Grey's Anatomy Finale Spoilers

Grey's Anatomy Cast Hints at 'Potential Disaster' in Season Finale

It wouldn’t be a Grey’s Anatomy finale without a calamity or two. And it appears this year will be no different.

“There’s definitely a potential disaster,” confirms Kelly McCreary (Maggie) of the May 19 season-ender, before quickly adding, “There’s a lot of disaster potential, let’s put it that way.”

Co-star Jesse Williams (Jackson) says viewers should prepare themselves for a “bigger climax” than last year’s closer, which focused mostly on the aftermath of Derek’s death. “This finale is outrageous,” he declares. “The stakes are very, very high, particularly for Jackson and April. There’s a lot to be gained and there’s a hell of a lot to lose.”

Meanwhile, Grey’s newbie Martin Henderson (Nathan) paints a far rosier finale picture, calling the Debbie Allen-directed episode (which is currently in production) “pretty positive” overall. “There are a lot of positive things that come out of the final episode,” he shares. “There’s a lot of humor and some very funny scenes.”

And while Henderson acknowledges that there’s also “some tragedy,” he notes, “It feels like it ends on a really upbeat and optimistic note.” (Reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. AD says:

I swear if they do ANYTHING to mess with Japril’s baby, Im gonna go on a murder spree. I need their baby to be healthy & for them to get back together. Please & thank you.

2. ABG says:

I love the current iteration of the cast. I’d be sad to see any of them die in the finale.

3. Whatevah says:

Can April die? That would be a happy ending for me. :)

4. Nikki says:

If a disaster needs to take anyone out please let it be Penny.

5. SUSO says:

A helicopter crashes into the hospital in the middle of a simultaneous earthquake/tornado. Then, when all seems safe… the tsunami comes…

• Wilma Flintstone says:

lol

• DarkDefender says:

That is the silliest thing ever. We all know it’s going to be a Sharknado.

• Al says:

I think ER already used a helicopter to attack then later kill off a doctor on their show, so hopefully the Grey’s crew are safe from that. The tsunami, on the other hand, is fair game…

• Paul says:

It did. Writers dropped a helicopter on Paul McCrane’s character Dr. Robert Romano. That was the second time a helicopter did him wrong; he’d earlier had his forearm severed when it accidentally caught it in a tail rotor.

6. svs says:

Please please please kill Amelia! I can not handle one more scene of her constant whining!

• Sara says:

Gosh me too, one of the worst additions on the show.

• NM says:

Aside from Meredith, Amelia is the second character with the most life experience when it comes to situations of grief and crisis. The difference is she’s more damaged from her past and sensitive to it unlike Meredith who just shuts it down. Two very similar people whom just react differently. This character was poorly written on Grey’s I will admit since arriving from Private Practice, but with an insight and understanding to her character over the past 7 years, I thoroughly enjoy her.

• Rosebud says:

Good post, I totally agree. I too like Amelia and would miss her character if dropped from Grey’s.

• svs says:

She is also arrogant and childish. Damaged or not, I care nothing about watching this on a show about adults. I get quite enough of that from my teenager.

7. Guest says:

Will Alex and Jo finally get married? Shonda had promised a real focus on them this season but ended up ignoring them again and I’m very upset about that because I think these two have so much potential, especially with their foster kid pasts. Why aren’t the writers interested in touching such an important social issue?

I’m also wondering if something between Meredith and Nathan will spark. I think Shonda will do a slow burn with them but it would be nice to see one of them show interest in the other before the season ends. I think with also having lost a spouse and being able to relate to Meredith’s pain of losing Derek Riggs will be a good love interest for her. People are speculating whether or not something will happen between him and Maggie but I don’t think they fit well personality-wise and I also think that it makes sense for the writers to have him bond with Meredith’s sisters first so he can access Meredith better.

8. Rem_Marshall says:

I read that someone is going to die in the finale (or pre-finale). I feel like it’s going to be Arizona or Penny. There’s no way Callie is leaving for NY. Everytime someone wants to leave Grey Sloan Memorial, there is a reason not to. And both Arizona’s or Penny’s could work.

Since the beginning, I felt that Callie/Penny relationship was doomed to end at some point in the season. But currently, keeping aside Arizona’s lawyering up, the couple is pretty stable and moving to the next level. So I won’t be surprised if Penny dies soon. The still-mourning Derek fans would be happy to get some kind of vengeance.

Personally, I want Penny to stick around (not necessarily with Callie though). She is a controversial character (given her background), but that’s what’s interesting with her ! It’s pretty bold to have brought back and kept the doctor who precipitated Derek’s demise ! So, please don’t get rid of her ! (But hey, my hopes are low).

• rowan77 says:

Don’t you think it’s more feasible that Callie will be unable to take Sofia to live in NY (she can’t do that without Arizona’s permission, and we all know that isn’t happening) so she will tell Penny she can’t move to NY with her, so Penny gives up the fellowship and stays? We already know that Edwards is leaving the show. She will likely get the fellowship at that point and move to NY.

• Well, legally, I don’t know if Arizona has a word to say… Ultimately, it’s Mark and Callie’s daughter, and she is “just” the ex-wife of the mother. Or did they sign papers I don’t know about ? (I could have forgotten !).
        But I do think Callie will stay in Seattle in the end. As for Penny, it’s just my gut telling me she won’t be around for so long.

• rowan77 says:

She adopted Sofia. She has the same rights as Callie.

• JAPRILeverafter says:

Do you even watch this show? Arizona is NOT ‘just the ex-wife’, she is Sofia’s Mum in every sense of the word. Not only has she been a part of Sofia’s life since before she was born but she adopted her and has sole custody.

Arizona has more say, legally, than Callie does.

IF someone is going to die, my money is on Jo, Stephanie or DeLuca. It has been relatively quiet on the Jo/Alex front and that is NEVER good. Jerrika is apparently leaving the show and DeLuca hasn’t had as much screen time as normal.

Also April & Jackson won’t die because of the story lines they have already very recently had, Meredith is GREYS, Maggie will stay because otherwise they just have to bring in another sister, Amelia and Owen just reunited and it would do neither of their characters ANY good for either to die. Miranda is WAY to popular and I’d like to believe Shonda wouldn’t kill her husband, so Ben is safe. Riggs has too many storyline potentials and his current one isn’t even close to being wrapped, Arizona just got sole custody of her daughter, Penny is too obvious and they wouldn’t do that to Callie. Callie is also way too popular, as is Alex. Webber is basically the only parent Meredith has, so they wouldn’t dare kill him and Catherine is the villain we all LOVE to hate.

Ill still be a nervous wreck until next Thursday…

• Sandy says:

Why are people so intent on killing off Arizona? Why does anyone have to die at all? I know this is Shondaland, but fans who don’t like specific characters want them to be killed off! Really? But if you want to play that game, first know that JCap already has a contract for Season 13. The only major character who doesn’t is Sara Rameriz. So, if Shonda is going to kill anyone, it could well be Callie, especially if she, for whatever reason, wants to leave the show. Now that would be as much a tragedy as killing Arizona.

9. Luis says:

A disaster on “Grey’s Anatomy?” Shonda’s really thinking outside the box now!

10. Pat says:

Oh my gosh, another disaster, NOOOOOOOOOO! Can’t they just end one season finale with no disasters, no deaths, just one happy season ending. How about Alex and Jo get married also, Jackson and April get back together, just please anything but a disaster.

• stellalunaa says:

They do happy ending/non disaster finales but they are nowhere near as good as the disaster ones. Plus last year wasn’t one so its time.

• HQ says:

Actually, last year we had the tunnel collapse as the big disaster. It wouldn’t really be a greys finale without some kind of calamity. I’m just hoping we can make it without any regular cast deaths this time! We have lost too many key people in the last few seasons. Let some minor (penny) characters die this time!

• Paul says:

Perhaps they could have a double wedding… and then a meteor hits the church! Has Shonda done a meteor, yet? :)

11. Wilma Flintstone says:

A disaster? That would be strange. Not unlike the shooting and the plane crash and the storm and the other storm. Yawn! IOW…please watch the show because the numbers a slipping. There may be a disaster. ZZZzzzzzzzz

12. CT says:

Since Stephanie (Jerrika Hinton) will be on a new show soon and because Wilmer from that 70s show is giving me a serial killer vibe I think she’s not long to live…death by guitar string?? Why else bring a very well known actor for such a smaller role with one of the co-stars and not for someone billed higher on the cast list to date?

• Monica says:

No, I don’t think so. I think she’s going to ride off into the sunset with him, which I actually think is pretty cool. I’m not getting the serial killer thing from him. As someone living with MS I love that they introduced a character who is living with this disease but who is not disabled. Before I knew someone who was diagnosed I thought people with MS were all in wheelchairs. I’m glad Grey’s is showing that it’s very possible to live with MS and do everything you always did.

• Jayasri says:

Jed Bartlet (Martin sheen) from The West Wing is President of the US with MS. And he has the same kind that Wilmer in Grey’s Anatomy has.

13. Mary says:

At this point, the use of disaster in a description of a Grey’s episode no longer has the same appeal.

14. freckledme says:

Kill Meredith! PLEASE!!!!!!

15. Tony says:

I’m hoping they give Riggs a chance to shine and not continue to be Owen’s punching bag

16. CK3 says:

They’re running out of disasters that can happen at that one hospital.

17. katie says:

seriously hoping japril and the baby will be fine ….don’t care about anyone else

18. Dianne Hill says:

Just get rid of Penny – I don’t really care how they do it.

19. Anna says:

Arizona and Penny get into an MMA style fight in the middle of the hospital and kill each other. Their fighting creates havoc and panic, and a patient accidentally sets the hospital on fire in the chaos. Grey-Sloan burns to the ground, and they have to move the new hospital to Hawaii. Season 13 becomes “Grey’s Anatomy: Honolulu”

20. NJMark says:

Generally, it seems that one should stay the hell away from Grey+Sloan Hospital during the month of May.

21. Andrew Hass says:

I don’t think April and Jackson’s baby will die but maybe there’s a crisis that brings April and Jackson back together.For example maybe something happens to Jackson.Plus the last couple of finales of Grey’s was not about disasters and no really big cliffhangers where lives are in danger.

22. Carter says:

Jerrika Hinton is moving to a new Shondaland show so she will have a dramatic exit for sure. I hope they do not mess with April and Jackson more. Let them have a healthy baby and get along, please.

23. matty says:

My gut is telling me that either April has a miscarriage or Arizona is killed off.

• Kstav says:

Arizona will be around the next three years. Just read that Jessica capshaw signed a deal for 3 more seasons.

24. Puleeeeze kill Penny!! She really only has one facial expression.

25. Kari says:

Amelia needs to go, sick of the screaming and how selfish she is. Owen deserves a better person than her. Such a lazy pairing. The writers have no imagination at all

26. Bev says:

Maybe it will be Jackson’s mother. Or Callies new gf.

27. Kayla says:

We want derek

28. Brandi says:

Penny and Amelia need to go! They BOTH suck! I think in finale judge will reward sole custody of Sofia to Arizona. That would be quite the twist huh?!? Meredith and Alex need to hook up! They have always been so close. I don’t like JO never did. Be cool if they brought Christina back and her an Owen give it another go! I always liked Christina that girl got SPUNK!

29. Sophie says:

I hope they get rid of Penny. I do not and have never liked her. Just something about her character that just puts me off. She is so needy and whiny. Just get her off the show. She does not fit with Cally either. Kill her off or send her on her way.