Kelly Ripa Live Apology ABC Michael Strahan

Report: Kelly Ripa Gets Apology From ABC Execs for Strahan Live Exit Snafu

Kelly Ripa‘s imminent return to the Live With Kelly and Michael hosts’ table was eased by a mea culpa from ABC and Disney executives, according to a new report.

CNN’s Brian Stelter cites several sources who say that Disney-ABC Television Group president Ben Sherwood and his associates reached out to Ripa and her departing co-host Michael Strahan — and both hosts’ agents — to apologize for the way news of Strahan’s exit from the daytime chatfest was handled last week.

As previously reported, Ripa sent an email to the staff of the show on Friday, thanking them for giving her time to “process” news of Strahan’s upcoming move to ABC’s Good Morning America, which reportedly blindsided her when she found out not long before the general public did on Tuesday.

At the end of Wednesday’s broadcast, Strahan — who hosted alongside fill-in Ana Gasteyer (Saturday Night Live) — addressed the absent Ripa and her effect on his time at Live.

“I really want to thank of course Kelly Ripa because Kelly welcomed me here and I’ve learned so much from her,” he said. “She’s been an amazing influence on me and it has truly changed my life to be here with her. I know that the show will continue to be strong and great because of Kelly and Michael Gelman and the staff here. Everybody is so talented and this show has not been around for over 30 years by mistake… Kelly, I thank you and I love you and everyone else here at Live.”

CNN also reports that Ripa would like to put the controversy behind her.

Given this new information, log your vote in the poll below!

1. Yoko says:

She’s put in years on the show. She deserved better.

2. Jason says:

It was a smart show of power on her part. The fact that ABC is the one apologizing just goes to prove it.

3. Lola says:

Did they offer her a cheeseburger as a peace offering?

4. Max says:

I’m so over this story already.

5. Larc says:

I think the apologies are coming only because of public reaction, not because Disney/ABC really feels they have done something wrong and won’t arrogantly do the same kind of thing again.

• big cheddar says:

I totally agree. She knows they’ve been considering a 3rd hour of GMA and now the writing is on the wall for her show.

• J Hollingsworth says:

It’s coming out about her pay: 20-million dollars a year, how much is that per day, per week? hmmmmnnnn

• Cassie says:

I agree. How convenient they apologized the day before she returns to the show. I’m no Kelly and/or Michael fan but anyone can see this is damage control.

• J Hollibgsworth says:

So true: I loved Jimmy Kimmel’s comments, he wanted to fly to NY and be on the show, he was hilarious!

• summer says:

Ratings!? Why would these top executives who been in the business way before any of us was born decide to put one over on their leading lady, who comes across as a nice lady on TV? Come on! It’s all a scam for ratings. Let’s take a poll on how many viewers LWM&K receive 2morrow. They average maybe 3 or 4 mil. My guess is 6 to 7 mil. And that’s adding people who leave their TV on that channel while working.

• J Hollibgsworth says:

So true! Kelly’s salary $20-million-per-year: what does that work out to be, per day, per week? hmmmmnnnn…

6. CM says:

Although I think executives screwed up, I find it hard to sympathize with Kelly.

If I (or a lot of prople) threw a tantrum and decided not to show up to work for a few days, disciplinary action would follow.

• Bar says:

Tantrums imply uproar. Kelly was calm, and she has sick days to take. So you should learn words and get over yourself

• LT says:

BINGO. I didn’t see any tantrum over the last several days. It was smart for her to take some breathing space.

• KatsMom says:

True, but that speaks more to the fact that most of us don’t have any power or leverage with regard to our employers. We’re easily replaceable drones. The popular host with her name in the show’s title…not so much. She used the power she has to improve her situation. I think most people would do the same…if we were lucky enough to have similar advantages at our disposal. I’d say that she effectively bargained with the suits here rather than threw a tantrum. If she didn’t have every right to take the time/days off that she did, the suits would be threatening to sue her for breach of contract…not groveling, as the reports claim.

• Dude says:

I highly doubt you’d call it a tantrum if Kelly was a man.

• Mary says:

It is called being a mature adult and take a few days to process and how to handle the situation. Not to mention the fact that she had self worth and stood up for herself. Yes ABC/Disney is her boss but does not give them the right to disrespect their employees.
      Personally I don’t think any job is worth that.

7. CeeCee says:

Yes…. she should’ve been told in advance, not 5 minutes before it went out to the world. BUT she should’ve handled her reaction with a bit more class and grace instead of throwing a tantrum like a 2-year-old. She came off looking like a spoiled brat who didn’t get her way.

• John NYC says:

Please post your video of the tantrum: instant viral!

Otherwise what you’ve got is someone stepping back from a performance she’s not comfortable delivering with some one she has lost some trust in. Two days ain’t the end of any worlds and she seemed to give enough notice they easily scheduled a temp for the extra days.

The deal didn’t close just as that broadcast ended: she easily could have had a discussion more than a few scant moments before the press release with relevant people. Gotten details discussed and laid out the transition plan: like professionals.

8. David says:

I think the big issue was this is the 2nd time she found out about something at the last minute that affected her (the first was when Regis told her he was retiring just before he announced it on air)- if they wanted to keep it quiet sure, but tell her the night before at least; not 20 minutes before the press release goes out…

9. Dmliss.1@juno. Com says:

They are one of the very best TV “couples and the Big Guys should hsve been BIG enough to treat them as equals ! That’s TEAM work!

10. Shar says:

Very unprofessional of ABC !! No one should ever get back doored / blindsided. I think Kelly’s done an amazing job hosting Live. Keep up the good work Kelly. Thanks for being fun!

11. lmk says:

I’m asking this in sincerity, not to stir the pot: why is there the opinion that she should have had a say in whether Strahan moves to another show? If she is not his boss/supervisor/etc., why is there a feeling she was owed an explanation? What factors brought all of this together? Clearly I’ve missed something….

• wilsonatmd says:

It’s not that she wanted a say, it’s just professional courtesy to tell her something so important as this more than a half-hour before the press release. Plus it also gives more credence to the rumor ABC wants to air a 3rd hour of Good Morning America, which would hurt her show (since the ABC stations that have Live- remember it’s syndicated and not a strictly ABC show- and air it at 9am would have to move it to 10am or even later, which could damage it)

• lmk says:

Ok, that helps. Clearly I don’t work in high level media. Thank you!

• Deedee says:

Thank you wilsonatmd!!

The way the TV line story is written, Kelly was overreacting that Michael was leaving and no one told her. I suspect her reaction was predicated on the thought of GMA adding a 3rd hour. LIVE become vulnerable to cancellation in some markets which will have to chose between LIVE and The View. Coupled with losing a co-host at the exact same time these changes take leaves LIVE, out in the cold. It would be better to find a new co-host in August, leading up to the September change date, if in fact GMA goes to three hours.

12. Sherry says:

Kelly is a strong person and TV personality, she will once again find a great co-host, remember when one door closes another one opens up❤️

13. Lucy says:

Why should anybody care? Kelly is making millions of dollars a year!
    Just a bunch of manufactured drama.

• J Hollingsworth says:

Yes, this couldn’t have come at a better time: Ratings Sweeps! Be happy for Michael, be happy for Kelly, they’re all rich and getting richer everyday!

14. She acted like a spoiled brat, unprofessional. Hey Kelly news flash, nobody cares. You will pay for this stunt later, believe me.

• sarah says:

Just because she’s in a different salary bracket doesn’t make it okay for her superiors to treat her the way they did. They may not have needed to consult her or get her approval on this decision but it’s still common courtesy to keep her in the loop. I don’t know why that’s so difficult to understand. Regardless of whether she makes a lot of money this transition still affects her job and she had a right to be informed at the very least.

• Mary says:

Your green eye envy is showing. It has nothing to do with money but everything to do with self worth. A concept that you might not be able to grasp.

15. Peggy Novak says:

What’s the big deal…She only took one extra day off…she did the right thing….Kelly should have been notified way in advance of the meeting…she should negotiate a better contract the next time around, there will be no show without her …as much as I liked Michael, his shoes will be hard to fill!

16. Patti says:

Don’t give it a second thought! But do not have Regis for long or show will tank!!!!!

17. Shelly Spidle says:

Wow Kelly I am proud of you!!!! Keep your head up high, and remember your name is first on this show!! Michael I love you but your spreading yourself to thin. GMA, game show, book, clothing line, fox sports equals overkill

18. Karen says:

ABC & Michael handled it so shady. Kelly should get a new cohost now.

19. BW says:

ABC should also apologize to Stana Katic and Tamala Jones for firing them. ABC should also apologize to Castle fans for making a really dumb decision. Fire the executives at ABC.

• J Hollingsworth says:

True! Good point

• Susie says:

I think the way ABC and Disney handled this whole situation was appalling and showed their total lack of conception of the human factor and lack of respect for the people who work for them. How long have they been doing business and they still have no clue? Amazing! And… Great!!! They apologized! That is the LEAST they can do. I think the execs need to take some classes in human relations.

20. Charles Mashburn says:

Charles Mashburn in Kentucky it seems to me that in day lifetime there’s is all going to be change in TV shows when two people hosts a show as time grow so do the host growth grows to better things it hard to say goodbye to side kick when they are as close as Kelly and Micheal but life goes on to new and better things

21. Maryann says:

I firmly believe they should have , at least , try to keep Michael on at lest 2 to 3 times per week.

They both are very good at what they do & it does not matter how you want to describe it, they have an abundance of talent & charm that it is very hard to come by.

ABC , do not break a winning combination , I am sure Michael’s ambition can be quelch with a little more money & I am sure you can afford to raise both their salaries.

Keep good talent like theirs around.

22. DJ Doena says:

I don’t get it. Let me get this straight. Two people are moderating a show. A decides to leave and B finds out in an unexpected way. B then decides not to show up to work at all and the bosses decided to apologize to B for not telling B about it?

That about it?

What about B’s apology for going AWOL?

Are the Yankee players also not going to show up for a game when one of their players switches teams unexpectedly?

• dman6015 says:

It’s called respect. She’s been co-host/host for 15 years. She deserved more than just a couple of minutes notice before it went public. That action indicates Disney/ABC doesn’t really value her.

• DJ Doena says:

All of that may be so (I’m not American, I don’t know her or the show, I just read and commented because I was bored). But that doesn’t justify a walk-out or a fake “sick day” just because you have been slighted.

23. Walkie says:

Yawn.

24. John Howard says:

Michael Strahan should never have been given the position to begin with he did not earn it he’s very good at what he does on the Football announcers but he has no business being a co-host of a talk show maybe one day after several years of experience but not at the level he thought he was giving he simply was not qualified that’s why the ratings Tanked

25. K.N. says:

It does not escape notice,that far too many women in television are treated this way. Jane Pauley,Ann Curry,Joan London to name a few.Kelly make these people pay for their ego!@

26. Susie says:

27. John says:

So let me ask the readers a question. If you threw a temper tantrum, and decided not to show up to work for a week, what do you think the outcome would be? Oh we’re sorry, or perhaps, maybe, “your’re fired!”?

This is a job, plain and simple. Everyone has a boss, and sometimes we don’t like what the boss has to say. Happens to everyone. Think everyone else cries and whines about it? No, they either suck it up and deal, or find a new job.

Sure, she was blind-sided. So you have 2 options: 1. Act professional, and get over it, or act like a child. If you choose the latter, eventually no one will want to work with you. *Employees* (and that is what she is, although a $20M employee) don’t always get consulted by the higher-ups when making decisions.

So it boils down the this, you can either choose to do your job in a professional manner, or they can choose to replace you. And make no mistake, EVERYONE is replaceable, even Kelly Ripa.

28. Terry says:

I am one of two supervisors where I work. So if the other supervisor didn’t like where he worked anymore and got a better offer good for him. But I wouldn’t be a baby and leave work for a week because no one had told me about it yet. Besides, if I did that, I would be fired! Apology? Ripa owes everyone there an apology, not the other way around. She should have also had a warning about her diva behaviour and how it could affect what happens the next time her contract comes up for signing.
    Stop acting like a baby Ripa! Waaaaa! Whether you like it or not, you are a grownup now,

29. Pk says:

Just don’t accept Regis: show will be cancelled

30. Nancy Martin says:

I think the real issue was the rumors that GMA was going to be expanded to three hours and with them pulling Strahan to GMA it certainly seemed to put “Live” on shaky ground. I think she was concerned for her job and those of the people she has worked with for many years besides the fact all they had to do was let her know what was going on. I think she would have been fine with his moving on if they had just kept her in the loop.

31. Carol Ann says:

Kelly could carry the show without a co-host. I’d advise her to negotiate with another network, but she is too loyal to staff and fans to think like those who decided to kept this a big secret from her. Not to inform her ahead of time was mean, unprofessional, inconsiderate, disrespectful. This was not a last minute decision on the part of the co-host to leave the show. If he “loves her” as he stated, he would have confided to her before headlines broke; she would have kept his confidence and not compromised his new contract. His response seems insincere while her explanation was from the heart. Kelly is someone who can be trusted. Sorry, but I cannot say the same for the other guy.

32. Manny says:

There are more important things to concern ourselves with in todays world??

33. As in any work environment, keeping your employees INFORMED on imminent changes that will AFFECT THEM DIRECTLY is important for keeping a productive work environment. This shows that you VALUE and RESPECT them (the employees) enough not to just ride roughshod over their feelings. You don’t have to consult them on the decision. Just keep them informed.