Star Trek Reboot

CBS' Star Trek Series to Begin Shooting This Fall in Toronto

CBS’ new take on Star Trek is about to get beamed up — north of the border, to be specific.

CBS Studios announced via Twitter on Monday that the series — to be executive-produced by Hannibal‘s Bryan Fuller, who launched his career writing for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager — will begin shooting in Toronto this fall.

As previously announced, the new series will launch on CBS in early 2017, with all subsequent episodes then being available exclusively on CBS All Access, the network’s on demand and live streaming service.

CBS All Access — which already hosts every episode of every previous Trek series — offers thousands of episodes from CBS’ current and past seasons on demand, for $5.99 per month.

Per CBS Television Studios, “The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.”

The original, William Shatner-fronted Star Trek premiered Sept. 8, 1966.

Nicholas Meyer — who penned The Wrath of Khan film, as well as the fourth and sixth big-screen installments, The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country — will serve as a consulting producer/writer on the reboot.

Are you getting excited for a brand new Star Trek? Any casting ideas? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Steven says:

Too bad CBS doesn’t have the Superbowl next year. This would’ve been perfect for the Post Game slot.

• Jayemay says:

Since I stopped watching NFL football years ago, the post-Superbowl slot has become the “death slot” for me. Since the game coverage never ends when it’s supposed to neither I nor my DVR can ever get the start time right. I’m a completeist and given that shows tend to load up that slot with a major “event episode” that I inevitably miss, I wind up losing interest in that show.

I can name at least two series that I’ve definitely stopped watching after they got the post Super Bowl slot.

In other words, I, for one, am glad that Star Trek isn’t going in that slot. Because I for damn sure am going to use the quality of that episode to decide if CBSflix is worth a subscription.

2. TVFan says:

I think it needs a newly available “Captain” to be in command.
    Someone call up Stana and she if she is interested.

3. Mark D. Moss says:

Stoked about Brian Fuller taking the reins … as long at it ignores the JJ Abrams movies and returns a *soul* to the franchise. New is fine. I’m even ok with blowing off any and all “continuity.” But Star Trek was best when it fused a sense of morality and contemporary issues with great “space opera.” Explosions and CGI are *way* overrated.

• Tara17 says:

So agree, the new films don’t have a Star Trek vibe, that *soul*. They’re ok but they feel like Michael Bay read the Wiki page for ST and made a movie. I have high hopes for the new series.

• Temperance says:

Exactly. They assembled great actors that truly have chemistry and for their parts, and then saddled them with deeply flawed, not-Trek plotlines and world events. Grrr.

• Tom says:

no to blowing off continuity. That’s the biggest problem with the movies.

4. nabocane says:

Cast @DavidBlue, or burn in the eternal fires of hell. And Claudia Black!

5. A. D. says:

Please Dear God back in the original Timeline!

6. Billy Bob Johnson says:

As much of a Star Trek fan as l am, I refuse to pay CBS $6/mo just to watch ONE series.

• David4 says:

Because there won’t be other ways to watch it? None at all!

• gcw07 says:

Correct. At least so far from what they have announced. First episode will air on TV, but all the rest will be exclusive to their paid CBS app.

• David4 says:

Yeah. Right until the ratings on the app are bad. But they won’t ever release it on DVD or iTunes or anything else. It will be made, shown on a horrible app for a week then erased from history.

• Paul says:

This. If they want to wait for me to watch it when it comes to Netflix, or when they eventually decide to put in on their network or sell it to syndicators, fine. Zero chance I’m paying $72/year for one show, no matter how good it is. Because you know it will be very easy to subscribe, and very difficult to turn it off, probably requiring written letters or a telephone call to 1-800-Bangalore, where the reps have been told to make it very difficult to unsubscribe. Nor do I wish to encourage CBS in forwarding this loathsome business model; they already earn from adverts and cable bills.

7. David4 says:

The fact that Nicholas Meyer, who wrote the three best Trek movies is involved is amazing. This is long overdue and I hope takes place in the Prime universe.

8. Tom says:

I don’t like the term reboot. It’s not a reboot, it’s a continuation. Battlestar Galactica was a reboot.

• Temperance says:

We have no real idea if this is a redo, a spin-off, a reboot, or just fresh material set in the same universe.

9. Rebecca says:

Now since it will be filmed in Toronto, will anyone in Canada be allowed to even see the series? I’m not sure but isn’t The CBS app and streaming access geo-blocked? Maybe they can take a page out of CW. The Shadowhunters series airs on the CW in America but streamed with Netflix everywhere else.

• That was my first thought too… Bet I’ll get to see the trailers and location shoots but have to d/l it illegally to see the final product. Or wait for a year like with Warehouse 13.

• Captain Average says:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Shadowhunters does not air on The CW up here in The Great White North. It’s on Netflix.

The CW lineup here is exactly the same one you get in the Excited States.

• Caelinae says:

Shadowhunters doesn’t air on the CW at all. It airs on Freeform. ;)

• The Kaibosh says:

Is there really a difference?

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Well, one is (basically) a subsidiary of CBS, and one is (basically) a subsidiary of ABC, so… yes. Yes, there is.
            One is a network considered “broadcast”, one is a network considered “basic cable”, so… yes. Yes there is.
            One is forced to continue giving Pat Robertson airtime, the other isn’t. So… yes. Yes there is.

10. Ash says:

CBS shouldn’t make this show app exclusive, the need on the network. Their drama pilots are awful this year apparently.

11. Star Tripper says:

How ironic given CBS turned down the original back in the 60’s for Lost in Space.

12. Lily says:

If there is a god, Amy Acker will play the Vulcan science officer.

• Tom says:

I don’t think I’ve ever loved an idea more.

Well, aside from Felicia Day’s Supernatural character.

13. Arby says:

If the series is a Garbage of the Universe-type of affair, I won’t torture myself watching it.

14. Cat says:

Might watch the first episode on CBS…but no way I’m watching the series on CBS ALL Access.
    Hope this is a mighty fail for them.

15. Dan says:

They should have a non human be the captain this time.

16. tvjunkie says:

I won’t be paying $6 a month to watch 1 show when you have to watch it online. I’ll either wait for it to become available on DVD/BluRay or on regular TV. Also CBS is just begging for people to pir8 it by doing this.

• Temperance says:

I already skip most CBS shows, so I doubt I’ll consume the new Trek in the manner that want.

17. Johnny W. says:

Paramount Studios or GTFO!!!

18. Johnny W. says:

“Star Trek” on CBS “All Access” –

Boldly exploring new frontiers of piracy and illegal downloading.

Good luck with that, CBS!

19. Janet H says:

How can i get an application form for the new television series of Star Trek

20. Not excited. I don’t plan to spend $24-$36 just to watch a Star Trek series.
    Next…

21. John Harding says:

Keep in mind…if we are to base it on the original “canon”…James Tiberius Kirk…is, was, and always shall be…male!Fully male…not was something else Captain Kirk is a guy…period.

22. Paul Stevenson says:

Yannick Bisson from “Murdoch Mysteries”. Would be a good Captain Kirk! Very close likeness to William Shatners younger days I would say.