Agents of SHIELD Coulson

Was S.H.I.E.L.D. Shield Cool? Is Once Giving Free Passes? Arrow Kiss a Miss? Grimm Sitter Needed? And More Qs

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Outlander, Once Upon a Time, Scorpion and Arrow!20qs-grimm-tavern

1 | Is it safe to say, Grimm fans, that Jim & Dave’s Tavern was a nod to series co-creators James Kouf and David Greenwalt? And remind us again why baby Kelly is going to work with Adalind at the law firm? Are there no trustworthy babysitters in Portland?

2 | As cool as Outlander‘s illness-sniffing dog is, couldn’t you have lived without the graphic scene where Bouton finds the shrapnel lodged in the injured man’s leg?

3 | When Madam Secretary‘s Matt rushed over to hug Nadine after receiving the flowers, did you fear for a moment that the show was turning their odd-yet-charming friendship into something romantic?

4 | Is Once Upon a Time being a little generous with the “free passes” to Heaven from the Underworld? Like, Cora, really?

5 | Is The Carmichael Show sponsored by Wendy’s, or have the writers made an inside joke out of mentioning the Last Man on Earth Cougar Townfast-food chain in nearly every episode?

6 | Did the final scene in Sunday’s Last Man on Earth give anyone else Cougar Town Cul-de-Sac Crew vibes?

7 | Now that the season premiere has at long last aired: There’s almost no way that Game of Thrones brought Kit Harington back just to lie on a table and play a corpse… right?

8 | Any other Good Wife fans struggling with the idea that relative straight-arrow Zach wouldn’t wait to announce his engagement until his parents rejoined the party?

9 | How was Quantico‘s Alex allowed to waltz right back into the FBI after she’d all but been run out of there in the previous episode? And why, given that so many people know about Nimah and Raina sharing a spot at the academy, did the twins wear the exact same outfit when meeting with their ornery handler?

10 | Did Lin-Manuel Miranda’s appearance on Last Week Tonight confirm that he needs his own late-night segment in which he raps about current events? (We’re not picky about which show he’s on!)Scorpion Season 2 Finale

11 | Didn’t ex-Scorpion team member Mark Collins assemble that super-intricate dental floss maze really fast? And where does one buy floss that thick?!

12 | If Castle is renewed, do you think the Beckett-less Season 9 poster tagline will say “He’s Starting a New Chapter” or “Sometimes Life Hands You a Rewrite”?

13 | Was the prolonged standing ovation Kelly Ripa received upon her return to Live a tad bit excessive? (Did she also cure cancer during her time off?)

14 | Wouldn’t Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s super-secret “speakeasy” for those who trade in next-gen tech be expertly safeguarded from outside comm devices? Was Coulson’s “shield” reveal: way cool, or oddly Jalen Rose Fresh Off the Boatmissing a Cap reference? And is Matt Mitovich the only one who thought Hive said “hotel” vs. “whole town”?

15 | Who pulls off this look better: Jalen Rose on Fresh Off the Boat, or Fargo‘s Bokeem Woodbine?

16 | Is Containment the least CW-y show to air on The CW thus far? (That said, can we get 50 percent less blood-coughing?)

17 | Can we talk about what an absolute coup it was that GMA‘s Robin Roberts landed that exclusive interview with openly gay country musician Will Lexington on Nashville? The Today show must be kicking themselves.

18 | On Arrow,arrow-lauriver-flashback-kiss was the timing of Oliver and Laurel’s flashback kiss/dreamily planning for their future inappropriate considering Tommy had died only a week prior? And wasn’t it a bit confusing to see Laurel so hopeful about saving the world considering her state of mind during early Season 2?

19 | Underground’s PappyJack is a small town, sure, but was the doctor’s brother being the sheriff a bit too coincidental a coincidence? And when Sam went missing, did you correctly fear his fate?

20 | Was Legends of Tomorrow‘s giant robot/Atom fight 20qs-legends-giant-robotssufficiently impressive for a TV budget? Was Firestorm clumsily sidelined for the episode simply so Jackson could “Real Steel” with Ray? And can Cassandra Savage please join the team for Season 2?

21| Should The Big Bang Theory’s Sheldon and Bernadette team up for a “Fun With Toast” podcast? And doesn’t Raj have more chemistry with Claire than he’s ever had with Emily?

22 | Now that you’ve seen two Liz-less episodes of The Blacklist, how are you feeling about a version of the show that really might not include her?

23 | Would Scandal’s Fitz really have betrayed Olivia’s deepest, darkest secret ever simply to color Mellie’s impression of her?

McDonald's BBQ Sauce24 | Were you pleasantly surprised that Game of Silence didn’t keep the wife completely in the dark any longer?

25 | Is McDonald’s now serving their dipping sauces in little glass tubs, or is this TV spot actually suggesting we transfer the BBQ sauce into one when we get home? Because believe us when we say: That is not happening.

Hit the comments with your answers — and any other Qs you care to share!

1. justaguy says:

Am I the only one who thought the scene when the marionette was constructed was the highlight of the creepiest episode of Bones in years?

2. Tom says:

~
    Maybe they did to keep the speculation going.
    ~
    ~
    As opposed as I am to Alexander Hamilton, I must admit dude has mad skills and I’d probably like the show if I didn’t have the ties I did
    ~
    11 | Didn’t ex-Scorpion team member Mark Collins assemble that super-intricate dental floss maze really fast? And where does one buy floss that thick?!
    ~
    We’re not supposed to think of such things
    ~
    ~
    Fun with Toast could be interesting, and yeah he may have good chemistry, but I just like Emily more. She’s more the kind of girl *I’D* go for.
    ~
    ~
    Right? It’s crazy. Never ever would anyone do anything like that.

3. John says:

Is it just me or do the arrow writers seem to forget what they previously wrote? It was bittersweet seeing all these flashback Laurel Oliver scenes but as you said the problem was with the timing. I blame the writers. Because they did the same thing in season 3 flashback when Oliver was in starling city and he didn’t react to seeing laurel even though at that time he was in love with her and was telling island Slade that he wants to get to make things right.

• Yessenia says:

Not only that but they wrote their own comic books in between seasons and Oliver gave the eulogy and never saw Laurel until he got back from the island in season 2

• The comic books are only canon until something on the show contradicts them. That’s how tie-ins usually work.

• Glenda says:

Stop it. The comic books are CANON. The “tv” cluster-fail of this particular comic is a total condradiction of CANON. It actually insults CANON characters, throws the loyal audience built-in because of comic book CANON under the bus and encourages derangement on social media, denies previous episodes’ intent with poor excuses, failed continuity, antithesis of creative writing and calls it “organic”. The last 3 episodes are disjointed and show a decline of brain function.

• Kyl says:

Everything reminiscing Laurel and Oliver as a romantic pairing is more bitter than sweet. I will never get over the horrible history they have with Oliver running off to a sex cruise with her sister and then having to believe he’s still in love with Laurel. Also having Laurel say that she loved Tommy when she slept with Oliver. Having her say Oliver is the love of her life when Tommy died saving her and she felt so guilty about his death that she drowned herself in pills and alcohol. And then finally having these flashbacks with her and Oliver making plans for their future and being all smiley about it when Tommy has been dead for a week.

The whole tommy-laurel-oliver-sara love square was a mess and it tainted all of these relationships within the love square.

4. Jen says:

Ohhh didn’t notice that tavern name in Grimm! But that’s a cool Easter egg! :)

5. Lia says:

The fact Cora got a free pass is absurd in many levels. It has been painful to watch Once this season, even more so being a fan since Season 1 – I have been giving this show my love and patience for so long and I’ve been very disappointed with everything that happened in S5. Pains me to say I don’t have a good feeling about the show’s S6 – WTH are they doing?!!?

• Cris says:

I think (in the series’ continuity at least) since Cora’s actions were primarily because she didn’t have a heart for most of the series/her adult life (having taken out her own heart when she was pregnant with Regina), a lot of her actions can be explained by that. Cora regaining her heart has given her character a complete 180 and she’s paid for her sins in the Underworld – I think it’s about time she moved on.

• Rebecca says:

Wrong! Cora was still shown to be a horrible/selfish person even with her heart.

• Cris says:

………………………. So that merits her going to hell? That’s not the point I was trying to make. The worst of what she’s done came after her heart removal. She wasn’t horrible prior to her heart removal, just merely ambitious. You’re wrong.

6. jerrock says:

“Straight-arrow” Zach? Are you forgetting the abortion he kept from his parents for well over a year, or the lying about not using drugs? Zach isn’t Grace. With what happened in season 6, this 100% sounds like something he would do

7. During the Arrow flashbacks I was watching amazed at how they just reinvented the period following Tommy’s death – did they think we would not remember how the guilt drove Laurel and Oliver apart and not together, as in the revised version shown.

• John NYC says:

Or it wasn’t a flashback but a glimpse of a different Earth?

Flash showed the way. That airplane in the last scene was a better fit for Earth-2

8. Gale says:

7) Absolutely no way Jon Snow is not coming back. What form is the big question.

12) Too soon, TV Line staff. Too soon.

13) Didn’t mind the standing ovation. What ABC and Strahan did was the utmost disrespect. Good to see Ripa being shown she had support.

14) Loved Coulson’s shield, it was a Cap ref in itself.

18) Laurel was dreamily planning future of “saving the city together” while Oliver was going, “Oh, hell. I gave her hope again. Time to put myself on a plane and head straight for hell.” I did enjoy the consistent characterization of Oliver always choosing to leave Laurel behind, despite whatever his “Dear John” letter said.

Bigger question is if more people would care more about Alex now that he’s gotten hotter with the beard.

25) False advertising, McDonald’s. If I don’t get that glass tub next time I order, I’m boycotting.

• JC1 says:

Hmm yes I did notice that. But he’ll probably end up being evil now. Or dead.

• Kyl says:

I’m not sure if Thea still thinks she was cray cray, but didn’t baby canary go after Alex because he worked for Hive? When she attacked him, she accused him of working for them and then we found out that she was a prisoner.

9. m3rissa says:

18. YES!!! The whole thing felt sooooo off considering when we picked up in season two Oliver and Laurel were both in horrible places and it had been months since Tommy died; but the week after they were only a little sad??

Also didn’t Laurel despise Oliver for part of season 2 because she blamed him for Tommy’s death?? Why a week after was she ok with it?????

10. Bwhit says:

4) I agree.
    16) I don’t know if anyone else is enjoying it, but I’m loving Containment… The way this sickness is spreading is interesting and scary.
    17) I have my own Nashville ?- Gunnar said the power was out for 10 blocks, so how did they get that nice mood lighting in the background of their powerless elevator to go along with the oldie but goodie performance of ‘If I didn’t know better’?
    20) I think Cassandra would fit in well with the trio of Snart/Mick/Sara AKA the crew Rip sends in when things REALLY need to be taken care of and not talked about.

• Rachel says:

I’m really liking containment a lot.

• Johanna says:

Does anybody even like the rest? Also I’m starting to ship Snart and Sara, they’re the most interesting by far. The hawk whatever storyline is boring NOBODY CARES ABOUT THEM.

• Bwhit says:

When Ray/Kendra share scenes discussing their relationship, it’s bathroom/snack break time. I don’t mind Ray when he’s not attached to this Kendra mess. But yeah I could watch a whole episode with Snart/Sara/Rory just taking care of buisness (whatever that may be at the moment).

• sanchopanza says:

I’m with you two on this. All very well for Ray & Kendra to hook up, but the romance is soppy and every time she looks up at him with those anguished eyes I think, “Can we get on with it, please?”

• Boiler says:

Bwhit…ever hear of emergency lighting run on batteries. Most modern large spaces have them.

11. Fergus45 says:

The Arrow and Flash writers need to check in with each other once in a while. Barry is currently without his speed but sped away from the grave in the Arrow episode. I know this was filmed months ago but some continuity would have been good.

Don’t remember Laurel been that hopeful back when Tommy died. What exactly perpetuated her alcoholism after this then if not Tommys death.

Not particularly missing Liz – not really a fan but we know she’s coming back as we still don’t have an answer to what her link with Red is….shame.
    Can anyone tell me what accentBrian Denehey was supposed to have….Irish?

Quantities is just so bad….written and acted but they have a decent premise to the show that I can’t not watch.

• Fergus45 says:

Quantico

• Kyl says:

They did another continuity mistake last year when Felicity crossed over with “boyfriend” Ray. It made less of an impact because it was about the relationship but at that point, they weren’t on the best of terms.
      The Laurel flashbacks made no sense except giving closure to those who were still hopeful for romantic laurel/oliver. The comics Arrow 1.5 are more in line with season 2 than those flashbacks.

• fiberlicious says:

Russian. Although you’d never know from watching/listening…

12. c-mo says:

12. I’m trying not to think about it and still hoping it’s all a horrible nightmare.

13. Shar says:

Re 23 – Fitz is a spineless jerk and really always has been, There, said it and I will not take it back.

14. VJ says:

14. I laughed. Fit in nicely with AoS humour (btw. I really miss Hunters wit…).

20. Seeing the Atom get big was so funny after seeing a certain movie I watched yesterday. And it was really well done for a tv show. All in all, I think they did really good with the effects.
    Imo the last few episodes were really good. I’m curious if Rip’s family is going to survive now and what it is that obviously stopped them from returning to the exact same moment in 2016.

15. tallsy says:

7. We all know Jon Snow is coming back to life.
    9. At this point, it’s easier to pick scenes in Quantico that make sense. They are so few and far between.
    17. Will is one of the few characters left who I actually like on Nashville, so I’ll allow a little cross-promotion
    25. My local Burger King actually has photos on its wall of dipping sauce in little glass jars AND French Fries moved to fancy faux-wrought iron vases.

EC: Despite having such advantages in primetime AND daytime, why can’t CBS have success with news and morning shows?

16. JC1 says:

18 – Yes, it was extremely inappropriate. And stupid. The story in the tie-in comics (that Laurel was devastated by Tommy’s death, and refused to even see Oliver) fit much better with her state of mind in season two. But I shouldn’t be surprised. The writers never got her right in life, why should I have expected that to change with her death? :(
    20 – It was impressive. And I would be perfectly fine with Cassandra joining the team. She can replace Kendra. I am so over the Hawks and their past lives drama.

17. Mark V says:

I tell you one thing, Carmichael Show isn’t afraid to tackle any subject, Wendy’s should endorse the show!

18. Sandy Scott says:

I am annoyed that they took The Flash speed away.. again. I did not like it the first time and the second is just worse.. COME ON!! think of a new thing or do nothing.

• sanchopanza says:

I find it extremely hard to accept that a power can be taken away at all. It took the explosion for him to have it, which changed HIM, it didn’t just insert a bag o’speed.

19. Jenna says:

So… Did SHIELD’s Fitz and Simmons just spend the night in that hotel room then? Mack didn’t come back? No one wondered where they were? And one or both of them is going to die now, right? This IS a Whedon show, after all.

• PoeticNobleLandMermaid says:

I’m hoping that because the showrunner is a different Whedon brother and his wife co-runs it with him, they’ll be more benevolent towards Fitz and Simmons and not turn their story into a tragedy, especially considering how much they’ve already put them through.

• Lola says:

I hope so too, although as I recall Jed and Mo have been producers on many Whedon projects, so even if Joss isn’t involved in AoS the results might be the same… hopefully the fact that they’ve already been renewed and that Fitzsimmons and the actors who play them are currently the subject of much of the show’s critical acclaim will result in their safety this year…

• Jack says:

Yeah the critically acclaimed couples always get a pass on a Whedon show. Willow and Tara, Wesley and Fred…OH Wait

20. Daisy says:

8. Continuity or no, it simply didn’t make sense that he told a party full of people without telling his parents first.
    16. I could do with about 95% less grossness. I mean I get it, the disease is messy. No need to rub it in every 15 minutes.
    22. Perfectly fine with Lizz-less eps.

• Lexi says:

Have enjoyed the Liz-less episodes so much. The cast is very talented. Even her man was strong in his acting… and James Spader is a WOW””

21. G says:

If Liz is really off The Blacklist, I will start watching it again. Spader’s excellence cannot compensate for Liz repeatedly doing dumb or careless things and getting praised for it.

22. Luis says:

10. Lin-Manuel Miranda needs a variety show of his own.

12. How about “He Need a New Muse?”

18. This retconning of Oliver and Laurel is damn annoying, but the two did hook up just a couple of weeks before Tommy died, so it makes the kiss less inappropriate to me.

23. Mommaknowsbest says:

3. Been getting that feeling for a few weeks now.
    21. I actually enjoyed seeing Sheldon and Bernadette spend time together, especially playing Dungeons and Dragons. It showed how thoughtful Sheldon can actually be at times, and that’s nice to see.

• Marci says:

I enjoyed watching Sheldon and Bernadette spend the evening together too, and seeing Sheldon’s thoughtful side. I share his fascination with trains. When we were kids, my brother had a Lionel train set that was really cool.

24. PatriciaLee says:

4. Hey, Cora is our spinning gold out of straw gal that outwitted the gnome from our childhoods…in other words, of course!

25. PatriciaLee says:

1. Hey, Portland, Oregon began recycling in the US, and we had the first mall. If it starts anywhere, it will be here!

26. Yessenia says:

18. It was definitely inconsiderate…in the beginning of the episode Laurel claimed to love Tommy in every way! And then she is going to turn around and kiss his best friend, a week after the funeral. Yikes!

27. Ash says:

11. Mark makes a comment about wanting a better material but not being able to be choosy about the floss when stealing from the mental hospital.
    18. I love Arrow and I stand by it. But I’m really unhappy with that flashback continuity, as well as the decision to kill off Laurel while keeping…I can’t curse here, so lets just say…sucking vats of human garbage like Malcolm around. (Although, yay for keeping Barrowman around ’cause I do love me some Barrowman.)
    20. Dream team for season two of LoT: Sara, Snart, Mick, Cassandra, Constantine, Earth 2 Laurel (the angst between her and Sara would be so fun to watch). Connor Hawke/Diggle Jr might be fun too. And someone more villainy as a villain than Savage.

28. Lex Roberts says:

There is no Castle without Beckett. This season has been difficult enough with less Beckett. UGH!

Listen, Once Upon a Time completely forgot what it was about. Shame, really. Why shouldn’t Cora get a free pass when we know that Hook will get one? FREE PASSES for everyone! WOOHOO! Season 5 has been a disaster. These days, I watch for Lana.

Fitz is a giant BUTT. There is not a single thing about that man that is likeable let alone that 2 women find him remotely interesting.

I love Legends of Tomorrow! Fun show all around.

29. SAM says:

Fargo‘s Bokeem Woodbine?

“Fun With Toast” podcast, while would be very funny, will probably never happen, and yes, Raj does have lots more chemistry with Claire than Emily.

“The Blacklist” is more interesting with Liz dead.

30. Jason says:

3) I’m still unconvinced they’re not setting up a romance between them.
    7) Jon Snow will definitely be back. It’s just a matter of how long it takes
    12) I was thinking more along the lines of: “Sometimes the bottom line bites you in the ass” or ” If revisionism has a name…It’s Richard Castle.”
    20) It was fairly impressive (if a little cartoony). Especially that last slow-mo head shot. Which is probably why there was no Firestorm. They blew their effects budget on the battle of the behemoths.
    22) Blacklist without Liz is a grim and depressing place that I don’t mind visiting. Just don’t ask me to buy a condo. Fascinating though it may be at the moment, long term prospects require her to return. Red and Liz are the beating heart of the show. Take that apart for too long and things will begin to falter.

31. Larry says:

I think Raj has more chemistry with Emily then again its subjective as half the fans think Penny and Leonard are great together and half seem to disagree.

32. Pia says:

25. Looks like an Ikea tealight holder.

33. queensgirl says:

1) Considering that Diana was taken from her, I’d think it would be hard for Adalind to trust a relative stranger with Kelly.

34. Bob says:

12) a writer who can find a better muse(;

35. Stacy says:

10 – Lin-Manuel Miranda would be the only update news I would watch.

19 – Underground is not afraid of killing off characters; that gravitas is the basis of the show. I did not expect to find the scene so visually impactful and disturbing. This show impresses me with every episode.

21 – Emily was a fun off the wall character at the beginning, but I liked Claire more immediately. She definitely has more chemistry with Raj, and I think better chemistry with the cast.

36. Amanda says:

Here’s a new question: Is it intentional or a “happy” accident that Happy and Doc on Scorpion are named after two of Snow White’s dwarfs?

37. ScottJ says:

7. Game of Thrones – the really unusual thing was crediting Kit Harington in the title sequence. Normally actors only get a credit if they have a speaking part. But the show did bring back 3 other actors just to kill them in a single scene, and I think the actress who played Myrcella gets to do the dead thing next week. So who knows.

38. Beckhaco says:

#4 yes!
    #12 Definitely the rewrite phrase! Lol
    #13 Way too excessive!
    #14 LOVED the shield, but needed a Cap reference
    #18 The show was completely inaccurate. Definitely disappointed in the writing.

39. Marci says:

I never saw anything that special about Liz, and I was getting tired of her pissiness towards Red, so I don’t really care whether she comes back or not. I watch the show for Red and the other members of the team.

40. John NYC says:

“And wasn’t it a bit confusing to see Laurel so hopeful about saving the world considering her state of mind during early Season 2?”

From the aircraft he was flying at the closing? I’m doubtful that was the same earth as the one the Arrow is unfolding on. He ‘s seen approaching the island? I’m thinking that’s for the first time on THAT Earth. Flash established the precedent. I don’t think that was a flashback at all.

41. Dj says:

14. I thought Coulson photonic shield was pretty cool and a nice nod to the comics when Cap had one. As for Hive I heard him say town.

42. Boiler says:

Is it just me or did this set of questions seem particularly cruel/picky? These are TV shows

43. LizZIE says:

18. YES. It was weird how Laurel was so happy about the future one week after Tommy was laid to rest. It ruined her character even more because everything she’s done has literally been informed by her love for Oliver. She probably only because BC to get closer to Oliver and steal him away from Felicity. Now her creepy inappropriate face touching from a couple of episodes ago where she was telling him she was here for him after his break-up makes even more sense. She was just waiting for him. PATHETIC.

44. #14 The sheild was cool and I expected a Cap reference but the line worked and I totally thought he said hotel and when I saw the preview I said do those people live in the hotel . . . I thought it was an ode to Ryan Murphy and AHS