Underground Renewed Season 2

Underground Renewed for Season 2

Noah, Rosalee, Cato et al are going to keep on running, now that WGN America has renewed Underground for a 10-episode Season 2.

To date, the freshman slave escape thriller is averaging a million weekly total viewers and a 0.3 demo rating — numbers that with Live+7 DVR playback swell to 3 million and 1.0. Underground improves on the cabler’s 2015-16 primetime average by 508 percent in total audience and by 1,005 percent (!) in the demo, in Live+7 numbers.

“[Underground is] a series that has resonated with so many passionate fans across the country,” WGN America president Matt Cherniss said in a statement. “We are deeply proud of the work that the talented cast, crew and production team have done to bring this story to life, led by our gifted creators Misha Green and Joe Pokaski and our partners at Sony Pictures Television. It is an honor to have Underground on our air and we look forward to how the story will unfold in what is sure to be a stellar sophomore season.”

Production on Season 2 begins this summer with an eye on a 2017 premiere date. The Season 1 finale airs Wednesday, May 11 at 10/9c, preceded by an all-season marathon at 1 pm.

Want scoop on Underground, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Lola says:

I didn’t figure this for a multiple season thing. I thought it was a limited run mini series. Oh well. I do enjoy it.

2. Shaun says:

If it’s doing so well then what took so long for the renewal?

3. Sarah says:

Yay! Loving this show! I do hope they switch more of the cast from recurring to permanent cast. I can’t imagine the show without Amirah Vann (Ernestine – Sam, Rosalee, and James’ Mom) or Reed Diamond (Tom Macon). Honestly this whole cast has done amazing work and I hope most of them get to stay for season 2.

4. Carole Pucci says:

Happy to hear that Underground was not just a mini series and there will be a Season 2. Enjoying the show very much.

5. Joey Padron says:

Great news! The show been great so far.

6. Aeol says:

This show is insane. I came to it late, but all caught up and looking forward to Wednesday nights. I’m excited to see how it could continue – perhaps the surviving Macon 7 become “conductors,” obviously the abolitionists will have to stay involved (although their storyline is the weakest right now IMO), and what will become of Sam? Congrats Underground, you deserve it.

• I really like this season, but I hope that the remaining Macon 7 reach safe harbor by season’s end, because I don’t see the value in continuing their escape. Like you suggested, I would like to see them become conductors on the Underground Railway, and see new characters emerge whom they assist in finding their way to freedom. It would also be interesting to see how the Macon 3/4? assimilate into becoming free men and women. Also, maybe a trip to eastern Maryland to bring in Harriet Tubman’s character, or a side trip to Harper’s Ferry, WV to pull in John Brown’s historic raid.

7. Rob says:

Great news! This show is excellent and so is the cast. It gets you thinking about what the slaves must have gone through.

8. keenen says:

Since it has moved with such breakneck speed, I don’t know what season 2 would be about unless they continuously introduce new slaves that are escaping or have Noah and crew go back and get others. I personally do not want to see them get captured and have to sit through another year of them trying to escape again.

I also enjoy other characters way more than Rosalee and Noah. The young actors were heartbreaking last week, and I would love to know more of Cato’s backstory.

Losing, Zeke, Moses and Henry was terrible. Thus far none of the white characters have died.

• Kathy sealey says:

How can you say that…Master Macon was hung by Stine…The Marshall was killed by Tom Macon, and all of the slave trackers whose names we don’t know…

9. RachelC says:

SO EXCITED. This show is incredible, and the entire cast is just unbelievable. I’m dying after last week’s episode, and I can’t wait until this week’s resolution.

10. This is hands-down the best show on the air right now. It’s historical context is important and relevant, but not overshadowed by the gripping storyline and fine acting. I love that the writers/directors took an approach that drives interest to this ugly, undertold part of American history.

• Tye T. says:

It’s just refreshing. For T.V and for writers and actors and actress to show there craft and tell a story that’s worth it on television what I’m really trying to say I’m tired of reality Television

11. j says:

love this show

12. Charyse Smith says:

I like the show,but I’m beyond tired of waiting.
    When you started the first season,
    You should have already been working on season 2.
    Who in the Sam Hill wants to wait till 2017 to see more.
    I’m soooo over it.You lost me with the too long of a wait.

13. Reggie says:

I love this show!! At work we are all talking about season 2 and on edge for it. Please do not make us wait until 2017!!!

14. Jason Robbins says:

Thank you very much for the show and even more for the second season we as in my family absolutely love it keep it going as long as possible. one of the best shows I’ve watched in a long time. And thanks to Hulu for the full first season

15. Karen says:

It’s gonna be a long winter OMG!

16. Adriana says:

I keep watching this over and over waiting for the next episodes. Please never ever cancel this!!

17. Elizabeth Rodriguez says:

This is an awesome show please keep it in production.

18. Bernice says:

Great show. Was hoping for another season.

19. Brenda says:

Why is it taking so long for season 2? are you afraid that you will loose your audience by taking too long & when can we expect season 2?

20. Jerry says:

Just found the show Underground on Hulu a few weeks ago and My wife and I love it!!!! Can not wait untill season 2!!! Love this show and the cast is amazing!!!!!!