Krypton Series at Syfy

Krypton Prequel From David S. Goyer Nears Pilot Order at Syfy

UPDATE: Syfy has formally given Krypton a green light.

Superman’s grandpa is almost ready for his close up.

Syfy is thisclose to officially placing a pilot order for Krypton, a potential prequel series centered on The Man of Steel’s gramps, TVLine has learned.

Penned by David S. Goyer (Man of Steel) and Ian Goldberg (Once Upon a Time), Krypton is set two generations before the destruction of Superman’s home planet and follows Supe’s forefather — whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos.

Sleepy Hollow vet Damian Kindler is set as showrunner and will serve as an EP alongside Goyer.

Doctor Who/Sherlock helmer Colm McCarthy will direct the pilot.

1. Michelle says:

Almost everyone involved has ruined a show I like. That’s scary.

2. Azerty says:

Tom Welling! Since it is on Krypton there would still be the no flight no tight rule!

3. Jeff hunter says:

It’s about time we heard something on this looking forward to it that being said…..Greg Bertlani TITANS is in your Court!jeff

4. IRON WILL says:

This will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive toward! (to paraphrase Jor-El in ‘Man of Steel’)

5. TFD says:

Just no.
    Goyer is a hack, proven time & again.
    There’s a reason he’s no longer involved in the DC movies.
    And the less said about Blade 3 the better.

6. Gerald says:

Not sure if Syfy can do it justice. They’d need a decent budget. But it certainly has potential.

7. WayneAdneyC says:

Syfy doesn’t have the budget to go beyond the Stargate graphics or extravagance of Defiance. Even that being said the neg for airing on Syfy is the number of seasons. They cancel after 5 or 6 and they tend to prolong seasons with a part A or B because we all know after five seasons aging shows costs goes up when paying for actors to dish out lines. A nifty but dirty-handed trick that Syfy’s record has proven to use time and again though more episodes per a season and more we actually feel like we get jiff on longevity and long-term franchise potential. Sorry but this would be better off on Starz, Showtime or HBO but without all the profanity and sex-upped, vulgar scenes those stations typically come with. I would be okay with a flashy, low-cost version on a non-cable/satellite station like FOX or CBS maybe even on Netflix.

8. V says:

Reserving final judgment, but Kevin J. Anderson probably did a better job at telling this story with his “The Last Days of Krypton”, even though the ending will have you throwing the book at the wall.

9. ktc1986 says:

Colour me intrigued but i’m put off by Goyer’s attachment.

10. Dennis says:

Smallville had a much better premise imho.

A show about aliens with no Clark Kent?
    Ehhh…

11. Answer Man says:

Dear “Sy Fy:” Please, go off the air already. Nobody is watching you or your shows anymore. It all started to go downhill when you went from Sci Fi to Sy Fy, that, and adding wrestling. Nothing against wrestling, but honestly what they heck does it have to do with science fiction (or do you prefer “syence fyction”). Your shows are boring and honestly you’ll just cancel anything good after a year or two anyway so why should I start with a new show now? “Gotham” by the way was a dumb concept to begin with, still not understanding why anyone would watch a show about Batman WITHOUT BATMAN. Now you think doing the same thing on Krypton is going to work? Good luck with that. Oh, and you’re still all idiots for cancelling Farscape. Frakk you.

• Dennis says:

Agree with everything you said except Gotham.
      Gotham is actually a really, really good show, give it a chance!

Miss Farscape :/

• Answer Man says:

I just canna’ do it captain! Seriously though, never got into Gotham and my wife finally gave up and stopped watching it (and she’ll watch almost anything). Just not for me, prefer seeing the caped crusader all grown up.

12. Mis Irie says:

One word: Caprica

• Jen says:

Yeah, was just going to say the BSG prequel worked out so well.

• Answer Man says:

Blood and Chrome? Caprica never did it for me, just wasn’t what I expected. But the prospect of seeing the first Cylon/Human war (as far as we know) sounded exciting. When I heard B&C wasn’t going forward as a series I never even bothered to watch the pilot. Why get my hopes up again. As the War Doctor once said “NO MORE!”

13. I’ll check it out. Just don’t get attached because Syfy will just cancel it after 3 or 4 seasons. It’s what they do

• Answer Man says:

3 or 4? Shows on FySy (fake Sci Fi, that’s what I’m calling it from now on) are lucky to get 1 year, let alone 2. 3 or 4 seasons would really be Science Fiction on FySy!

14. David4 says:

So it’s Caprica but instead of Cylons blowing the planet up it’s whatever. But it sounds exactly the same.

15. Dr. M says:

I just threw up in my mouth.

16. Mary says:

Not sure why they’d go with Superman and Supergirl’s grandfather and not their parents. At least most people are familiar with Jor’El, Lara, Zor’El, and Alura, and have it either as a limited run series or mini-series. As a limited series they could focus on Brainiac and Kandor, dealing with Zod and his followers, and the years, months or days leading up to the destruction of Krypton, covering how the Kryptonians might have tried to stop it from happening, figuring out where to send Kal and Kara, and ending with them sending the Kal and Kara to Earth.

17. ? says:

I honestly cannot see a compelling show in this premise.

18. So this to me seems a recipe for disaster. David Goyer is the guy that gave us the most unlikeable Superman of all time, by far. In fact, he gave us the ONLY unlikeable Superman. If he is as clueless here as he is with Man of Steel, that’s not a good sign that he was brought on board.

And telling the story of Superman’s grandfather, where no one would have any powers? Isn’t this going to then be just a story about an environmentalist complaining about misuse of resources?

Incidentally, Krypton’s destruction was never meant to be like that–it was just a natural occurrence–not the fault of the society on the planet.

But even so, why would anyone be interested in: Superman’s Grandpa–Environmentalist.

What’s next? Thomas Wayne MD? The story of a young doctor from a wealthy family as he pursues his love interest Martha?

19. Ian Barber says:

I’m a big DC fan – enjoy most of the tv shows and the movies too, but I really don’t understand how Goyer keeps getting work. I am most definitely not a fan of his, though I give him props for Constantine. This just doesn’t sound that great to me at all.

20. Robert Dassler says:

All the other DC TV shows suck. Will this suck as well? Probably.