good wife recap

The Good Wife Recap: A Trial and Some Serious Tribulation

“Stay tuned for scenes from our next episode”???

Oh, CBS, The Good Wife publicity team, Julianna Margulies (you are, after all, responsible for that end-of-episode voiceover) and creators/showrunners Robert and Michelle King, as Tom Petty once sang, “Don’t do me like that!”

I mean, we end the show’s penultimate installment with a cliffhanger bigger than one of Diane Lockhart’s chunky necklaces, and you’re gonna pretend for a second that next week is business as usual? Why not just hurl me into a tank full of ravenous sharks and then tell me I’m really gonna enjoy the live dolphin show coming up at noon?

OK, OK, I might be overreacting just a bit. But with my Sunday night ritual coming to its sad, inevitable, but probably right-on-time ending — next Sunday, May 8, marks the series finale of this universally acclaimed drama — we’re all allowed to get a little emotional, right?

I wish I was feeling more optimistic about where Alicia is headed in the show’s final hour. But that hand-squeeze with Peter (for the jury’s benefit) and the downward glance after being caught texting during his trial felt like the two steps back to her one step forward of demanding a divorce from her long-estranged husband. Jason’s reticence, meanwhile, to step up and declare his feelings for the woman he supposedly loves, also leaves me with an un-peaceful, uneasy feeling.

PHOTOS May Sweeps/Finale Preview: Get 100+ Spoilers, Plus Exclusive Photos!

The bigger issue, though, is that I’m not sure what constitutes a happy or satisfying ending for our complicated protagonist. It can’t be a linear conclusion of “Alicia + Man =Everything.” Oh, Lord, I hope not. (We went down this road in Sex and the City‘s series finale, and it still stings me. They should’ve ended with the baby shower and the gift box of Manolos, y’know?)

With that said, let’s break down the action from Season 7, Episode 21, “Verdict”:

* Diane takes over Peter’s defense, and we see his trial play out like a rollercoaster, with the inevitable ups and downs. Peter actually takes the stand, and defiantly tells U.S. Attorney Connor Fox — dude gives off bad vibes, yes? — that he was hyper-vigilant in his second go-round as a State’s Attorney because he never wanted anyone to unjustly spend time in prison the way he did. The Illinois Governor sells it, but he’s not sure a majority of jurors bought it. So, in the end, just as Peter tells Alicia he’s decided to take a reduced two-year plea deal, she learns that the jury has come back with a decision. And that’s when the credits roll. Slow clap for the Kings: That’s a cliffhanger I wasn’t expecting.

* It’s hard to tell who’s been lyin’ when they oughtta be truthin’ (as Nancy Sinatra so poetically put it). Cary Agos, Matan Lewis and Geneva Pine all give pretty damning testimony against their former boss Peter — and there’s a stack of affidavits claiming Peter and Geneva just ended a lengthy affair. (What the WHAT?!) Peter denies it all, maintaining his innocence in a case that accuses him of getting a wealthy donor’s son off on murder charges. But when Cary dejectedly tells Alicia his testimony is not about perjuring himself to spite the Florricks, that he’s simply shown up to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, it’s almost impossible not to believe him. (And deep down in her heart, I think Alicia does, too.) We know Cary. He’s savvy about looking out for his own interests, but I just don’t think he’d send an innocent guy to jail for simple payback or even to save his own hide.

* Alicia and Jason continue their dance of not quite saying what’s on their minds as they mix their torrid affair with their awkward professional obligations. He tells Lucca he’s worried that if Peter goes to jail, Alicia will never divorce him. But Lucca sees it differently: “Stop playing it cool,” she says (as I cheer wildly from my couch). “You want her? Go to her and say it.” See? Lucca not only deserves her private office but also the right to stand next to Diane as they contemplate the Great Lockhart-Florrick Stair Presentation of 2016! (Nobody wants to work in an Apple Store Circa 2009, after all!) Still, I have my doubts about Jason: He’s hot and smart and hard-working, but has he really ever shown Alicia in no uncertain terms that he wants to be the 27th Floor to her 28th? I don’t want to be a cynic, but I fear there’s a load-bearing wall within him that’s not as sturdy as it should be. Think about it: His brusque “I think I’m done” is the height of insensitivity. Yeah, I know he meant it about working for Peter, but his delivery — combined with the context of the conversation — made it sound like a breakup salvo. Not cool!

Side note: We can all agree Ms. Margulies gives her best line-reading of the season after Alicia comically scrunches up and boo-hoos after insidious Louis Canning hands her those affidavits about Peter’s affair with Geneva. “Did you want me to cry Mr. Canning? Oh my God, I thought my husband no longer cheated!” Alicia “weeps,” face scrunched up. To which the deeply cynical Mr. Canning replies, “Wow. God, I love you.” Alicia’s parting shot? “I know.”

* Lockhart-Agos-Lee is undergoing not-as-funny-as-I-presume-they’re-supposed-to-be renovations — which were supposed to take place at a different firm. Is this arc a way for the Kings to show us the series’ time-honored sets being ripped apart? Diane takes the opportunity to interview/court scads of female attorneys, but David Lee not having gotten into a fight with anyone for approximately 120 minutes, serves Diane with an EEOC complaint, complaining the firm is inhospitable to men. (But what about nasty little lizards, I ask!)

Finally, Kurt (AKA Diane’s husband) (AKA the last person to officially handle the missing bullets in that botched case from Peter’s past) gets caught in the crossfire of the trial when his preliminary findings are dismissed as “oversold,” when he’s impugned as someone with a “reason to spin his results.” Kurt forgives Diane, but I still wonder if this is the end of their involvement in the series’ central activity, or if this was merely the calm before Hurricane Peter.

Your turn. How did you feel about The Good Wife‘s second to last episode? Is Peter actually guilty? And what will be the jury’s decision? Sound off below!

1. Jimmy says:

Part of me is just a little annoyed that the whole end of the series revolves around Peter’s trial, but I guess that’s coming full circle.

• ABG says:

The Kings claim they knew it was ending this season but the first half of the season lacked any momentum. I didn’t dislike it at all, but it felt like just another season. Then this last half is trying to tie up the show but they had no other way to create a big storyline.

I think this season is still a big improvement over S6 but nowhere near the first 5 seasons.

• Dre says:

Yep, the start of this season took too long to gain momentum… I hope it ends with a bang. It needs something fantastic and surprising.
        Actually, when this episode talked about a “surprise witness” I was hoping it would be Kalinda!

• carterfrancis says:

JM became a producer in S6 and that’s what tanked the show. According to a recent NYT article, she had more story input. Hence the marginalizing of the other cast members and the misguided (confusing and just plain bad) storyline. Combine that with the King’s checking out and you have a once brilliant series that goes out as a hot mess.

What really gets under my skin is in that same recent article, JM calls the Kalinda rumors “silly”. No, Ms Margulies, what’s silly is investing anymore time in you or any future series you may be involved with.

• Jeri says:

JM blew it big time, for everyone, the show is horrible and her wig is the worst of the entire show.

• JoMarch says:

You sound like a big crybaby. JM took the reins on HER show, and that’s a crime, because even in 2016, a strong woman is still criticized. The little woman should stay in the background and not assert herself. Well, I applaud her. She didn’t tank the show, it’s still great and smart.

• Johnny says:

You’re wrong. JM became a producer on the Good Wife in 2011. There goes your biased theory.

This was Alicia’s journey. Deal with it.

• Jenny says:

In 7 seasons of television, there were bound to be ups and downs. Even Mad Men had them. I’d argue mediocre GW was still more entertaining than 90 percent of network television.

• Dick Whitman says:

I feel exactly the same :/

2. kathy says:

I’m hoping Peter gets off and Alicia moves on with Jason. But who knows with this show. They probably won’t wrap things up in a nice little bow!

• The ending says:

When Peter said he would take the plea I immediately thought he was doing what Luca foreshadowed. Going to jail to keep a hold on Alicia. “Of course I will visit you every week!!” To maintain the relationship, no matter how dysfunctional. Then Alicia and Peter will have gone full circle from the start of the show. She has said we might not like the ending. That to means she is not riding off into the sunset with our favorite investigator :(

3. karenb says:

All I know is, I better get some Will Gardner flashbacks in the final episode.

• Lisa G says:

As a Will shipper I would love that, but this last year has been so bad I’m not sure he deserves to be stuck on it. I haven’t liked Alicia this year. She’s either drinking, sulking, or being wishy-washy with Jason. And I like JDM, but I’m not fond of the Alicia/Jason pairing. Probably because she hasn’t been very mature with it. I liked Finn best of the post-Will men. I’ve never liked her with Peter at all. So this taking him to the last minute is irritating. Argh. And yet I’m sad it’s ending. I know, I’m being wishy-washy too.

• paouser70 says:

Why. will was a weasel.

4. Greg says:

I am really frustrated about how many loose ends are hanging out there from splits they set up and never followed through on. There is no hope that they will tie a fraction of them up in one more episode… Is it too much to ask for Alicia to find out that Peter screwed her out of being States Attorney, or that David Lee screwed her when she got kicked out of the firm?

• David4 says:

Just like real life you don’t ever really know the full story.

• Tony says:

That explanation always leaves me cold. This is a story that people who invested much of their time in being told a story – there are different rules for fiction and different ones for real life.

We will never find out what happened to Robyn, or Nathan Lane’s character, or have that Alicia-Zach conversation about the abortion … the Kings meandered through the last two seasons not knowing where the hell they were going; I really believe losing Will forced them off their trajectory and they never knew how to fully recover their projected aim. Their vision for GW’s final story was surely the resolution of Alicia, Will and Peter, but they were forced to rewrite things and it’s just been a confusing time. Still, the show is still brilliant even in its worst of declines.

I will miss this show terribly.

• Dre says:

Yep, and what about theTaye Diggs character?? Where is he? Somewhere with Robyn??At some point the seris started to lose its focus. Dianne and Cary became peripheral afterthoughts, as running for States Attorney took forever and ever…(but I still enjoy this show! )

• My point exactly. I really don’t understand how the series can end without Alicia finding what Peter did for her election as State Attorney. How can they leave this behind?

5. Dre says:

I really enjoy this show, but I think the writers have over-sold the Alicia/Jason relationship. Jason, though gorgeous, is not a fleshed out enough character. He’s like an awkward 11th grader with a crush, while Alicia is like a grown woman coming into her own identity.Their relationship kind of bores me now. So, I actually hope the series ends with Alicia happily single, independent and confident. She doesn’t ‘need’ a man to end the series properly.

• Anni says:

Maybe she does. Maybe she needs to be a…drum roll…good wife.

• Dre says:

Yes, a good wife…is it possible Alicia and Peter will stay together–and start over in their relationship as a more mature, accepting, forgiving, loving couple? And end up happy with…each other??
        THAT could be a surprise ending!

• Steven says:

I for one would love for the final words to be Jason whispering in Alicia’s ear as he whisks her away, “you’re not a very good wife are you?” Or “you’re such a bad wife”

6. Helen says:

Enjoyed the episode but find it hard to believe that no one would question the demolition of the office as it’s happening. These are lawyers; no one demanded to see work orders or ask why demo is happening during business hours? Inconceivable.

7. Pixel says:

I couldn’t care less about Peter’s trial. And wow. Amy Sherman Palladino has really a lot to make up for after the awful way Cary Agos and Matt Czuchry have been treated by that show an entire season.

• Greg says:

Get. Over. It. People have been whining about his treatment for years. While I agree that his character has not been used well, the writers are not going to apologize or make anything up to you or anyone else. Its a tv show, and thats where they decided to go with his character, so live with it.

• Pixel says:

Calm. Down. Let’s face that fans can complain as much as they want since writers obviously don’t give a damn about them and that’s basically our only way to express our point of view. I’m not looking for writers excuses. They’ve done worse and never bothered to give us any good excuse for it. I’ll live with it and I’ll avoid to watch anything coming from those writers to avoid other disappointment in the future. But I’ll complain about it as as long I feel. Live with it.

• rowan77 says:

I agree that anytime there is less Matt Czuchry in anything, it’s a waste, but you seem to forget that the fans do not run the show, nor determine the storylines, character development or dialogue. Showrunners/head-writers and studios are not beholden to you in that way. Their job is to tell a story in a way that they think is the most interesting/thought-provoking/fun/emotional/etc not pander to the whims and desires of the public. If you don’t like a show, complain all you want, but don’t think that the writers will see your complaints and think they need to cow to your pressure if they don’t want to. The critical praise for the show tells them that overall, they have done a great job.

Not all fans agree with you on your assessment of the show or the writers. But your opinion is your opinion, not representative of anyone else but you. So complain away.

• Pixel says:

Sorry, I don’t get it. People can post here just if their opinions are “rappresentative” of what every fan thinks? I wasn’t speaking for all the fans. I was speaking for myself. I don’t care if I’ll get something from those writers if I complain. I just state my right to complain even if nothing will come from it. And that is a common principle not just in the TV fandom but in every democracy. Usually instead ditactorship forces you to complain away if you don’t share what the majority think.
            So my opinion is rappresentative of what I think and it matters just for this. Live with it.
            And by the way critics are men and women. And what they think is just their opinions and they’re not rappresentative of what everyone thinks about the show even so also several critics weren’t so happy about that season so…

• rowan77 says:

Your comment that the writers don’t give a damn about the viewers is why I responded to you. Yes, you can certainly complain, but your complaint is that the writers don’t listen to you. They don’t have to. And they do pay attention, but are not going to give fans control of a show. As for professional critics giving only the opinion of one person, that is true, but that professional has studied film/television, story-crafting and development, and has learned how to properly critique by using a combination of educated subjective and objective criteria. Professionals don’t usually issue ultimatums and threats to boycott a group of writers because one character did not get as much airtime as they would personally like. That is the difference.

• Pixel says:

To say that writers shouldn’t care about viewers is like to say that lawyers shouldn’t care about their clients. And viewers are in the end writers’ final clients or ratings wouldn’t matter at all. They don’t write a show for themselves. They sold that show to a network and that network wouldn’t buy it if we, the viewers, wouldn’t watch it. Critics praise is good, but many shows which got critics praise ended up being axed anyway because the lack of ratings so…we matter and they should care about us. It doesn’t mean that they have to write the show in the way we want. It means that they should care about what we think about the show, positive or negative.
            Critics and fans are two different categories. What I was saying is that viewers’ opinions, it doesn’t matter if they didn’t get a master in TV history, matter as much as critics ones.
            And by the way I’m not boycotting anything. I’ll said it again: I’m expressing my opinion. The show is ending and I’m not campaigning to axe it (that’s what boycotting is about) And I’m still not interested in any future project Robert and Michelle King have in store not just because they’ve screwed over Cary (and other meaningful relationships and characters in that show) but because at end of the day they, maybe write good plots, but are not so good when it comes characters’ storyarcs. They’re intested in telling a story not so much in the players they use to tell it. And I don’t like that. And I think I’m free to think so.

• rowan77 says:

You think creating television is like creating advertising. It’s not. There are no clients. The studios and production company own the show the program’s creator created (usually a 90-10 split). The Networks, in effect, license or lease the right to air the first run of a program and one repeat during that year, and for that they pay a fee that amounts to about ½ the production costs. The network doesn’t own the show, but it can made decisions as to what will or won’t air on their network. While having an adoring audience is part of the goal of the shows creator/writers, so is having creative integrity. It’s hard enough to get stupid notes from the occasional network exec who doesn’t have a creative bone in their body, they aren’t going to listen to the demands of a minority or the public who dislike the way a character is being treated because they like the actor. They just won’t. Now, if people stopped watching and the ratings tanked badly, then that’s a problem they need to deal with or lose their show, but if you think writers sit around worrying about whether you will like that Cary left the firm or only had two scenes this week – they don’t. They are thinking of the best way to tell the story and who to wrap it up to the conclusion THEY find the most satisfying. They hope you do too, but they’re not going to pander to you, because when writers do (which happened on Lost more than a few times), the results are usually disastrous, storywise. Note how this show isn’t going off the air for lack of ratings. It’s going off the air because Julianna M doesn’t want to continue without the Kings at the helm. And if you think having a critically acclaimed show doesn’t mean anything, you’re wrong. MASH, Cheers, Seinfeld, etc – all highly acclaimed shows that were at the bottom of the ratings the first year or so. In fact, Cheers was literally the lowest rated show their first season. But the critics loved these shows and the network knew that if they have the show a chance the audience would grow to love it too. 30 Rock never had great ratings, either did Parks and Recreation, but each of those shows were on for 7 years because they were prestige shows – award winners and critical darlings. For smart presidents of programming at a network, these kinds of shows are important to a network’s brand. And for the record, “boycotting” simply means to “withdraw from commercial or social relations with (a country, organization, or person) as a punishment or protest.” It does not mean an attempt to scuttle a show, just to show your displeasure by announcing you will not be watching anymore.
            And yes, as I’ve repeatedly said, you are free to think and say whatever you like, but so is anyone else allowed to comment about your thoughts and ideas, whether they agree or not.

• Pixel says:

Hey, you did say I should have complained away. But thanks for granting me the freedom of speech at the end of your apology of writers’ power to do whatever they want without giving a damn about viewers. Fortunally there are other kind of showrunners http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/person-of-interest-season-5-premiere-final-ending-1201765013/ and I’m glad that there are writers who know how to keep their creative integrity without forgetting there are people who inversted time watching what they wrote for.

• rowan77 says:

A) There was no “apology” offered. Again, you have an inflated sense of ego.

B) I already said they want to have a happy, devoted audience, but creative integrity ones first, not that they don’t give damn about the audience. If you must twist people’s words to fit your narrative – you actually have nothing of value to add here. And…

C) Confirming your right to complain is not giving you permission, little one. It’s simply an acknowledgment of that right. Grow up.

• Jody says:

Kinda unfair. Can you say for sure the Kings don’t care about their audience? I mean they did run a very acclaimed, show for 5 seasons both with critics and fans alike.

Season 6 was a letdown, this season is up and down, but I would hardly be that dramatic.

• Pixel says:

And when they have no other arguments they insult. Bye, dear, and learn to respect other people’ opinions and people in general.

• rowan77 says:

Pixel, honestly. I showed you respect and you, in return tried to twist those words to fit your agenda. Transparent and childish of you.

8. EJ says:

The script for this episode apparently had to be rewritten in a hurry because Will Patton (Mike Tascioni) suddenly bolted a few days before production was to start to go do a miniseries. Diane as his replacement made no legal sense at all but I still enjoyed it.

• Leah says:

Where did you read that? I was wondering why the awkward phone call with Mike off-screen happened last week!

9. Robin Thomas says:

Am I the only one that is miffed that they writers put something between diane lockhart and kurt mcveigh at the end of the series… wtf… just let them be happy.

• Dre says:

Me too…why do we need to doubt Kurt the last few episodes? Is he fooling around with his annoying ex-student? Did he mess with evidence? Why does he look uncomfortable/guilty? AND why does Diane always seem so weak with her husband? Can’t the writers leave this couple alone, and let the viewers see them as happy, and their marriage as flourishing?

• Alba says:

I read that scene completely different. For me it was clear that Kurt has always been a great ballistics expert with integrity since he would not bend the truth to benefit a client. What Diane asked him to do was exactly that, oversell the truth for her. Her student testifying made public that Kurt compromised his integrity for his wife and Diane realized that and what that meant to Kurt. It was interesting to me and Diane asking sorry for forgiveness makes sense since she knows how that hurt him. He holding her hand at the end made me think he accepted her apology.
        On a side note, loved the interaction between Canning and Alicia when he told her about Geneva and Peter sleeping together.
        I would have also loved to see Robin and Nathan Lane come back for this final season. But if I could deal with Will dying, I’ll deal with this too.

• carterfrancis says:

I think, though, you missed that Diane started to get up but Peter put his had on her arm and shared a look with Lucca to handle the cross. It was clear Diane was not party to the plan to throw Kurt under the bus.
          “Oversold” is an opinion, not a fact, so I’m not sure you can make the case that he compromised his integrity for his wife. The horrible Holly had no evidence to back up her claim either.
          It’s was all too forced and unnecessary to the storyline. Cary was the last to handle the bullets so they should have focused on what happened to the evidence.l
          It definitely was a very sour note for me at the end of the series. Kurt and Diane deserved better.

• Lisa G says:

Actually, I think Peter did that to spare Diane from having to do it herself. Let Lucca do it instead. And I detest Peter, so to give him any kind of credit is painful.

10. I don’t think we’re going to be happy next week at 10:00 pm. But hopefully all the loose ends will be tied up.

If Alicia ends up with Jason, it’s going to feel so silly. Sure he’s a nice guy, and he’s handsome. But he’s not her equal. I’m hoping she will either be on her own or stay with Peter.

• Kroger1939lady says:

I’ve officially given up on a riding-into-the-sunset-black-pickup for Alicia. She’s so predictable with Peter. I forgive Alicia because if you go to bed with dogs for years you end up with fleas …eventually fleas become comfortable. As for Jason, I disagree with one who finds him not Alicia’s equal. Jason is highly intelligent, earned a law degree, well mannered (no man could turn down a gal like Alicia if it was free), has a conscience of sorts, and much prettier than Alicia. Just because he isn’t clean shaven, doesn’t live a high end life (but probably could), doesn’t wear high fashion and heels, does not make him a level or two under Alicia. I have a feeling Jason came to this time and place for some other reason and stumbled into/onto Alicia. The heart wants what the heart wants and we can’t always stop that … Jason will, I believe; but hope not.

11. Gas Mann says:

Alicia vacillates between being smart and perceptive and being dumb and naive to suit the scripts. Tonight, unlike two episodes ago, she was smart again, and I’m glad. The last few episodes have felt rushed, though. There are lots of jumps from scenes (often to accommodate an annoying, seemingly endless commercial break), and the show feels more like it should end with a few hour and half or two hour episodes, as it tries to tie up too many loose ends. The constant teasing about Alicia and Jason has gotten tiresome because all it is so far is a tease. I never got the whole Will Gardner thing — he looks like a slightly snotty baby vulture, and yet the show worked really hard to make him a leading man type. (What is it with all the bird-faced white guys on TV right now — him, Bradley Cooper, Andrew Lincoln, etc.) I’m glad Ely has faded into the background more, as well as his uber egocentric daughter, who is as charming as a gloating pumpkin.

• Jeri says:

Alicia used to seem like an intelligent person. Now she behaves impulsively with no thought for the outcome and puts herself and her desires before anyone else, including her children. I think she has outdone Peter for bad, selfish behavior and I just can’t see her redeeming herself in one episode. I have watched since the beginning and this used to be my #1 show.

12. Al Gee says:

Peter’s guilty but the jury will say “Not guilty, your honor.
    Alicia doesn’ think he’s innocent, and joins The Peace Corps.
    Lucca marries Jason, and they move to Las Vegas and start their own investigative firm. Diane goes to work for Donald Trump full time as Attorney General.

13. bridyyc says:

I hate that the writer’s always treat the audience like we have such short memories. Peter maliciously screwed Diane out of a spot on the Illinois Supreme Court…and now Diane defends him? It could happen, but not without that being address somehow. Everything was so rushed. No time to do this story the way it should have been done. And *sob* no Robyn.

14. lkh says:

Run Alicia, run! I say get away from that firm and the various characters she exists around. Take off. Take Jason if you want to, or just go. Live in a small cabin in Wyoming. Just get away from all that mess…the kids are gone, who cares what happens to Peter, that firm, ugh. Run, Alicia, Run

15. MzTeaze says:

I’m glad their last few episodes have been more enjoyable and better written. I get the feeling that Jason wants Alicia to make the decision for him and to let him of the hook. He really has gone to great lengths to avoid making a definitive stance for Alicia. Much in the same way that Will was (minus the phone call).

16. Mark Robb says:

I only saw the first minute of tonight’s broadcast, but the face of Alicia, listening to the opening arguments of the prosecutor, made think she is going to fight for her husband, because she knows that these charges are jacked up as a political maneuver, that this is some kind of witch hunt. I want her to be the savior or figure out some defense of her husband so he does not end up in jail, and then ride off in the sunset with Jason as a truly good wife.

17. tvlover44 says:

awesome recap as always, slezak, but i’m surprised that you didn’t mention the epic scene between peter and alicia when she’s prepping him for testifying. that was some A+ acting, and writing – powerful because of the history that was the undercurrent. also alicia was quite strong and powerful in that scene, and not in a sh*tty way, but just confident and clear. i think this whole episode showed how different she is now.
    and on a whole other front – i actually *do* want alicia to end up with jason. they not only have smokin’ chemistry, physically, but she literally lights up when they are together. haven’t seen that much from her during the series’ 7-year run, and i’d love for these two to be giving it a go when the show goes out…

18. EV says:

Matan Lewis? or Matan Brody?
    Did he had his name changed???
    I’m confused..

19. Barbara says:

The series producers know people want a happy ending for Alicia and Jason, but I think that isn’t going to happen. Ya he might love her but he’s that lone wolf guy women have. She just promised Peter she would come see him every week. Our little Alicia is going to be so sad when Jason just leaves.

20. Lauren says:

Michael, I have been saying that about Sex and the City for years! All that time for the show to end by showing a woman being “rescued” by a man who never treated her that great when they were together! Ergh! You got me hopped up about it all over again.

21. Max says:

It reminded me of the last Seinfeld with all the past characters arriving in court. Margulies said in an interview that the finale doesn’t wrap everything up nicely and that some people thus will be disappointed

22. The show will end with a “I am Woman, Hear Me Roar” theme. I will miss this show but they made some bad decisions (getting rid of Kalinda, etc.). Jason is immature and can’t truly commit. Alicia will probably say something to him like, “I don’t want to live my life revolved around a man anymore. If I want to take off at some point in my future, I will go where I want to go and when I want to go based solely on my decision.” I would really like to see her get back with Peter but I know that won’t happen. They have both made mistakes but they still love each other; however, I don’t think the trust is there anymore.

23. Marilyn Painter says:

I cannot stand that this excellent series is coming to and end. When Juliana did the faux crying scene, my heart broke. So many fine actors in this show.

24. J says:

First off let me just say that I HATE what The Good Wife has done with Cary’s character this season. Talk about zero storyline. It’s really ashame they are ending the show with his character in such an awful space. On a brighter note, the last handful of episodes have been some of the best this year. Happy to see the show come full circle from the pilot. Can’t wait to see how they end the show(even if my gut is telling me it will be a major let down ).

25. Con says:

I was hoping Kalinda would make an appearence

26. liame says:

Can the powers that be make sure Cush Jumbo, (#Luccarocks) get’s cast in a long lasting series, perhaps another lawyer or a doctor, she’s a delight to watch and I believe every word that comes out of her mouth. I hope Peter doesn’t go off to jail so Alicia can finally get that divorce and be with Jason for as long as she wants. The end.

27. Patty R says:

“Did you want me to cry Mr. Canning? Oh my God, I thought my husband no longer cheated!” Alicia “weeps,” face scrunched up. To which the deeply cynical Mr. Canning replies, “Wow. God, I love you.” Alicia’s parting shot? “I know.” That has to be THE BEST Alicia line in the whole series. God, I love her!!! :-D

28. Kim R says:

I wish there was at least 2 hours left to tell this story but alas, we only have 1. My hope is that Alicia moves on from Peter, remaining his friend but letting go of everything else. I actually cheered when she told him she wanted a divorce. I feel like we’ve gone a little backward since then.
    I also would like her to move on from Diane and the firm. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I think Canning respects her more. I would love to see Alicia and Cary partnered with him.
    And I would like to see Jason in the picture somewhere.

29. jakis says:

WHEN is David Lee going to be outed for stealing a bunch of Alicia’s money? Remember that whole thing with the off-shore account in Howard’s name so David could hide assets from Alicia when she was leaving as a partner? I want David Lee dangling from the window of the 28th floor over that one.

30. t87 says:

Will next weeks episode be a normal 45 minute ep, or is it a dubble (90 min) ending ???

31. Lweiss says:

I have a question about Peter’s mom. Weren’t there scenes last season or the season before ( lost track) where they implied she had the beginning of dementia? What happened to that storyline. What did I miss? Now she and Howard are married and she is apparently ok? Thanks.

32. Donna Small says:

I certainly hope the jury finds Peter, “Not guilty”, in the final episode. That would be a good way to put the series to rest. To do otherwise, would leave long-time viewers, like myself a watcher since the very first episode, wondering what will happen to him in prison and in the future. I would like to see Jason “move on” and Alicia and Dianne form an all female law firm. That would show all viewers that Alicia can take command of her life, fully support herself, and break the glass ceiling.

33. Adelaide Mcmillan says:

Everything is set up to prepare you for Alicia staying with Peter or, at the very least, not ending up with Jason. I hope I am wrong because Peter is a character I have always loathed – I have known so many men like him in my life ugh. But yes, it feels to me as if Alicia will either stay with Peter and continue with the status quo or choose to be single. I am not sure however that she is ready for that just yet. And I agree with whomever mentioned the fact that she NEEDS to know Peter screwed her out of the State’s Attorney office. It is a moral imperative. Doubt it will happen but it really, really should. Not sure I am going to like the finale but i’ll be watching.

• Kroger1939lady says:

Just watched episode 21 again and I have a new slant (my opinions have not been right yet). Alicia will dump Peter as planned; but, will not jump on the Jason bandwagon until they join forces in a Thin Man type tv series -Nick and Nora .Charles. Alicia will let Jason choose the dog! (Jason drives off in the sunset towards Mars alone for now.). Has anyone noticed that Jason hasn’t flashed that divine smile for several episodes? Good acting if he can bury that one!

34. BROOKLYNTOMMIE WORKMAN says:

Goodbye Will, Goodbye to Kalinda,scene stealing, Kalinda and hopefully years
    from now we will find out what WALL, you buried Nick in, Goodbye Diane with those big beautiful eyes and Mama Mia singing voice. Goodbye Bishop I was ready to leave Chicago if you really existed. In my “opinion” David Lee was not utilized enough and Goodbye to him as well. Cary needs his own prime-time show with Kalinda and I did love seeing him each and every week. Peter needs to darken his hair, that grey, does nothing for him Peter with those great looks. Alicia’s Kids were a blast,especially,seeing them grow up, I am Happy that Jackie finally found her own happiness and will no longer be butting into everyone’s business.
    I loved all the guest Judges. I loved Elsbeth Tascioni, I could hardly wait for her appearance, she was also a scene steal-er.
    Finally it was good to see Michael J, Fox. Alicia you were great,
    The Kings (writers creators) need to take a break. All the folks that I know that watched the Good Wife don’t trust them to go with another hit show and not quit at its height. Yes we know that each week can not be a hit but we would have stayed until Alicia died of natural causes or died while making love to Jason. Good bye to the Good Wife,
    Sincerely, Brooklyntommie from Bensenville, Illinois near Chicago.

35. BROOKLYNTOMMIE WORKMAN says:

Eli Gold, my goodness, how could I leave out the actual star of the Good Wife. I believe
    that his was the most shining star of all, and I wish they had had a fantasy episode with
    everyone singing, I saved the best for last Eli, you will be greatly missed. Goodbye Eli.
    Sincerely, Brooklyntommie from Bensenville, Illinois. Take Care