a singing competition (not a musicianship challenge), but if you can’t take some liberties in a week where you’re clearly destined to advance, what’s the point of it all, exactly?

Paxton Ingram – Celine Dion’s “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now” — Grade: B | Like Daniel, Paxton selected a song that — in food terms — is a giant vat of liquified Velveeta. Yet while the Team Blake underdog ran out of steam as he crescendoed on “it was more than any laws allow,” I can’t pretend he didn’t land most of his notes with an accuracy I wasn’t anticipating. As Xtina tried to put it nicely, “I was genuinely pleasantly surprised.”

Mary Sarah – Tammy Wynette’s “Stand By Your Man” — Grade: B- | First, the good news: Mary Sarah’s range is a terrific match for the high and cutting chorus of Tammy Wynette’s retro country anthem. Unfortunately, in order to land said notes, Mary had to start the verse at a much lower pitch, resulting in a string of unfortunate flat notes that veered from smokey at best to “girl, no” at worst.

Bryan Bautista – Romeo Santos and Usher’s “Promise” — Grade: B | Bryan confounds me. As Adam noted, the model-handsome Brooklynite might be one of the most vocally gifted artists in Season 10 — he’s got tone, range and rhythm for days. Unfortunately, though, dude is paired with Coach Xtina, a woman who doesn’t know the meaning of the word “excess.” And thus, “Promise,” just like Bryan’s last few performances, arrived at the table slightly overbaked, thanks to an unnecessary dog-whistle falsetto and a vibrato that was laid on a little too heavily. Yes, it was mostly in tune and quite pretty in spots, but dude needs to strip back the arrangement and quit trying so hard if he wants to have any shot of making the finals.

Alisan Porter – Patti Griffin’s “Let Him Fly” — Grade: A+ | It may be impossible for any contender to push past the woman who’s been the Season 10 front-runner ever since her Episode 1 Blind Audition, and I can’t be mad about it. Alisan brought such origami delicacy to this letting-go anthem that it damn near broke my heart. And yet her brute technical strength — the way she can hold and caress a note while making it soar with the power of a jet engine — is almost otherwordly impressive. The sparse, acoustic arrangement of “Let Him Fly” allowed us to hear all of Alisan’s gears – and the broken-down beauty of her softer tones — better than we have since “River.” Here’s hoping Xtina sees the expected surge on iTunes and keeps her best chance at winning from going overboard with bombast between now and the finale.

Adam Wakefield – Ray Charles’ “I Got a Woman” — Grade: B+ | Adam’s been one of my faves all season, but after his iffy Journey last week and his competent but by no means revelatory Ray Charles cover tonight, I’m starting to think he’d be wiser to stick with soulful country than attempt to cover straight-up soul. Mind you, dude’s piano solo was slick, but his vocal lacked the necessary abandon on the choruses to convince me Adam truly understood or felt the sexual/emotional fervor of the lyric. The pitch and tone, as always, qualified Adam for a B+… but that’s the kind of complacency that could find him falling short of the finale.

Should Be Bottom 2: Daniel and Nick (Daniel going home)
Will Be Bottom 2: Daniel and Nick (Daniel going home)

Who do you think will and should go home on The Voice Top 10 results night? Vote for your faves in our poll, then off in the comments!

1. Mo Saïd says:

Alisan was UNREAL!!! Just UNREAL!

• Leah says:

Oh brother. No, she really wasn’t. Screeching isn’t singing. Enough already.

• 100 percent in agreement. Alisan was fantastic.

• OhMy says:

She was fine,. But it isn’t much of a song. I went back to listen to the Dixie Chicks’ version, and while the voice is stronger and richer there than Alisan’s (no shame there, they are professionals) it’s still a pretty boring song, I’d give it an A- which is still pretty good, though he does have high register problems.

• Cagney says:

Actually, I thought it was a terrific song and my favorite performance from Alison this season. But then I am partial to Patti Griffin.

• OhMy says:

It just seems to me a bit melodically and lyrically trite. But, we aren’t all the same.

• Ani says:

Totally agree with you! Alison didn’t sound as pure as Patty Griffin does, but a beautiful version of this song nevertheless!

• Cagney, thank you. I’m a big fan of Patty Griffin. Allison did fine but not many can fill Patty Griffin’s shoes IMHO

• And to be fair, the Dixie Chicks are also a trio. (or were, rather.)

• OhMy– I don’t know the Dixie Chicks version but Patty Griffin wrote this song,along with a zillion other songs. It is so not boring. . It shows how you have to let go of someone who is abusing you. You need to listen to the Queen of American Folk Music, Patty Griffin who also wrote the MLK song that was sung by Kelly Clarkson. Patty Griffin’s voice and rendition of both songs are better IMHO

• lamancho says:

Love her want her 2 win

• davmon says:

Slezak and you definitely have Alisan Fever–along with the show producers. But I felt Laith, Bryan, & Adam were better tonight, while Alisan, Hannah, & Mary Sarah were right behind….Sorry about the gender thing, but it is how it seemed to me tonight. But I had all 6 of them with A+ to A-. And folks I have been unrelentingly critical for weeks. So, it was nice to hear a lot of good songs sung well.

• Princess says:

I actually agree somewhat. I enjoyed the three guys you mentioned more than any of the girls tonight. Alisan was easily the best of the girls though.

• LIzzie says:

Idol is the show where they focus on a split between the boys and the girls, The Voice has been more about what race is represented – neither of which has anything to do with who sings the best, though.

• annican says:

Funny those were the three I picked from tonight. It was actually a good week tonight for most of them.

• Russ says:

I agree with your top six. But I thought Hannah, Adam, And Sarah were the top three. While a pretty song by Alisan, it felt a little safe compared to many others tonight. I also thought all the girls sent a message to Alisan tonight. She better show some growth or she might get knocked off.

• joy says:

I agree with two of your choices. I thought Mary Sarah was awful. I’ve been raised in country music and I don’t get her following. She is beautiful in the upper range but terrible in any other range and it butchers the songs.

• Belinda says:

Mary Sarah actually has a more pleasant-sounding upper register than either Alisan or Hannah (who both sound like someone slammed a cat’s tail in a door on their high notes, particularly Alisan). Sadly that is about all Mary Sarah can do well while the other girls are better in all other areas. She is a one trick pony basically!

• danin says:

Joy, I totally agree w/you.Slezak was pretty generous w/Mary S.And Hannah had the biggest challenge taking on Adelle(who isn’t my cup of tea.) How many have failed and that attempt?! Hannah was very strong. She uses her voice well& really dug in deep,more deeply than before.And yet I have liked&love her before.The thing is Alison keeps picking to my ear better songs.Bayou,River&now this Patti Griffin song.Personally, I like that song w/more grit,which Alison doesn’t have.But she created a beautiful moment.I wish Hannah would find that magical song or songs like she did w/Unaware.I’m not so hot on Pharrell choosing her songs.His depth&breadth of knowledge for her voice seems stilted.And he picked Rolling In the Deep tonight.

• scott says:

Yeah, she has one wheelhouse frequency, and I’m not much of a fan of it

• Collin says:

I agree. Everyone stepped up tonight. I haven’t been a fan of Alisan but I thought she was great tonight. Didn’t hear as much screeching from her. I hope she stays in that lane.

Adam was awesome tonight! He’s the full package. I really feel no reason to go any further. Winner of the night.

Laith was great as usual. Didn’t like Blakes comment about him singing more. Laiths a extremely talented musician and that’s what makes him stand out IMO.

Hannah absolutely slayed the Adele song. I must say I was worried when I saw what she was singing. Adele songs have killed many contestants over the years. Hannah quickly erased my worries though.

Mary Sarah finally got back on track tonight. Classic country is where she belongs. If she stays on that track she could easily make it to the finale and even surprise people. I understand her lower register isn’t that good but her upper is the best in the competition. Very soothing. With the style of music she’s best at, she doesn’t need to be great on the lower register.

I don’t have much interest in the others so there’s really no reason to comment on them. They’re all good, well besides Daniel and Nick though.

Rankings tonight for me:
        Adam
        Hannah
        Laith
        Alisan
        Mary Sarah
        I think that’s a solid chance on being the finale. Although Mary Sarah could sneak in on Laith or Hannah. I see no way Adam and Alisan aren’t in it though.

• davmon says:

Really enjoyed your comments on Adam, Hannah, & Laith–and the order. You have Alisan & Sarah in 4th & 5th…My one diff is Bryan, who I feel is widely overlooked. I think he is the most talented of all. But has not been allowed to shine lately….For one, the mix was off again for him, so we have trouble hearing his subtlety. And there is the should-be non-issue of his being black & male & latino…which in this year of Trumpian voting may have some undeserved impact.

• Collin says:

You’re right I did overlook Bryan. He did do well. The only problem I had with it was some of it was in Spanish. I don’t speak spanish so it threw me off a little. It sounded good. I just couldn’t understand some of it. I don’t like when singers don’t enunciate well either. But Bryan is very talented and certainly belongs in the discussion. As far as the band, mix ect. I think it’s been off all year. For everyone. Not sure why that is but I thought they had issues with it on Idol too. I don’t think there’s any reason to bring race into it unless someone makes it an issue.

• Belle Ferrar says:

davmon, you just had to go off topic slightly with your stupid “Trumpian” voting and race bait leaning. It’s too bad people can’t leave the stupid alone and just enjoy the music and cheer on your favorite singers. smdh Bryan may be very talented but he has pitch issues and not everyone (black/latin/white) likes his style of music. Have you noticed NO one has said a thing about Paxton being super black with a super white hillbilly coach? Yeah, because none of it matters except the singing.

• Sue Whitmarsh says:

I agree with Collin. I thought Alisan did very well tonight. Much better when she’s not screeching (hurting my ears). Hannah was amazing. Adam and Laithe are so talented. When Mary Sarah is singing the right song, she is great (And I don’t care for country music). I liked Shaylah at first, but I think she needs to tone it down a bit….hopefully will have more vocal control as she gets older.

• Kbella says:

I agree with everything you said.

• Collin says:

Adam does absolutely nothing to help Shaylah. She is extremely talented. But needs serious help with vocal control. She has all the tools. She just needs to learn how and when to use them. I forget what Adam exactly told her in rehearsals but I believe it was something like let loose. Which is exactly the worst thing she could’ve done. He has no clue what to do with her. Looking back on the people Adam has won with in the past 2 things are clear. They were front runners from the beginning. And they didn’t need much coaching. Adam can be good at picking songs sometimes. That’s as far as his coaching ability goes though! He brings a lot to the show though. Blake is the only coach who has won with someone who wasn’t a front runner all year. He’s the only true coach in the bunch. He also seems to be the only one to stay active with them after the show.

• JM says:

It was nice to hear her stripped down and just sing with emotion. Very powerful.

• Puzzled says:

Goodness that woman is a screamer! Yes, it is my opinion, but I have become accustomed to turning down the volume when she sings. I will pose the question again too…how is a 35 yo OC woman with 2 babies in diapers going to have a career if she wins the Voice???? Anyone????

• lori says:

Lots of 35 yr old women with babies have careers. It’s 2016.

I did like Alisan’s tonight and usually don’t. You could hear more depth to it tonight.

• Exactly. There are women over 40 that are still slaying that game currently. Mariah Carey is currently on a successful, SOLD OUT European tour that has gotten rave reviews, Celine Dion has the most successful vegas residency in HISTORY. Madonna has achieved over 1 BILLION in revenue just by her tours ALONE. So no, women over 30 can still have a career.

• Jules says:

To be fair, every single one of those ladies has been singing and had careers since they were in their late teens and early twenties and had kids way later in their careers, after they were already established. Doesn’t mean Alisan can’t do it but it’s not exactly a fair comparison.

• LIzzie says:

Mariah Carey was a teen phenomenon and has sold millions of albums, Celine Dion began as a young teen, Madonna is the biggest success at self-promotion with a limited set of tools, but she also started young, with a lot of music success from the beginning.

• LIzzie says:

A woman with two babies in diapers is going to have a career by hiring a couple of nannies and other household help from her big fat Broadway paycheck.

• Pat says:

Just wish she would just sing and not bring her heart wrenching past into everything. Everyone has stuff.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

I think she sang beautifully, but I did not understand a word she said, so i did not connect with the beauty. She needs to learn diction and agree avoid her occasional bouts of screeching.

2. dj says:

I needed four favorite performances, and you only let me pick three. Such a good night on the Voice. Honestly, lately I felt like some of the nights were totally lackluster, but tonight was awesome. I agree with your bottom 2.

3. Kelly says:

Can’t wait for that girl who comes for Alisan (and anybody who dares to like her) every week to talk about how much she “screamed” this week…

Oh waitttt Alisan was perfect :) I love her belty and powerful as well but this is where you can tell how truly special she is. She was amazing!!

• Leah says:

She DID scream. You may enjoy the screeching, but she is not who you want to pretend she is.

• The last thing Alisan did tonight was screeching…I don’t know who you were listening to, but it wasn’t Alisan.

• Kelly says:

Can I ask you who you enjoy on this show? I’m just wondering what your taste is.. I only ever see you talking about how Alisan “screeches.”

I don’t mind that you think that way, of course – YMMV – but all you ever seem to do is comment on people who enjoy her. I’m just wondering who your favorite is??

• Bryan says:

maybe her winner picks are Nick and Daniel

• JM1 says:

Leah – you know what I dislike more than screeching? Whining.

• Jonah says:

And right on cue, lying Leah appears. Sad sack.

• TeamXtina says:

And you may pretend to be important in this situation but you’re not Leah.

• kevstar says:

Please. Go play in traffic. No one would miss you. And in case this message appears in the wrong place, it is meant for Leah.

• davmon says:

Hey, lay off! i do not think Leah or anyone else deserves this ridicule…Y’all are piling on!… Alisan HAS screeched. Especially last Tuesday on that dreadful Team Xtina mashup….Whatta train wreck!… But, back to tonight and screeching…No, not tonight….But Leah did not necessarily say she was referring to tonight, folks!…Anyway, Alisan was definitely top 4 or 5; and deserves to make the finals. It is fine that she has a loyal following. She does have an interesting backstory. And she was terrific on Bayou and River…. But some of us take it night to night. And she has her ups and downs. This season, I realize I probably do not have a favorite. No one has been consistent enough for me to lock in that one person is definitely most deserving.….But some are getting more consistent lately—namely Laith, Adam, & Hannah.

• Kelly, I think she already came for Mo upthread *LOL*

As a fan of Alisan this season I was really worried after last week’s performance tbh but this was EXACTLY what she needed to deliver – shades of her 2010 album, spare and stripped down, gorgeous. (This and River are my favorite of Alisan’s performances.) I also loved Laith’s The Thrill is Gone. I know these tv singing contests love to promote talented 16 year olds (and the judges act like being a talented singer at that age is equivalent to being a child prodigy a la Doogie Howser or Amadeus Mozart) but Laith and Alisan are reminders that age and genuine lived experience count for a lot and add a dimension that can’t be faked.

• Kelly says:

LOL – she did that after I posted it – but I mean, old habits die hard I guess :) But I agree about Laith too! I didn’t think much of him at the start of this thing but he’s been impressing me more and more each week. Artistry is definitely on display with those two.

• // Artistry is definitely on display with those two. //

Well said! Laith won me over the last couple of weeks as well. I would not mind him and Alisan as the Top 2.

• Venee says:

I agree with this! I’ve looked up quite a bit by both Laith and Alisan. They have paid their dues (not that it’s a requirement) There are others too( I don’t want to leave out Mary and Adam). These are the people who have spent night after night in half empty bars, doing countless performances and recordings, and for whatever reason haven’t broken through. This is why I’m glad they allow singers of all backgrounds on the show.

• joy says:

Yeah and didn’t you love how she could bring up the tears perfectly for the interview. All that acting paid off she can cry on cue.

• kevstar says:

You have the wrong name. Should have been called Misery.

• Puzzled says:

Exactly!!! If the show is rigged, why don’t the producers pick someone who has a chance at a career??? Allisan’s fandom will not take a 35 yo woman to superstardom!!! Hopefully she has a happy house husband who will pick up her slack!!!

4. Daniel, Nick or Shalyah were the weakest for me.

• OhMy says:

Agree.

• Smokey says:

At the moment, Bryan just hit #97 on i-tunes,,,,Paxton #87,,,, Hannah #54,,,,Adam #48,,,,,Mary Sarah #47,,,,,Laith #26……..Alison #18……………….all will change fast tonight and tomorrow on downloads, that’s just a snapshot of about 15 minutes ago.

• davmon says:

You nailed it–although I have Paxton tied with Shalyah.

• Princess says:

Yes, the B+ he gave Shalyah is absurd! Daniel and Nick both deserved D’s and Shalyah was only like a slight step above with a D+ or C-. Those three did the worst!

• JM1 says:

Mary’s choruses were very good but I did not enjoy her lower register on the verses. At all. She may be in my bottom 3. Her singing was more controlled and maybe a touch better than Shalyah’s, but I didn’t love it and I’d give Shalyah a half grade higher for the emotional investment.

• Ginger says:

I didn’t get all the fawning over Mary Sarah. It sounded like she started out too low and only parts of it sounded ok. Maybe it sounded good in the room, but it sure didn’t from where I was sitting.

• Gailer says:

Agree

5. Based on her performance tonight, it’s Alisan’s. I think we’ll get an Adam W/Alisan finale (with two other singers–Laith and Hannah, probably).

• That sounds about right.

• Princess says:

No it will be Laith and Mary Sarah. Hannah stands no chance of making it!

• JM says:

I fear you’re right, but I pray you’re not.

• analythinker says:

Compared to Laith, Alisan, and Adam, Hannah has better personality and The Voice voters historically voted for who they like as well as the voice. Arguably (or not) Hannah hasn’t had a slip up since Ain’t No Way (even that was not terrible).

• Princess says:

I have read many negative comments online (especially on Facebook) about Hannah’s “better personality.” Many feel like she comes off as a bit snobby and b—-y. You also seem to forget that voice voters are obsessed with blonde female country singers so Mary Sarah is pretty much a shoe-in. She has also done way better on iTunes. Hannah is in the same ballpark as Alisan only she’s not as good. She really stands no chance at all of making it!

• analythinker says:

If Blake keeps giving Mary good songs and Pharrell keeps giving Hannah overdone songs, then I guess we’ll see Mary in Top 4. As simple as that.

• davmon says:

Interesting! I do not know the truth. Except I know Hannah is a kindergarten teacher. Which means she is used to constant teaching moments. Making them share. Breaking up fights. Curtailing the dramas. Avoiding the meltdowns. And wiping noses….All while living in good solid Nebraska….And now she is stuck for months on end, missing her kids and the teaching. In laid-back Southern Cal in coked-up Hollywood, where people do not get into other people’s business and she is not in charge of anything. Even though she sees ample teaching moments with adults acting like children and needing lessons about sharing, fighting, dramas, meltdowns, and wiping out….So, yeah she is probably frustrated with being around so many adults presumably in charge who act worse than her kindergartners….But yes, Hannah is in the same LANE as the favored Ms. Porter. And the reality is that she has been more steady and has managed to finesse her upper range, while Alisan goes up-range to caterwaul about every other time out (but not tonight). Yet, Alisan keeps getting the face time in the promos, the pimp slots, and the coaches’ unmitigated sycophancy. Never Hannah. And yeah, that probably gets old. Like when the teacher has a favorite student. Or a principal has a favorite teacher. And it does not matter what one does. One will not get the attention one deserves. Because of favoritism….So, while chasing a music career in Hollywood, poor Hannah is likely struggling to get those essential teaching moments and propitious feedback which might propel her to graduate this self-absorbed adult music-class kindergarten! Even though she is a kindergarten teacher!….Oh, and another thing, Hannah is a very pretty young woman with corn-silk blonde hair and a healthy complexion from lots of fresh air and vegetables in Nebraska. And she may well be getting fed up with having to dodge the sophisticated crudity of one casting couch after another in dear old Hollywood!…I wish the dear heart well out there.

• Angie_Overrated says:

After tonight, I’m putting my money on Hannah. That was my favorite performance of the night by a mile.

• danin says:

analythinker,I agree. And Angie, I thought Hannah really dug into that song w/all of herself.I’m not a big Adelle fan.I do realize the Mt.Olympus people face when singing her songs though.And Hannah did it for me tonight too.I’d love to hear your thoughts on why she gets the big vote from you. I don’t have the technical knowledge to articulate it. Just as I said she dug in and used all of herself.And she surprised me for the accessibility of depth. She didn’t get overly emotional which when she does,I personally like.But she seemed to have more control of her voice.I wonder if she surprised herself by surpassing herself.

• tvlover44 says:

totally agree! and as slezak said, adam’s criticism was so frustrating. hannah deserved much more praise than she got. also agree with others, for as much as i loved her version of that adele song, she needs to sing something that is not so overdone and will sell well on itunes. really hope she makes top 4 and a great song choice could make all the difference!

• NotVirgin Mary says:

I am so glad that Hannah finally realized she is not a Black Woman. Those Diva classics were not doing her voice any justice, honey. Her voice does great inside of the pocket, but when she tries to do vocal improv, it just doesn’t work out. She needs a strict melody that doesn’t leave a lot of empty space. Let’s hope she continues pulling out performances like these out of her coochie.

• Babs says:

Hannah was great last night! I love how excited she gets at the end of her songs!

6. Mike says:

How does Paxton get a B+? He was forgetting words.

• Veronica Hart says:

I’m glad I’m not the only who heard that

• davmon says:

Shalyah and Paxton are running even the last two rounds. [Slezak has them both at B+, but I had them at B-.] She is young and has more raw talent. However, Blake seems to be doing more good for him than Adam is for her. Tonight, she had a good start & was ok first & second time high…but Adam encouraged her to go all out, so we had a second half of caterwauling that was not precious…but ended song quite well. Not her best…. Paxton was in a good pocket early…a few pitchy transitions…his big high note was off key. Middle of pack outings.

• It sounded like Shalyah was having to fight against the song and the arrangement for the second week in a row. Adam, she’s got a big voice but she’s NOT Kimberly Nichol. (or La’Porsha….or Tamar.) I give the girl props for rising above and not being swallowed by the song in the end, but Adam seems to have a very limited concept of what Shalyah can do.

• NotVirgin Mary says:

Oh Lord, you could practically hear Shalyah’s voice breaking at its seams. Her runs aren’t as fluid as they were a while ago. That technique is catching up to her, cause her voice sounded as limber as me at my first Yoga class (Not pretty). And what is with her song choices? Awful, awful, awful! Adam has no idea what to do with her voice, technically and song choice-wise.

• davmon says:

Adam has dialed it in all season. He’s seemed distracted all season. Maybe the reported feuding with Miley. And especially the pregnancy of his lovely wife with their first….But remember him bumping Mike Schiavo in favor of Caroline, after making him sing an octave higher to boost her? And I thought he was gonna succeed in sabotaging Laith too. I think Laith decided to ignore him. And he is doing great. Poor Shalyah is only 15 or so and does not have the experience or confidence to say, hey dude, that is way too high for me to sing at full blast and have any semblance of control!…Still, with Laith and Shalyah, he is really the only one besides Xtina who has too good artists left (Alisan and Bryan). Laith is great; and Shalyah could be (but perhaps only with another coach).

• I found myself giving Shalyah points for having to fight against the song and the arrangement and not giving up. The girl has pluck and determination to spare. And in a few years, she’ll have a much better sense of who she is as an artist.

Agree that Adam has NO idea what to do with her, whatsoever. And I really do kind of wish that these shows would raise the age limit for contestants. I can go to the local high school talent show if I want to watch a talented teenager.

7. Bryan says:

My Kind of Love for another Team Adam contestant,

8. Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

If you thought that ALISAN screemed this week, just walk out of the conversation. What are you gonna so? Get mad. All well, it’s your loss. Now, as I was saying. ALISAN PORTER, that was GORGEOUS!!! The actually was the first performance that really hit me hard. I can feel her pain and angst in the lyrics. Also, Hannah you BETTER SANG!!! I also really liked Bryan, Laith, And even shaylah.

9. K ALberti says:

I wish the sound mixer would make it so you could hear the singer,so I could vote

10. davmon says:

Now this was a good night at The Voice….I had my Top 6 who I considered on a similar level—capable of very good nights, but a bit inconsistent: Alisan, Adam, Bryan, Hannah, Laith, Shalyah. But tonight, I have to move Shalyah down (after 2 mediocre weeks) and move Mary Sarah up to 6th (with her first great night since her Blinds). I felt Adam, Laith, & Bryan were outstanding tonight—A+ to A. While Alisan & Hannah (along with a resurgent Mary Sarah) were right behind them (A to A-).

• Smokey says:

Agree I thought there were more good performances than just fair to poor tonight, and for me, a lot of it comes down to song choice. I enjoyed Hannah a lot, she my sweet bae, Mary Sarah, Bryan and Adam did well with their choices, Laith was interesting and is gaining fans steadily. …….. bottom 2 likely to be Daniel & Nick — I suppose.

11. Veronica Hart says:

I think Daniel should go home, not good at all.

• davmon says:

Daniel seemed lost from the word go. Sorta demoralized. Like he had already given up. Voice had less brightness. High notes and falsetto were tacked on. He just does not feel the song, so wandered & inserted vocal skills willy-nilly. Not pretty…. His smile at the end was pasted on. Sad. He is no longer having fun…..And I am tired of beating up on the guy….Please let him go home and get some relief!

• Collin says:

The competition crushed him just like Owen last week. If he has to sing tomorrow it’s going to be ugly! I don’t remember any other season crushing contestants like this.

• He did. I felt bad for him. He’s obviously lost his confidence and I imagine he’ll relive his errors on last night’s song quite a few times. Even Pharrell, the perennially optimistic, couldn’t muster up much in the way of positive feedback.

12. CMG says:

Yet again, I think that Shalyah is ranked too high. She was probably the best I’ve heard her tonight, but there were still more rough notes caused by a lack of proper vocal control. She could actually be quite good if someone would teach her to sing properly, but the way she’s singing now, she won’t have a voice left by the time she’s 20.

I also think Paxton was too high. It was a bad song choice coupled with uninspired and insipid vocals. B- at best, possibly a C+.

• JM1 says:

Adam’s telling her to dial it up to 11 does her no favors. That’s a gorgeous song but it requires some vocal control. Screaming it does a disservice to both the song and her voice.

13. sourpatchadult says:

Laith, Adam and Alisan were the only ones I actually paid attention to. I cringed half of the time with Daniel’s performance. I like him but….no honey. Same goes for Nick. I’m glad Mary got a song that fit her this week, it was an improvement. I don’t know what has been up with this season but something is missing. Whatever “it” is, I hope it returns next season.

14. Chema says:

The best were Laith, Alisan, Bryan and Adam! Nick is AWFUL. Daniel is AWFUL. One of those two needs to hit the road!

• JM1 says:

From a pure singing standpoint, I agree with you. The thing is, I can see those last 2 fitting in on radio more than some of the better singers. I guess that’s where it gets tricky.

• Gailer says:

I agree, was just thinking today what a weak singer Justin can be especially live. Alisan may be great for this show, but not in the real world.

15. Princess says:

B+ for Shalyah. Are you deaf? That was like a C- at best. So many botched notes. She, Nick and Daniel were the worst by far.

16. tom says:

My thoughts are what does Michael have against traditional country music? It seems as if he will give anyone who sings an older traditional country song such as Stand By Your Man a lower grade than others. It doesn’t matter how great they do he just doesn’t like it. I thought Mary Sarah did a phenomenal job on her song.

• Princess says:

While the choruses were good, Mary Sarah was flat on ALL of the verses. B- sounds about right. The girl has an extremely weak lower register.

17. Alisan was Great!! She looked Beautiful!! What a!

18. Jack says:

All Daniel and Nick have to cling to are their sob stories. Daniel whipped out the “I’m bullied online” card while Nick has been disgustingly milking his son’s disability ever since his blind audition. Someone needs to tell the middle aged female voters that this isn’t some CHARITY event. These two suck so bad compared to all of the others and that’s saying a mouthful considering this is one of the weakest Top 12’s of all time.

• JM says:

I think you’re exaggerating. Daniel did not claim to be bullied nor did Nick mention his son. Are they weak singers? Yes. But let’s be fair in criticism.

• Princess says:

It actually is fair in Nick’s case. People clearly are voting for him in part because the story with his son was shown every damn week for like a straight month! They certainly aren’t voting for him because of his singing. Tonight he made Michael Jackson roll over in his grave.

• analythinker says:

I didn’t hear him milking it? If Xtina or the producers keep bringing it to the surface, I don’t think he should be blamed for it.

• Princess says:

They have done probably a half dozen little stories about his son this season so by this point all they have to do is cut to him sitting in the audience to remind people. It is clearly the main reason why people are voting for him since his singing is horrendous every single week. Perhaps it isn’t his fault and there’s nothing else “interesting” about him to talk about but it’s still annoying as f.

• analythinker says:

It’s because his voice isn’t interesting, what else can they go for? Heh. His kid sure is cute!

• Collin says:

I’m curious. Did you get a chance to talk to everyone who voted for Nick? How do you know why they vote for him? I agree. I don’t think he’s that good of a singer either. Atleast not compared to most of the others. But I also don’t think it’s fair to think no one should like his voice. Why take it that far?

19. Bea says:

I have no faith that America will make the right decision and send Nick or Daniel home. They’ll probably make a stupid decision and send Hannah or Shalyah home.

• davmon says:

Say it ain’t so, Bea! Please send Daniel home; he wants to go. He sang a let-me-outta-here version. And Nick…are you lucky or what? I expected a drop to 8 tomorrow–a drop of two. With only one departure, Daniel saved everyone else for this round….But Hannah? She is anywhere from # 1 thru 5 every night out….Shalyah? Well, she has not had good vocal control the last two weeks. And Mary Sarah had a better-than-usual outing. Plus, Paxton was as good as Shalyah; who has been better overall. Now it is night to night. But both MS & Pax are in the Blake tent. So Shalyah may be at risk soon.

• Bea says:

I just think that America will send someone in the middle of the pack home before sending a young, relatively attractive white dude home. Daniel is probably more likely to go than Nick at this point, but I think Nick has potential to beat out everyone except maybe Alisan and Adam because America doesn’t reward talent as it should until maybe close to the end of the show. Mary Sarah will probably stick around because of similar reasons.

20. The Beach says:

I think that’s a pretty generous grade for Brian. I heard quite a few bum notes.

21. JM says:

Oh, Pharell, don’t let the door hit ya on the way out, buddy. How could any good coach let Daniel sing THAT song?? That overdone, melodramatic song? It would’ve been kinder to just give him a watch with a retirement card.

• Smokey says:

A good observation. Overdone, tired-out old songs of no significance in today’s music. Some old songs are just good and fine to cover, for the right singer. That was boring and worthless. Will probably get him sent home.

• analythinker says:

This. I have been questioning Pharrell’s song choices since the beginning. He’s done so good at the start of the season, but he’s back to those overdone songs with big band production. Doesn’t he realize this is what drives voters away?? Watch Hannah in the bottom three this week. IMO, he’s at the very bottom of the coach list to understand how a voice suits a song or vice-versa. Adam (or Gwen) is the best, although the execution isn’t always good.

• LIzzie says:

Gwen is a terrible coach, you’ve got to be kidding. Pharrel has been kind of whacked in his decisions and the nonsense he says about his singers after they perform, though. Can someone please dress the guy? A pink knit cap, are you kidding me?

• analythinker says:

I don’t think Gwen is a terrible coach. She has ears for matching contestant’s voice and songs, I can’t deny that regardless the outcome. Pharrell is genuine, that’s his plus side.

22. davmon says:

Laith was IN HIS WHEELHOUSE!!! There is no competition if he does BB King! Spot on!!!….And Blake what were you doing? Guitarist jealousy? Or just a defensive & desperate attempt at shade—to help Adam?….It is not how much you sing, but how well!!!!…Besides, Adam can fend for himself just fine; he was great doing Ray Charles.

• The Beach says:

I have always loved the blues and B.B. King so I guess it’s no surprise that Laith, both his singing and guitar work, was my favorite tonight. I really liked Adam as well and think Alisan went returned to the type of singing that made me like her in the first place instead of the diva belter that Christina was trying to turn her into.

• I don’t understand how Blake can criticize Laith for his musicianship but be totally cool with Adam being behind the piano. Double standard, much?

• JM1 says:

I think Blake was saying that Laith is as good of a singer as he is a guitarist, so he shouldn’t sell his voice short. It just came out awkwardly!

• Blake was referring to the balance. Laith sounded wonderful, but it’s a repetitive song, so we didn’t get vocal variety, and Blake referenced the voice and guitar work being more 50/50. Adam’s piano solo (which was terrific) was much shorter. Don’t get me wrong, I loved what Laith did, but I agree with Blake that in a singing contest, he needs to be careful not to focus on guitar over voice.

• Ok, that makes sense, thank you! (I see the show in segments and don’t catch everything I admit.)

Kinda OT – is there any feeling amoung folks here as to whether or not being allowed to play one’s own instruments is fair to those who don’t play? I know Mindy Doolittle had feelings about this on Reality Check a few years ago.

• Collin says:

I don’t see any problems with contestants playing instruments vs ones that don’t. Time after time they are told to be themselves. So if that means playing instruments or not playing I think they should do whatever it is they want to. I think Laith is a breath of fresh air. Very talented musician and singer.

• She was opposed to it, Janice? What was the reason–unfair advantage? Sometimes when people play an instrument they focus on it (or hide behind it) to the detriment of their vocal performance. I guess in a way it wouldn’t be fair if people voted for Laith, for example, because of his amazing guitar-playing in a vocal competition, but as Collin says, it’s part of who the total musician is. I can appreciate someone being gifted on an instrument, but I’m always paying attention first and foremost to the singing. But I used to sing in choirs and only played piano (badly) as a kid, so I’m more focused on singing anyway. It would be interesting to get the viewpoint of people who play an instrument.

23. JM says:

Hannah overcame Pharell’s bad song choice, and still sang well. Good for her. And might I add, she looked outstanding in that jumpsuit!

• JM1 says:

I was nearly rolling in the deep myself . . . at that song choice. What the heck was Pharrell thinking? Hannah sang well, but Adele’s shadow is just too long for anyone with any sense to be singing her.

Side note: Hannah’s nervous ticks make me nervous.

• There are some great tracks on Adele’s albums that would be great on shows like this but they never got radio play and so the hits get trotted out ad nauseous. It would be nice if someone dug a little deeper for song choices. The song choices on the Voice are as old fashioned as on American Idol.

• Gailer says:

No one should cover Adele, I agreed with Adams assessment

• davmon says:

That is a tough song for anyone. Plus, no one can match Adele. So one hoped Hannah would not embarrass herself….But lo, she did very well….First 3rd was good, middle 3rd had some struggle….then last 3rd she settled in comfortably and in command. Very nice. And very brave!

24. davmon says:

TOP NINE? ReallY?….So we go from 24 to 12 to 11 to 10 and now 9….Four rounds from 24 to 9—and the drop-off rate is 12-1-1-1….Why not something more reasonable like 24 to 20 to 16 to 12 to 9–with a drop rate of 4-4-4-3?…[This is a recording….This is a recording….]

• analythinker says:

Lol. I agree. Although I could get on board with 4-4-3-3-2-2-1-1-1. 10 weeks from Top 24 until finale.

25. analythinker says:

While I don’t think Alisan screamed (or screeched or shouted) tonight, she did go sharp a bit on “no rest at all” and “the proof is in the fire you touch before”, but this might be considered too critical. The thing is, a lot of people liked her audition for the lilting element of it, and I can understand if people miss that element. Tonight, it has that.

• It says a lot about the quality of her performance when “she did go sharp a bit” on two phrases is the worst we can say about it.

• analythinker says:

On this song. And it shows on iTunes. The reason she didn’t top iTunes (of all the contestants) on previous weeks? The sharpness was in more than two phrases.

• danin says:

Well why not comment on her. The only 2 who got criticism from freaking Adam&Blake were Hannah&Laith.Wth..so weird when they find the oddest little Timex to criticize and say absolutely nothing to the biggest offenders. BTW, this is the time in the season when the frontrunners will get the pimp spots. Hannah was getting to go last or near last for a few weeks,and I knew last week she would start to be shifted toward the beginning of the night just like last year.They bumped Jordan up to the pimp spot when the field really began to narrow.Welcome to the pimp spots Adam&Alison.

• davmon says:

So rightabout the critical comments from Adam & Blake. Oddly enough, Hannah was not on Adam’s team nor Laith on Blake’s. But after ten seasons, Adam felt comfortable cutting down the leading talent of Pharrell, while Blake did the same to Adam…You’ll notice they laid off Xtina. They did not want claws shredding their faces.

• danin says:

I think Xtina was screaming for Hannah at the end when the audience was clapping. Pharrell kept looking over at her. High praise! Too bad Xtina couldn’t comment cause I think she would have had nothing but good things to say to Hannah.Pharrell better get on his game or Hannah has to come up w/songs that are as moving and beautiful as the ones Alison is picking, like River, Bayou and Let Him Fly. There’s got to be something like Unaware out there for her. I keep suggesting some beauties like Inconsolable by Jonatha Brooke or Another Song by J. Timberlake but of course my suggestions are falling on deaf ears and getting lost in cyberspace.Someone way up above said Hannah is superb in the pocket and I agree. Anything outside of that is not her strong suit. While Alison has airyness in her voice Hannah has that solid middle place.

26. Melanie M says:

I think the grades for Paxton and Shalyah are much too high and the grade for Adam too low-that was an A- performance at the least and I thought he was better than Hannah.

Thought Daniel, Shalyah, and Nick were awful and Mary Sarah was not much better. Loved Laith, Alisan, Adam, and Bryan in that order. And I am so tired to having 16-year-olds like Shalyah pushed at me both on this show and on Idol. Give me someone with some real life experience and with a wide-ranging knowledge of music like Laith, Alisan, and Adam anytime

• // Give me someone with some real life experience and with a wide-ranging knowledge of music like Laith, Alisan, and Adam anytime //

THIS. I’m glad to see I’m not alone in this. Age and experience do matter, it shows in the best performances tonight (Laith, Alisan, Adam left the kids behind. I’m in Bryan’s corner but I thought tonight’s performance was a little uneven.) I’m tired of judges cooing over 16 year olds.

• “I’m tired of judges cooing over 16 year olds.” Yep.

• Collin says:

I completely understand where you’re coming from. But I also like to see people grow and learn. It’s exciting to me. Obviously you’re not going to see the same kind of growth between a 16yr old and a 40yr old. And unfortunately Shalyah isn’t getting the coaching she needs. It’s good to have a balanced show. I read a comment earlier that said “if I want to hear a teenager sing I would go to a teen talent show”. Well I could say the same thing about the older contestants. If I wanted to hear them sing I could go to a bar in Nashville. The greatest thing about this shows is it takes the best talent around, old and young, and puts them on a stage for all to see. I certainly see where your coming from though. And my favorites are Adam and Laith. But without young contestants we wouldn’t be able to say I watched Carrie Underwood become a superstar.

27. Voice Fan says:

I am glad to see Laith, Mary Sarah, Adam and Hannah are climbing to the top of the I-Tunes Chart. I hope they make it to the top 10. What was Adam Levine blathering about after Hannah sang, criticizing her because she didn’t stick to the original and then saying he was stupid and a jerk? Hannah Houston’s performance was amazing. Her rendition of “Rolling in the Deep” reminded me of the songs Sawyer Fredericks sang. Laith gave me chills when he sang B B King’s “The Thrill is Gone” and played lead guitar which isn’t easy to do. His deep growly voice and incredible range and power is perfect for the blues. He is a phenomenal guitar player as well as a great singer. I hope he gets in the top 10. Not many singers could sing Tammy Wynette’s “Stand by Your Man” and do it justice. Mary Sarah’s range and power was incredible. She was already at Number four on the country chart before the west coast voters heard her sing and haven’t had a chance to download her song. Tammy Wynette is my favorite female classic country singer and Mary Sarah is my favorite female singer in this competition. Adam blew me away singing Ray Charles “I’ve Got a Woman.” He will get more than just the country votes because we can also hear southern rock and blues in his voice. I would have preferred the performance without the horns. I think they drowned him out. I would have preferred just hearing him sing while he played the piano. He was number three on the country charts before we even heard him sing on the West Coast. Even Paxton wowed me. Who would think he could sing a Celine Dion song. Celine is one of my favorite singers also. This is the first time I could listen to Alison Porter sing because she sang in a lower register and didn’t scream like she usually does. It was refreshing to hear her sing a country song. I love the Dixie Chicks but I don’t remember “Let it Fly.” Alison is in the top 10 already.

• Lynda says:

Patty Griffith” I’m going to let her fly.” Dixie Chicks did a cover I think. Alison did a very good rendition. I enjoyed.

• Smokey says:

Wee hours of Tuesday morning ;
      #94 I Can’t Make You Love Me -Hannah Huston
      #91 Blue Bayou Alisan Porter….
      #81 Stay With Me Baby ..Alisan Porter
      #77 I Don’t Want To Miss a Thing ..Daniel Passino….
      #43 My Kind of Love Shalyah Fearing…
      #41 I Can’t Help It ..Nick Hagelin…
      #28 It’s All Coming Back To Me Now..Paxton Ingram..
      #25 Promise ..Bryan Bautista…
      #16 Rolling In the Deep ..Hannah Huston…
      #4 Let Him Fly…Alisan Porter….
      ???? don’t know why some of the others are not showing right now, I know Adam is like #2 in country category.

28. Marie says:

Laith is wonderful and it sickens me the little respect he gets! If he were some cute 18 year old with “nice hair” he would have this competition under wraps!

• davmon says:

Great point! Let’s put him in an off-shoulder number like Mary Sarah with a mid-thigh hemline….On a big a hairy guy, it is bound to be Viking sexy….Of course when they do that, they usually throw in a hymn. I do not know if Laith is Iraqi Christian or Muslim heritage, but if willing, i am sure he could knock out Go Down Moses with his low tones….But seriously, the guy is growing on us all. He is really good. And since Adam gave up trying to have him sing too high; he has settled into a zone of good work.

• Kbella says:

Who’s not giving him respect? He’s been voted through every week and all the comments I read about him are complimentary. His album sales are up and he’s charting well on I-tunes. I’m confused by your comment…

29. Marie says:

Does the + on Michael’s scale mean “Has a vagina” because he never seems to give such a glowing score to the guys. My ears told me Laith was every bit as good as Alisan if not better.

30. dj says:

Has Daniel made the top 200? Couldn’t find him on the chart.

• Marie says:

No he is currently #247. Shalyah and Nick are in the 100s and everyone else is currently 60 or above. Alisan is the only one in the Top 10 (at #10 actually), followed by Laith at #18. Alisan will likely be the only one this week to get the multiplier, though there’s an outside chance Laith might but I doubt it.

31. Ron says:

Adam really care tonight. Has the nerve to comment on the 1% of an opponents song and goes ape crap when Blake correctly states Adams team member song was 50% guitar. No other judge has slammed another team tonight. Adam needs to take a season off.

32. Jerry L Campbell says:

Laith needs to do JOE COCKER , he sounds just like him and could kill one of his songs…either, leave your hat on, or U ARE so BEAUTIFUL..

• Polarvortex says:

He did do Joe Cocker’s version of” With a little help from my friends”

• fiberlicious says:

Which is actually a Beatles song. Cocker covered it. I’d like to hear Laith do ‘You can leave your hat on.”

33. West Coast Girl says:

Who would I love to listen to driving through the mountains…… not Alison. I mute the TV every time she sings/screams.

34. K says:

Can’t say I agree with Hannah’s A. It was a B at best. I was waiting for “Rolling in the Deep” to soar, like it should at some point, and it never did. She just doesn’t fully have the vocal power to pull off all these big soul songs she keeps getting.

• If Hannah is the default “indie” singer since Emily was booted, (or at least that’s how I classify her in my mind) why not give her songs by Sia, Christina Perry, Fiona Apple, Bjork…really any number of female singers who are not named Adele? One of the worst aspects of these sorts of shows are judges / mentors and producers trying to turn the artists into something they aren’t, and valuing “big” over intimacy and control. (ie last week, xtina telling Alisan to go big and theatrical rather than bluesy with Stay with Me. Wrong, wrong, wrong. We’ve seen it time and again.)

I want to like Hannah but something is keeping me at arms length and I can’t put my finger on it. I find her more interesting than Mary, but when I watch her I’m almost holding my breath until the end “Oh good, she made it.” I don’t worry she’s going to burst into tears midway (as I did with poor Emily) but there is something about Hannah’s persona or aura onstage that reads as “fragile” to me? I’m having a hard time articulating it.

• danin says:

I love Hannah. None of that bothers me, it makes me pull for her more. She was delightful and spontaneous several times over the course of this show and that sticks w/me. An actual, alive real human being. I just wish she or Pharrell or whoever is picking songs for her would find ones that make me melt. Like w/Unaware. For me Alison has picked 3 beauties.River,Bayou&Let Him Fly.And as we all know half the battle is song choice.

• Danin I agree that song choice is half the battle – maybe more than. I would love to see Hannah really connect with a song that suits her because there is obviously genuine talent there. I’m amazed with four judges and all these connections to the music industry, song choices are so often as fusty or inappropriate to the artists.

35. LeahIsTrash says:

Leah you’re a disgraceful troll and I know you’ll see this since all you do with your pathetic, miserable life is go through these comments since you have nothing better to do.

• Stephanie M. says:

Why is she a disgraceful troll for sharing her opinions?? Is freedom of speech no longer allowed?

36. kevstar says:

Alisan Porter. YAAS!

37. trich says:

Alison porter I would love to hear some Joan jet from her think she would just rock

38. Mary says:

Brian is humble and unafraid of exploring his roots. “Fresh” and exciting! Always look forward to his performance.

39. Maddie says:

I so have to disagree with you about Hannah. First off, I’m so incredibly sick of people singing Adele or attempting to sing Adele on reality/competition shows. Second, there is always the inevitable comparison between Adele and the pool slob who thinks that singing one of her songs is a good thing. Hannah didn’t try to do enough to make the song her own and failed miserably (to me, anyway.)

40. trich says:

Adam waiitfield I would love to hear him sing one wing in the fire from Trent tomlison. Since this season has been a gospital. Let put country style in too

41. trich says:

Omg Hannah u r one of my favorites this season keep it up

42. Melanie says:

Guys stop picking on Leah!!! I’ve seen some of her comments and they’re critical, yes, but a girl is entitled to her opinion, no? I for one think Alisan’s talent is way overblown on here. Adam, Hannah, LAITH, were all good tonight. Let’s allow everyone the freedom to express themselves….

• Collin says:

She absolutely has every right to voice her opinion. But everyone is getting sick of her because all she does is come on here and bashes Alisan. I’m not sure if I’ve ever heard her say who she likes or actually ever comment on anyone else. Why come on here and just be negative about someone? Makes no sense to me. I don’t care for Alisan either but there’s no reason to just come on here and comment about how bad you think a contestant is over and over!

• Melanie there are plenty of people here who don’t like Alisan but are able to articulate why in a civil way, and talk about who and what they do like. I have no problem with that. Telling everyone over and over “you’re not hearing what you think you’re hearing!” (exact words) and dismissing the musical intelligence of anyone who doesn’t agree is another matter altogether. I’m going to take issue with that and I think most people would.

• Kbella says:

I just ignore her.

43. Carrie Murray says:

It was nice to hear Alision just sing, and not yell. Definitely thought that Hannah rocked it. What was up with Christina not standing for Adam?

• JM1 says:

Xtina stood only very briefly for even her own team. She was undoubtedly wearing 10 inch heels which, coupled with her boobs falling out of her shirt, made it hard to stand. Hehe.

44. Idolhead Ed says:

Laith was 50% guitar tonight and I liked him more because of it. But tonight showed he is a guitar player who sings not the other way around. My order of the night:Alisan,Adam,Sarah,hannah laith then the rest all jumble together. I will say though Alisan was on a different level than anyone else. She sells a song better than anyone. Age and acting it seems go a long way. I do think she wins and the voice will finally get their Kelly clarkson.

45. Timmah says:

Laith and Alisan were the standouts for me. The others ranged from ok (Adam, Bryan, Hannah, Mary Sarah, Paxton) to bad (Shalyah, Nick, Daniel).

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’d add Hannah to your top 2. I really liked Laith and Alisan as well.
      One thing is very clear is who the next three to go are.

• Timmah says:

To be honest, I fast forwarded through most of Hannah’s performance, as I usually do. She’s a good singer to be sure, but I just find her delivery to be really predictable and boring.

• danin says:

Angie, you’ve got to articulate why Hannah was so so good last night. I am in agreement w/you. I love her delivery, her phrasing in past performances has been refreshing!

46. Billie says:

Was I the only one who thinks that Nick was actually worse than Daniel tonight? They were both very poor. But I really only physically cringed 4 or 5 times during Daniel’s performance (plus a hard shudder for that last glory note) but I definitely never stopped cringing during Nick’s. How did the judges think they could hear Michale Jackson? Have they heard him before?

• davmon says:

You’ve been to occasional concerts–and the decibel level hurt your ears? Adam, Blake, Xtina, & Pharrell have performed a lot of concerts….Answer #1: Their hearing is badly damaged….Answer #2: The song reminded them of Michael’s version and they heard the angels sing.

47. Carla says:

Allison has already had her shot at fame and shouldn’t be allowed to participate. I’m seething every time she performs. Send her home and give someone else a break.

• Venee says:

Well Carla :In that case Mary and Laith better go as well. Did you not see Laith has 3 albums out and Mary has two out as well ? Heck they even went as far as to pimp Laiths old Albums on the show? Why single out Alisan?

• JM1 says:

Carla – Really? No second chances allowed in your world? And do you realize that the Voice producers go out and find singers like Alisan and ASK THEM to audition for the show? I.e., they want talent, period.

48. Laith was thrilling to listen to tonight! He deserved an A + in my book. I could listen to him all night. He is a true artist.

• davmon says:

Absolutely! And he was doing some jazz phrasing both vocally and with guitar. It was transcendent. The best of evening–at least until “Ray Charles” Wakefield finished the night. He was awesome too! Even so, I’d say Laith was a bit more perfect.

49. K.Taylor says:

Think Laith needs to get rid of the guitar for one night, it is called the voice, and he seems to be depending on the guitar playing to get him through, just saying

50. scott says:

Wow, my top 4 are in line with the voting for the first time in a long long time. Although the order not so much. When I first heard Laith was going to do BB, I was thinking, here comes a ho hum Thrill is gone. But man did he slay it! Good to see Alisan tone down the vocal acrobats. Hanna was her usual awesome self. And Adam, solid, again