Exclusive

Person of Interest Season 5 Trailer: Final Chapter Braves 'Uncharted Waters'

Person of Interest‘s number is up — but Team Machine will be damned if they’re not gonna down fighting, as seen in this exclusive first look at the CBS drama’s final season trailer.

POI‘s fifth and final season opens Tuesday, May 3 at 10/9c with the episode “B.S.O.D.,” in which Reese and Finch (played by Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson) attempt to rescue The Machine’s source code before it deteriorates beyond repair, while Root (Amy Acker) fights for her life against an onslaught of Samaritan agents and Fusco (Kevin Chapman) is faced with hard questions following the deaths of Dominic and Elias.

The twice-weekly farewell run continues Monday, May 9 at 10 pm with “SNAFU,” where a glitchy Machine swamps Reese and Fusco with the numbers of dozens of people not actually involved in crimes, while also locking Finch and Root out after identifying them as threats.

Coming off the Season 4 finale where Finch rescued The Machine by stuffing Her into a briefcase, “We pick it up in real time,” co-showrunner Greg Plageman told TVLine at the series’ 100th episode party. “Our guys are under duress, The Machine is in a suitcase and it just becomes a fight for survival at that point.”

And yet survive — if not score the occasional win — is precisely what Finch, Reese, Root, Fusco and a returning Shaw (played by Sarah Shahi) will do during this do-or-die swan song. “Samaritan is not an easy adversary to defeat,” says co-showrunner Jonah Nolan, “but this is definitely a season where our guys are getting fed up with getting their asses handed to them. We’re gonna switch it up a bit!”

Want more scoop on POI, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Mr. Smith says:

YES! Hate to see this show end, but I would rather it end like this than having it chopped apart like Castle.

• Ben says:

Castle is a great example of why I am not one of those calling for some other network to pick up POI. It’s going to end on its own terms. For me, that’s all I want for any show. Besides, 5-7 seasons is the sweet spot, so I’m ok with 5. Fringe and Chuck remain two of my favourite shows of all time with 5 seasons. I’m happy.

2. Sarah says:

YES!!! I’m so excited!

3. Erik says:

This looks awesome, but I never expected anything less. CBS are so stupid to let this show go. Person of Interest IS the future.

4. I wish it could hit 10 millions viewers or more, just to make fun at CBS ! The way they’re getting rid of it is just loosy and disrespectful !

• Chris Leonardi says:

It could hit 100 million viewers and it wouldn’t make a difference. The networks don’t care about total viewers. What matters is the 18-49 number. and PoI has been sagging in that number. Made even worse by the fact that CBS doesn’t own the show so they don’t get secondary revenue.

• Patrick says:

Yep. This is an expensive show. CBS sees no secondary revenue. Shows like this have to be a big hit to continue, and POI isn’t. I love it, and will watch it, but this end was inevitable.

• speakup_or_loseout says:

I read an interview with Les Moonves that came out less than two weeks ago. My interpretation: “We’ll run a lot of shows and let other networks pick them up. It doesn’t matter what we put on. People will watch.” Viewer loyalty doesn’t matter. Even ratings don’t, as long as CBS makes money. Any advertiser who believes people stop having purchasing power at age 45-54 needs EDUCATING. I used to run numbers. I have seen the lie from the front row. I never cared for the arrogant Moonves. He I’d another in a,long line of corporate drones who have little appreciation for those who create what he sells.

• BigB4MT says:

Following the money is no real surprise. I read somewhere that the “key demo” was an invention of one of the networks decades ago when said network was struggling. It was supposed to be a sales job to the sales & marketing people that buy commercials. It’s alleged that it was further used and maintained in support of “educating” young people particularly with the social agenda. It seems in more recent years that CBS makes plenty of money w/ targeting general audience and not just key demo. CBS, in general, seems to schedule shows skewed towards audiences that are slightly older. Obviously they still capitalize on shows such as The Big Bang Theory in the key demo. I suspect POI would have continued another couple of seasons if CBS TV studios actually produced the show. Another production studio just eats into the profit margins to where CBS doesn’t want to bother with the show for too many years. Stripped syndication, then CBS is out.

5. Big POI Fan says:

Can’t wait. Been darn near as excited about POI as I am about GoT And while all hope may be dead, that won’t stop me from still hoping SOMEONE SOMEWHERE will pick up this show and work around the actors’ schedules. Sight :-(

I look forward to the final episodes and I dread them as well.

• Derek41 says:

I am actually looking forward to this more than GoT, and I really like GoT, even though last season of that show was a little underwhelming. POI is my favorite show, and the summer is loaded with good stuff. Mr Robot, Game of Thrones and POI. That should keep me pretty occupied.

6. lj says:

wait… is that an actual date? We have a date?

• Mac says:

Date has been known since mid March.

PoI comes back May 3. Then they’ll have 2 episodes a week on Mondays and Tuesdays at 10 PM beginning on May 9. Series finale is on June 21.

7. Valee says:

Name of the song, please !!!

8. Mac says:

I’m so excited. Been waiting since May 5, 2015.

9. Christoffer says:

I thank everything Good and Holy for what we’ve received. It’s been a year, but the team is finally back! Only two weeks to go.

10. dioxinblues says:

I’m. So. Excited!!

11. Rakesh Patel says:

Best show on tv. Getting tired of ever type of CSI show ever out there. Nothing like the original. POI is original, exciting and fun. It’s down right wrong when they get us hooked on a show and then take it away.There are few tv show us adults can enjoy. Most shows today are not funny, predictable, and just boring. My wife and I set our schedule to only great shows like POI.Time is so scarce to spend on dull shows.

12. Murica! says:

Can’t wait to watch the final season. I’m still really disappointed that POI wasn’t saved by netflix.

13. Jason says:

Root and Shaw better make it out of this season in one piece (preferably together). I’ve had my fill of the lady carnage this Spring. I need a satisfying finish.

14. PatriciaLee says:

My heart is broken, already missing the show.

15. diz says:

I’m so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sad it’s the last season though, one of the few shows I watch on CBS.

16. Leela says:

You can’t possibly imagine how much I’m excited to see Root again. There was so little of her in seasons 3 and 4 I have high hopes for her story arc this season. I need some closure.

17. Leo says:

Very glad to see the return of POI, sorry it’s dying an early death. Well, actually angry to see it end before it’s time, but it’s about the dollar for the studio.

18. Chase says:

While yes its crap that alot of the CBS backstage politics forced the shows hand. But if its going to end why not do it now when the show from a writing standpoint is at its highest form ?

19. Lerbert says:

I’ll echo the other responses. So sad to see it go, glad it’s ending on a high note, wish it had been given proper attention by the network (I know I know nothing in it for CBS) for its final season. One of my all time favorites.

20. ap says:

yessssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. gregaj7 says:

Me thinks the show exposed too much of the overall covert opps that are really actually happening (ala Snowden). That and CBS doesn’t actually “own” the show. Thus, the cancellation of POI.

• BigB4MT says:

I tend to think that there is something to POI and the big Snowden reveal. What specifically? I couldn’t say. Just a little too coincidental for me. If not art imitating life, maybe something along the lines of conditioning. Whatever the case, I don’t see much of any other direction for the show. At least us fans will get a partial season to close it out. When I go back and watch the first couple of seasons, POI was so much better than the last season or two. No wonder the audience has dropped off significantly. Instead of tight plots and good character exploration of moral issues by wounded and flawed individuals, shallow lesbian innuendo replaced good character development and tight plots. A waste of good acting talent IMO. Last season or two, writing seemed distracted at best.

22. Juan says:

Just as long there is closure to the story. It doesn’t matter how many episodes. Cast is great. Will miss the show.

23. Maryann Iller says:

I want Shaw to go back with Damien Lewis and continue what they started on the show “Life”!!! Please, please!!

24. Cynthia says:

I will be avidly watching every second of each episode! So sad the powers that be are not moving forward with this wonderful show! :0(

25. screw you CBS after this season is I am done with CBS every show I have liked over the years CBS has removed I am staying with NBC and ABC and the cable

26. Poipony says:

Root!

• Leela says:

ROOT RULES PASS IT ON.

In 5.03 she’s posing as a delivery girl and she’s wearing short shorts. I repeat, this is not a drill Amy Acker is wearing short shorts in 5.03. I’d kiss the person who wrote this part for her.

• V.Mars says:

Wait you’re saying that 503 won’t be entirely full of reese’s crap from his past? Thanks God. The episode info is devastating. Do you know if Root is going to do more than just walk around as a delivery girl? I want to see this talent talent in action!!1

• velhaquacker says:

I wish I could like this comment.

27. Billie says:

I wish they would show the last episode again before the new ones. To refresh our memories since we have had to wait sooooo long. Does anyone know where it can be seen??

• You can watch or re-watch POI’s last episode on netflix. Even all the episodes from S1-S4.
      POI comes back in May 3, 2016 and it will be a two episode per week schedule. Please spread the word so that more people will watch the final season.

28. Afla ryback says:

Caution We’re back there Mechanical

29. this is one show that should never have ended!!

30. Devansh says:

I’ve been watching this show since the very beginning. I got hooked onto TV with some crappy shows and wanted to watch something interesting and kept looking for something. Also loved Christopher Nolan movies and came across this article way back then that said his brother Jonathan Nolan was involved in creating a show called person of interest. This was way before the show even went into production and I started following it like a crazy person. Every little snippet I got was enough and then finally it premiered and I was so confused initially. Guess my little brain back then couldn’t handle the gravity of the concept. But I hung on and kept telling all my friends about this show. You have to know back then in India, american television was so delayed that we got the first season after it was over in the united states. But I found my was around it and watched and watched till I got to the 7th episode of the show. And then everything exploded and I was literally hooked… Have loved every bit of this show and I can safely say that I have got at least another 50 people that I know to watch this show.. Some forcefully initially and some just loved it.. we love person of interest here in India and it fuels our paranoia like nothing else ever will. Mr.Robot is incredible but really nothing compares to this.. The sad part.. Shows finally premier here at the same time because people realize that India’s a huge market for English television and when I finally have a chance to watch this show the right way its only 13 episodes. I will really miss this show. I still have a glimmer of hope that it will get picked up by another network or become a web series. Doubt it though but I can still hope. Either ways I’ve waited over a year to just watch this season and I just cannot any more. I’m going to miss this show and mostly my TV watching days may also slow down after this. Man… they used Pink Floyd… and one of the most surreal moments on TV came of that song.. God I love these writers.. these actors.. the producers and everyone involved in giving this show 5 seasons.. CBS.. cmon.. go for one more.. you did it for that crap fest called unforgettable..TWICE… not once but TWICE.. Give us another season… Ill get another 100 people hooked onto this show.. that’s a promise…

31. Viv says:

Halleluah… We have been waiting for this sooo long… Bittersweet though — watching the smartest tv show in the country killed slowly… Thanks CBS.

32. VJ says:

Great to have everyone back! Reese Finch Root Shaw Fusco it’s time to kick Samaritan’s ass! Stiil have hope it will be picked by another network!

33. APFW says:

I was hoping for another flashback with Carter before the end.

34. Lee says:

I LOVE this show, I binge watch it on Netflix everyday. Please go to save person of intrest on change.org and sign the petition PLEASE!!!! ACTUALLY EVERYONE SIGN THE PETITION

35. Lee says:

Yes go to save person of intrest on change.org and sign the petition PLEASE!!!! ACTUALLY EVERYONE SIGN THE PETITION

36. kapil jaiswal says:

songs name plz

37. B Pierce says:

Always liked the show .knew it couldn’t last because you had to think while watching it. also will miss Elias and Domonic. Good villains are so worth it!

38. Laura B says:

CBS doesn’t care about their viewers. Never have, never will. I watch limited shows on CBS & when TV shows are cancelled, I watch shows on other networks.

• PatriciaLee says:

That’s sure true across the board, i.e. the cancellation of Almost Human, Believe, Breaking In, Benched, Chaos, Common Law, Cupid, Detroit 1-8-7, Eli Stone, Flash Forward, Alphas, Human Target, Ironside, Journeyman, Lie To Me, Life, Life on Mars, Mind Games, My Own Worst Enemy, Person of Interest, Pushing Daisies, Terra Nova, Terriers, The Cape, The Glades, The Good Guys, The Neighbors, The Reaper, The Unusuals, and Trophy Wife, to name a few that broke this viewers heart.

39. I’m so sad that my favorite show has been canceled. I actually thought that when they showed a group of young people that knew everything about the machine and were helping the group carry out missions that they would pick up where Person of Interest left off when canceled. Why else would they insert them into the finale chapter ? Is it possible they do plan on introducing a show that picks up where it left off by another network ? Why else did they insert that group of people who knew everything and helping them save peoples lives _?? Why do you think they did that and has anyone else wondered the same thing ?