Once Upon a Time Recap: Unhooked

This week on ABC’s Once Upon a Time, the heroes made a deal to secure safe passage out of the Underworld — though Emma’s plan to rescue Hook hit one final snag.

Having discovered that Rumple and Pan kidnapped Zelena, Hades offers the heroes a sweet deal: help him rescue his One True Love and he’ll erase their names from the headstones. And sure ’nuff, after Hades rips up his contract in front of Rumple, Emma thwarts Pan’s plan for a double cross by zapping him. When a reunited Hades and Zelena kiss, the Underworld overlord’s pumper starts beating again, freeing him from his servitude. Later at the cemetery, he erases the headstones as promised — though Emma’s idea to share half of her heart with Hook doesn’t pan out, seeing as he’s a bit too dead.

Hades relates a “rumor” about Orpheus and Eurydice using ambrosia to cheat death, but to do that Emma and Hook must take the ‘vator down to the bottom-most level of the Underworld. There, they are presented with a scale, to measure the level of true love in Emma’s heart. Emma and Hook take a moment to note the fact that their OTL status is about to be officially verified, before she puts her ticker on the scale. When Emma collapses in pain after, Hook is ensnared in a swirl of flames. Hook urges Emma to save her heart, but she rescues him instead — thus proving her love and opening the door to the room of… long-dead ambrosia fruit. They’ve been had by Hades! As have the heroes topside, who have been locked in the library by a Hades spell cast by the Blind Witch.

After escaping the crumbling ambrosia room, Hook informs Emma that he isn’t going back up with her, as there is nothing that can save him now. The two say a tearful goodbye, as he urges her to not put her “armor” back on just because she lost him. (In flashback, we learned that Emma bought her red jacket/”armor” from the daughter who had been given up for adoption by a bounty hunter who chased her in 2009.) Emma in turn makes Hook promise to not dwell on any unfinished business and “move on.” Emma then reunites up top with the others, where Henry as the Author has penned a handy reference guide for the Underworld denizens (eighth, Bashful-resenting dwarf Stealthy included!) to realize their unfinished business. Emma and Regina use their combined magic to blast open the doors and make tracks for the portal, through which Hades, Zelena and Baby Hood have already passed.

Rumple meanwhile owes his father a heart, in trade for a Pandora’s Box to transport Belle back to Storybrooke. (I am not sure why he couldn’t just sling his wife over his shoulder, but….)  Rumple steals Robin Hood’s heart, and then delivers it to dear ol’ Dad. But it turns out Rumple pulled a switcheroo and instead gave Pan a wineskin filled with water from the River of Lost Souls, and Pan dissolves away soon after, damned.

With the portal about to close, Emma stops short of leaping through, explaining to her father that she questions if she did her very best to save Hook. She ultimately makes peace with Hook’s decision and vows to never lose anyone else, before traveling back home with David.

What did you think of the episode “Firebird”? And do you think there’s a way Hook still might be saved?

1. Jen says:

So mad seriously you went down to save hook and leave him

• Duke says:

Honestly, if that was REALLY the end of him on the show, we’d have about 18 exit interviews with the actor by now.

2. madhatter360 says:

I thought that was Stealthy. Wasn’t Dreamy just Grumpy’s old name, not a separate dwarf?
    Also if the Orpheus and Eurydice myth has truth then where on earth is Persephone? And how mad will she be about the whole “my husband true love kissed another woman” thing?

• powerturtle90sdudemon says:

Yup

• Suzanne says:

Hey, it’s OUAT! They play fast and loose with not only Disney related characters (witness the villainous Peter Pan) but every other source material they come up with. Par for the course.

• Marie says:

I thought in the peter psn book he was a villan

• laurelnev says:

You know, it’s one thing to reinterpret literature, but when it comes to disrespecting Greek Mythology, well, I wonder how they’d like it if someone suddenly turned Jesus into a villain, or that the Blind Witch filled her shakers with Lot’s wife. I think reinterpreting what was once the dominant religion is crossing a line a little. That being said, if Persephone was included in this version of the Underworld, she should have warned our heroes NOT to eat anything, especially a pomegranate seed. And they seemed to spend a LOT of time at the diner. (Hell’s Kitchen?)

• wgsecretary says:

I don’t think Persephone would care. She wasn’t exactly happy to have to stay in the Underworld in the myth.

• Lisa says:

If Persephone did not love Hades even a little she would not have eaten anything in the underworld she knew the rules it was her mother who hated what had happened only after the fact hence fall and winter she was in the underworld spring and summer with the other olympicion gods and goddesses

3. Cate says:

Well that was a half-season wasted. I mean, common sense dictates there’s still a pre-finale loophole to save Hook, but I feel like this entire Underworld story was irrelevant- we ended exactly how we started.

• Dina says:

We really didn’t. First, behind-the-scenes photos seem to imply that Hook will be back, and also Eddy and Adam would have given us more if that was the last of Hook.

But even if the trip wasn’t ultimately successful, Emma has finally learned to love without being afraid of the consequences, Regina is working harder on relationships, Henry got to learn what it means to be the Author, and the entire group of heroes demonstrated how far they’ll go to save one of their own. Sometimes, the OUAT journeys are much more about character growth than events. I mean, Neverland was much more about Emma developing feelings for Hook and learning how to build relationships with her parents than it was about saving Henry.

• PatriciaLee says:

We haven’t seen it, yet, but don’t forget the souls (fantastic show characters) that got to finish their business and go over that happily ever after bridge!

• David4 says:

Still better than a whole half season wondering around Neverland when nothing happened in 90% of them and they could have done 1-2 episodes there and move on.

This is a show about spinning its feet.

4. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

What was the point of this whole arc? To send a bunch of previous characters to fully pass on? Because the real point of the arc was to bring Hook back and that DIDNT HAPPEN. He better not actually be dead

5. Len84 says:

BRING BACK HOOK!!!! He has to come back somehow.
    He always comes back to his Emma.
    They were confirmed True Love. He has to come back to Emma.

6. Dawn says:

Wasn’t that Stealthy, not Dreamy?? Dreamy became Grumpy I thought.

7. Tammy says:

If Hook is no longer in the show,..I’m done! Why spend an entire season trying to get someone back just to kill them off. Poor storytelling! Too bad because for several seasons this was my favorite storytelling!

8. nadialus says:

Wow I’m super glad I stopped watching.

• shelly says:

THEN WHY ARE U ON THIS WEB SITE IF U DONT WATCH THE SHOW ANYMORE?? THAT MAKES NO SENSE, WHAT A WASTE OF YOUR TIME. I bet your be back after u hear what happens in the finale. your loss

9. CA says:

So if this really ends up as Hooks endgame…what was the point of it all? Just to show Emma that every man she loves will die? There’s got to be something more or why bother. It would be a waste of these last, what, eight or so episodes. BTW…is the funeral scene shown in next week’s teaser the Blind Item from a few weeks back? Or was the determined to be Sleepy Hollow?

10. James D says:

Jeez TV has gotten really sadistitic lately. all these characters dying on leaving in some way it sucks. Do they not realize I watch tv (as most do I assume) to have a respite from reality and not be depressed every night. I just want to be happy why are these people taking that from me. what was the freaking point of the whole arc for 5B? I wasn’t super attached to them as a pair, but I did enjoy them. Still this was unneccessary.

• Diana says:

I agree. Their are several shows I watch and I have watched several characters that I really LIKE die in the last week! I am so tired of being depressed after watching a T.V. show!

11. laurelnev says:

I’m calling it. The funeral is the promos is staged to trick Hades in some way. It will involve Henry having to “pay a price” for giving people their stories, and the ruse will somehow allow Hook to be resurrected. They have to break Emma’s track record of only realizing it’s true love as the person is literally slipping away.

• GambitGrey says:

Oh that’s a good one. I almost cried when I saw the promo. But I read your comment, it made me smile.

• edytas says:

I so wish this was the case. But I’m kinda scared now. This season has not been kind to me, as far as “my” shows go. I’ve lost so many characters in the last weeks, I’m prepared for anything and everything. So hearing in the promos, that the heart of the show will change, makes me really scared for Snow. Really, really scared.

• Karen kay says:

I had the same feeling …. about snow.

• laurelnev says:

I put $ on Henry falling to the curse of the pre-teen actor hitting puberty before betting on Snow. They sent Snow off to re-bond with BFF Ruby in Oz to cover Ginnifer’s maternity leave. And now Snow has the shoes, she can zip around realms at will.

IMO, these Scooby Gang trips to other realms are boring, for the most point, and really just reinforce the stupidity of just about everyone but Rumple. They obsess on opening a portal, but never lay out any plans for what they’re going to do when they get there, or think at all about how they’re getting back. Rumple seems to be the only one who packs a brain. I just wish these stories would go back to Storybrooke, and to fairy tale characters trying to adjust to life in the real world. All these mini-arcs end up being is meaningless filler that ends up in a memory wipe. If only the audience were that lucky. ;)

• edytas says:

Well, Rumple is the Dark One, so he knows a bit about the places they’re going. The others don’t really have that advantage. They only have Belle and her books. So I get the “making it up as they go” plans. And I like the trips to other worlds. Each had something to offer, and sitting in Storybrooke would get old really really fast.
          My money’s still on Snow or Charming. Snow has been called ‘the heart of the show’ on several occasions, so that would fit. Also, Emma did say “we officially have a teenager on our hands”. But we’ll see in a week. One thing’s for sure – it’s gonna get ugly, and messy, and full of “how could you!”. On my part at least. :)
          PS: the memory loss curse – definitely old. I hope they won’t use it again. Ever. ;)

• laurelnev says:

I guess we’ll see soon. But I doubt they would let Ginny out of a contract for maternity leave, and I’m sure they locked up their main characters at the beginning. (The biz side of things, that none of us like to think about.) I wouldn’t mind losing Snow, as she seems to have lost her brain a couple of memory wipes ago, and is far from her FT Land badass of S1.

• edytas says:

Actually, I quite like the biz side of things and I’m usually up to date with “my” actors’ status, except for OUAT. I’ve no idea how long are they all in for. :)
            As for Snow, the baby arc kind of “broke” the character for me. So if it’s not her in the grave, I hope we’ll get to see the return of kick-ass Snow soon.

• Lisa says:

I hope it works out like you think it will because letting another main character die is just to sad unless it is a set up for next season either way it is just to depressing do not get me wrong I have been watching OUAT sence the beginning and plan to continue to watch it
      As far as Sleepy Hollow what is Crain going to do with out Abbey if the show does get a forth season it just won’t be the same because it seems like Crain and Abbey have finally accepted that they love each other or at least could love each other and now we will never know

12. GraceM says:

So that’s the end of Hook?

• Catarina Ribeiro says:

No, he will be back in the next episodes.

• Nicky Aiuto says:

Better be sure that the bts photos are not throw offs. Remember a bts photo with Dark Swan and the apprentice appearing in The Price? Well it looked like the apprentice lived, but it was not true. He was dead in the Dark Swan, and he never showed up when the second ep aired. Some filmings of eps can be remade just to warn you.

13. Litz says:

While I personally would be quite happy to see Hook stay dead, I feel forced to offer you two things. One, There are 3 episodes left in the season and with the haphazard way these people write, anything could happen. Two, I don’t see a TVLine interview, or an interview with any other entertainment site, with Colin O’Donoghue about his exit and Twitter is silent on the matter, so my guess is that they’ll pull something out of their ass and he’ll be back. Unfortunately.

• Olivia says:

And that is why I’m thankful for commenters like you. Intriguing title, clicks, reads recap that says Hook’s finally out, thinks of starting watching again… then boom, the reality slap. Oh well, maybe it’s not worth the wait and this show is fubar after all.

• Litz says:

I want to add that my “Unfortunately.” has to do with Hook and not Colin. I have no idea how he is as a person, I know nothing about him and I have zero opinion about him either way. He’s an actor doing a job. My disdain is for the character Hook and how he’s written and that alone.

@Olivia: I suggest that you keep away. Write it off no matter the headline since the show isn’t magically (Heh) going to fix itself. Wait until it’s completely over and if you’ve spotted something intriguing, watch it on Netflix or whatever streaming platform it’ll come out for. For every twist and moment they succeed in pulling off, there are about 20 where they fall flat. They’ve fallen in a classic writing trap where they go “This sounds cool. Add it.” without any regard for what it does to the characters, the plot or the continuity.

• Olivia says:

I share your take on Hook/Colin. As for the headlines, I’ve been falling for it quite a lot lately… Must be the tv season ending with its inevitable twists and stunts. I used to hate watch Glee, now I hate read OUAT recaps once in a while lol. I won’t bother with this show even after it’s over unless there is a DRASTIC 180 and it stops being broody faux hottie central (besides most of the fans are enough to make anyone end up hating it, between the homophobes, the hormonal fangirls and the sexism apologists…). Pre Hook/Hood OUAT that focused on Emma, Regina, Henry, Rumple & the Charmings was actually great. Oh well.

• Cindy says:

I still have most of the final season of Glee on my DVR, unwatched. I’ll watch it at some point. Really I will. (Same with Under the Dome.)

• I agree with you. I don’t think it’s poor storytelling at all, sometimes the happy endings/destiny are not what you think of in the beginning. Emma might have a different fate. but then again this could just be me not boarding the CaptainSwan ship ever. But I feel that if Hook does survive, it would be pretty lame, seeming to think that it’s the Emma/Hook lovestory for the past 2 seasons. I mean the Charmings only had a season chasing each other lol.

14. Jimmy says:

This whole arc has been utterly boring. I’m not sure I believe this is Hook’s endgame, but either way this turns out, it seems like the whole Winter arc has been for nothing. To top it all off it looks like we get another big death next week.

15. Dina says:

1) Hook is coming back. Calm down.
    2) Even if he’s not coming back (which he is), can we take a minute just to reflect on how beautiful Captain Swan’s goodbye scene was? Jen and Colin gave incredible performances which moved me to tears. You can be angry about the plot, but don’t deny the beauty of the writing and the acting.

• Cory says:

This! That scene was truly beautiful, and I loved it! People get so hung up on certain points instead of watching for the entire story! Some characters have to die so others can continue to grow. Hook is not staying dead of course, but still… that scene was awesome. I am really loving this season!

• Verity says:

I agree! Plus there are still 3 episodes left in the season, and people need to realize that anything can happen.

• Yvette says:

I thought they did a fantastic job and well! Kudos, Jen and Colin!! I don’t care what other people say, I love them as a couple, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

16. Bwhit says:

Not a fan of how it turned out one bit but, I’m going to let it play out before I get super mad. That was a great scene between them, showed the growth of both characters. I hope Zelena turns against Hades. I’m not sure how I feel about Pan being gone because as a villian, he’s one of my faves.

• Suzanne says:

I LOVED the twist they put on the character of Pan from the beginning of that story line! We’ve seen other villains redeemed, but Rumple called it! He was really only acting out of his own self interest 9as he alway has). But boy what a villain! One of my favs too.

• I know a lot of people who hate Pan. I love Pan on the show because it’s an actual villain. Not one that was good first, then turned bad, then ultimately became good.

• onceuponatime says:

what i love about the show is that we learn that villains always had they reason and it gave perspective on life. but pan was indeed the villain that always has been that’s why he is such a great one and that’s why he did deserve to die even tho i loved his character back in neverland

• GambitGrey says:

He’s one of the best. The actor who’s playing HIM deserves a Emmy. He’s so evil as Pan. More than Rumple.

17. Chay says:

So what was the point in this half of the season if the whole purpose was to go to the Underworld and save Hook but they didn’t/couldn’t save Hook?? I don’t like nor do I understand this “twist” and there had better be some sort of bigger “twist” so that he comes back or something…

18. Pamela says:

Bye-bye hook, back to storybrooke.

19. Natalie says:

I think it is really stupid that he dies then they save him and then he dies again. I think they should bring him back because that is not fare to Emma

20. Debbie says:

He cried, heart wrenching show.

21. IMBGAT says:

Leaving Hook in the UW was obviously used to throw people off. They’re alluding to Hook’s death when in actuality a different character dies. I’m more than positive Hook will be back before the season ends. It also feels like a ploy to hype up the captain swan love story. They are being separated again and had the overdramatic goodbye to show that they will fight for each other. This time it’s Hook’s turn to fight and he will ultimately prevail and be reunited with Emma. The storyline is pretty repetitive.

22. April Clark says:

Emma and Regina will defeat Hades BUT for his terrible tricks he will owe them in a way and allow hook to come back. That’s my prediction and if Hook doesn’t come back, well than I just might have to cry…PLEASE don’t let this be the last we see of Capt Swan!!!!!

23. Jaclyn says:

I am not gonna watch the show anymore if hook isn’t on it, this better be a joke!

24. BTW says:

If they get rid of hook and Emma’s storyline I am done watching the show. At some point someone should be happy. I am an author myself. Horrible storyline

25. Tessa says:

Yay! Leave his ass down there. He makes Emma unrecognizable, displays rampant and unapologetic misogyny, and it pretty horrible to the son of his supposed love. Love the actor, want the character to be sliced into many tiny pieces painfully slow

26. Rachel says:

They better find another way to save Hook. He is Emma’s true love. If anyone she go it should be Hades or rumple or Zelena. Hook needs to brought back to Storybrooke so he can be with his true love.

• Becca says:

That’s never been shown. They’ve never had a TLK and I am disinclined to believe that weak ass tackle was confirmation of TL. If Hook is her TL that’s kind of sad since he previously threatened to rape her and locked her in a cell to die.

• Demi says:

oh for gods sake. He never threatened to rape her. How about you actually care about the people who are actually in non-consensual relationships like Guinevere, belle who is still emotionally abused by rumple or zelena and Regina who are actual rapists? Oh wait, nobody cares about the facts or those people unless it fits their agenda.

• Becca says:

Way to make assumptions! I actually am very critical of the dismissal of Regina and Zelena’s rapes because there is no doubt they repeatedly raped Graham and Hood. I would argue “When I poke you with my sword, you’ll feel it” while standing over a woman laying on the ground is kind of threatening to rape her. Also if you think that Captain Swan is healthy, but Rumbelle is abusive, you seem to be the one only caring about facts that fit your agenda

• Demi says:

So…. Taking your wife’s consent, constantly lying to her and letting her think she’s the bad one in the relationship is not abusive? Cs has not been perfect but at least they have supported each other. There has been a lot of debate regarding that line, I didn’t catch the innuendo until I went on tumblr. I don’t think it was rape threat, if you do, ok fine I’m just not up for people changing the facts of the show by suggesting he’s a rapist just because people don’t like the Emma X hook relationship. I do apologize for offending you with my assumption, usually the people who accuse hook of rape are hypocrites so sorry about that. But he wasn’t threatening to rape her imo, I always saw it as him threatening to actually stab her.

• Demi says:

I get mad at some cs moments. I do. Not just saying things to fit my agenda. Also like it or not, that was a TL confirmation and I’m sorry for hook not being the evil rapist misogynistic pirate everyone wants him to be:) not. We can agree to disagree, I’m in no mood to argue, just wanted to correct your ‘facts’ but clearly it’s just your anti cs clouding what really happens.

27. Ame says:

Everyone, is Hook leaving the show? Because if he is,,it won’t be worth watching. Does anyone know? Thanks!

28. Suzanne says:

AAAGH! This episode was penned by Jane Espenson. Being a Whedon alum (and I am a HUGE fan), means couples are not allowed to be happy. Plus it looks like there’s another here’s death coming from the previews of upcoming episodes.

29. ninergrl6 says:

(1) Hook can’t be gone for good. He’s too important a character with too big of a fanbase. (2) I’m irritated that we wasted weeks on superfluous characters and storylines when tonight’s episode is what should have anchored 5B all along. SO much happened SO quickly that it was difficut to follow the recap even after watching the show. It boggles the mind why the characters weren’t this anxious to find a way back home all along. (3) While I wasn’t jonesing learn the origin story of Emma’s red jacket, I didn’t mind it. It was nice to have Emma front and center again. She’s been so back burner this arc that it’s like she’s hardly there. What a far cry from 5A. (4) Related to (2) and (3) the events of tonight’s ep would have felt 100 times more emotional if they’d followed closely on the heals of 5A. While I ADORE Captain Swan and want them to have all the screen time, they’ve been so pushed to the side for the past month that their love declarations felt a little hollow, like DUH of course it’s true love, didn’t we establish that a long time ago? Maybe that was just in my head? It should have been more heartbreaking for me. I usually hang on their every word. Tonight felt like going through the motions. Except for Hook crying, I felt like I’d seen it before, and I HATE that I feel that way because I usually love them SO MUCH.

30. Kat Dell says:

I’ll be extremely disappointed if hook leaves! They purposely changed his short stint to a permanent lead (thank heaven!)
    on the TV series/show
    “Once Upon A Time” & if they created this fabulous character with the most fabulous actor playing Hook/Killian for us to adore & want to watch the life of the show; then kill him off permanently I’ll be so angry (oh lots of millions will be upset). If he has another show/movie to do then just write him out for a bit & bring him back on or do both at same time… LOTS of people do that these days… ALL THE TIME!
    Colin O’Donoghue is phenomenal & I’ve been a perfect viewer, as I’ve seen 100% of everything
    “Once Upon a Time”! Heck, I would play a role as a fiver… Just to be on the show! I’m a super fan! The writing, directing, acting to the cinnamatography & studio light/sound & special effects… It’s the most creative story telling in a fantasy setting that makes you feel as you are glued to watching & forgetting about real life, that this must be why story tales became stories we know. They just became twisted as all stories do after awhile! That in itself shows the extreme creativity of the writers concepts! The entire concept is unbelievably perfect in my book! ALL THE LEADS are cast to perfection. We as viewers deserve to keep our leads… Same with Emelie deRavin, she was brought in a temporary stint & her energy as Colin’s overwhelmed us in a creative fantastic way! I knew they would get hired as leafs cuz they are too excellent to let go of! I guess we’ll see… I do know as a viewer that watches only a handful of shows, gets so excited for my once upon a time tv night & the “Lead Players” are the reason why the concept & excellent writing works so dang well! Call me for a part as a fiver… I would luv that❤️
    From my heart, me a person that loves the creative liberal arts more than I can say… Keep on creating cuz it’s a beautiful thing! xxoo :)

31. DarkDefender says:

Hook is the new Jon Snow.
    😜

32. Moonlight4evr says:

What is up with ABC KILLING EVERY COUPLE. McDreamy, Casket, and now Capt. Hook. I have now removed Once Upon a Time from my DVR along with the other o
    Idiot shows on this network.

33. Ana says:

I’ve been rather disappointed with the writing on the show lately. However my love for Killian Jones has remained unchanged , even if I still don’t understand how he only became dark after remembering he was a Dark One and don’t understand how Rumple became th Dark One again – rendering Killian’s sacrifice null and void.
    Lots of things I don’t understand but Killian’s redemption arc and the love story between him and Emma are among the best parts of th show for me – the very best and probably the main reason I kept watching. So, I’m reluctant to believe this is the end of Killian’s story. At least I’m very much hoping it isn’t.

• ninergrl6 says:

So. Much. Same. Even with all the stuff that doesn’t make sense and the frustrations I have with the writing, I’m still Team Killian to the end.

34. Richard says:

I really hope that Hook and Emma get another chance at love. It seems like the writers tend to lean toward sad endings rather than happy, why is that the case, more often than not!?

35. I think I’m the only one that doesn’t care about Hook good for good and is more intrigued about someone’s funeral next week.

36. onceuponatime says:

i personaly loved this episode and i hook doesn’t come back it’s oky i’m in peace after watching this heartbreaking goodbye. i mean it’s better not to always have the happy ending we expected.

37. Jerae Beckwith says:

I thought firebird was good until they decided to LEAVE HOOK BEHIND!!! I was hoping for Emma splitting her heart in half to save him but no. I WANT TO SEE HOOK BROIGHT BACK TO STORYBROOKE SO THEY ALL DEFEAT HADES BEFORE THE NEXT SEASON!!!!!

38. Pat says:

I really enjoyed it. As for Hook, something tells me that he will resurface again. Once Upon a Time is one of those shows that is and has been crazy and far fetched, but I am along for the ride. It is basically fairytales for the adults to understand, so what the heck–I love it. Next week looks like a box of Kleenex needs to be in my hand. The death of someone in Storybrooke that has an impact on everyone there, only three people come to mind, David, Snow or Henry because he is the author. There is a fourth person but I am pretty sure I am way off base but could it be Emma???? This is how she might get Hook back???

39. I’m convinced that one of the circles of hell (pun intended) is being forced to watch Colin O’Donoghue cry. He broke my damn heart. They cannot keep him in the Underworld, I just caught back up to this season and I can’t lose my Killian! <3

Also I'm a little disappointed they aren't spinning the Zelena x Hades thing into a Persephone x Hades thing, like Zelena stays in the Underworld with Hades and Robin and Regina take the baby back to Storybrooke and Zelena leaves to visit her when the seasons chance, like Persephone was allowed to visit her mother Demeter.

But seriously, give Colin all the awards, man. I'll just be over here piecing back together the bits of my shattered heart.

40. Amy says:

I loved all the contrasts to Tallahassee in this episode and that ‘goodbye’ scene was heart wrenching props to Morrison and o’donoghue for selling it and making be sob like a baby. I don’t think this is the end of their story though.

41. Jk says:

Seriously can’t watch anymore if Hook is truly dead….

42. Sasa Villareal says:

Yes! What Hook did is the ultimate sacrifice — which will revive the ambrosia tree. He can live again! The trick now is how to get Hades to help Emma to get Hook back…or how Hook can get back to Emma, leaving the Underworld for gold. He may have to do it — Zelena may have had Hades to do it to make up for setting up her Regina’s family/friends.

Bottomline: Hook can’t just die and leave OUAT! #CaptainSwan forever! 😍

• Gretchen says:

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!

• AnnieM says:

I like Hook; obviously, he’s not gone from the show, because there was no pre- or post-hoopla surrounding last night’s episode. I like your theory of Hook’s sacrifice being something to revive the Ambrosia Tree – maybe he has to cry on it or something. It makes sense, too, since Emma’s sacrifice opened the door, it stands to reason Hook might have to do something, as well, which was sending her off without him.

43. Nicky says:

There must be a way to save Hook, Emma is the the Saviour she will find a way good always overcome evil

44. Amanda says:

This is one of those times I’m glad I keep up with filming spoilers. LOL Killian isn’t going anywhere. He’ll be brought back to life and I’m guessing it’ll be Zeus that does it proving that a god can bring someone back, not a mortal. My guess too it’ll be Zeus that helps them defeat Hades. However, someone else is dying and I think we know who that is too based on who was filming for these next three episodes. I did love Captain Swan being confirmed as True Love and I’m excited for what’s next for them. Next week will be sad though, and I’m excited to see the finale as it should wrap up the Camelot, Underworld, Merida stories and be the preview for season 6.

45. katlynneylon says:

Never really jumped on the Hook/Emma train. I felt like she had way more chemistry and love for Neal than she ever did for Hook, and it’s really, really, really been hard for me to forget about that one time he hit Belle right in the face. I was never rooting for him after that (even though that was probably one of the first times we saw him, and way before he was hooking up with Emma).

46. M says:

If ONLY Hook was really most sincerely dead. This is just another cruel tease.

47. Sue Lowery says:

Hook cannot be gone for good. He is one of the main reasons I watch this show. Poor form OUAT. You’re gonna lose a lot of viewers.

48. TVjunkie says:

Is it just me or does Hades try too hard with the devious whispering voice? He draws out words I’m assuming for a dramatic flare but its a bit irritating. I thought we might be done with him but guess not. Still love the show either way.

49. Jeri Rowland says:

Good to see Rumple eliminate Peter Pan, couldn’t stand that character What’s the deal with leaving Hook behind? HOOK MUST COME BACK!! True love opened the door for them, perhaps true love will allow Hook to come back to Story Brook, a be whole.

50. April says:

Long time reader… First time commenter… Typically I’ll read through the comments and see if anyone has the same ideas or thoughts on an episode as I do. I’m kind of surprised that no one has mentioned Henry being the author yet. I feel like the possibility of Henry writing Cruella back to life was brought up earlier in 5B so it could be used now. When Emma came back up and told everyone what had happened to Hook, I think they cut to Henry for a reason and it looked like he was maybe thinking that he could do something about it… Because he’s the author, he can write Hook back to life. He sees how upset Emma is (in general and at what I believe will be Hook’s funeral next episode) and decides that he’s been given his power for a reason, he can finally help, etc, etc, so on and so forth… I think that’ll set up next season to be about him facing the consequences and everyone trying to get him out of trouble or whatever.

Anyway, that’s just my two cents and what I immediately thought when I watched the episode. I was just surprised that no one else has mentioned it. Maybe I’m completely off? Regardless… Cheers! Happy TV watching! And God bless! :-)

• Bwhit says:

It’s a great theory! Henry left the book right where Hook could find it, that has to play into it as well. I just don’t think it could be done in this episode given that they had to get to the portal.