Fear TWD Recap: You Don't Know Jack

Just when we were sure that we had Strand figured out, kaboom! Fear the Walking Dead torpedoed our misperceptions this week, revealing that we didn’t know diddly about the Abigail’s enigmatic captain. What’s more, “Blood in the Streets” introduced Alicia’s “radio crush,” Jack, in the flesh, unveiled a more cunning side to Nick’s sister (and wasn’t it about time?) and renewed our faith in Madison’s instincts. And that was just for starters. Read on, and we’ll go over all of the hour’s highlights!

‘THERE ARE STILL GIRLS ON THIS PLANET’ | Off Strand cutting loose Alex and Jake in “Ouroboros,” Travis was ready to take the captain and “throw his ass in the goddamn ocean.” But Madison insisted that they still needed his “magic house” and Mexico… and yes, she was, in fact, willing to wager their families’ lives that he was on the up and up. Meanwhile, on deck, Chris and Ofelia were bonding when the Abigail was approached by a lifeboat with three passengers aboard — two young men and a pregnant woman. “Should I shoot them?” asked Chris. Alas, by the time Alicia had approached and realized that one of the trio was Jack, it was too late for her future stepbrother to pull the trigger — the threesome had made hostages of everyone in sight. To add insult to injury, Jack’s obnoxious pal, Reid (Jesse McCartney), informed Chris that “if you have to ask the question [‘Should I shoot?’], somebody should already be dead.” At least Strand made it off the Abigail on the Zodiak… although he was shot while escaping! And where was Nick through all this? (The episode’s opening showed him making it to the mainland and covering himself with walker guts, yet didn’t explain why… not immediately, anyway.)

‘I BROUGHT THIS ON US, I CAN MAKE IT BETTER’ | Unhappy to discover that the person with the keys to the Abigail was the one who’d gotten away on the Zodiak, Reid was considering plugging Chris until Travis swore that he didn’t need the keys to get the yacht started. While Chris’ dad went to work, so did Alicia, smartly flirting with Jack when he ushered her away to contact his savior, Connor, who he promised would “civilize” things upon his arrival. “Maybe,” she suggested to Jack, “we found each other for a reason.” And he fell for her line of bull so hard that he even untied her. (Idiot.) Back in the living room — is that what it’s called on a yacht? — Maddie distracted the mom-to-be from Daniel’s efforts to untie himself by discussing everything from first vs. second pregnancies to the possibility that the baby might be stillborn. “What is this,” cracked the girl, “my shower?”

‘I’M A STUDENT OF THE FINE’ | While all of this was going on, Strand was in the middle of the ocean, not doing so hot and treating us to flashbacks that showed him newly bankrupt post-Hurricane Katrina and getting one Thomas Abigail (Dougray Scott) drunk enough that he could steal the wealthy chap’s credit cards. Later, Thomas and sidekick Luis caught up with the thief. However, it wasn’t payback that Abigail really wanted. The chemistry that we sensed between Victor and Thomas during their earlier scene had been real, and in subsequent flashbacks, we learned that they’d ultimately coupled up and become so tight that Abigail hadn’t wanted Strand to go to L.A. after the outbreak began. Unfortunately, Strand had reminded his lover of their motto — “When there’s blood in the streets, buy land” — and gone, anyway. (And we all know how well that turned out!)

‘DEATH IS A NEW WAY TO LIFE’ | By and by, Nick showed up on Luis’ doorstep — that was where Maddie’s son had been going all along — and the two of them set off to catch up with the Abigail. (Of special note: Luis’ tease that his mom, Celia, was the kind of person who would be safe anywhere… making her perhaps a perfect future love interest for widower Daniel?) Back aboard the Abigail, no sooner had Connor arrived with two henchpersons than he’d departed again, taking Travis and Alicia with him. Shortly thereafter, Nick returned with Luis, who quickly dispatched the two day-player minions, allowing a tag team effort by Daniel, Ofelia and Maddie to stick a knife in Reid. Since Luis said that under no circumstances would they be crossing the border to Mexico without Strand, Maddie took a raft out and retrieved him. (And it sure looked like, in spite of his conniving and strictly enforced no-more-passengers policy, she’d been right to trust him all along. At least kinda.)

So, did anybody see the “Strand is gay” twist coming? How welcome a change was it to see Alicia using her head? Hit the comments.

1. michael says:

This episode made no real sense to me.

2. TRYING to like it says:

STILL don’t care about a single character on this show. TRYING to like it but just can’t!

3. OliveCloud says:

Wasn’t Reid stabbed with the crowbar that Travis smuggled in his coat sleeve from the engine room? Chris grabbed it during the fight while it was sticking out of Reid’s gut.

4. Leon says:

I like this show. I know it has flaws, but what show doesn’t? I’ll keep watching.

5. AngelWasHere says:

This show was slightly confusing with the flashbacks and the opener, but it was alright. Strand’s love interest definitely caught me off guard, but whatever floats his boat I guess. (Haha Get it boat? I crack myself up sometimes).

6. hneftafl says:

I’m really starting to like this show. I started rooting and cheering when Nick and Luis showed up and turned the tables. This episode is the turning point where the group learns to stop trusting people. And, Strand isn’t necessarily gay; remember, he’s a con-man and a thief. He’ll do whatever it takes to make the score. Rich marks are often male.

• ? says:

Nah he’s totally gay. Remember the initial flashbacks took place during Katrina, which was 2005. Anyone who pretends to be gay for 11 years is gay. Wait. Hold on. The zombie outbreak happened in like 2009, right? Well I still think he’s gay. Gay gay gay.

• Braxton says:

I love the show so far… i dont remember strand sending the drug addict away to find his friend in the beginning… strand being gay is a big surprise. I have no issues if he plays that part 100 %… but it fits his style if he is just playing gay just for the money. It will he strange otherwise .Thats my opinion

• Dr. Mantis Toboggan says:

In a few seasons Strand marries Daryl in a shark jumping crossover between FTWD and TWD. You read it here first, folks!

7. Richard says:

Until this episode, I was starting to think Strand had a lady friend waiting for him in Mexico who was also his accomplice in an illegal business.

8. Nick Trop says:

Another episode where our heroes are tied up with bad guys waving guns in their faces. I’ve never seen two shows where the good guys are tied up so much by the villains than TWD and FTWD. Is this a zombie series or some old black and white western serial from the 40’s? C’mon — this is the most ridiculous, over-used, corny, lame, and cliched TV and movie trope in history. Writers, can we please stop this now? Are you really that out of ideas? For a change, how about making me scream in shock, rather than scream at the TV for subjecting viewers to such tired tropes over, and over, and over again? I’m thisclose to bailing on both these shows, and I’ve sat through Jess Franco’s Oasis of the Zombies! Also, it’s a zombie series. How about including some – ya know, zombies? I think the infamous zombie puppet from Oasis is available cheap.

• kel says:

Then just don’t watch the series. I don’t watch TWD, but I assume there’s more zombies, so just drop this show. Besides, I don’t think just killing zombies makes a good plot; everything isn’t all about murdering and stabbing the dead.

Also, everything in every tv show/movie/book is “copied” from something else. Nothing is original.

If you don’t like the show, don’t watch it. Then you won’t be screaming at the tv. Problem solved.

9. Joey Padron says:

Episode was good. Good to see Strand’s past. Glad Nick and Strand’s friend rescued the group from bad people that took over their boat. Hope Alicia and Travis will be ok in next episode.

10. Larry says:

Excellent episode, though a little confusing at first. Upon second viewing, all the pieces fit perfectly. I hope that Strand does turn out to be “officially gay,” and not just an opportunistic hustler ripping off another gay person. I’ll be watching … I’m totally hooked on “Fear …..”

11. Debbie W says:

“making her perhaps a perfect future love interest for widower Daniel?” Seriously? Everyone doesn’t have to pair up.

12. CJ says:

The series is getting better. I am glad to see Alicia finally using her head and leading Jack on.

13. The Beach says:

Maybe I missed it but this is supposed to be the first week or two or the apocalypse, right? I never saw them find out that zombies could only be killed with head trauma and that someone could become “zombie invisible” by covering themselves in undead guts.

14. Kelbir23 says:

This show keeps getting better but I had an issue with there being an organized group with a leader already. Connor? Just seems strange that we have a “big bad” so soon, even the actor who plays Strand was on Talking Dead and he said they were only a week and a half into the apocalypse. It’s too soon.

• ? says:

Just because law and order only broke down a week and a half ago in LA, doesn’t mean it didn’t break down faster elsewhere. In fact, with quarantines put up all over the place, people caught at sea might have been stuck out there unable to come to port anywhere and had to band together to survive a lot sooner. And then, of course, some people barely need an excuse to behave this way. I definitely take your point, just trying to account for it.

15. MTB says:

Jesse McCartney was on this episode. This is going no where fast.

16. Keith says:

Did anyone notice the magical shotgun when the guy said ” we can bind them or we can shoot them, no skin off my.back “? The camera jumps to the girl then back to the kid and somehow the shotgun turns into handgun, then magically switches back to a shot gun. I wonder who else noticed this mistake.

17. Diana says:

Why do they need ANYone to help them across the border?

18. Enough with the token queer scenes! Walking dead tried it.