Exclusive

Arrow Video: The Team's Mourning Is Interrupted by... Black Canary?!

The CW’s Arrow resumes Season 4 tonight (at 8/7c) to lay Laurel Lance to rest — after, that is, the team investigates Black Canary’s “resurrection”…?

As seen in the above exclusive sneak peek, Oliver, Thea, Diggle and Felicity are still reeling from Damien Darhk’s cold-blooded, ultimately fatal stabbing of Laurel when Quentin arrives with a most curious and seemingly impossible newspaper headline.

Might Supernatural huntress Madison McLaughlin’s mystery role, debuting tonight, be that of some “Black Canary groupie”? All that Arrow boss Marc Guggenheim would say on that casting is “she’s in a circumstance that is very dependent upon [Laurel’s death. Arrow writer] Brian Ford Sullivan pitched a very interesting story involving her character that is something we haven’t done on the show, and is something I don’t think any show has ever done.”

Whatever the case, press play above to see how the team reacts to this twist.

Elsewhere in the wake of Laurel’s passing: Diggle is overwhelmed with guilt for choosing to believe — and ultimately be betrayed by — his brother Andy, while Lance asks Nyssa to help bring Laurel back.

1. sarah t says:

Hmmm, should be interesting… I know I’m probably in the minority that really won’t miss Laurel on the show (that’s nothing against Katie Cassidy, I think she’s a great actress. I just never was crazy about her portrayal of the BC). I thought the team was getting a little crowded but I probably would have been just as okay if it would have been Thea that ended up in the grave. I’m definitely interested to see how this might change the dynamic of the group.

• dragon2heart says:

You are not in the minority. The field team was too big & Oliver’s fighting skills were downgraded in order to accommodate it. Now with just the 3 of them fighting in the field I am hoping Oliver’s skills will once again be highlighted. Just like too many cooks ruin a good meal too many fighters ruin a good scene.

• sarah t says:

Exactly! Honestly, I preferred it when it was just Oliver and Diggle. I liked Roy but he kind of took away from it too. I’m hoping that Katie will get picked up for another show because I do enjoy her (I’ve liked her since Melrose Place reboot). I think she needs a different type of roll though maybe?

• GUSTAVO ALCALA says:

NEW BLACK CANARY KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!!!

• GUSTAVO ALCALA says:

DESPITE WHAT PRODUCERS STATE ITS PAINFULLY GLARING KATIE CASSIDY WAS FIRED!!!!!!! CASSIDY WOULD NEVER QUIT A MAJOR FRANCHISE AFTER FOUR SUCCESSFUL YEARS!!!!! NOTICE THAT FEMALE CO STARS WILLA HOLLAND AND EMILY HAVE REMAINED SILENT!!!!! TOO MANY FEMALE CHIEFS AND NOT ENOUGH INDIANS AND KATIE CASSIDY WAS MINOR CHARACTER COMPARED TO THEA AND FELICITY!!!!!!! IF BLACK CANARY WERE TRULY DEAD THEN MADISON MCLAUGHLIN WOULD NEVER BE THE RECAST!!!! THIS WAS ABOUT KILLING OFF KATIE CASSIDY THE ACTRESS AND KEEPING THE BLACK CANARY CHARACTER ALIVE WITH A DIFFERENT ACTRESS!!!! THIS BLACK CANARY RECAST WAS CAUSED BY BAD BLOOD BETWEEN KATIE CASSIDY AND WILLA AND EMILY!!!!!

• Okay but how we’re Olivers skills downgraded to accommodate a bigger team? Especially considering there has been more episodes with four team members without? For most of season two there was Sara, Roy, Diggle and Ollie. For season three it was Laurel, Roy, Diggle and Oliver. Season four was Laurel, Thea, Diggle and Oliver.

Season five – if they don’t downgrade Thea so Emily can have her spot in billing, there will be at least four people in the field because Curtis is gonna be a regular.

This whole “too many people in the field” complaint is just coded language for “we don’t want Laurel in the field” and doesn’t fool anyone.

Oh and

• sarah t says:

Downgraded in the sense that you don’t get to see just Oliver fighting anymore with DIggle alongside. You get a lot more aerial shots of the whole team fighting with a few close ups on some of the one on one fights but as far as an extended fight scene with just Oliver (and/or DIggle), you don’t. I think that’s part of why I’m having a hard time getting into LOT. To me, these type of shows work better when there’s one main hero/heroine and then maybe another cast member as a support (for fight scenes, etc).

• GUSTAVO. ALCALA says:

MADISON MCLAUGHLIN IS NEW BLACK CANARY!!!!!! THIS YOUNG ACTRESS REPLACING MUCH OLDER KATIE CASSIDY IS SIMILAR TO TEENAGE JANET LOUISE JOHNSON REPLACING MUCH OLDER PAMELA SUE MARTIN IN NANCY DREW ABC TV SERIES IN 1978!!!!!! THE NANCY DREW RECAST FAILED !!!!!! WILL MADISON MCLAUGHLIN SUCCESSFULLY PULL OFF A NEW BLACK CANARY!!!!!!

• Liz says:

I guess I’ll join you then because I feel the same. I thought Laurel’s BC was atrocious and never gelled with the team. The team was too big anyway and they needed to lose a mask and I think Laurel was the right one to go.

• Ray says:

I don’t think you’re in the minority. Katie Cassidy’s Black Canary was always this show’s weakest link. Good riddance.

• GUSTAVO ALCALA says:

MADISON MCLAUGHLIN IS NEW BLACK CANARY!!!!! APPARENTLY PRODUCERS WANT YOUTH DEMOGRAPHIC IN REPLACING KATIE CASSIDY WITH MUCH YOUNG MADISON!!!!!! BUT WILL BLACK CANARY BE KILLED OFF AGAIN!!!!!!!!

2. ABG says:

I still think killing her was a huge mistake and poorly done.

3. Personally, I hated killing off the Canary…Black Canary is the 2nd most iconic female hero in DC Comics…still in shock they did that

• Ri says:

Comics are a starting point not an ending point for tv shows. Too many universes. Too many canons. She even died in one of them. In the show, she’s not even in the top 3 of the most relevant characters in terms of storylines so of all the 3 masks who are not Oliver, she was disposable. She has been for 2+ seasons, in my opinion.

• dragon2heart says:

Agreed. When a character’s death moves the narrative /plot forward in a way that her life never could – it’s time to lose the character. I love the comic book version of the BC but that’s not who we got for the show.

• tvjunkie says:

And look how bad the last 2 seasons have been viewed, by what seems like a majority, as they steer away from the comics.

• Lily says:

Actually the more they try to be like the comics (see Black Canary becoming a thing and magic and people never dying) the less interesting this show has been. Taking a couple of the problems away is a good thing. Hopefully we’ll get rid of the Magic as well.

• Rizza says:

I agree with you.

• Liz says:

THIS. Couldn’t agree more.

• Well it’s kinda weird to be complaining about the comic book elements when you are watching a comic book show? So weird how the Arrow, er, who are we kidding, the Olicity fans get super butthurt when ppl ignore Arrow in articles about the DCWu but don’t want it to be a comic show at the same time.

4. brenna says:

Although I didn’t want any main character to die, I won’t really miss BC. I agree that the team was getting too big and I want to see more emphasis back on Oliver and the action scenes focused more on him. I’ve also always like the brother/sister dynamic with Oliver and Thea and am glad he still has at least one relative!

5. Jason says:

Speaking of a huntress, I’d like to see Arrow’s back on the team. How long are they going to leave her in jail.

• Beth says:

The huntress? She was great. They wrote a comic between s2 et s3 called Arrow 2.5. She helped Oliver and he let her choose to walk away or go back to jail. She chose to stay in jail to pay for her actions so she could easily come back as a hero.

6. dan says:

I liked Laurel and Black Canary, I’d rather they offed Felicity. I’m so over her morose whining and crying, she was so much better as the nerdy and quirky tech geek with a sense of humor. At least Laurel knew who and what Oliver was and accepted him and stayed loyal, Felicity is always looking for ways to give up and bail because he responds in a way she doesn’t like while dealing with the situations she puts him in.

• Liz says:

Laurel didn’t really know Oliver at all. She never really believed in him and Oliver in turn treated Laurel like crap. He cheated on her, called her an addict etc…

Man am I sick of reading comments saying Felicity should have died instead. What is this? Exchange one female character for another? No. So sorry that Felicity grew out of the ‘quirky IT geek’ box you confined her in. So she was only okay when she stayed a certain way but the minute she became more that’s not okay with you. Wow. Gross and sexist.

• Bookladyjane says:

I don’t think it’s sexist at all. I think the way the writer’s have treated Felicity in the last two years is sexist. She went from an interesting vibrant character to a whiny, wishy-washy, caricature of a woman. I would have loved to see her grow from the Geeky IT Girl to an actual person. Instead she became every stereotype of women on TV. I didn’t care much for Laurel either but at least she didn’t whine as much as post-Olicity Felicity.

• Ian Barber says:

Thank you! I loved Felicity and hated Laurel in the first two seasons, but it’s like they swapped personalities. Somewhere along the line, the writers decided that Felicity needed to cry in almost every episode – despite promises that wasn’t going to be the case in season 4. The relationship back and forth is terrible and has done nothing for the show but drag it down. Put them together or break them up permanently. The horrible soap opera tropes that they are using to cause the relationship problems are so typical and overdone (who hasn’t seen someone find out they had a secret kid on General Hospital, Days of Our Lives, etc.). Next thing you know they will have Oliver cheat on her for some reason, or some female villain will steal his sperm and impregnate herself with it. Some other horribly overdone tv device geared towards giving them problems. Come on, writers – give us something better!!!

• Beth says:

Laurel had zero storyline since her becoming BC. None. Even her becoming BC was about honoring her sister. She didn’t bother you as much as the 2nd season because she became invisible. Meanwhile when she “cried” and “whined”, that’s when she had substantial storylines. How dare Felicity cry when she was scared about her friend drying or when she got paralyzed from the waist down or when her father betrayed her again or when her fiance deceived her for months? That’s sexism. You don’t see anyone putting down Barry Allen for his many many tears.

The soap operas tropes bothering you? Take it up with Berlanti and everyone else who said that comics are soap operas for boys. I don’t know why it didn’t bother you when oliver cheated on his girlfriend with her sister and came back to find his girlfriend dating his best friend, or when thea found out her biological father was evil, or when oliver slept with his father’s mistress.

I’m not one to defend the baby mama storyline but if you’re using the soap opera tropes as an anti-argument, you’re a little late to the party.

• Elle says:

Can people learn what sexism means? It’s like people are blindly throwing it out there in hopes that it sticks. I love Felicity, but someone not liking her is not sexist. Disliking a woman is not sexist, disliking a woman because shes a woman is. It doesn’t make you sexist if you support Bernie Sanders over Hillary Clinton.

Hell, I don’t like Malcolm and would have preferred him to get his due, but that has nothing to do with him being a ‘man’, I simply find him smarmy, duplicitous, selfish, and pathetic. I also think Felicity and Oliver are overly stubborn in their own ways – people need to face facts that the characters of this show have faults and were purposefully written with faults; people will react differently to said faults and will like or dislike them more because of that. Someone loud and outspoken can appear to be confident and charming to one person and a jackass to another.

• Lea says:

“I like this character better than this other character (whom I liked better before her characterization was altered), so I’d rather have the other one dying instead of the one I like”

Liz: “OH MY GOD HOW DARE YOU NOT LOVING THIS CHARACTER JUST THE WAY SHE IS NOW? YOU’RE SO GROSS AND SEXIST”

He just said he doesn’t like Felicity’s new characterization – which it’s his right, even because she did change a lot – and you, like a whiny teenager no one will listen to in real life, pull out the sexism card. Right. Because everyone HAS to love ALL female characters no matter who they are or what they act like; if they don’t, they’re sexist.

How utterly pathetic and narrow-minded.

• Ian Barber says:

Oh boy I guess she schooled me! Maybe I didn’t mention Barry because the article is about Arrow and not the Flash? Ever think of that or are you too busy being offended because not everyone loves your precious Olicity? Should I have made a list of all of the tv tropes as you did? I used one example to illustrate my point. I like the Emily Bett Rickards just fine. Why not have her get angry? Why not have her punch a punching bag? Why is it that she has to whine and cry about everything? She is being written terribly and it’s made her (unlikable to a large portion of the audience. I swear some of the people on here would love it if they just killed off all those pesky superheroes and just made a show all about Felicity and her love life! PS Thank you Lea for being a voice of reason!

• Beth says:

“Why is she crying instead of punching stuff???”

Thank you. Thanks for proving me right.

• dan says:

Don’t be ridiculous. Felicity REGRESSED to the point of nothing but a whiny friggen child when she had been a truly great character. She walked out on a man who stuck by her through really dark stuff including her attempted murder and maiming and then walked out on him when he handled a situation badly, through the lens of his crippling PTSD and fear. for his child. All situations he would not have been in had she not dragged him into fire when he warned her it would turn out badly.

Laurel on the other hand, had REAL grievances with him, recognized he had changed and grown, forgave him stayed his friend and ally and stuck by him and fought beside him. She was the much more fully realized and adult character.

To call me sexist for posting the plain truth is fanatically over sensitive and moronic. I can’t stand Felicity anymore, really liked Laurel, period.

7. Kate says:

Isn’t it probably just Sara? I know she’s not rocking the black anymore and the funeral is apparently not tonight (where she shows up and that gives Legends the chance to tell her) and she might be recognizable enough to Cisco’s device. But who knows with time travel. And Earth 2’s Laurel is Black Siren (it could be her since Zoom is headed back here to take over and he probably takes some back up with him) but its possible its Earth 2’s Sara.

8. mac says:

“Hey Black Canary fans, F**K YOU”

– Marc Guggenheim, probably

• Malachi says:

Or she died cause it forward the plot.

• Haha forwarded the plot. Because they couldn’t be exactly where they are now if she hadn’t died. Andy still betrayed the team whether she died or not. Darhk is still out there whether she died or not. There’d still be Olicity drama whether she died or not and LOOK there is even a BC whether she died or not.

It’s not even a plot device. It was done strictly for shock value and to pay off a poorly thought out promise of a death. Guggs said as much and Mericle has even said the final episodes aren’t even about plot but character aka Olicity.

• kyl says:

Funny enough, the focus is on Diggle and Lance in the next few episodes while olicity is probably not getting back together this season but you seem bitter enough to draw your own assumptions.

Also, it wasn’t a shock. The people who were shocked are the ones who think comic legacy is a safety blanket on a show where you’re not the title character. Her father got two storylines in the same season – one personal with Donna and one intertwined with the plot with Darhk- before she even got one.

• Anthony Mxyzptlk says:

It seems like it’s the more adult female characters with outside jobs who usually get killed — Oliver’s mother, now Laurel. If Jeri Ryan’s character hadn’t dropped out of the Mayor’s race, she would have been next! But now, except for Dahrk’s wife and Felicity’s mother, there are no female characters over 25 on the show.

Personally I would rather have seen Laurel get pregnant by Captain Cold, keep the baby, and periodically curse him for running off to the future and leaving her to raise the child by herself. But now that they’ve killed her, they’ll have to bring in her double from Earth-2 or some such when they want her on the show.

• Elle says:

It was a plot device the writer’s were forced into due to poor planning. It ‘moving the plot forward’ is a dumb excuse, people would be furious if Diggle or Felicity had died, whose deaths would undoubtedly also ‘move the plot forward.’

It was horrible writing that no character deserved to go through. There was no substance to this death and it was always going to be that way regardless of the character. They began with a grave and were forced to fill it, they effectively ‘dug their own grave’ and when push came to shove Katie was the poor soul who had to shoulder the burden.

I could care less about ‘following canon’, but when the writer’s spout bullcrap that the Black Canary’s story was coming to an ‘organic’ end despite the fact that they hadn’t even begun to tickle the surface of her rich history, then you deserve all the crap you get. Dishonoring the Black Canary by 1. having her not go out as a hero and 2. having her last words be about the show’s ‘ship’ is disgraceful. Then tack on the fact that they’re bringing in another Black Canary the episode after is even more BS.

9. wydok says:

Either Laurel faked her death or her death scene was very very very poorly directed and written.

10. Stormie Woods says:

I won’t miss her character but I am excited to see how the others deal with it. This person is doing to Laurel what Laurel did to Sara. Steal a dead woman’s belongings and play impersonation game.

11. theapplefour (@theapplefour) says:

Laurel Lance was the best character on that show, she was the closest to reality there was. To have an show about Green Arrow and not have Dinah Laurel Lance is insanity. I hope the show fails, because it has certainly failed the fandom. The writing for this show is absolute garbage.

12. Ray says:

The dead need to stay dead, or this show will turn into a farce just like The Vampire Diaries.

13. Her body was dying so Constantine came in and transferred her soul to a brain dead person in the hospital?

14. Fosho says:

Can’t wait for Arrow to come back on tonight. So tired of these dumb hiatus. Excited for the rest of the season and all the fun stuff coming.

15. grys03 says:

Wasn’t delirious about the way BC was portrayed – Katie is a good actress, but I think the writers simply ran out of ideas of what do with her. Didn’t like the idea of a BC death.
    But then whose to say this is Earth Prime? Where’s Superman, Supergirl, Batman etc If not Earth Prime then maybe on this Earth (X, XI, XII or whatever) BC does die & GA marries a computer nerd?
    Don’t know – but I do know that the Darhk storyline has taken the show way over the line of mystical/magical etc – even more so than that of Ra’s Al Ghul – which would be great if it was GA, Dr Fate & Constantine but it’s not.
    & to be honest I haven’t enjoyed Darhk as a villain at all – Mrs Spooky Darhk is actually more in line with the tone of the show & it’s setting.

16. she will be back, nobody ever dies on this show, it got really stupid after season 2. used to be great, now its a joke, everybody is a superhero, laughable at best. hope they don’t ruin the flash. with this nonsense.

17. Dale Garland says:

I realize that the show is supposed to be what the early years of the comic book Arrow might have been like. But to KILL OFF the woman who would become ( in the comic ) the love of his life AND his wife, seems risky if not stupid. UNLESS…unless of course she is brought back (even with a different actress) either through the Flash’s time travel, Rip Hunter’s time travel or perhaps and Earth Two Black Canary, which I believe is where she started with the Justice Society of America in the first place. Who knows? Twist and turns and resurrections abound in the world of sci-fi, supernatural comic bookdom.

18. TJ says:

I really must be the only one who thinks Laurel dying is such a stupid decision. I don’t understand why people are so harsh towards Katie Cassidy. I personally would have rather seen Diggle in that grave because I don’t see what his character brings to the table. He is a waste of screen time ans his Spartan persona is just as pathetic.

19. Jason says:

It was foolish and cheap how Guggenheim et al. handled Black Canary’s character, killing her off in such a manner. Nothing is a truer sign of poor, unimaginative writing than using a death for shock value. Laurel was a strong woman both in and out of the Canary costume, an excellent role model, and a well-developed character. We fans deserved better.

20. Breaddy123 says:

Haha looking at these comments its so funny to see the majority of women don’t like laurel and the majority of men can actually see how much of a good character she was….do these women feel threatened by laurel? I think they do :P

• Missy Milani says:

I think she was a badass as a female and should never have been killed off. I am hopeful there is a back plot coming.

21. Missy Milani says:

Humm take her body on the ship used in Legends of Tomorrow…take her back in time to when the PIT was active…bring her back to life.

22. Missy Milani says:

Take her back in time…add in to Legends of Tomorrow series. they can bring her to the PIT so she can be brought back to life.