Idris Elba to Headline 6-Episode Showtime Drama Series Guerrilla, From American Crime EP John Ridley

Ladies and gents, I believe we have a frontrunner for the 2017 limited-series Emmy.

Showtime on Wednesday announced that it has given a green light to Guerrilla, a six-episode drama written and directed by American Crime auteur John Ridley and starring Luther‘s Idris Elba.

Guerrilla is being billed as “a love story set against the backdrop of one of the most politically explosive times in U.K. history. It tells the story of a politically active couple whose relationship and values are tested when they liberate a political prisoner and form a radical underground cell in 1970s London. Their ultimate target becomes the Black Power Desk, a true-life, secretive counter-intelligence unit within Special Branch dedicated to crushing all forms of black activism.”

Per the cabler, Ridley will write the majority of the episodes and direct the first two.

“It’s been a long time desire of mine to collaborate with Mr. Ridley and his work here is nothing short of a masterclass in character building and story-telling,” said Elba in a statement. “TV is in for a treat.”

Added Ridley: “I am both humbled by and impressed with Idris’ passion toward bringing this story to life. I share his commitment for populating the culture with driven and complicated people of color.”

1. Phoenix5634 says:

Interesting. He was in Continuum, right? That was a good show.

• Kim Mtg says:

I think you mean Roger Cross. But you definitely should know who Idris Elba is.

• DL says:

Elba is best known for his work on BBC’s Luther, as the title character. But he’s also been in everything from Thor to Prometheus, and recently received acclaim for Beasts of No Nation. He’s a fantastically talented actor.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Yeah your right, thank you, my bad. I haven’t seen Continuum in awhile cuz the network sidelined it. But yeah now that I looked it up, I have seen him in a lot of movies, he’s a great actor. If anything knowing who he is now, actually raises my interest in the show, cuz he is a very talented actor.

• jazzyt2u says:

In the States he’s best known for his work in The Wire…Though I liked Luther a lot. Loved me some Stringer Bell…

2. Luis says:

Idris Elba and John Ridley? That’s a couple of fierce black men right there! Already looking forward to it.

3. Hedy S. says:

This sounds like some crap. I want more Luther! And he was excellent in The Wire and Reaping.

4. JScout says:

Probably best known for The Wire. What a terrific and complicated bad guy in that series. Luther was really good, too. I’ll watch anything with Elba, and this sounds like it will be really good.

5. HAP says:

Idris Elba’s role in Beasts of No Nation was stunning, and he should have won an academy award for his performance. I believe that the academy was simply dissing Netflix.