Exclusive
Arrow Season 5 Casting Spoilers

Arrow Season 5: Get Details on Oliver's 'Charming' New Adversary

With four episodes left to let fly in Season 4, The CW’s Arrow already is setting out to fortify its quiver for the fall.

Earlier this spring, the superhero series promoted Echo Kellum, who plays Palmer Tech whiz Curtis Holt, to series regular status for Season 5. Now TVLine has learned that Arrow is also adding the series regular role of “James,” an “irrepressibly charming” contemporary of Oliver’s who is described as “a man on a mission” — out as he is to avenge a tragic, violent loss from his own, years-ago past.

The casting call seeks an actor of any ethnicity, in his late-20s to 30s and who comes across as a physical threat. The character is said to “just as easily shake your hand as your best friend or break your neck as your worst enemy — and you never know which one is coming. Either way, he’s more than capable of having a good time as he does it.”

This is where you put on your armchair casting director’s hat and suggest the perfect actor for Arrow to target.

1. John says:

Joshua Jackson!

2. Kyl says:

How does this role gets series regular from the get-go when he hasn’t been cast yet? Bratva flashbacks maybe?

3. If they were going a tad older I’d go with Michael Shanks.

4. suzyque says:

Sounds fun! (As long as he’s not part of a love triangle..)

5. Josh says:

When is the show gonna get a Female Big Bad? It would be interesting to see

6. Sab says:

please not another love interst for Thea….. maybe something related to the flashbacks or atleast that’s what I hope

7. Vince says:

More like Felicity’s new love interest. Felicity and his boy toy Oliver.

8. Gilded Rose says:

Please don’t be yet another superhero masked character in the making already taking Adrow off course yet again to build another spinoff.

• Sab says:

I don’t think they would try this again especially that LOT didn’t do that well after all the hype & time building it on both arrow & the flash

• Josh says:

LOT has a second season on the way so it didn’t fail

• Dj says:

LoT is like the 3rd highest rated show on the CW its right behind arrow.

• Kyl says:

It’s not doing so good compared to the first seasons of arrow and flash, especially for the amount of promotion it got before and during the launch. It may be third but if we’re talking about the CW podium, it doesn’t mean much. Arrow is in its fourth season, LoT is barely starting.

• Vince says:

CW has far more low rated duds to worry about than LOT.

• tvjunkie says:

Do you even pay attention to ratings trends? Year to year for many years now the average ratings of both old and new shows has been trending down. Expecting a new show to have better ratings than a similar show a few years ago is a foolish expectation.

• apnkn says:

I think it’ll probably be someone we see in the flashbacks and present day, like we did with Slade. Probably someone from the Bratva.

• Vince says:

Berlanti is over making comic superhero shows on CW. He has a new show called Riverdale based on Archie. Possible Sabrina & Josie and The Pussycats spin-offs.

9. Kat says:

Maybe somebody in the flashbacks? I sure hope so because I’m really not looking forward to Arrow launching yet another masked hero in the present day. And I really do hope more focus is put on the regular characters they have now instead of focusing on another “hero” that needs to suit up. I would love to see Diggle, Felicity, Oliver and Thea interact with each other more, together and in various pairings/groupings.

10. JP says:

Of course, keep adding more men to the show and killing offthe women (with the exception of Felicity, OF COURSE)

11. Liz says:

Like the sound of this! As long as he’s not involved in any romantic drama/love triangle crap, they can bring it! :D

12. Michelle says:

Sounds good but we know that it will just be a repeat of season 4. But will likely kill off at Thea in five so Arrow can really focus even more on the Olicity Diaries.

13. I just hope it’s a good “name” villain this time. That they went from people like Deathstroke and Ra’s Al Ghul to a F level bit character makes no sense.

14. Rob MacMillan says:

How does one go abouts auditioning for the open casting call?

15. Kate says:

Jason Dohring

16. Joey Padron says:

Interesting character they’ll have for next season of the show. Can’t wait to see who they cast for the role.

17. Adam says:

I think BRETT DALTON would be perfect for this!

18. amy says:

oh my god just what arrow needed!!! another alpha male with a sad backstory!!!

19. So, is this “charming man” the roadblock for Olicity next season? Ray’s lost in space, after all.

20. Jason says:

I’d like to see them make Katrina Law full time next year. She could take up the mantle of Black Canary, which would be awesome.

21. Meg says:

A contemporary of Oliver’s with a tragic backstory who’s charming and likes to have a good time? Sounds like Tommy Merlyn, but, you know, psychotic and stuff! I love villain spoilers. Sometimes they give a lot of hints for a villain who gets one ep. DC certainly has a huge backlist of baddies to pick from and reshape for the show. Can’t wait!

22. I root for Joshua Jackson, Michael Ealy, or Scott Porter, and ideally this actor will be playing Thomas Blake, aka Catman.

23. DarkDefender says:

I would be happy if they cast Jason Momoa or Geno Segers. :)

• Malcolm Mao says:

You kidding, right? Jason Momoa is Aquaman in the movies. He has no need (or contractual permission) to participate in a TV show.

24. Shandi says:

Hummm how about Ian Somerhalder…

25. Cari says:

Can Tyler Hoechlin take this?! He sounds perfect!

26. peterwdawson says:

Can Nyssa be a regular? Love her.

Sure hope whoever the villain is it’s someone decent. Darhk being present from the get-go has actually caused a bit of fatigue for me.

27. Christine says:

Arrow and company love casting Spartacus actors. I say it’s time for Dustin Clare! He’d be perfect as someone who could seem like your best friend one moment and kill someone the next. Gannicus!!

• Josh says:

Ooh good Choice! Him or the Actor who played Agron

• Paige says:

I agree that Dustin Clare should be the new face to Arrow. Every Spartacus alum that has graced Arrow or The Flash has always been a positive addition. Gannicus was one of my favorite characters. If Christian Kane and Aldis Hodge weren’t already on shows, they would also be a good fit. Rob James-Collier (Thomas of Downton Abbey) would also be a good fit.

28. Cough, Corey Stoll. Cough

29. Karen says:

Sounds like casting call from Ray.

30. Adam says:

Id rather they just bring roy harper back

31. swanjun says:

Enver Gjokaj! We’ve already seen him do a passable Russian accent, too.

32. TopherKent says:

I never thought I would comment on anything online. But hey have to try something at least once.
    I have really liked this show from the beginning, But it is slowly losing my interest :-(
    Season 5 is almost coming and I would have thought by now ((4th season) the show would be way past this “it’s all my fault , I did this, I cause everyone harm, etc.. Phase.
    I understand the struggle that these characters have with these things and it is part of the superhero norm storyline.
    I guess I would have hoped by now, this wouldn’t be still a constant or what seems (to me, and this is only my own personal opinion) a forefront almost every episode this season.
    Feels too much gloom gloom on top of whoa is me syndrome this season.
    But what do I know, I am just your mild mannered been watching tv for a long time, I So wish I could fly , no tights for me, in the shadows, I really kick butt in my dreams guy.
    Thank you to (real life ) superheroes everywhere, !
    (P.S. I am not sure this was written by a human, I smell Robot )
    OH .. I love your site ! Been following your work (MS) since before your own site

:-)
    TK

33. Gorgia Madman says:

Tom Welling….

34. Ray says:

Nyssa would be awesome for any of the 3 shows. I hoping for some kind of Katie Cassidy return or bring Shado back from the dead. Really liked her character in the earlier seasons when the show was still about Oliver.

35. Brianne says:

Paul Telfer! He’s Scottish and very muscular/gorgeous!

36. dcmarvelfan.com says:

Some of these actors couldn’t really be used as it would seem stupid. Gjolkaj is in marvels agent carter and although mcdonough was cast as darhk too many people saw him as a hero in dum dum dugan from the howling commandos. If they looked for a lex luthor style guy cast Patrick j Adams co star Gabrielle macht. I’ve always thought he has the look of the joker naturally. But as an imposing fight character has been a problem as Manu Bennett has been unequalled as deathstroke/slade Wilson. And also dan fuegueriol aka agron has been in SHIELD. Dustin Claire good but Michael ealy would be good as was great in almost human. shanks is too old and too likeable in saving hope. They need someone who can play a split personally and well. They need a character you love and hate at the same time.

37. Connor says:

It would be awesome if this is a throw off name for Bruce Wayne. It could be he meets Bruce on the island or during some run-in with the league of shadows where he is training, and he tells Oliver his name is James to hide his identity. He could have a beard and longer hair in the flashback so Oliver wouldn’t recognize it’s Bruce Wayne (assuming he must have heard of him) and then in the present Bruce Wayne is temporarily moved to Star City to find a criminal of his who was last spotted in Star City and the competing Batman and Green Arrow insues. It could also be early Batman where Batman is being similar to Oliver and hurting criminal more roughly than he should, similar to how Oliver was in Season 1.

38. Vincent says:

i suggest the actor vin diesel or dwayne johnson

39. Cari says:

Amaury Nolasco, although on the older side, could pull off the part (probably). Even though he’s in his 40’s, he looks younger.

40. Tammy Beth says:

Some good suggestions below, but in an effort to throw out a new name – I propose Andra Fuller.

41. Sarah says:

I imagine this has already been cast, and most ‘name’ actors will already have jobs for next season, but I’m loving the suggestions of Michael Ealy and Jason Dohring. I’d also throw Matt Czuchry into the mix as a good ambiguously-best-friend/arch-enemy type.