Exclusive
Scandal Recap

Kerry Washington's Pregnancy May Push Scandal Season 6 to Midseason

ABC may be facing a giant hole in its #TGIT schedule next season.

News that Kerry Washington is pregnant has the network weighing a series of options with regard to Scandal‘s upcoming sixth season. TVLine has learned exclusively that one of those options involves delaying the show’s return until midseason.

ABC is set to announce its fall schedule in two weeks.

This would be Washington’s second child with husband Nnamdi Asomugha. The actress’ first pregnancy fell during Season 3 and led ABC to trim the show’s episode order from 22 to 18. It also resulted in considerably less screen time for Washington, whose baby bump was not written into the show.

1. Rob says:

They should push it. It’ll give the writers time to retool the show because it’s a mess right now.

• Stacie says:

Yea. This may be a blessing in several ways. 1. Because it’s a baby, so good for her. But 2. This show is a mess right now. Having Olivia kill someone was an awful mistake. But it goes back to her being kidnapped. I know that they wanted the kidnapping to shape Olivia, but it did way too much. It changed the show, for the bad. The show has lost focus. Shonda and company have gone too far. I hope that the break will help them figure out how to refocus and get back to what people loved about the show.

• ABG says:

Really happy for her. Actually a shorter season might be good for the show as well.

• David4 says:

I agree. Push to mid season, maybe premiere it when Murder ends. The show in the first half of the season felt like the storylines were moving forward, Jake and B713 (or whatever it’s called) was gone and the story felt fresh and would move forward. Instead we get several episodes of garbage where nothing has really happened or when it does is silly and stupid and strange.

• Vanessa says:

They need to return the Olitz back and Jake needs to be out now. It is garbage and Olivia is now killing people too so I think they are losing their touch. They need to remember why the public loved the first season.

• Lee says:

Precisely. With the state of the ratings, this news is the least of their problems.

• Dude says:

It didn’t change anything last time. Scandal has had many opportunities to change course. They don’t want to change.

2. Ree says:

If they write her pregnancy into the show, they might as well sign its death warrant. The back half of this season, as bad as its been, has Olivia in a very bad mental health place. She’s just about the last person on Earth that needs a baby. Unless the pregnancy storyline involves a multi-year flashforward, there’s just no way.

Also, I’m a completely pro-choice/Planned Parenthood supporter, but two unplanned pregnancies for one 30-something [TV character] in one season? Seriously…

• David S. says:

1. Who says it was unplanned? The network might not have been informed, but that doesn’t mean she didn’t plan it.

2. It wasn’t the same season. Last time was season 3, this one is season 6.

• Emery says:

I believe ,she means her character Olivia Pope not Kerry Washington.

• @David- she’s talking about Olivia Pope who chose to have an abortion earlier this current season, not Kerry Washington who is having her second baby with her husband.

• :-) says:

I believe she means the character not the actress

• ohwell says:

I think he or she was talking about the charater being pregnant in season 5 , not kerry.

• They were talking about Olivia not Kerry. Olivia, the character has already had one unplanned pregnancy this season and they would prefer to not see another one in the same season

• Ree says:

Thank you — yes, I meant the character, Olivia Pope. Kerry Washington’s personal reproductive choices are definitely not my concern. I only comment on fictional characters! Shonda Rhimes doesn’t shy away from criticism, but I think this would be a bit much.

• Cheyenne says:

If they write her pregnancy into the script, how are they going to explain Olivia having two unplanned pregnancies by two different men in less than a year? And if they say this second pregnancy was planned (obviously the first wasn’t), how are they going to explain her deliberately getting pregnant by a man who was engaged to marry another woman? Any way you cut it, it’s a mess. The best thing (really the only thing) they can do is wait for KW to deliver and start shooting the next season afterward and launch it sometime in January or February.

3. Skittles&Bits says:

Push it back and fix it up please and thanks. It’s almost scandalous how bad Scandal has become since season 3.

4. SherryB says:

They use to put a pregnancy clause in contracts..Need to go back to that..Or put it in the storyline and move along..

• Lee says:

People used to do a lot of awful things, then they became more civilised and realised that you can’t prevent actresses from having children unless you’re going to do the same to actors.
      Anything else is horribly discriminatory and frankly, unnecessary.
      They should push back filming. Maybe it’ll give them a chance to fill up a few of those plot holes.

• Apt says:

The fact you’re woman makes your comment even worse. It’s her body and her choice.
      Congrats to Kerry and her family.

5. Kevin K says:

This season’s Scandal was the worst and that’s why I’m still done with the series 100%.

6. Brian says:

What sucks is, you wouldn’t mind seeing her character have a baby because it could be interesting because of her issues, but no way at this time since she’s really really in bad place mentally and emotionally and is involved with the god-awful Jake character who plays her “brother”.

7. HeyThere says:

Push to midseason with 13 episodes. So that the writers can make 13 great episodes rather than highs and lows 22 episodes.

8. Andrew Hass says:

First congratulation to Kerry Washington on her pregnancy.As for Scandal, i think ABC should miss it to mid-season and that way they could air all the episodes with no breaks in between.

9. justsomeguy says:

I think they should take a whole year off honestly. Scandal is so very, very bad now. Need to walk away for a while and come back with some half decent ideas for a season long story. Shonda Rhimes and the whole writing staff have been exposed with this season of Scandal. Yikes.

10. Shan says:

I bet the writers are wishing they hadn’t recently written an abortion for Olivia, otherwise they could’ve incorporated her pregnancy into the show. Now it just wouldn’t be plausible for the character & it seems they’re stuck in a bit of a hole. HA

• Nicole says:

The abortion was written in months before Kerry’s pregnancy, literally months, so what you’re saying wouldn’t even make sense because how would they know Mother Nature would bless Kerry? Nice try though

• Shan says:

Obviously I know that. What I meant was that if Olivia became pregnant again now (to fit in with KW’s pregnancy), it would no longer make sense for the character, as she’s only just had an abortion? So why would she get herself into that situation yet again???

• Kay says:

It could work. The reason she aborted the first unplanned pregnancy was because she knew she would be trapped into a relationship with Fitz if she had gone through with it and he would really never let her leave. If she got pregnant the second time around, maybe she’d go through with it since it’s most likely be Jake’s. Maybe Papa Pope wouldn’t go too crazy since it’s his first and possibly only grandchild? But then again…Papa Pope is crazy and utterly unpredictable HAHA.

Whatever the writers choose to do, it will be interesting to see how it’s dealt with because Liv is just in such a messy mindset right now.

11. Judiwb says:

Congrats to her and her husband. Will miss seeing it as it is part of my TGIT.

12. Sally McLinn says:

Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Didn’t they divorce?????

13. Ash says:

This is a blessing. ABC can use the Thursday slot for Quantico, The Catch or one of the new shows still in pilot stage such as The Death of Eva Sofia Valdez or Broken.

• a_lex89 says:

I was actually thinking about Designated Survivor, or Secrets & Lies that was just pushed back to Fall. But yeah, they have options for sure.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

Yep, I agree. ABC is at a key moment in the pilot process – they have options, as you and a_lex have noted. A good time for ABC to green light an extra pilot so that they can slot it into the Thursday lineup…

… or perhaps 10pm Sunday slot, and give Quantico a chance to either hit it big on Thursday nights, or not. But I believe ABC may want to see if Quantico can be a (big) hit series, sooner than later.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

… and of course, congratulations to Kerry Washington and her husband Nnamdi Asomugha. That’s good news to hear.

14. Nicole says:

It’s odd that all of the people saying Olivia shouldn’t have a baby (If the pregnancy is written into the show) are the same people who lost it over her abortion and suddenly possessed pro-life views. It’s almost like the difference between the past pregnancy and this possible pregnancy (IF the writers write it in) is having an impact on their decisions, hmm, I wonder what it is and I wonder why? *Side eyes you all*

Either way, I don’t care if there’s a push back and the season is cut in half, I’m a Kerry fan before I’m a Scandal fan and I’m over the moon for her and her family

15. Bessie says:

Wonderful news for Kerry W. and her husband! Congrats to them! Regarding the show, I agree it could benefit by time off. Olivia has become a murderer, not a gladiator.

16. liame says:

Write it in and make it Jake’s! He has to annihilate Poppa Pope without regret! (knowing Poppa Pope would turn his kid into a Zombie). Sorry Joe Morton (I mean It, I really love you) but you need to go for now. I’m sure they will find someone way to bring you back.

• AliCat7 says:

Jake baby? Yeah Jake’s bastard child. He is married so he’ll dump his new bride to go be with the woman he’s been cheating with. The last thing those 2 knuckle heads Olivia and Jake need is a baby.

• VIVIAN says:

I agree. Joe Morton needs to go. He creeps me out. I am afraid of him. I never know when he is seriously turning for the good. He is a very dangerous person. The character I am referring to.

17. kmw says:

They should push it back. Most of the time pregnancies can work for a show but it wont for Scandal, however congrats to Kerry Washington

18. Renae says:

Shonda has chosen to call her & Jake siblings. What a sick thought to be pregnant & having your ‘brothers’ baby. WTF

19. Freddie says:

I stopped watching a long time ago because I couldn’t find anyone to root for any longer, and I don’t care to watch a fictional show when I can’t root for anyone.

Having said that, it sounds to me like, if they wrote the pregnancy into the show, they could use the oldest, lamest trope in the book and just pretend that everything that’s happened since the last pregnancy was a horrible nightmare Olivia had. In other words, it never happened. It’s the stupidest plot device of all time, but it could solve the problem the show as a whole seems to have become.

20. TVPeong says:

Congratulations to Kerry and Nnamdi!

21. CA says:

Very happy for her. Here is a twist for you guys. What if, they keep the pregnant as part of the show as Jake’s baby??? Just saying it could be interesting, what would Papa Pope do?? What would Jake say?? And Fritz, how would he feel about it? I’m not saying they should do this BUT what if???

• Carol says:

Dumb idea to use a baby as a plot twist for a screwed up family. NO

Scandal already has poor Baby Ella living with that evil Cyrus as an absentee father.

22. Anne says:

I’m alright with a delay. I don’t want the child written into the show.

23. Mary S says:

The Absent Brain Cells network could try to regather some of them by bringing back FOREVER!!!

24. Carol says:

Congrats to Kerry!

I think ABC show delay the show and use the time to do a full reset – kill off Jake/Rowan/B613/NSA.

Then come back in January with the focus on Olivia and OPA cases with the White House in the background. A return to the original premise of the show is critical for the show to survive.

25. Ashley says:

scandal needs to be pushed back to midseason for the writers to reboot/reset this show and abc can still do its tgit line up with either the catch or still star-crossed (which i am looking forward to) airing in scandal’s slot… last thing we need is for olivia to get pregnant again, have the baby aborted/undergo some pregnancy complications after one/two episodes and be confined to the bed until kerry finishes her maternity leave…

26. robandco says:

Congrats for Kerry and her husband.
    As for the show. They don’t have many options. They should do what New Girl did a.k.a get a head start and shoot as many episodes they can before their biggest handbag can’t cover her baby bump. Then make up an excuse for Olivia being M.I.A for a handful of episodes, then bring her back when Kerry’s ready to work again. If they do the 8/14 division for the season it could work. They have a formidable cast and they could do episodes that focus on some of the characters (like Abby, Quinn or Marcus).
    Although as many suggested, taking time to rework the problematic storylines may be their safest option.

• Amelia says:

Too bad she was already kidnapped! That would’ve been a way to get her off screen for a few episodes.

• robandco says:

I thought the exact same thing! Though with her current state of mind she could lose Mellie’s primary race and go crazy and run away and hide and they could have another “Where is Olivia Pope?” storyline.

27. Elaine Greza says:

Oh come on. Let Fitz and Olivia have a baby!!!!! How juicy would that be!!!!!!

28. Mailer says:

Congrats to Kerry. I decided after last weeks episode I am officially done. This show has gotten more unrealistic than 24.

29. Ram510 says:

Waiting for midseason could be a good thing. I hope the can still do 22 episodes or maybe 20. I think maybe they should call the 6th season it’s last if they can find some momentum. The show is sinking fast

30. Matt C. says:

I’d much rather them hold the show off until midseason for a shorter run than A) write her pregnancy into the show, which wouldn’t make any sense, or B) do what they did in season 3 and constantly hide her baby bump behind lamps, desks, etc. It was seriously distracting! This also gives the writers a chance to get their s*it together and make an amazing season 6. Of course, knowing Shonda, she might use this opportunity to turn season 6 into the full-blown B613/Jake/Papa Pope spy series she’s always fantasized about…

31. David says:

This could be an opportunity to give something like Nashville a chance to find some additional viewers (pending renewal of course). Seems like that would be a good fit maybe?

32. Vanessa says:

Jake needs to be out of the picture, the love story that got a lot of people’s attention was the passion and love of Olivia and Fitz. It was really good for a while until Jake showed up. I mean he is a really good character but we want Olitz back otherwise all their sacrifices were for nothing…

33. Wonder what they have planned for Fitz when he is no longer the President……I love the acting of Joe Morton but I am afraid daddy Pope needs to go. Jack is his puppet so wonder what is in the cards for Jake.

34. Bandslee Lee says:

“It’s not clear Shonda Rhimes & Co. will opt to make Olivia pregnant this time around.”

She just had an abortion. How would that really work now?

35. MTB says:

They should end the show or cut her. She is horrible anyway.

36. ati101004 says:

Considering her character, Olivia, has already been pregnant earlier this season and chose to terminate, I will assume this pregnancy will not be written in either.

37. singsongsoy says:

ABC doesn’t understand, the boycott was about the showrunner. Millions left the show because of her poor writing and attitude toward fans, many of which, will never watch another Shondaland show including The Catch. So ABC should address the real problem. Plugging in another show of hers will NOT work. Karma.

38. Merry Jane says:

When should we expect to hear when season 6 starts so that we do not miss the premier

39. Cathy says:

I’m sure she could have planned her pregnancy since she had a contract but I guess she didn’t care about her obligations and now they have to wait for her. What else is new.