The Mindy Project Jody Dating Season 4

Are Mindy Project's Dr. L and Jody Becoming a Thing?! Star, EP Weigh In

If you picked up on an interesting new vibe between Mindy and Jody during that stroll home from Colette’s party at the end of last week’s The Mindy Project, you might be left with the same question we were: Are Dr. L and Dr. K the new Mindy-Danny?

We asked series creator and star Mindy Kaling about the possibility of a budding attraction, a theme that continues in this week’s installment (available Tuesday on Hulu). Her answer? Comedically cagey.

“Garret Dillahunt is so much taller than me that when I act with him, it hurts my neck. I think he is a quintessential ‘tall drink of water.’ Who wouldn’t have a budding attraction to Jody?” she tells TVLine. “This is my way of avoiding answering this question.”

The new, possible relationship (?) comes as the Hulu comedy gives its audience what executive producer Matt Warburton calls “a little bit of a break” from the intense Mindy-Danny episodes, including the couple’s breakup in the midseason premiere.

“We love those episodes, but those got heavy, man,” he says. “While the Mindy-and-Danny stuff is definitely happening and it’s a really tricky moment for the both of them, there’s a lot of fun. We’re investing in Mindy’s relationship with her friends outside work, which we haven’t always done.”

Still, Warburton downplays rumors about star Chris Messina’s imminent departure, adding that Danny’s presence moving forward “will feel very much like the first 13 [episodes]. He’s a presence throughout the entire season.”

The EP adds that Dr. Kimble-Kinney, played by recurring star Garret Dillahunt, is heavily featured through to the finale.

“Jody’s been just great, and we love him,” he says. “So there’ll be a ton of Jody.”

Would you get behind a Mindy-Jody romance? Sound off in the comments!

1. Rosie says:

Are they forgetting that Jody is a terrible chauvinistic pig who was grossed out by breastfeeding, told her to stay home instead of hiring a nanny, and can’t keep his hands off college girls and his own sister- in-law? He makes Danny look downright progressive. It seems like this is where they’re going, but I really hope they haven’t put those two together, I think it will really turn off a lot of fans. The reaction to last week’s episode was pretty negative already.

• bar says:

Nope, after Danny’s completely inappropriate but widely ignored comment that women lack a sex drive in the midseason premiere, I put him on exactly the same level as Jody. So if Mindy wants to get her rocks off with Jody, I say all the power to her. At least he sees her as a sexual being

• Jill says:

Danny saw her as a sexual being, in fact the last time they’re really together all he seemingly wants her for is sex. That was sort of all they ever did right, in fact…

But to ignore the real problems they introduced with Jody in his first episodes shows the same inconsistency in the writing that has always held this show back, unfortunately. As smart and funny as the show can be, they’ll eschew continuity and character consistency in a heartbeat for a punchline. Such a bummer.

And I don’t care how much they deny it, something is going on with Chris Messina that changed the direction of the show drastically after the first few episodes of season four.

• Bryce says:

No no no. Danny sees her as a hump pillow, Jody sees her in a different way (hence him not making a movie in the last episode). It’s also important to note that Jody started as a caricature who’s now becoming a character, so you have to view him with new eyes.

• Dude says:

To be fair, I’m pretty sure that comment was meant as a joke (hence, Mindy laughing) but he’s been such a sexist pig this season, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was serious. Jody has certainly had his misogynistic moments but overall, he’s proven to be a pretty good guy and I’d rather see her with him than Danny at this point.

2. Brooke says:

I totally agree that Jody is not a good person; however, people can change and that is always a favourite for tv writers (i.e., making a villain a hero essentially). I am here for this new relationship whether it be platonic or romantic if Mindy can help make Jody a better person because of friendship/love.

• Jill says:

Problem is, the show already got a large number of fans invested in a flawed guy and hoping Mindy could help him improve – Danny. they already had her improved him to singe extent. You know, The one she’s got a kid with and was supposed to be her soulmate. If they’re going to have her make a guy better, why not Danny? don’t think too many fans care to see that rehashed ask over again after years of investment in the other relationship. I’d rather see her date random dudes than try to fix another sexist colleague.

• Mary says:

I really am hoping she is just playing coy to make people interested and get a reaction. I mean I am not that big on the must have Mindy and Danny- although I do admit the show did build it up big time, but Jody just doesn’t fit at all he and his sister aren’t adding to the show. So I am hoping they are just trying to get interest and reaction. Probably wrong.

3. Matt C. says:

Considering Danny’s presence was nonexistent in last week’s episode, I have to wonder how large a role he’ll play in the remainder of the season. I’m fully supportive of Mindy dating again, but I don’t really think Jody is a good choice for her. I definitely like them as friends but not as a couple. Mindy should know by now that dating in the workplace leads to drama!

4. MrScreenAddict says:

I stopped watching this show when it became clear they were committing character assassination on Danny in order to drive him and Mindy apart for no explicable reason. Nothing I’ve read about the show since has made me regret that decision. Oh well. I’ll always have fond memories of the first three seasons, I suppose.

• bryce says:

Happy 4 u

• thisismenow says:

It’s kind of silly at this point. The whole first 3 1/2 Seasons was the whole relationship building of Danny and Mindy. Them overcoming the odds and ending up together. Yes, we all essentially know they will end up together again, but they’ve made Danny so unlikable this Season, that it is hard to even care. I watched the breakup episode and haven’t bothered with anything else.

• Silveraynea says:

This is exactly how I felt about this season so far. They could have just broken up instead of ruining Danny.

5. Mary says:

Ok I have to be honest, I love the Mindy Project and I think I am loving what they are doing showing real issues that come up with couples when they have a baby. I also love that unlike any show I can ever think of they are dealing with a woman choosing to work or stay home and all the politics that go in to it. It is complicated, real and messy.

I am also thrilled that we aren’t as focused on the Mindy & Danny pairing and more focused on Mindy as an individual character and the other office staff. I mean I could watch a lot more of Tamra and Mindy or Jeremy.

Now with all that said I have always felt that The Mindy Project has had the best chemistry on TV, my favorite scenes were in the office. My least favorite episodes were when they focus on just Mindy & Danny as a couple like Dinner with the Castalanos. However, the addition of the characters of Jody and Collette have done major damage to the chemistry and flow of the show. And again this has nothing to do with Danny because I am not a big Chris Messina girl I’d trade him for Adam Palley in a second. I just don’t think the two actors are good on the show; I think they distract and lack chemistry with the cast. I still love the show but I think if they went the way of Shauna I wouldn’t be sad.

6. Lauren says:

I’m glad I didn’t make the jump to Hulu. The way I’ve read about Danny being written into the ground is sickening. I had loved their relationship and Danny was so adorably flawed. To read about who he is as a character now just makes me angry.

7. Gica says:

No no no no. I definitely would not be up for a Mindy and Jody romance. This show has and will always be about Mindy and Danny. And if that is no longer the case, then I am done with this show. The writing on the show this season has just been so sloppy and lazy. I’ve loved this show since the beginning so thinking that Mindy no longer ends up with Danny is a hard thing to grasp. But her ending up with Jody is just stabbing fans right in the face.

8. Lauren says:

Seems to me, unfortunately, like they are most definitely writing off Chris Messina. A “presence” doesn’t mean that he will actually be present. That sentence literally answers nothing to rumors of Messina’s possible departure.

9. evababy says:

Ewww. I hope not. I find his character utterly repulsive.

Why take the time to pointedly make Danny this conservative type with rigid ideas of what a wife is supposed to do only to replace him with someone who has displayed even worse chauvinism?

10. Lauren says:

This makes me even happier that I dropped the show. I’m gonna keep my memories of the first few seasons sacred, thanks but no thanks.

11. Beth says:

I can get on board with this!!

12. Priyam says:

While they may be fleshing out Jody’s character now, can’t Mindy stay single? Does her happily ever after have to involve a man? She has a kid, something she always wanted and three great loves (Bill Hader- Pastor dude- Danny) which is more than what regular people get

13. Allee says:

I doubt they’ll be a thing, but if they are, so what? She’s had 5 or 6 serious boyfriends, several more sex partners. And that is pretty much the case with every sit-com lead. I don’t understand people getting so emotional about it. I doubt Mindy/Jody are endgame.

14. Ella says:

Please, no. I miss the days when Mindy ventured outside her medical practice. Bring on the hot guest stars, I veto this nomance.

15. kali says:

Seriously? How rigid and conservative can Jody be with an overweight, lesbian, rough-edged sister? Read between the lines…It’s called character development.
    And yes, there is chemistry between Mindy and Jody. As an Indian American, I can totally relate to have a weird attraction to the All American, overly masculine guy who is totally wrong for me, the geeky Indian. Opposites attract. It doesn’t mean they’ll end up together, but they can be attracted to each other. I think it’s stereotyping and lack of any kind of cultural knowledge to think that just because you are a geek and ethnic, you can’t like an All American white guy.

• Alex says:

Who even said that she couldn’t be into him because of that? Danny is a white guy, too. You’re taking this to a weird place.

16. Leigh says:

I like Mindy and Jody’s dynamic, but as a friendship only. With Peter in Austin, I think it’d be nice for her to have another platonic confidant.

It would be fun, for me at least, to see her with Brendan again. They are both naïve about the world in different, comical ways and both of their hearts are ultimately in the right place. I find them fun to watch together.

17. Emily says:

I liked this show best when Mindy was single and having disastrous dates and bad luck in her love life. She was funny and relateable. Then the show/her character got super boring as soon as she settled down with Danny. I was so glad to see the writers break them up so she could start dating and being interesting again and exploring that whole single mom dating thing… but now it seems like they’re just rehashing the same plot again with Jody? I hope that’s not the case and there’s a twist they’re setting us up for, like they’re going to end up coparenting as platonic friends or something? We’ve already seen the office romance story! I also wish they’d bring back Adam Pally.

18. Kelly says:

No. No, no, no, no. No Jody. Hate him on the show. Get Danny back in here.

19. rebecca chancey says:

Sexiest thing in the world, the scariest man from the brilliant but hardcore “Deadwood” winds up a seasoned rich old school doctor with high maintenance workaholic Mindy. I think he actually respects Mindy more than Danny ever did…Jody is amused by her, not threatened. One gets the sense he and Collette came from a pretty cold family. They make a hilarious team, but he’s hot because he’s an ex-murderous psychopath now playing a gentleman. He carries his past in his eyes, and Mindy is a fresh breeze to his gloom. I want him to buy her things!

20. Andrea says:

Uggh besides jody’s flaw I somehow falling for the chemistry between him & mindy,I mean he’s a total asshole (My view ) but whatever I’d really wanna see them together

21. Adriana says:

JODY for the Mindy win! Yes, yes,yes. All for team jody/Mindy.