Music Icon Prince Dead at 57

Music icon Prince, who won multiple Grammy awards as well as an Oscar during his storied four-decade career, has died. He was 57.

According to TMZ, which first broke the news, Prince’s body was discovered at his Paisley Park compound in Minnesota early Thursday.

The Minneapolis native broke through to mainstream success in 1979 with the release of his self-titled sophomore album, which yielded hits like “Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?” and “I Wanna Be Your Lover.” Over the next two decades, he continued to top the charts with tunes both funky and sexual, including “1999,” “When Doves Cry,” “Kiss” and “U Got the Look,” while also writing and producing for artists including Madonna, the Bangles, Apollonia and Sheena Easton.

Prince expanded his résumé by starring in the 1984 big-screen drama Purple Rain — the soundtrack to which has sold 22 million copies worldwide — as well as Under the Cherry Moon and Graffiti Bridge. Among his TV highlights: Dozens of music videos that helped revolutionize the MTV era; a headlining gig at the 2007 Super Bowl halftime show; and a hilarious guest spot (as himself) in a 2014 episode of Fox’s New Girl. He also was a three-time SNL musical guest.

New Girl creator Liz Meriwether and star Jake Johnson tweeted their tributes to the musician shortly after news broke of his passing.

A seven-time Grammy winner who also picked up an Academy Award (for Purple Rain‘s Best Original Song Score) and a Golden Globe (for Happy Feet‘s “The Song of the Heart”), Prince’s career was not without controversy. The graphic sexual nature of his track “Darling Nikki” was among the reasons Tipper Gore launched the Parents Music Resource Center (and its Parental Advisory stickers on albums). In 1993, he changed his name to an unpronouncable ankh-like symbol, and his prolonged, contentious battle with the Warner Bros. record label led him to publicly appear with the word “slave” written on his face.

Check out videos of Prince’s Super Bowl performance and New Girl appearance below, then share your own memories of the music legend in the comments.

1. Whatevah says:

2016! It’s only April & look at all of the icons we’ve lost. RIP..

2. Jackie says:

Omg…

• Delirious says:

That’s one of the only things I can say/think right now… Together with “nope” and a couple expletives.

RIP, you genius.

3. Lisa says:

Shock ……. my jaw dropped

4. Lola says:

Horrible horrible week. Doris, Chynna, and now Prince. He was truly a musical genius.

5. Jen Gossel says:

:( 2016 u suck first we lose David Bowie, then Alan Rickman and now u take Prince gosh :( this stinks

6. Funnibone31 says:

Jaw dropping…I can’t believe this

7. Carrie says:

I can’t believe this! One of my all-time favorites. He was so talented. May he rest in peace.

8. Squirrelly says:

Oh God…First David Bowie, now Prince?

The world, once again, had become a little less glam… :(

9. Will says:

Chyna wrestler, Prince… who’s next for the 3rd?

10. Andrea says:

Are we sure? CNN is only reporting a death at Prince’s recording studio and has not confirmed that it’s actually Prince.

11. shunda1177 says:

My week just officially got worse! I was effected by by the flooding in Houston now this! RIP Your Purple Majesty.

12. Linda Winston says:

So shocked to hear this news! My condolences to family and friends!

13. Phyllis moodie says:

OMG, I CAN’T BELEIVER IT…
    we are fading fast…
    FLU symptoms?
    OMG, RIP
    WE MISS YOU- PURPLE RAIN OF TEARS…..

14. Mary says:

2016 has not been the best year. I realize that these music icons are getting older but does it have to happen so close together. My condolences to his family and friends

15. lori says:

Shocking! Tough year in music. RIP

16. Debra says:

It’s said that he had the flu. Sounds to me that it must have been more than the flu. It’s possible it turned into pneumonia. People have died from that sickness. Sad no one picked up on what was actually wrong with him. We’ve lost way too many good artists within the last few months. RIP Prince

17. Kels says:

My heart is broken. He was truly a legend.

18. Kevin says:

Gone too soon…Rest In Peace Big Brutha

19. Cathy says:

I’m so thankful I had the chance to meet this talented artist back in the 70’s, while chaperoning Mclains Band as the performed in Prince’s home town, Minneapolis, Minnesota. The opportunity to had met him and his mother and sister, looking back that was a memory because the time I really didnt know he was a world renowned artist. Prince, you will truly be missed, your music will live forever

20. big cheddar says:

I am devastated. He played a few shows in my area recently, but I decided not to go because I figured I’d see him the next time he came through. He seemed like he was going to live and play music forever. RIP legend. I hope wherever he is, he’s with his son that passed away.

21. Judiwb says:

I have no words. RIP – Prince!!!! You brought the world so much joy. Your music will live on.

22. Brigid says:

A talented musician and a legend in the music industry. His talents will live on forever. RIP Prince

23. Matt Ceccato says:

His episode of “Muppets Tonight” was one of the best. R.I.P., Your Royal Badness.

24. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

25. “Prince cancelled a pair of concerts in Atlanta earlier this month, citing the flu. A week later, his private jet had to make an emergency landing in Moline Ill., when he fell ill.” illuminati that’s enough of your killing! Prince is a legend. May he rest in peace.

26. APFW says:

I am so shocked! I still have my 92 Love Sexy tour t-shirt! Another Music Legend has passed to soon; Maurice White, David Bowie, Whitney, Michael Jackson and now Prince!

27. AngelWasHere says:

Completely devastated right now. First Bowie, now Prince?! 2016 is killing my soul.

28. Amy Busch says:

I am so sad. :(. He was an amazing artist and performer. I feel blessed to have seen him in concert. I hope “New Girl” reruns his episode. It was amazing and hilarious.

29. Lerbert says:

I was young but Purple Rain was my first album–thanks Mom and Dad! I remember seeing the line outside of the movie when it first opened in our small conservative city and I remember how glamorous everyone looked as they stood there in outfits that had obviously been especially put together for the occasion. A true genius.

30. Tyanna says:

The realest to ever have done it

31. HAP says:

I had the pleasure of meeting Prince years ago at the First Avenue Nightclub while I was in Minneapolis on business.

32. Mary Kelly says:

We have lost a great performer, singer. I loved his music. RIP dear Prince..<3

33. Pigford says:

Back when Purple Rain came out Prince was the biggest musician in the world he even had MJ nervous…it’s a shame he went so suddenly definitely a one of a kind extremely talented dude…he will be missed

34. Murica! says:

A true legend!! RIP!

35. Laurie Sentineal says:

R.I.P
    PRINCE… your music have been such a big part of my life. Sending my deepest condolences to your family & friends..

36. Angela says:

The hell’s going on with all these deaths this year? Good lord.
    Way too young. So sad. Rest in peace, Prince.

37. Jonnythec says:

Never was a fan, he’s definitely no David Bowie.

38. It affected me more than I could have imagined. His music helped me through more than a few tough times growing up transgender. Its like I lost my childhood crutch

39. Hey Guys…Choose Your Favourite Movies and Watch it*
    The Jungle Book Full Movie
    COPY & PASTE THIS LINK IN NEW TAB ;
    IMDBSIGNUP.COM

ENJOY TO WATCH

40. Cheyenne says:

A phenomenon like Prince comes along once in several generations. We will be very lucky to see his like again in our lifetimes.

• Melody says:

Its sad because the current generation lacks icons like Prince and Bowie. I hope the industry wakes up and realizes its time for real music to rise again and not this manufactured garbage

41. dkleener says:

From all the tributes, he seemed like a very down to earth type of guy compared to some of today stars. I forgot how brilliant he was on that New Girl episode. R.I.P.

42. Melody says:

When I was 13 years old my father took me to see Prince and the Revolution at the Forum. It was the only thing I wanted. He got 3 tickets so I could bring my best friend along. My Dad rocked out with us. He said Prince reminded of all the musicians and bands he saw in the 60s and that I was lucky my generation had great music like his. This is a HUGE lost and considering how manufactured most music is…it will be years until we see another artist like this. I lost my Dad in September but I still have the concert tee and the program and a wonderful memory thanks to my Dad and Prince.

43. Delon says:

The curse of Judith Hill continues. She worked with Michael and then he died. She worked with Prince and then he died.