Doctor Who Season 10: Pearl Mackie Named New Companion — Watch Video

Doctor Who fans, the suspense is over: The new companion has been unmasked!

BBC One announced Saturday that up-and-coming British thesp Pearl Mackie is joining the Season 10 cast as “Bill,” Peter Capaldi new onscreen sidekick. She succeeds Jenna Coleman, whose Clara Oswald made her final appearance in the Season 9 finale (last seen fleeing via Tardis with Game of Thrones‘ Maisie Williams.)

Mackie, who is currently starring in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time in London’s West End, said in a Doctor Wholengthy statement: “I’m incredibly excited to be joining the Doctor Who family. It’s such an extraordinary British institution, I couldn’t be prouder to call the TARDIS my home! Peter Capaldi is such a brilliant actor, and his Doctor is such a wacky and wonderful character, I can’t wait to see what adventures are in store for him and Bill throughout time and space.

“Reading the script at the audition I thought Bill was wicked,” she continued. “Fantastically written, cool, strong, sharp, a little bit vulnerable with a bit of geekiness thrown in — I can’t wait to bring her to life, and to see how she develops through the series.”

CgvoZAiWkAAVUhuMackie’s inaugural Doctor Who season will be exec producer Steven Moffat’s last. The auteur announced in January that he would step down as showrunner after Season 10, replaced by Broadchurch scribe Chris Chibnall.

“A new face in the TARDIS, a new voyage about to begin: welcome aboard the amazing Pearl Mackie,” Moffat gushed in a statement. “This is where the story really starts.”

Doctor Who Season 10 will bow in 2017.

1. Shaun says:

Is she a hallucination,she keeps dissapearing!!!Also how cheap do those lasers look?

2. Roger Buchana says:

I was for sure they were gonna go with Rhakee Thakrar. She seems cool. Amy and Clara will forever hold a special place in my heart. Bill does seem very weird to me for a woman’s name. I only know of Billie Jean King.

Sucks for the long wait.

3. Phillip says:

No. Just. No.

4. Sheldon W. says:

She’s no Clara – but it looks like she’ll be a pretty fine Bill!

5. Marco says:

So, another pretty young girl with an unlikable personality? I hope I don’t have to like her just because she’s black. I think a male companion would be better (at least it would add a new dynamic… this show’s getting pretty stale!), but let’s hope she gets better… though I doubt it.

• ? says:

Pretty? I think she’s the least pretty companion any of the Doctors have had. Even Catherine Tate was prettier. So that plus whatever it is she’s wearing, and I think this casting might be a little more different from the standard formula than you’re giving it credit for.

• Catherine Tate, although by far the best companion of the new series (I feel no one will ever be Donna), was ANYTHING but pretty. This girl is about 100 times prettier than she is. Also prettier than Freema Agyema. And if you look really closely at the teeth, Billie Piper’s teeth sre so crooked they make me shrug. Jenna Coleman and Karen Gillian were the only ones who were absolutely pretty imo, and that doesn’t make a difference, because Amy is my less favorite companion! So, yeah!

• John says:

You don’t have to like her, no, but her skin colour shouldn’t be a factor. Not if you’re a fan of a show like Doctor Who, Marco.

• Marco says:

Had too many people saying ‘If you don’t like this character or that (for any reason), you’re racist/sexist/homotransphobic’ to truly believe I’m allowed to have actual reasons to dislike a character who isn’t the typical SWM.

• Peter has said he didnt really want a male companion. Im guessing because the male they would give more physical stuff to and less to Peter. They may add a guy who is a friend later though. Hasnt the companion usually been a woman

• Marco says:

In the older series they mixed it up. This new Who, however, it’s been pretty much dullsville, especially since Amy Pond (which she should’ve found and DROWNED in… not a fan of hers), because seriously, can we give it up with pretty female companions? It’s getting creepy and boring!

• Murica! says:

Pretty? Are you having a laugh?

• tvjunkie says:

pretty? LOL. Nope. She’s merely average looking.

6. Ian says:

#Underwhelmed. I don’t need to return to DW for the foreseeable. Which is fine, because I have enough shows to watch.

7. Im looking forward to her is it Christmas yet.

8. Josh says:

Is she from the 80’s(judging by the jacket and the shirt?)…I mean, it kind of looks denim? That would be cool if she isn’t from modern times. A nice twist.

9. kirads09 says:

As long as Capaldi keeps bringing it 100% and is the Dr. I love the show and have no issues with this choice of companion.

10. Saran Gebir says:

[DELETED]

11. SImone says:

Season 10: Battle Of The ‘Fro’s

It’s gonna be a HAIR-y Season ;)

Pearl seems fun. Loved Bill making fun of the Daleks. Now, it’s just a long wait to see if Bill is a companion for the ages :D

12. Tom says:

Yeah, not really impressed. Another currentish (as current as the 80s can be, guessed based on wardrobe) human Briton. Yawn.

• Isobel says:

agree I’d hope they’d go for someone from history or an alien or a male companion. its always modern earth women and that’s getting rather tiring. The old series had Leela, Adric, Jamie, Romana etc.

13. A3rynSun76 says:

I find these quick judgements rather silly. It takes more than a two minute video to decide if a companion is good. Man it took me most of Capaldi’s first season to see him as the doctor. Now I think he’s fantastic. If you’re really a fan, you’ll give her a chance. Personally I am excited to meet her.

• kirads09 says:

THIS X 1,000,000

• M says:

I think Capaldi is a great Doctor, my only issue with his run has been things like the sonic sunglasses or the Rock and roll grandpa look he was going for last season. The sonic screwdriver is more than just an icon, it’s symbolic of the doctors philosophy. He doesn’t need weapons, just a screwdriver, because all a screwdriver does is fix things. And the doctors fashion has always been “geek chique” (bow ties are cool, fez’s, suits with sneakers, impossibly long scarves, etc. and yes ecclestons leather jacket even bugged me)

14. APFW says:

2017 seems too far away! I cannot wait to see the new dynamic between the new companion and the Doctor. I like her snark.

15. Oscar the Oddity says:

I was hoping for a companion either from 100-200 years in the past from present day, to 100-200+ years in the future. Since we don’t know her backstory, I’m hoping that my wish will come through and we’ll have an interesting dynamic. Imagine a companion that thinks traffic lights and coffee machines are as magical as the sonic.

Either way, I just want for this companion to have her own stories and not have to rehash bits from the other companions. It’d also be kind of cool for her to be the Anti-Clara, as in her personality is completely different. We’ll see.

16. Luis says:

I love how people can judge based on a two minute promo video. Glad to see the BBC continuing to introduce diversity to the “DW” universe. Best of all . . . the Doctor said “back to the future!!!!”

• Murica! says:

Doctor Who needed diversity? You didn’t like the other companions because they were white? How racist! You should be ashamed!

• Oscar the Oddity says:

The OP made no racist comments. It’s okay to appreciate/encourage diversity – that doesn’t mean white people are unwanted or unnecessary in any way.
        Just curious: how do you feel about white people that are LGBT? Are they good enough to represent the “white populace,” or should that be left to heteronormative cisgender males?

17. Viv says:

Wow! She’s like a young Carol Burnett mixed with a young Alex Kingston. Big, wild hair. Talks fast with a big, goofy, smirky grin. Hmmm… She’s funny. I like her. Alright, Stephan, what are you up to?

18. Hannah says:

She seems…like every single modern companion since Rose, apart from Donna and possibly Martha. Maybe she’ll grow into something more unique or just enjoyable later on..?

19. Mary S says:

I hate this long wait!! I had never seen Dr. Who until the first Christmas special with Christopher Eggleston, and I was hooked! It kills me that we only get a very few episodes, once every 10 or 12 months…
    I know that British television does not “do” long seasons, but to make us wait a year to get maybe 8 or 10 episodes (or fewer!) is torture!!
    I don’t know why there is such a long hiatus, but, couldn’t it PLEASE be shortened? And, yes, I know there many special effects that may take longer to produce than some other shows, but other shows manage to give us seasons of 18-22 episodes, split between two half-seasons about 6-8 weeks apart…which is also almost too long.
    When I was young, a television series lasted from September through May on a weekly basis. There were no special effects required, just excellent (or at least entertaining) writing, performed by actors we liked and believed.
    I know that times have changed, but only seeing 8-10 episodes (or less!) every year is cruel and unusual punishment…I don’t know how the U.K. can put up with it! Maybe, as an American I am just spoiled, but 4 episodes a year (Inspectors Frost and Morse!) is worse than any diet I have ever been on, in my life!!

20. peterwdawson says:

Definitely got the expressions needed to play a companion methinks.

21. David4 says:

Wow… a modern day London woman….. That’s so different!

22. Raven says:

Well that seals it…I done came with Dr. Who

23. Oh my god I love her already, just from this clip,lol! With that big hair, she reminds me of River Song,lol! Even the way she acted reminded me a little of her, all excited and stuff,lol! She looks like she could be funny to watch with the Doctor! I just wish we didn’t have to wait so long to see any new episodes, it wasn’t that long for the other seasons before!

24. kam says:

Too long to wait.. 2017, what about this year.. Kids will be distraught… Peter cappeldi not best doctor.. Should bring back donna noble.. She was class.

25. ecksmc says:

True whovian would give her at least a few episodes before negative feedback, also what has race got to do with anything? I don’t get people who watch Dr who and all they do is come online and complain and compare Dr’s or companies Dr who is great because it can change it’s lead characters that’s the beauty of it

26. Sue Davey says:

Lets hope they both get exterminated….sorry but not good…bring on a new doctor that is cool and makes it interesting .Dr who has been like visiting an old persons home since Matt Smith left.

27. Erin says:

I wasn’t a huge Clara fan, so I’m super excited for Bill! While it is a bit of a shame they didn’t do something brave like pick a period companion or a male (or an alien or a robot…) I still think it’ll be fun to get to know her.

28. David4 says:

Everyone is judging her by how she looks, she is a female, that’s all we really know.

If she is another smart— female from modern London then wake me up when they finally change the format up a little.

29. Trevor says:

she’s pretty

30. Michael Biggun says:

Here we go – a black companion just for the sake of having a black companion. No more Doctor Who for me.

31. Getting an Ace/Donna vibe off her – a ‘pushy’ character like this can be great or annoying depending on how well the writers handle her and the Doctor sparring.

32. Sarah says:

This clip seems really flat. At first I thought maybe the actress just wasn’t resonating with me, but then I realized it’s the music, or rather the lack there of. It has the laser sound effects and the actors voices but it needs music to tie it all together. I really hope this isn’t the final version that airs and they add music.

33. M says:

I have read multiple comments along the lines of “why is she called Bill?” My guess, she doesn’t like her first name, and has a last name like Billings. As for her character and how she’ll fit with the Doctor, she’ll most likely annoy him with constant questioning, but annoy him even more by asking the right questions amid many nonessential questions.

34. Atomsk says:

“Mackie, who is currently starring in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time in London’s West End”

Hey I read that years ago, I never knew it was a play

35. Mark says:

I *do not* like Capaldi or his foul mouth.

36. morete says:

The BBC really needs to put Doctor Who back on a ten year hiatus until they can figure out how to plug the holes in their leaky boat before it sinks completely. Moffat, Capaldi and Mackie should have never been brought aboard in the first place. Doctor Who needs to get back to its roots, and back to the reason why it was created the way it was in the first place. Find better writers, producers, directors, actors — as you have in the past, and generously reward them for it.