DWTS Paige Mark

Dancing With the Stars Week 6 Recap: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

Never underestimate the power of Dancing With the Stars.

In the course of just one episode, the ABC reality competition has taken nine iconic dances from pop culture and ensured that we will never be able to look at them the same way again — some for the better, and others for much, much worse.

On one hand, future listenings of ‘N Sync’s “Bye Bye Bye” will bring me right back to Wanyá Morris and Lindsay Arnold’s ultra-badass jazz routine set to the 2000 pop jam. And on the other, anytime I spot a rerun of Slumdog Millionaire on basic cable, I’ll have flashbacks to Doug Flutie and Karina Smirnoff’s Bollywood routine, and that’s a grudge I’ll hold against DWTS forever.

Let’s break down the highs and lows of Week 6, aka Famous Dances Night:

BEST OF THE NIGHT
Wanyá Morris and pro Lindsay Arnold (Jazz inspired by ‘N Sync’s 2000 MTV VMAs performance) — If you know me at all, you know that using ‘N Sync as a soundtrack for any routine will instantly turn me into the human equivalent of the iPhone’s heart-eyes emoji. (Go ahead, ask me if I’m ashamed of seeing ‘N Sync in concert seven times during my youth.) (Not even a little.) But even better than the killer musical choice was Wanyá and Lindsay’s intense, energetic and crazy-crisp execution. Lindsay wasn’t the only Dancing pro to let her partner take center stage during Famous Dances Night, but Wanyá was the only one to seize the spotlight and completely own it. Judges’ Score: 29/30

BEST OF THE NIGHT (RUNNER-UP)
Paige VanZant and pro Mark Ballas (Jazz inspired by Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery) — If ever there were a Dancing pro who could whip up an entirely new routine on limited time (after his initial song choice was legally restricted), it’s Ballas. While paying homage to the original Mike Myers flick, he and Paige added just enough modern flair to make the number work in 2016. (Bonus points to the UFC fighter for not cackling on the spot the moment she made eye contact with her snaggle-toothed partner.) Judges’ Score: 28/30

MOST IMPROVED
Antonio Brown and pro Sharna Burgess (Jive inspired by Footloose) — Sure, the NFL player went just a touch overboard in the last third of the number, moving from enthusiastic to manic territory as he nearly flung Sharna across the ballroom. But it was refreshing to finally — finally! — see Antonio take the Dancing gig seriously, as he kicked and flicked his way through a leading role in the routine. Say what you will about the couple’s pre-performance video package — which focused more on Sharna’s Week 5 comments re: who might win the competition, instead of Antonio’s lack of commitment to rehearsals — but the footballer’s brief scuffle with his partner made way for their best performance yet. Judges’ Score: 27/30

WORST OF THE NIGHT
Doug Flutie and pro Karina Smirnoff (Bollywood inspired by Slumdog Millionaire) — OK, now this just seems cruel. There are So You Think You Can Dance all-stars who still struggle with this intricate style, and one of the season’s weakest remaining contestants is saddled with it? I have no doubt that Doug gave it his all, but the entire routine resembled a sloppy jig that your uncle might deliver after a few too many drinks at Thanksgiving dinner. Judges’ Score: 21/30

And now, the results:

THREE COUPLES IN JEOPARDY
Paige VanZant and pro Mark Ballas
Doug Flutie and pro Karina Smirnoff
Von Miller and pro Witney Carson

ELIMINATED
Doug Flutie and pro Karina Smirnoff

With that, I turn it over to you. Did Doug and Karina deserve to go? Which dances earned your cheers (or jeers) on Monday night? Tell us in the comments!

1. AngelWasHere says:

Am I the only one surprised by Nyle’s ego tonight? Woah someone got a big head. He’s good, but no need for those type of comments.

• Lindsey says:

I think it could have been taken out of context or could have been a joke. He is deaf after all and signs his way to to communicate. So it really all depends on the tone that his interpreter uses. I’m in a sign language class and it really is hard to determine if people are joking or not if you don’t see the full context

• AngelWasHere says:

I was wondering that. Hopefully that’s the case and he can make it more clear via his interpreter, because comments like that put him a bad light and he needs the votes. B/w that’s cool you’re in a sign language class. :)

• Lindsey says:

Yeah, for sure! When I first saw it live, I was kind of put off by it also, but then thought that Dancing with the Stars is a TV show after all, and they do need to create drama haha. Thanks, Sign Language is really cool to learn! :)

• jr. says:

Yeah. And what a mistake to put him in that mask, where he was completely unrecognizable! I’m sure Nyle’s appearance alone, has got him MANY votes. Last night if you didn’t know he was in the mask, you might have thought he wasn’t in the show last nite. At least we had some rehearsal footage, without the makeup, which was much better than the actual routine. IMO

• gina says:

I think he was just joking.

• The Kaibosh says:

I agree. The ego should be checked at the door: and that goes both ways because it was clear from the judges that they didn’t care for his comments and punished him for it. His dance was not as flawed as they made it out to be and he shouldn’t have been scored as low as he was. Very unprofessional. On everyone’s part.

• Agreed – the judges definitely punished him. I thought it was just a bad joke but it kept going. Peeta needs to reign that in cuz it will cost them votes. The dance was solid BUT he did lose synch with her in a few spots and I am guessing that has to do with the mask. If he can’t see, he can’t match.

• Bonbon says:

Agree. Thinking he is as good as Val, really?

• Zeph says:

Personally, I was stunned by everyone apparently overreacting to what was clearly a joke. Even Val got it, which is why he gave Nyle a 10. But of course it is reality TV and controversy is a must……

• Thea says:

Finally someone else who got it! It was definitely intended to be a joke, as Val had also mentioned Nyle in his and Ginger’s package.

• Deborah Pelletier says:

Doug Flute danced like he was invited so he could be eliminated … handsome, likeable guy, but no better at dancing than I am … and I’m not.
        It seems pretty clear that Nyle and Val have become friends and have a private joke going on; they probably should keep it out of their comments, since at least one judge doesn’t get it.

• Deborah Pelletier says:

Doug Flutie danced like he was invited so he could be eliminated … handsome, likeable guy, but no better at dancing than I am … and I’m not.

• renamiller2 says:

Let’s take a look at this. Peta is engaged to Max, hence Vals brother. Automatic COMPETITION!! Now with that said, Nyle was anbushed by the judges (SADLY) because he nailed that dance! It was a comment folks, lol a comment. Let’s get real, who deserved the highest score??? NYLE!

2. Karen says:

First off…yes, the right couple went home. I’m a New Englander, and I like Doug Flutie, but he was due to go home.

Regarding egos….there definitely were three rather large egos….Nyle, Kim, and I think Jody too. Yes, please feel that you are good and could win, but maybe just keep that in your head. No need to put it out there and look arrogant.

3. James says:

Wow. What an egotistical dou*he Nyle turned out to be. Get a grip dude. You aren’t even that good. You have bad posture in hold, too hectic when out of hold, and are always wobbly coming out of turns and certain steps. You are NO Wanya. Heck, you aren’t even the 2nd best dancer still around. I was so glad Len called him out on those remarks. Len looked genuinely disgusted, as was I. Nyle isn’t proving to me that deaf people can do anything (I already knew that). He is instead proving people with disabilities can be just as big a jerk as anyone else.

• Carol Bell says:

Yeah, Nyle was a bit over the top with his remark. And Len knocked him down for that and rightly so. Nyle is a great guy and has accomplished a lot here on DWTS and in modeling, but he needs to chill a bit. That dance was too chaotic and not very polished.

• Mahargni says:

I completely disagree, though I see most people in the comments think Nyle was being cocky. While watching, my boyfriend and I laughed because to us it was clear that Nyle was joking – obviously he’s not as good as Val, but for me, Nyle is a front runner (along with Wanya and Paige) and is doing a wonderful job. I thought Len’s comment about him being annoying was rude – and quite frankly, Len’s negative attitude ALL the time is getting old for me.

4. Cherry says:

We have to remember that DWTS is also a reality show.. So they have to produce some type of drama to raise the tension and to also keep the viewers interested. I definitely didn’t think Nyle’s comments were mean spirited at all. I was taken aback when Len mentioned it during his critique, because I just thought it was a playful joke. But of course the producers need to have a bad guy of the season, so they take advantage of Nyle’s comment that he made, and twisted it into a bigger ordeal. It irritates me, because they did the exact same thing with Tamar last season. They made her seem irrational and hard to work with just because she spoke her mind and wasn’t going to play up the camera.

• Mick says:

I agree Cherry. I really think Nyle meant that comment about Val as a joke but it has to be hard to communicate the tone of that through sign language. He did have a big grin on his face when he said it. Either way I think it was blown out of proportion by Len’s comments and no doubt Nyle will pay the price in fewer viewer votes.

• Louise says:

I too agree. I don’t think he meant it the way it came out and Len being the
        jerk he is did not have to pass the comment he did. Nyle is doing well with
        Peta and last week they gave him and Sharna 10’s with comments to the
        highest quality. This week he was shot down. I think Len has to get a
        hearing aid because again Nyle said the one I have to worry about is Val and
        you saw when they gave the scores, Val put his 10 fingers up. Come on Judges,
        get a grip and get with the times.

• This viewer didn’t fall for it. I just gave my 9 votes to Nyle.

• Deborah Pelletier says:

I think it’s difficult for any deaf person to deal with the subtleties of the spoken word. I think his dancing is amazing in spite of the challenge of having no hearing at all … he would be a contender even if he could hear the music.

• renamiller2 says:

Applaud!! :-)

• renamiller2 says:

I personnally think Len needs three 1 paddles voted off. I think it was an unnecessary slashing from Len concerning Nyles comment . Lens a judge ABOUT THE DANCE, not about a silly comment caught on cameras. Even Carrie Ann went off track, I was shocked!! Nyle is caughtup in a trio … PETA, MAX, VAL.. Its a competition, think about it. I hope people continue to VOTE for NYLE, Peta and Nyle nailed that dance and should have scored much higher!

5. Anthony Matz says:

The right couple went home. I thought Doug should have gone home 3 weeks ago. The judges propped him up with their scores.

6. Beverly King says:

Why did Yahoo put someone’s else’s photo on this article instead of photos of the couple who actually was eliminated???? Geez……

• Zeph says:

I’m guessing you’ve never read one of these before. They always use a photo of a different couple to avoid spoiling the results for those who may not have had a chance to watch the show yet. After all, a lot of people record it on the actual night and may not watch it for a day or so, but if they’re scanning sites like this for other reasons, the last thing they want is to see a big headline and a photo of the eliminated couple when they can’t avoid it….. So it’s simple courtesy to avoid spoilers.

7. Yoko says:

Nyle was joking….ever heard of the term lost in translation….and he thinks Val is his competition good for him..have a goal and try to achieve it. Val gave him at 10, I’m sure he wasn’t upset so why are the commenters. I’m pulling for Ginger, Paige, Wanya and Nyle.

8. delores says:

Unless he improves 110% next week, I think Von Miller should go home next. He has only had one good dance for me, because I think he is too stiff

9. I don’t believe they should have been eliminated

10. If Doug and Karina hadn’t been the ones to go my husband and I would have stopped watching. Sorry but Doug is not a good dancer. JMO

11. Deborah Pelletier says:

12. CrazyforBallroom says:

As Jodi said last week “I came out to dance”. So, why don’t we see more real dancing; waltz, rhumba, foxtrot, chacha,samba. Ditch the lifts (just causes pseudo-drama) and put on show that inspires the viewing audience to get off their butts and try dancing with their partners.

13. jrkloecker says:

I LOVE Nyle, the judges scores were a deliberate ambush over a silly comment he made regarding Val. I personally find it funny that he dances with Peta who is engaged to Max , hence has a brother Val….could it just be he looks up to the trio of dancers and Val is a competitor against Peta? NYLE &PETA nailed that dance!!!!!! LETS GET REAL PEOPLE!!!!

14. gina says:

I thought he was just joking

15. gina says:

My top three (3)? Wanyá Morris and pro Lindsay Arnold (I want them to win so badly ehehhehe :), Paige and Nyles.

16. Elvira says:

I think Doug Flutie is a great man , but his dancing wasn’t that good. It was time for him and Karina to go. I loved Mark and Paiges dance, Awesome!!!! Mark is so creative in his routines. I like Ginger Zee she’s a good dancer. Nyle is gorgeous and enchanting. Nyle and Peta have great chemistry. This seasons celebrity cast is great!!!!