The Voice results

The Voice Top 12 Results Recap: Did the Right Singer Get the Boot?

“Put me out of my misery!” begged Gwen Stefani, over and over again, as she opened The Voice Top 12 results telecast with a performance of her new single.

The sometimes No Doubt frontwoman didn’t need any musical euthanasia, though, as she actually sounded great — at least to my ears — on a ditty that’s eventually going to make it into my iTunes library (no matter how hard I try to resist buying it).

The true agony and teeth-gnashing happened, alas, every time host Carson Daly attempted to drag out a 60-second announcement across a 60-minute telecast by asking a deeply generic question (“Describe your coach/artist relationship” or “What’s the best advice your coach has given you?”) guaranteed to yield an answer less spicy than an unseasoned parsnip mash.

While we’re on the subject of things that are hard to swallow… how did the artists who ranked third and seventh (out of 12) in the Top 12 iTunes sales rankings wind up as this week’s Bottom 2? Is the volume of Blake Shelton’s wit and homespun wisdom so loud that no one could hear Paxton Ingram completely fall to pieces on “Hands to Myself” Monday night? I mean, dude was the only Voice contestant who failed to crack the iTunes Hot 100 on Monday, and yet… he’s safe?

I cahhhhn’t with it. And yet, seeing how The Voice is the only reality singing game in town, I suppose I must with it. Let’s get to the results, shall we?

Sent to Safety (in Chronological Order)
Adam Wakefield (Team Blake)
Alisan Porter (Team Xtina)
Bryan Bautista (Team Xtina)
Daniel Passino (Team Pharrell)
Shalyah Fearing (Team Adam)
Paxton Ingram (Team Blake)
Laith Al-Saadi (Team Adam)
Hannah Huston (Team Pharrell)
Nick Hagelin (Team Xtina)
Mary Sarah (Team Blake)

Bottom Two/”Save Me” Performances
Emily Keener (Team Pharrell) — “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain” | Grade: B+
Owen Danoff (Team Adam) — “Lego House” | Grade: C+

Neither contestant really deserved to get eliminated this early in the competition, but based on their Monday-Tuesday one-two punches, Emily was the clear choice to advance, leading me to a Twitter outburst.

Alas, though, Owen’s closing “Save Me” slot — and Adam’s infinitely more passionate plea to America — sealed the deal.

SAVED BY AMERICA
Owen

ELIMINATED
Emily

SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO REPLACE PAXTON
Joe Maye

Whoops, did I type that last one out loud?!

On that note, your turn. Were you shocked by The Voice Top 12 results? If so, who should’ve been sent to the guillotine? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. kcostell says:

Shocking results. Worthy of a special #RealityCheck next week to discuss them.

• Oscarpig says:

Totally agree. Something is definitely wrong

• Blarney says:

Seems like there is the same problem as Idol had, girls have to be way,way better than the boys in order to survive. Oh well, whoever is counting the votes and I-tunes downloads needs to be investigated by the Reality Show Police.

• Greta says:

Why is everyone acting like it’s shocking that Emily and Owen were the bottom 2?
          Have you forgotten that neither of them were voted into the Top 12 by America?
          They had to be saved by their coaches!

• Gailer says:

Good point! Does anyone know if any saved singers went far?

• daynamonet says:

@Gailer
            Will Champlin, koryn Hawthorne, Emily Ann Robert’s, chris jamison all coach saves all made it to the finals. That’s all I can think of, but yeah they can make it far and they have, they never win though

• Alex Polin says:

They ranked very high on the iTunes top 100 list. Emily was third of all the contestants this week (27th overall) while Owen was middle of the pack (mid-40s overall). Usually the iTunes top 100 is a pretty good indicator of how the overall vote goes too. This time, it wasn’t.

• Lee says:

@Alex: Isn’t it interesting though that both Emily and Owen are indie singers. Maybe they split votes. Or America just doesn’t care for their type of music on the big stage. Personally, I never cared for the song 7 Years and Owen sure didn’t change my mind on it. And Emily’s performances are all beginning to blur together. But I did think Paxton should’ve gone home. Anyway, I bet Adam regrets sending Ryan home and Blake regrets not picking Joe.

• Judy says:

Gailer, Craig Wayne Boyd, season 7 winner, was saved 2 or three times by the coaches and won…

• Sally says:

I think it is wrong that Emily and Owen were even in the bottom since they were four chair turns and superior singers to the others who charted beneath them on I tunes. It was a travesty that Emily with her beautiful voice went home and the screamers and untalented singers remained. I do think that the Voice producers/record company executives promote certain artists, giving them prime spots and changing the rules to benefit them like when they changed the rule to allow the instant save when Christina Grimme didn’t make the top three when they had announced there would be no instant save in the semi-finals. I don’t think the votes are rigged because the Voice Executives were unhappy when Jermaine Paul won over Tony Lucca and Juliette Simms, when Josh Kaufman beat Christine Grimme and Craig Wayne Boyd won over Matt McAndrew. Paul, Kaufman and Boyd, all in their mid 30s, were all dropped from their contracts before they could make an album. Christine Grimme was on the Voice last season as a commentator and this season Matt McAndrew is a commentator on a Voice show on Amazon so that shows The Voice favor certain contestants. I do think the Voice is pushing Alisan Porter to win like they did Sawyer and Jordan by giving her prime spots and she may be getting votes because of her celebrity status rather than her voice. Porter got more publicity than the other contestants because she is well known as a child movie star for her role as Curly Sue in the movie of the same name and she has a touching story about addiction. She also has more followers than the other contestants because she writes a mommy’s blog and has sang onstage alongside Adam Lambert and Val Kilmer.

• davmon says:

Well, I had Emily & Owen at 7th & 8th—and Mary Sarah a close 9th….But IMO, Paxton, Daniel, & Nick were a distant Bottom 3. [I see that Michael and I agree on the worst 4.] No way I expected Emily & Owen to be facing off tonight. Yeah, she is quirky; and he does not have a great voice. But neither went off the rails Monday Night like Daniel, Nick & Paxton….What gives? Did the Blake Factor save Pax as well as MS? Best back story saved Nick? Daniel has what—model good looks?…Beats me. Well Emily, the great Mia Z bowed out at this point in Season 8; and she too was a quirky female on Team Pharrell–who was terrific!

• scott says:

Hey good point. I definitely see the parallel with Mia Z. Artistically mature beyond there years.

• Lizzie says:

Mia Z – wasn’t she that horrible dolphin pitched scream noise?

• davmon says:

Well, you make the clear case for why Mia’s unique genius could not survive mainstream voting. For a girl 15-16yo to be jazz-phrasing the blues to deftly was astonishing!…But America’s mainstream would be no more likely to comprehend it than the wisdom of Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount in his native Aramaic OR using wasabi & ginger seasoning on sushi OR, for that matter, deciphering any differintiation in dolphin echolocation. As for me, Mia does dolphin better than any human I know, but I can’t say if her Aramaic or wasabi sauce is any good.

• The Beach says:

WTF happened??

• OhMy says:

One thing — if Michael thought Gwen Stefani sounded good, that might explains some e things.

2. Jaszy says:

No, the right singer did not leave. And based off of those save me performances, Emily definitely did not deserve to go home. Yes, she was consistently sharp throughout the performance, but it was still more pleasant to hear than Owen’s sloppy rendition of his song.
    Looks like a guy’s going to win again…booo….

3. Angie_Overrated says:

Now I feel vindicated for thinking Emily was dead last last night in terms of her performance. I get that music is subjective, but that performance was about as close to objectively awful as music gets.

• davmon says:

I did not think her Top 6; but she had an interesting sound. Whereas, Owen & Mary Sarah have pedestrian voices and Paxton-Daniel-Nick were just awful Monday!

• mike says:

Emily has such a beautiful voice she reminds me of the great amy Lee America got it all wrong

• Barry Fritchman says:

Yes…it certainly IS subjective.Otherwise, there’s just no fathoming how you could actually believe that Emily’s ‘Lilac Wine’ would be dead last. You go ahead and tell Xtina that her ‘magical’ assessment and all FOUR coaches on their feet was something in the Kool-Aid.

• Angie_Overrated says:

All four coaches on their feet doesn’t change the fact that I hated it, and apparently America hated it too because she got eliminated.

• John Baldino says:

By America realize you are talking about mostly 14 year old girls,if you didn’t recognize the talent in both those kids your missing something(like musical knowledge) both of them charted well above Paxton (who didn’t chart) Paxton is a nice kid who is a great dancer with a very limited voice at this stage of his life.the young guy who shaved his head also is less talented musically then either of these two . The judges hands are tied which is a drag. I think AP won this season in the blinds,Adam is right there now, Adam may win based on who votes (14 year old girls) but it wont mean he is more talented then AP,just more popular with 14 year old girls.!!!!

• Angie_Overrated says:

14 year old girls? You clearly don’t understand who the demo is for this show.

• bobsaccamanna says:

America didn’t hate it, it was the 3rd on Itunes out of the 12, so the people who could voice their opinion with money and one vote liked it. We get it, you don’t like the Emily’s of the world and never have but don’t pat yourself on the back and claim vindication, the voting system is flawed and always has been. I would trust the Christina knows a little something about what constitutes a good vocal, and her praise of Emily’s Lilac Wine performance did not seem disingenuous or phony, she was obviously truly impressed. Does she have flaws?…absolutely, but hers was the only interesting musical POV left on the show, and The Voice never has nurtured or pimped a singer with Emily’s style. There has been a truckload of very bad female singers on The Voice with Emily’s style no doubt, but Emily isn’t one of them.In her moments when she was nailing it, her voice was absolutely beautiful and with some coaching and experience, could have been around to the finals in what is an extremely weak field.

• gregwrite says:

It looks to me like each season there are fewer “ordinary” looking people. It’s like only the more attractive ones make it onto the show as compared to the contestants on the first three seasons.

• Meme says:

I didn’t think it was Emily’s best performance. There were virtually no dynamics afforded in that song, but still I was hoping that she would do something creative and soothing with the ending instead of that loud nail-biting screech. I think that one little thing could have made all the difference in her staying around.

• Justin says:

I would really take this person’s opinion with a grain of salt. Their response to Mary Sarah’s God awful performance of Rose Garden last week was that they were “rooting” for her. And she was pretty lousy again this week, too, which means she has sucked pretty much every week since her audition. Nick, Paxton, Daniel, MS and several others were clearly worse than Emily this week and deserved the boot over her.

• Angie_Overrated says:

That Justin’s opinion of me is negative is something that hurts me deeply. :o)

• Angie'sPersonalTroll says:

Gee, maybe it’s because of how you come off? When America doesn’t agree with you, it’s cause they suck and don’t have your musical training. Now, the one time you’re in line with the voting, you act like it makes you some sort of genius. You come across as completely egotistical. You prove again you don’t understand tone. Emily wasn’t the best and wasn’t going to win, but there were many worse performances (and performers). I like Paxton, unlike Slezak, but his performance was bad Monday.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Oh, hi Jill! I’d wondered where you went. How are you?!

• Camille says:

The fact she defended Rose Garden says it all. That is the worst live show performance I have seen to date!

4. Jimmy says:

Honestly, once Paxton, Daniel, and Mary, and Nick made it I was preparing myself for the worst. Not really fair. Emily was becoming so good.

• davmon says:

Yeah, Paxton sang a dreadful song; and. Mary has limited dynamics which seem bland on some songs….But the real blunder is Daniel & Nick continuing. Both have decent mid-range pockets. But neither knows much about how to move up and down register in service of song. They get pitchy. They get a wild hair and go out of pocket into the flats. But what is criminal is their use of falsetto without a license; they seem to think it is ok to just attach a falsetto riff to whatever and whenever—and do not connect it to melody or intended emotional content. It’s dreadful. What tin-ear coaching!

• Angie'sPersonalTroll says:

Unfortunately, the radio has tons of songs on it now that feature inadvisable use of male falsetto. Just an echo chamber thing.

5. Jaszy says:

People think Alisan’s going to win! I actually think Adam’s going to win. I don’t want him to win. I don’t want any of the dudes to win! It’s time for a girl to win again!

• Ava Zinn says:

I believe this comment. It’s why I created “Vote for the Girls” six years ago.

• Jaszy says:

Well, girls don’t really like voting for other girls for some stupid reason. I’m the exception. This season was very Girl heavy during the knockouts, then they brought back 4 DUDES for the Comebacks. 2 of these dudes made it through to top 12. Some bad decisions were made last week in the voting. We only had 5 girls. Now, with Emily gone, it’s down to 4 girls. How the heck did it go from 12 girls to 8 guys + 4 more guys to 5 girls to 7 guys to 4 girls to still 7 guys. This season’s already disappointing me, majorly. They clearly must want another white dude to win.

• I’m another exception, trust. *weary sigh*

• Blarney says:

RE: on your comment — “Well, girls don’t really like voting for other girls for some stupid reason.”

I read an article on this during an Idol season that many girls near the same age groups as the contestant,, see a good looking girl on a talent show as “competition” and usually will vote for a guy instead regardless of whether they can carry a tune well..

• And yet in the early years Kelly, Fantasia, Carrie were able to win. What happened?
            It would seem to me that young women would vote for someone they see themselves in and want to root for that person? I mean, isn’t the majority of Kelly’s (devoted) audience) young women, or women who were the same age as her when she won and have followed her all along?

Or maybe that’s just my way of thinking….

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

Exactly. XTINA NEEDS a win, and a Girl has not won since my fave tessane won. ALISAN has the potential to be successful after the show, all her voice songs are charting similar to sawyers and Jordan’s

• Jaszy says:

I agree with you. However, I’m not talking about Christina! But this should not be about the coaches. That’s why I hate when they say something along the lines of, “Oh, I won last season so you should pick me to be your coach.” No, YOU didn’t win Adam! No, YOU didn’t win Blake! No, YOU didn’t win Pharrell! This should be about the contestants not the coaches.
        I want a female contestant to win. It’s definitely time for one.

• davmon says:

Yeah, I don’t like the coach/artist double-win scenario much. For example, Laith has been almost as good as anybody….Does anyone out there think Adam has done anything to HELP him?…More like, advance despite the misguided coaching….But if you wanna a girl to win—and its not about Xtina; then I think Shalyah and Hannah are as good, if not better than Alisan.

• Kbella says:

The thing about Laith is he’s already professional level. He doesn’t need Adam to tell him what to do. He knows exactly what to do. I love him!

• Sally says:

A soulful vocalist and powerful guitarist with a taste for blues, vintage R&B, jazz, and classic rock, Laith Al-Saadi was born in 1978 and raised in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Al-Saadi displayed his talents at a young age, learning to sing with the Boys’ Choir of Ann Arbor when he was four, and taking up the guitar at age 13. While Al-Saadi’s father only listened to Arabic classical music, his mother had much broader tastes, and after his folks split up, he began exploring the popular music of the ’60s and ’70s. As a student of Ann Arbor’s Community High School, he played in the school’s jazz band, and at 15 he joined a local blues band, Blue Vinyl. Blue Vinyl was successful enough to tour the Netherlands, and landed gigs opening for blues greats such as Buddy Guy, Son Seals, Luther Allison, and Taj Mahal. After completing high school, Al-Saadi studied music at the University of Michigan, and received a degree in Jazz Guitar and Bass. After graduating, he became one of the busiest working musicians in Michigan, playing with the Johnny Trudell Orchestra, sitting in with popular Mitten State acts like Thornetta Davis and the Reefermen, headlining at clubs across the country, opening shows for B.B. King, Johnny Winter, the Yardbirds, and many others, and leading the Detroit Lions Pep Band. In 2005, Al-Saadi released his first solo album, Long Time Coming, followed in 2008 by In the Round. 2013 saw the release of Real, a live-in-the-studio set with Al-Saadi backed by a band of legendary studio players, including Jimmy Vivino on rhythm guitar, Leland Sklar on bass, Jim Keltner on drums, and Tom Scott on sax. In March 2016, Al-Saadi was chosen to be a contestant on the popular musical competition series The Voice, and after impressing the judges with a strong version of the Box Tops’ “The Letter,” Blake Shelton and Adam Levine both turned their chairs for his performance. Al-Saadi chose Levine to be his coach, and his version of “The Letter” was quickly made available as a digital single.

• PREACH IT! The Voice is a rather bizarre concept to me, a talent contest in which the focus is – on the judges? What the what?

• Alex Kawa says:

It’s a race between Adam and Alisan at this point. I think Adam, at this point, stands a decent chance at winning, seeing as how, not only was he the top-seller on iTunes this week, but he is a country singer, and the country vote on this show is super strong. If I had to pick, I’d pick Alisan, and I think she still has a good chance at winning, but there’s still 5 weeks to the finale.

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

Exactly, it also looks like that even America wants XTINA to win with ALISAN. Cause she’s been the most consistent chart topper and most liked contestant. She deserves it, but Adam has a good chance as well

• Feni says:

Does anyone remember when friggin Jake Worthingtin of all people placed higher than Christina Grimmie in the final? Country fans will literally vote for anything and being on Team Blake alone wins their votes, as evidenced by Paxton who literally sound atrocious and runs around like a little kid on stage every night, which would be cute if this was a kareoke audience engagement competition. But last time I checked, it’s “the VOICE”. Paxton’s voice is literally terrible. I truly truly truly believe that I could give a better performance than him. He needs to go. And Mary annoys me because she appears to be extremely overconfident. She will undeserving go far just like that guy on Blake’s team from either last year or two year’s ago did who sucked.

• CY says:

Okay fine. Now get over it already!

• Blarney says:

IMO, Paxton was the weakest singer of the 12. Shows to go us, that at this point, it’s not really about “the voice”, but rather, as said,, , coaches fans and genre fans. Selena Gomez has a current hit with the song he did and maybe some block of fans of the show thought it was cute.

• Collin says:

It’s quite obvious you dislike country music and therefore have no idea what you’re talking about when it comes to country music! Country fans will vote for anything? Jake Worthington was a solid country artist and had one of the best auditions I recall ever hearing on this show. Just because you don’t like country don’t assume we shouldn’t have a opinion in this. I do totally agree about Paxton however. Not sure what’s going on there! Mary Sarah is a solid country artist and deserves to be on this show. Her last 2 weeks have been below average though. She better step it up or she deserves to go home. Adam is the best right now. He’ll pull in the country/rock voters. Alisan is overrated in my opinion. Her tone is way to nasily for my taste. She’s talented though. I think Hannah is better though. Laith is awesome also. I would love to see a Adam, Laith, Hannah, Mary Sarah finale. That’s if Mary steps up and gets back to what got her here. Overall I think it’s a pretty good year. Much better than AI. As far as the coaches go. I just tune them out. Most of what they say is rediculous! But it’s been that way for awhile now. Anyone who has watched the show should know that. I’m not so sure why there’s so much complaining about it.

• Justin says:

Funny you should mention Christina Grimmie. Her upper register is as shrill and unpleasant to listen to Alisan’s. At least Jake got the honest vote. Christina was shoved through by the producers using several sketchy last-minute tactics.

• Sally says:

After placing second in Season 7 on the Voice in 2014, Jake Worthington toured with the Voice finalists, graduated from high school and signed a record contract. He put out an album in 2015, and his single and video, “Keep Falling in Love” was just released and he is touring the country promoting his album. I could find no new tour dates for Christina Grimmie. Apparently, she crashed and burned after she was signed by Adam Levine, put out an album and she toured in Europe. Last I saw her she was doing commercials on the Voice last season.

• kevstar says:

Is Adam really a country Artist? I hear blues, southern rock and gospel music in his voice. I’m not a country fan, but Adam’s gritty voice makes me stand at attention.

• Blarney says:

Southern Rock , Allman Brothers stuff seems to be where he takes his music toward.

• Justin says:

You are right. There is as much blues in there as country if not moreso. I actually am not a country fan but I really like Adam’s voice. He’s as worthy a winner as anyone at this point in time.

• Barry Fritchman says:

I want to punch Adam Levine in the face whenever he anoints Alisan ‘the Jordan Smith’ of this season. Let’s not make this season a foregone conclusion already. Is she talented ? Absolutely. But not perfect. And there’s so much good talent on the show, how about giving everyone a reasonably fair shake ?

• Gigi says:

There is no Jordan Smith this season… or Chris Mann…or Tessanne …only screeching women…I’m done! Just bought Jordan’s fabulous album: “Something Beautiful” and will listen to it often rather than return to The Voice…

• MrTemecula says:

One slack season and you’re gone?! All you have to do is wait five months and there will be another Jordan, Tessane, etc., etc.

This season has fairly strong vocals and varied styles. Adam’s southern rock. Alison’s ultra sonic stylings. Hannah’s blue-eyes soul. Bryan’s R&B bedroom pillow talk. I look forward every week to those guys. Most season it’s only one or two singers.

• Kbella says:

I agree, I think there are several great contestants this season! I keep going back and forth on who is my favorite(s). Of course, Alison is up there but Hannah is really impressing me and I could see an Alison/Hannah final 2.

• Shay Roller says:

Not likely to be a “Jordan” in many seasons, as he is so exceptional. Doesn’t mean there aren’t good singers this time – there most certainly are. I laugh at all these constant pronouncements that someone is “done with the Voice” just because something doesn’t go their way. Yet it remains one of the highest rated shows on television – so obviously most people are watching.

• Don says:

What are you talking about? Adam L has already twice so far this season anointed Adam W the winner. He compliments Alisan, but he’s never said that about her.

6. Jaszy says:

Emily had an amazing performance on Monday night. So, I guess it all comes down to musical taste. She is a young Joni Mitchell. A lot of people will not respond to that type of artist, unfortunately. Based off of their save me performances, she was a lot better than Owen, but, of course, people are going to save the boy over the girl.

7. LADY_in_MD says:

I was not expecting the two of them to be in the bottom how did Paxton get through?

• davmon says:

Blake’s devotees must have pushed his whole team in this round. Heck, neither MS or Pax were as good as Emily–or Owen! But then, none of them were not as bad as Daniel & Nick, either. So go figure.

8. Ava Zinn says:

Completely shocked and missed the first half. Paxton and Daniel should have been in the bottom two.

• Justin says:

Bottom two should have been any combination of Paxton, Daniel, Nick or Mary Sarah. That seems to be the general consensus and one I happen to fully agree with.

• Angie_Overrated says:

No, apparently the consensus is that Emily and Owen were bottom two. Did you miss the results show? Those results came directly from the consensus itself.

• AlyB says:

I think Emily might have suffered from people buying her iTunes that figured that was their vote. Since she didn’t crack the top ten she didn’t benefit from the bonus. Whereas others that had much weaker sales got 10 votes per voting method. I know this result is reflective of your opinion Angie but from what I saw online, on Twitter & in iTunes sales, there were many people much more impressed with Emily than some of the others. I don’t think she deserved elimination tonight.

• Farrah says:

I was blown away by her song choice to be honest! It was the least expected choice of the whole night and one of the most daring. Sometimes taking risks doesn’t pay off as there’s always going to be a large percentage of people out there who aren’t as receptive to understated, nuanced singing and the creation of a certain mood over the more obviously showy vocal performances. Sure she had one bad bobble in her vocal, but the emotion and connection were there in spades and that is what I care about the most! Looks like Emily’s risk paid off more in sales than votes, which is a shame, but the fact remains that more people who actually pay for music wanted her song in their music collection than nine of the others and that speaks volumes right there.

• Farrah says:

I think they were meaning consensus on this board, which seems to be the case. I do not put much faith into America’s voting to be honest going by the track record for this show. Ditto for American Idol. A lot more factors are clearly in play other than just the voice like backstory, sympathy, looks, personality… I think Emily came off too precocious and mature. Voters seem to want the teen contestants acting like teens.

• Angie'sPersonalTroll says:

Good comments. Angie hates the voters except this one time they voted off someone she didn’t like. There are a lot of factors at play, but the show’s results rarely hinge on who sang the best. Popularity of a song/familiarity with a song, a coach’s popularity, performance order, performer’s age/gender/looks, etc-these all seem to be factors that are almost as important as the performance itself.

• Camille says:

This Angie_Overrated person has a REALLY nasty, know-it-all attitude which is on full display on most of these singing show boards. He / she bitterly decries America when they vote off someone he / she likes and then conveniently flips the script when it suits her / his / it’s opinion. Quite the hypocrite. I also don’t believe (s)he really knows much about music despite the fact she likes to go on and on about her so-called expertise. Some of the singers she latches onto do technically awful jobs yet her “well tuned” ears make excuses for them or just ignores it. In other words, his / her opinion means nothing more than anyone else’s even though he / she pretends it does.Too bad these boards don’t have an ignore function because this sanctimonious poster would likely get blocked by at least 80 percent of the posters on here!

• davmon says:

I agree, although I had Mary Sarah a notch above the other three, who seem clueless in how to handle a song: singing by the numbers…and time to score some technical points with an ill-advised falsetto riff. But hey, America votes!…W got re-elected in 2004….Boyd beat out MacAndrew…Mitch McConnell got reelected to the Senate and to Majority Leader…In last season’s semi-finals, Amy Vachal & Shelby Brown departed the same night as Braiden Sunshine….Donald Trump is leading the race to nomination of one of the two major political parties in the most powerful nation in our world….And this season, Ryan or Tamar or Brian N or Joe or Katie B could not make Top 12, but Paxton, Daniel, & Nick could?…Welcome to the American electorate!

9. Jaszy says:

I already see this season going downhill, just like Idol. I mean, I’m still reeling…Trent Harmon? really? You people voted him as the winner?!?! Women can’t win anymore.
    But that’s another show.
    Back to the Voice, please don’t let this season go downhill.

I hope Hannah Huston makes it to the end.

• danin says:

I love Hannah. Just love her. And I loved Trent..and voted for him and loyally voting for Hannah..even though it looks to be an Adam&Alison top 2. I am emotionally connected to Hannah as I was w/Trent. When and if Hannah goes there goes my heart vote.

• davmon says:

Hannah is fun, has a voice as good as Alisan, and seems humble. I think she deserves at least as much hype as Ms Porter….Those two are a tad better than Laith & Adam, who are two good rugged voices….But IMO, those four lag behind Shalyah and Bryan when they are on their game. Not that I expect either to win, unfortunately—permanent tans and all; but I hope they get to Top 6, and maybe Final 4.

10. Jaszy says:

You know something’s wrong with this season if Nick is still there. So this dude got more votes than the amazing artist that is Emily Keener? Come on, America!

I’m actually not that mad that Owen was saved. He is good. His save me performance was atrocious, but overall, he is still really strong.
    But the fact that Nick didn’t even have to “Sing for his life”, I’m telling you, it’s that sob story that’s getting him through. His vocals are so average, it’s not even funny.

• Gailer says:

Yes, Nick was a shocker! Maybe Blake fans voted for him too ha

• Oscarpig says:

Totally agree sickening

• safado says:

I’m obviously hearing something you’re not.
      Nick and Daniel are two of my favorites, and I think they’ve been consistently underrated here, IMO. Alisan is still the standout, but those two are clearly talented. Even Paxton is better than his material. Bryan had an off week, but I bet he bounces back. And Hannah is one of the best.

The remaining singers haven’t captured my attention yet.

• Jaszy says:

You need to clean out your ears clearly. He was already eliminated once and that’s why people are hesitant to let him go, no matter how much he needs to go. His voice is the weakest of the TOP 24 that we had this season. And he’s still there…..I don’t get it at all. But he’s a cute, white boy with a sob story…so there you go. Apparently, that equals votes.

• Davey says:

Daniel should never have been brought back. What a bore.

• kevstar says:

I don’t think Nick’s little boy is a sob story at all. I find him very confident and inspirational. I find it very offensive that you think because he is handicapped, people automatically feel sorry for him. And as for him being a cute white boy, maybe you need to check your resentment at the door.
          Now, is Nick the best singer? No, but is Hannah the best, either? No.

• Jaszy says:

It’s the truth. Sorry if it sounds harsh. I’m not trying to be offensive to the little boy. He’s the inspiration. Not Nick. That doesn’t mean we should vote for him though. You clearly must be living under a rock if you don’t see that as the reason as to why Nick is still in the competition. His vocals are not that good! So why is he still there? I’m not the only who has said this. He has the sympathy vote for sure.
            And really, have you never heard of the term sob story? A lot of contestants have sob stories. Even frickin Alisan has one with her drug addiction past.

• Jaszy says:

And maybe you need to check the track record of the types of people who have won the Voice and American Idol. MOST of them are WGWGs, hence, that is why I said, cute white boys. I’m just sick of the same types of people winning. This is my opinion and I’m not alone in it. WHY do you even think that term WGWG was ever coined in the first place if this wasn’t an issue in the reality show competition world?

• Collin says:

Ha good luck with this one kev! A lot of these gals on here are out for blood! The girl power movement is in full swing! Some of them are so nuts they’ll even tell you clean your ears out or worse if u don’t agree with their opinions. After all we should all like the same style of artists. To like a male artist now I guess is really bad! And it’s OK to cut him down because he has a handicapped son so that must automatically make all his votes sympathy ones! How rediculous is this crap getting?!!! You honestly don’t think anybody is feeling aspired by what Nick is doing? And maybe that’s what at least some of the votes are about? Not to mention he’s getting better week to week! No I don’t think he’s the best on here right now. Far from it. But he’s just as good if not better than a couple of them. At least his performances are aspiring and not boring. But since he’s a white guy he doesn’t belong on the show. And if we have a different opinion than these crazies on here we’re just plain wrong! At least nick is watchable unlike that boring girl who went home tonight! Owen could’ve went home with her in my opinion! They both were extremely difficult to watch and not once did I actually feel anything when they sang. You see I’m not just against girls, so don’t go to crazy on me! God forbid we have different opinions on the type of music we like!

11. annican says:

I actually thought Emily was awful last night. It felt more like a series of notes than an actual song. I’m just surprised the voters agreed with me. That almost never happens.

• Angie_Overrated says:

You’re not alone. I was rather confused coming here last night seeing people praise her performance. I found it to be more of a performance art piece than a song rendition.

• Jaszy says:

But music is ART. It’s a performance art. She’s the younger version of Joni Mitchell.
        Joni Mitchell is a true artist. Emily Keener is a true artist. She was AMAZING Monday night. We can’t all be wrong about this. I mean, all four coaches even gave her a standing ovation for crying out loud. It’s just that, unfortunately, a lot of people didn’t respond well to that particular style of music. It doesn’t mean that she’s not good enough, though. She’s amazing. I’m glad she was able to show her talent. Perhaps this platform of the Voice will be a huge stepping stone for her. Go Emily Keener!

• scott says:

Exactly, four coaches can’t be wrong. Let’s face it, artistic integrity is dead on these singing shows. I wanted a few more weeks of Emily.

12. Jaszy says:

It’s getting really hard for me to stay in Mary Sarah’s court when she keeps delivering sub-par performances. She did something in her blind audition that not a lot of people do. She deceived a lot of people. That vocal of hers during the Blinds was STUNNING, absolutely STELLAR. It made me believe that she had a stronger voice than she’s been showing us as of lately. I feel deceived. I’m also very disappointed. I thought she was better than that.
    She needs to pick PERFECT songs for her vocals. Otherwise, she’s headed out the door soon. Her voice is not strong enough for Carrie Underwood and she should’ve realized that. Blake should’ve realized that. (But I’m not surprised that he didn’t, seeing as he really can’t sing that well.)

• Ani says:

You are one of only a few people who has ever pointed out that Blake Shelton just isn’t all that good! I think last night he did seem to be trying to tell Mary Sarah that she’s no Carrie Underwood, but Mary “wanted to show another side of herself”. She won’t win, I don’t think, but she’ll be around long enough to ruin the chances of some other, stronger singers.

• Blarney says:

Song choice was bad, Best advice, don’t do Carrie Underwood stuff. Even if you’re a good singer. The songs don’t work for anyone but Carrie hardcore fans, even if you got all the range and pitch-0n. If I were a coach, I would leave-alone covers by Carrie and certain other female artists. They simply never work to raise the popularity of the contestant.

• dlraetz says:

She should try Dolly or Reba, especially Dolly since she did a duet with her

• Sally says:

Millions of fans would disagree with you that Blake can’t sing well. He has had 23 number one hits and received Male Vocalist of the Year at both the AMC and CMAs for five years. He also made $60 million dollars on his albums and hit singles. I would say he sings very well.

13. Sally says:

I was so disappointed to see Emily, my favorite female singer go home. It was a total shock because she was number 3 on Itunes and should have been safe. That just proves that no matter how many records they sell none of the performers are safe. Last season I was excited about many of the performers but this season I am not that emotionally involved in any of them.

14. Geet says:

Something’s not right with tonight’s results —- by sending Emily home, it seems the show is not about the ‘Voice ‘ anymore !! Maybe they are clearing the path for Alisan to win, by eliminating a talented girl competitor like Emily…

• Jaszy says:

You must be crazy if you think it’s set in stone for Alisan to win.
      This season is probably going to be another season 6 all over again. Remember, Christina Grimmie was the predicted choice to win all season long. Shockingly, she came third place and Josh Kaufman bizarrely ended up winning.
      Alisan might be this year’s Christina Grimmie. She might well get edged out by the WGWG’s.
      Adam Wakefield has the best chance of winning this season, unfortunately.
      I really don’t get what’s so special about him. But a lot of people seem to be responding very well to him.

• Carol says:

If the show was about the Voice then Ryan would have stayed over Nick

15. Diane Raetz says:

I’m shocked that Emily is gone. I thought she was head and shoulders over Owen

Also I don’t get Gwen. About halfway through fast forwarded through her performance

• davmon says:

You too?…Halfway through Gwen’s song I flashed on my mother who passed a year and half ago….She woulda tolerated all that for a minute and half or so…then would pronounce: “Someone help that girl outta her misery!”

16. CK3 says:

As soon as Paxton was saved, I realized that nothing else would make sense.

Off Topic – Are we going to get a Reality Check Finale? I feel incomplete without you and Melinda speaking about it.

• suebrody says:

All I know is that Adam and Alisan were at the top of the iTunes charts (as they should be), Paxton was NOT eliminated (WUT), and I cannot wait for the Reality Check Finale (i look for it everyday).

• Oscarpig says:

What is a reality check finale?

• Jules says:

If Braiden effing Sunshine and Ryan effing Sill could make it through week after week, then so can Paxton. He’s a much better singer, in general, than those two were. His Blind was good as were his Battle and Knockout rounds. Maybe Blake will give him a song he deserves, now that he realizes people are voting for him despite the sh***y song choices.

• Jaszy says:

Man, don’t even bring up those TRAVESTIES of contestants. They were such jokes…and that’s putting it lightly.

17. Tom q. says:

Should have eliminated Laith! Not enough talent!!

18. Butch Fralia says:

I’m totally shocked by the results. Emily with such a pure voice shouldn’t of been in the bottom two much less voted off. Something is wrong with America if this is their choice!

19. Emily was eliminated? WTF? There were some, um. odd moments in “Lilac Wine” but she was one of the most interesting vocalists – a lot more interesting to me than 75% of the other contestants. At this stage in the game I expect to see some true vocal prowess or something that makes me sit up and take notice.

But I don’t think I’ll ever forgive America for eliminating Kimberly Nichole last year, and La’Porsha this year. I’m fully prepared for another royal f-up.

20. Oscarpig says:

Sickening that Emily was eliminated. Not only is she incredibly talented and special. She charted well on iTunes. I think it’s fixed folks

21. Dee says:

Tonight results go to show the iTunes rankings don’t mean jack anymore because it seems like more people are voting and not buying the songs.

• IMO, it’s because the songs haven’t really been all that good. Sure they are okay to listen to once or twice…but there is no way is want to buy most of what was produced Monday night.

Now I’m still surprised that Emily was eliminated. I’d already commented on another post that I wasn’t as impressed by her performance as the rest of the world seemed to be…but I expected (ie. hoped) that Nick or Paxton to go home. Both were subpar.

22. Katie says:

All I love about the voice are the blinds, authentic, pure, but leave the outcomes in the hands of the voting public then …….lookout it’s laughable, #3 on ITunes?????, so I am done. Emily Keener deserves better, America loves the “screamers”.

23. Teresa York says:

America is not known for it’s appreciation of nuanced or original talent. They want someone belting out histrionic tunes while emoting with affect. Emily could have (and probably should have) made song choices that would appeal to the masses but in the end, even as she departs the show, she is one of the most talented this season. Just wait and see.

• Oscarpig says:

I’ll be watching for her. U hit the nail on the head. Art imitates politics I guess.

• Jaszy says:

I agree with EVERY SINGLE WORD in this post! That girl is HIGHLY talented, more so than many of them that are still left (cough: Nick Hagelin)…but America loves these WGWG’s don’t they?

• Russ says:

So you are saying Nick is a WGWG? So previously you said to check the track record of the winners on The Voice. Yes you also said Idol but this is a thread on the Voice and that is what I will discuss. Do you know who Javier Colon, Jermaine Paul, Cassadee Pope, Danielle Bradbery, and Tessanne Chin are? How about Josh Kaufman and Jordan Smith? Better yet do you know what they are not? They are 7 of 9 winners on the voice. They are not WGWGs. Two are white guys, but neither used guitars during their performances. So only Sawyer Fredricks and Craig Wayne Boyd were winners and WGWGs. In my world two out of nine is not most of the time.

As for Nick he has used a guitar one time out of 5. That hardly makes him a WGWG. That one time was in the knock outs when he lost. He did not have a guitar either time america voted for him.

Perhaps you should check your facts before spewing your agenda on here. But I know you do not want to hear the facts while you are hating on men, especially white ones with guitars.

• Jaszy says:

I was really thinking more about Idol when I posted my comment. As for the Voice, the past three winners have been white boys…so there you go.

• Russ says:

Javier Colon, Jermaine Paul, Cassadee Pope, Danielle Bradbery, Tessanne Chin, Josh Kaughman, and Jordan Smith. Seven out of nine winners on The Voice were not WGWGs. I guess at least on The Voice a WGWG does not win most of the time.

As for Nick he only used a guitar in the knock outs, and he lost. He did not use one both times America voted for him. Nor did he use one in the blinds or the battles. One time out of five hardly makes him a WGWG.

But please don’t let these facts stop you from telling us how much you only want a woman to win this season. Or how you feel about men, especially white ones that play guitar.

• Collin says:

Good point Russ. It probably won’t matter to her though. Shes on a serious girl power trip! Wow is she mad! God forbid we all like different types of music! I almost fell asleep during the girl who got eliminated performance last night. She was boring! IMO anyways.

• Jaszy says:

Emily’s save me performance was not boring what so ever. I did mention in one of my posts that she was consistently sharp throughout the performance. I don’t just praise and not critique. I did the same with Mary Sarah; I praised her and critiqued her.
            What’s so bad about having girl power. It’s obviously lacking. I’m one of the people who LOVES different types of music. I mean, I have over 700 albums full of rock, pop, alternative, folk, country, classical, I mean…you name it. I mean, one of my favorite singers of all time is David Gray, so no, I’m not against white men (this is coming from a black girl who is attracted to white men) I’m only against them when they are clearly weaker than some female competitors but still end up making it over those stronger female contestants.

• Jaszy says:

I love male singers, don’t get me wrong. My musical collection is full of albums from David Gray, James Morrison, Glen Hansard, Kris Allen, etc…I’m just sick of the men edging out better female competitors simply because they are men and because mostly women vote.
          And since you guys are just picking and choosing from my comment what you want to take from it, I did mention Idol. That’s mainly where I’m getting the WGWG from.

24. Paula says:

How could Emily be bottom two being number 3 on ITunes among the twelve? I know ITunes is not the only method of voting, but still… I think it is a little suspicious

25. Gailer says:

It’s been said here before: a singer is crazy if they don’t pick Blake for their coach! His fans will vote for anything!

26. ghii says:

Paxton did well and what songs people decide to spend their money on won’t take away from that.

27. danin says:

My bottom 4 last night: from dismal to awful..4th worst:Paxton( what a crappy song for him again!) I’m no fan of the sound of his voice but he usually has song well& is dynamic.. That’s why they put him after Alison. 3rd worst:Bryan, what a stale song to give him&the arrangement sucked! 2nd worst: Emily..kudos for song choice but she was just not up to Jeff Buckley standards..she was dreadful. And the completely number one worst of the worst..Nick.He did beautifully last week and completely tanked this week. Go home Nick.

28. Ron says:

A couple comments. First, how in the world did Paxton advance?!?! He wasn’t even bottom 2? Beyond confusing. Second, Nick is an extremely mediocre singer, and every time I see his face, I get so angry because that should’ve been Ryan or Tamar’s spot (my vote would’ve been for Ryan). Based on Nick advancing during the top 24 based on votes, and Paxton advancing tonight based on votes, I officially want to collectively punch America in the face for being so stupid. Paxton ruins the flow of the show because he’s just so far out of his league, and Nick ruined Christina’s phenomenal team. Much like Michael, I can’t anymore…

• Beth says:

I agree that Tamar should still be there, and Nick should be gone. I loved Emily. This was the first season I’ve ever watched the show, and I fell in love with her and that voice! Doubt I’ll watch now that it seems so rigged. How Nick, PAXTON, DANIEL, and Mary Sarah are still there while Emily was booted and Owen had to sing for his life is crazy. I thought it was about “the voice,” but it’s clearly a popularity contest. So disappointing! I am not an Allison fan. She is talented, but actually listening to her sing is unpleasant, so I’d never buy her music! I could listen to Shalyah all day long. Oh and Gwen’s performance? Yikes! That was just painful to watch and to hear!

29. Sadly,Emily had talent but she did not go to a genre her age related to.Some people got votes based on less than talent.I like Paxton but if a song could be more repetitious I don’t know.One guy is getting pitty votes.And some for old performances.

30. Omarr says:

I have almost no words abut what happened tonight. Emily was way better than Paxton, Mary Sarah, Nick and Daniel and yet they all went through. UGGHH I actually miss Idol now!

31. Jennifer says:

WHERE’S REALITY CHECK FOR THE IDOL SERIES FINALE?!?! THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!

32. scott says:

Total travesty. Surely Emily did not deserve bottom two, especially after charting so well on ITunes. That and she’s also pretty damn good. I definitely thought she was at least top 5 or 6 material. Better than Pax, Mary and Nick for sure. Oh well, thats America.

33. Jaszy says:

This season is probably going to be another season 6 all over again.

34. Heidi Quayle says:

SO WRONG! I was screaming at the tv and would have loved to have voted a million times for Emily Keener over just about every other contestant but I’m Canadian and it wouldn’t count. ARGGGHHHH! I thought, oh, people assumed she’d be safe so they didn’t vote for her but now that she’s in the bottom, she’ll be voted back in by a landslide. And then Adam asks that people save Owen as a favor to HIM personally, and just like that, Emily goes home as the first vote. I am only watching for Hannah and Shalyah now.

• davmon says:

Good for you! Someone else who really likes Shalyah–and Hannah! My faves along with Bryan….Just don’t The Voice police know I don’t favor Alisan.

• tvlover44 says:

those are my favorite three, too — bryan, hannah, and shalyah! and i cannot stand alisan’s voice and to me she comes across as inauthentic in her emoting.

35. Timmah says:

Surprising that Emily is gone, but not really. Girls who have a more artistic bent (all the many Carolines for example) never seem to do as well among the voters as the female belters. And the opposite is usually true for the guys, which makes it actually more surprising that Owen was in the bottom. The good news for Emily is that at least people who are more inclined to purchase music on iTunes liked her. She was one of my favorites too, which of course is the kiss of death :).

36. Davey says:

My household voted 100 votes for Owen and bought his song which did ok on iTunes. Was something messed up with the Voice voting online?

37. Marlene says:

I won’t watch the Voice any more

38. Jaszy says:

Man….that girl was so robbed! Emily Keener had a great performance Monday night. I don’t get her elimination at all, ESPECIALLY when she clearly did better in her SAVE ME performance than OWEN. But who am I kidding? He’s a WGWG!

39. Carol McMahan says:

Emily is a singing genius. How could this happen?

40. logan sweeney says:

I cannot believe Owen was in the bottom 2…I thought he would be in the finale..

• Davey says:

I don’t get how either Owen or Emily were in the bottom 2. Two very talented musician artists who don’t scream their heads off to move us.

41. MynameisNO says:

The TEAM concept is ruining/has ruined this show. And Miley and Alicia Keys teams will lose as well because they haven’t been there for 10 seasons like Blake and Adam. Blake will always get 2+ in every finale because he represents an entire genre with a Loyal fan base.unlike Adam who is not in one specific genre. They really should rethink the format before this show isn’t salvageable. Maybe make it Top 16 after playoffs and no specific coach after that point. Maybe rotate coaches. Idk. But it’s clear at this point who still watches this show after it has been bleeding viewers these past few seasons. Their audience is no longer an accurate representation of people who STILL buy music. Instead, it’s a representation of country music fans and people who vote based on the coach not the artist.

42. danin says:

Michael Slezak and everyone..check who got called first then last, 2nd &2nd from last..there is an almost symmetrical pattern to who got called from what team and when. So there’s that. Also, Sawyer won the singers songwriter category for Pharrell recently. I don’t think the prods want to repeat that so soon w/Emily or Owen. Or have Pharrell win w/another singer songwriter so soon. Or maybe even get into that mistake as Idol did, especially WGWG.Although Adam is a WGWG, he’s country/southern rock. Has anyone won in that category yet?

43. kevstar says:

How did Paxton make it through? He had the least amount of iTunes downloads.

44. Karly says:

Emily was robbed! Great talent!!

45. PixiRose says:

I don’t understand. Emily was ranked third from all the contestants in itunes top 100, by far! She was third on PopVortex! Paxton for example was never in the top 100, and he was not in the top 12 o PopVortex.

46. Jonathan says:

Alisan & Adam= frontrunners
    Owen & Hannah = could go far if they have the right song soon
    Bryan = black r&b guys can’t win the voice anymore so sorry dude (coming from a black guy)
    Laith = i wish pharrell would stop praising him; annoying old bearded santa claus
    Nick = ugh
    Daniel = ugh ugh
    Mary = i hate her; prom queen who no one really wanted to vote for but everyone figured she’d throw a temper tantrum if she didn’t win
    Paxton = boiiiii; when the voice practices affirmative action

• danin says:

Yeah, really..Hannah is my girl..she’s got to pick a really good song soooon! And true about Owen as well. And me thinks true too for Bryan. I connect w/Hannah’s heart& qualities in her voice.But Alison keeps picking killer songs! Aside from having that obvious voice. And Bryan could work wonders w/his smooth voice.And who doesn’t like to hear an effortlessly sung song? Thought Kiss From A Rose was a stale ole kiss of death. Xtina did Bryan no favors w/that one.

• davmon says:

Jonathan, WTF guy? I know about supposed black invisibility to white folk like me; but how does a black guy not see and comment on THE BLACK WOMAN in this race: Shalyah was left off your list!!! And Monday night, she was my fave! But it is not just you; hardly anyone has commented about her all week! How was Alisan & Adam better? or Laith & Adam? They weren’t! She is just invisible!!!….And as far as I am concerned, Bryan SHOULD be right behind her; he was only a bit off this week, but before that he was best….Anyway, that is my Top 6; the rest are really not good vocalists.

• davmon says:

Whoops, I said Adam twice….My Top 6 Should Be list: Shalyah 1st, Bryan 2nd, Hannah 3rd, Laith 4th, Alisan 5th, & Adam 6th….my Will Be list: Alisan, Adam, Hannah, Mary Sarah, Nick, Daniel….Meaning, do not overlook the Blake Factor, the Nick backstory, & the mystery qualities of Daniel to push the two best remaining–Shalyah and Bryan–out of even the top 6..

• Russ says:

I agree with this list. But I do think if Bryan gets back to singing like he did in the blinds and battles. You could bump him up there with Owen and Hannah.

47. Bruce Shepherd says:

The only reason this happened is because as so many people Dvr the voice…Emily hands down should not have gone home….makes me want to stop watching the show!!!

48. Carole says:

Unbelievable results! No way should Emily have been bottom two! Ok, she’s not mainstream, but that certainly hasn’t hurt others in the past. Her voice is so much better than Daniel, Owen, and nick, who all are ok, but not very special. I give up!

49. Moses says:

This was a shocker to me. That Michael would actually buy the crap Gwen S. puts out. She looked like a dutch girl on a paint can. Emily on the other hand is a talented singer. Her getting voted off was a complete mystery to me. And Paxton gets by on his smile and that’s about it.

• Blarney says:

Emily is right now, #32 on I-tunes…..only behind Adam and Alison… ahead of the others who were saved by America …..hmmm.

50. Timmah says:

#VoiceSaveEmily is trending on Twitter, but not #VoiceSaveOwen. It does make you wonder sometimes.

• Kim Schulze says:

Exactly! People say well, iTunes doesn’t mean everything. But the twitter trending + the iTunes? Very suspicious. *sighs, turns off The Voice for the season*

• analythinker says:

I’ve said this before: trending doesn’t mean anything. I’ve done some planned trending and one second it was #1, the next second it went poof because Twitter decided it was not valid (because it was planned).