Castle Katic Fired Fillion Reaction

Castle's Nathan Fillion Breaks Silence on Stana Katic's Exit: 'She'll Be Missed'

Almost 24 hours after the news broke that ABC’s Castle would not be asking back Stana Katic for a possible Season 9, series star Nathan Fillion has offered his first thoughts on his leading lady’s exit.

“Stana has been my partner all this time, and I thank her for creating the character of Beckett,” the actor shared in a message posted to Twitter. “I wish her well, and have no doubt she will succeed in everything she pursues. She will be missed.”

As for the series’ unavoidably new incarnation should it be renewed for Season 9, Fillion wrote, “Castle has been one of the greatest joys of my creative life, and I hope the show continues in for years to come.”

In the more immediate wake of the casting shake-up, Castle costars Jon Huertas, Seamus Dever and Susan Sullivan each offered their knee-jerk reactions to the news, while Tamala Jones issued a statement on her own ouster. Series creator Andrew W. Marlowe meanwhile declared himself “heartbroken” over the chain of events.

Molly Quinn broke her silence overnight, to be reported on under separate cover.

Want scoop on Castle, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. ABG says:

They should cancel this show. I don’t watch but these cast changes never work. Won’t work with Sleepy Hollow either if they miraculously get a fourth season.

• GUSTAVO ALCALA says:

CHEMISTRY CAN BE FAKED!!! WILLIAM SHATNER AND LEONARD NIMOY DESPISED EACH OTHER ON STAR TREK!!!! JOAN COLLINS DESPISED LINDA EVANS ON DYNASTY!!!!! AND KATE JACKSON DESPISED FARRAH FAWCETT AND CHERYL LADD ON CHARLIES ANGELS!!!!! YET TENSION NEVER SHOWED ONSCREEN!!!!! ITS CALLED ACTING!!!!!!

• Linda Evans and Joan Collins? Didn’t their characters hate each other? (I never watched – I was a toddler back then — but it’s pop culture, y’know.) You mean Joan Collins and LInda Evans liked each other even though their characters were archenemies?

• Bob Wheeler says:

If Farrah and Kate were enemies during Charlie’s Angels, they must have patched things up because they were very close later, and Kate was one of the few people in Farrah’s inner circle that were with her just prior to her death.

• ? says:

Nathan better end the show while the internet still likes him. What’s starting to come out about this whole situation could damage his reputation beyond repair.

• Mike says:

You mean what people are just pulling out of their backsides with absolutely no proof other than their ‘gut feeling’?

• Annie says:

Yep. I guess it was a foregone conclusion, though, even if the multiple reports about his diva-like behavior and antagonism towards Katic aren’t true. We do tend to love to drag down those we put on a pedestal. Every “lovable” celebrity seems to get the inevitable backlash.

• Castlefan says:

I think that ship has sailed. I think he has too big an ego to realise how much he’s alienated a lot of people who used to like him.

• Julie says:

I agree 100% his ego is too big, not enough mirrors for him. And that’s too bad I really liked Nathan but not anymore. I lost respect for him.

• Deb Hicks says:

Oh, that just totally wraps it up and puts a bow on top!

Maybe we can have a “Beckett” spinoff?

• June Henry says:

I totally agree with you.

• Deb Hicks says:

Totally agree with you. I’m done with him.

• Deb Hicks says:

It’s a good thing they canceled the whole series. Beckett made Castle work. By himself, Fillion wasn’t all that interesting.

Stana was the light that made everyone shine a little brighter. Without Beckett, Lanie and Capt. Gates, the show had lost it’s shining stars.

And if he was as nasty & hateful to her as is being reported, shame on him. Did he learn nothing from “Moonlighting”?

The show really started losing me when they ruined the wedding.

I’ll put my money on Stana to come out of this on top ….. I knew who she was BEFORE Castle ….. I’d never heard of Fillion until Castle.

• hatterasman says:

“I’d never heard of Fillion until Castle.” Seriously? You must not watch much TV. Nathan Fillion has been in numerous TV series since the 1990’s, and has also been in movies, including Saving Private Ryan. He was the star of the series Firefly, and was a series regular in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. While it is indeed sad that the two actors could not get along on the set, they are certainly not the first actors working together to not get along, and they won’t be the last. Fillion is currently working on three different movies that are in production, so declaring that Stana Katic will “come out on top” vs Fillion is a bit ridiculous. Both will surely survive Castle and continue their acting careers since both were seasoned actors long before Castle.

• Deb Hicks says:

Totally agree. I know I’m done with him.

• Ted Kopulos says:

Cast changes never work? M*A*S*H went on for 9 seasons with three major cast changes and won numerous Emmys. CHEERS went on for 5-8 seasons (depending on which character replacement you count) and won numerous Emmys after two major cast changes. THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW survived losing Rhoda and Phyllis.

• Alana says:

The difference is that Castle from the very start was the ‘Castle and Beckett’ show with the rest of the ensemble as almost second-tier characters. When you take away half of the very core of that show what are you left with? Pretty much nothing.

• Patsy Shepherd says:

I have always loved the show…but as others have said it has always been Castle and Beckett…there is no one who can take her place and have the same kind of show we have loved all these past years. The chemistry they display together on the show is what has kept many of us watching week after week. I am sorry to see Kate leave and very sorry that the show will never be the same again.

• Leia says:

He’s gonna have to find a new muse good luck with that. How do you make a beloved person disappear. Do you kill them oh what a fantastic idea! Not!

• Wendy Fraser says:

I never considered this the “Castle and Beckett” show. I love the interaction between Castle, Ryan and Espisito – those 3 are hilarious!; and now that Alexis is older with a stronger role I think the future is very bright!

• Sal k says:

That’s the point right there.

• Donna Brandt says:

I totally agree

• Gina says:

That’s mash though. Lol. Castle is mostly about castle yes. But it won’t survive without Beckett. I guarantee it. Cuz castle is about both of them now. That’s like taking the show bones and getting rid of booth. It’s just not happening and the show still lasting Haha.

• Crystal says:

Charmed, went on to having 5 more successful seasons after they killed Prue, A Different wlWorld continued for 4 more seasons after Lisa left in my opinion it got better when she left. However it also depends the Game for example yeah it had more seasons but the shoe lost it’s spark after Melanie and Derwin left.

• Karie says:

Pru was only on a couple of seasons and I never thought the was very good any way. Castle started out mostly about him but now it is them.

• kate says:

true, major casting changes aren’t necessarily a death sentence, but the shows you’ve mentioned are 30-40+ years old. TV was very different in the 70s and 80s. shows could afford to do stuff like this because there were WAY fewer options to watch and they could afford to hold off canceling a show and work through the bumps of major casting changes, particularly on more ensemble oriented shows. even through the late 90’s and early 00’s, there were only about 100 channels on cable, not THAT many of them airing new or cutting edge content. there was no netflix, no hulu, etc. all that stuff means people will switch off something they dislike a lot faster. so is Castle automatically dead? no. but is this a good move? probably not. and even if it is, they may not get the time to find out.

• Tweet the show runners and ABC executives. Write to them. Do whatever you can to let them know they’re ruining the show by cutting out Stana.

• Ann says:

I àgree also

• The Squatch says:

First off, I don’t believe 90% of the people who immediately start in with the whole, “I’m never watching this show again!” diatribe. Sure they will.

Secondly, why should they cancel the show? You don’t like what they did and want to stop watching? Fine. Do so, as is your right. But plenty of people want and plan to continue watching this show next season despite any changes, Why should they be punished simply because you didn’t get your way?

To me, all of the people whining about this sound like the proverbial child who doesn’t get their way while playing a game so just takes their ball and goes home, ruining the game for everyone else.

• Wendy Fraser says:

I agree totally Squatch, change in inevitable and the show and remaining cast members deserve our support. I am excited to see where they will go with the show now!

• Marlene S Smith says:

Maybe you don’t keep your word but I do. When I said no more without Beckett,,, that’s exactly what I mean.

• LL624 says:

The ENTIRE reason I watch Castle is for Stana Katic. She has carried this show on her shoulders for several seasons. Nathan, who has never been able to carry a show as seen by his previous shows, can’t act his way out of a paper bag and he’s not the least bit funny. There’s only so many times that you can hear the same thing about a person before you believe it’s true so I believe he’s an *** and it’s his fault Stana’s losing her job. So you can believe me (and I’m pretty sure those other 90% are serious too) when I say I’m not watching anymore. I have friends who have already quit watching. People said they were quitting after last season too and you see how the ratings have dropped this season, so I don’t see why that’s so hard to believe. If Castle returns for s9, which I sincerely hope it doesn’t, the ratings will be on CW level, below a 1.0. They should quit while they’re ahead.

• GUSTAVO. ALCALA says:

CHEMISTRY CAN BE FAKED!!!! ITS CALLED ACTING!!!! CHARLIES ANGELS STARS KATE JACKSON AND FARRAH HAD LEGENDARY FEUD AS FARRAH STOLE KATES SPOTLIGHT ON ANGELS IN 1976 THEN FARRAH QUIT DUE TO FEUD IN 1977!!!! NEWCOMER CHERYL LADD AS FARRAH REPLACEMENT ALSO ECLIPSED KATE IN SEASON 2 OF ANGELS AND KATE QUIT AFTER SEASON 3 IN 1979!!!! CHARLIES ANGELS IS LEGENDARY FOR ITS GREAT CHEMISTRY !!!!! YET MOST CHARLIES. ANGELS ACTRESSES DESPISED EACH OTHER!!!! TENSION NEVER SHOWED ONSCREEN!!!!! THATS ACTING!!!!!!

• Deb Hicks says:

Totally…… I won’t be watching Sleepy Hollow if they don’t bring Abbeville back.

2. Brigid says:

He can’t control ABC and their decisions. I can’t imagine the show going on without Stana. I LOVE Fillion and have followed his career since One Life to Live, but as much as I know he can carry a show, I don’t want to watch this show without her.

• Marguerite Petrizzi says:

That’s kind of my reaction as well. I love him but the show won’t be the same.

Sure he can’t.
      He can’t put it in his contract that he and SK only work two days per episode.
      He can’t put it in his contract that other actors (MQ, SS last year, and now SD and JH) are secured.
      He can’t say that the first stipulation to contract negotiations is that they drop SK completely – again, first tried it last year and then this year.
      One of these days, hopefully soon, ABC’s capitulation to NF will bite them on the ass. But I’m not gonna hold my breath.

• Brigid says:

Oh please tell us all about their specific contracts. How do you have all this backstage information? Inquiring minds want to know?

• Just one thing says:

Welp, two of the little details in my comment above have already been verified by Nellie at TVLine’s sister site, Deadline – you know, the ones who initially broke this story?
          That would be Fillion’s protection of SD and JH and his request to only work with SK two days a week. I trust you can Google?
          This is like a house of cards, sister. Only a matter of time before everything comes tumbling down and certain fans will finally have to recognize what others have known all along.

• Just one thing says:

Oops, sorry. The SD/JH protection detail was revealed in THR.
            But, you know… What’s two respected media outlets in the grand scheme of things?

• Annie says:

Well said. I fully acknowledge my own bias against him which originated in The Bloggess/Reddit AMA kerfuffle, but nothing I’ve heard since has changed my mind, that’s for sure.

• clh says:

Because she’s the Diva

• clh says:

All tabloid BS, no facts.

THR was lying about:
          *Fillion securing Dever and Huertas during his own contract negotiations,
          * Fillion and Katic feuding,
          * ABC considering writing Beckett off the show this time last year.

And Deadline was lying about:
          * Fillion and Katic feuding
          * A clause in Fillion’s contract stipulating only two days per week with Katic

Okay. Sure thing.

• Julie says:

I am very sorry to see Stana Katic get written off the show. Stana is the whole package to the show, without her it’s really not worth watching. I bought all seven season of of Castle. I might or might not buy season eight, it’s still iffy. But I definitely will not be buying season nine or watch season nine. It will not be the same as the Beckett Team.

• Grand Finale says:

This is the person that believes anything that’s written on the internet. Beware of these people. They’ll fight you to the death.

• Just one thing says:

If that helps you sleep at night and worship the “Geek God” by day, so be it.

• Not true.

– If the lead actor doesn’t want the female lead gone she wouldn’t be gone. It’s that simple.

– Often times shows like this, where two characters spend so much time together, can be taxing. There have been rumors of the two fighting for years off camera.

– Let’s also not forget the infamous, “The show is called Castle, not Beckett” outburst that Nathan had. I wouldn’t have put it past him to sell the show to ABC on the fact that the only legitimate salary you would have to pay was his.

• Pamela Healy says:

This started last year already. We all deep down knew it was Stana’s last year. She has a family to think about. Jones I have no idea. Remember, it’s ABC’S loss and Katic’s & Jones gain. I wish them well !!!

• Just one thing says:

I don’t understand why people mention Stana’s marriage or family in this argument. That’s like saying, “Nathan Fillion will stay on a show he mildly tolerates because he’s in his 40s, and he’s got retirement to think about.”
          It’s silly.

• donna says:

As shows mature, it costs much more money per episode. Especially after the show has been sold into syndication.

Sometimes shows get cancelled; other times, people are cut. That’s not the lead actor’s business unless he says something like, “If she goes, then I go.” Why should he?

As for feuding, it’s not uncommon. That’s when the professionalism comes in (or not).

• Just one thing says:

How about more like, “If she doesn’t go, I go?”
          ABC is setting a crazy precedent negotiating with an actor on such an expensive, old show that doesn’t even have the benefit of critical acclaim.
          Clearly they’re desperate for both a procedural and syndication money. Hope those extra 13 episodes are worth it. (Unless they’re angling for some huge, long-term deal with Netflix or something….)

• Barabara says:

I read that after her marriage she said that she wanted to quit the show.

• Just one thing says:

One could say that because Duh Fillz is a serial bachelor, he’ll never quit this easy cash cow because it gives him steady income to treat the ladies.
          It’s all rather irrelevant. The fixation on Katic’s marriage and personal life choices – and how they supposedly play into her professional decisions – continue to bug.

3. robbie says:

that’s not how partnerships work, bud. partners fight for one another. he didn’t use any of his leverage to keep her on as his partner. he is showing zero respect for the creators of the show and their artistic vision. the majority of the fans are there for the both of them together, not just him. this is a shame.

• DV says:

So basically what you are saying is that if you are getting fired from your job, you expect your boss or your coworker to threaten to quit as well if you don’t get to stay? Yeah, good luck with that.

• GTO says:

Im not saying Fillion is guilty here, but many actors have teamed up multiple times when they renegotiate contracts. That’s a very prevalent thing in Hollywood. Given S&N arent really friends, it doesnt come as a surprise that they didnt though.

All in all the ultimate decision that ABC took sucks.

• Susan Smith says:

There are some rumblings he may not be that unhappy she is leaving. HOLLYWOOD REPORTER said that Fillion was Urging ABC to RENEW Seamus and Jon’s contracts. If that is true well it speaks for itself does it not

• Mary says:

I don’t think Nathan has that much clout with ABC. Quite frankly with her gone I don’t see this show improving in the ratings. She probably doesn’t even want to be back that is why she only signed a year contract. Hate to break it to Nathan but the dynamics of the show is them together not him alone. In fact I think this year was a test for me Castle hasn’t been the same. It is time for the show to be cancelled.

• Jenny says:

According to reports in various columns Nathan was in early negotiation with ABC buy himself and did not include other cast members for Castle to be written as the PI and didn’t need Stana . Review today, that he would not sign a contract with out jon and Semus. Fits the Episode 18-Backstabber

• Entirely different situation. Yes, if I worked at McDonald’s I would have no leverage if I threaten to quit if they go through firing another minimum wage employee.

If I am the star player on a football team I could do it. If I am the top salesman in the office I would have that clout. If the show is based on me I would have that pull.

• PatriciaLee says:

Russell Crowe told a future star when he was a young fan, “They treat you like s…, but the pay is good.” That was AFTER Gladiator. Bosses tell you what they want, somehow, before a conversation. So, it’s on board or walk the plank, too.

• Hilarous says:

How do you know all this??? Are you on the Psychic Network with special insight into ABC contract negotiations?

• Miriam Maurer says:

What leverage is that ? I quit ? That would not get him anything but fired .

4. Jim says:

This is a BS statement written by some publicist! Love Nate, but he should walk away unless they bring Stana and Tamala back.

• percysowner says:

Because he owes no loyalty to the rest of the cast and crew who will be out of a job if he walks? A show employs many people and he may want to let them continue to have jobs.

• Chris Leonardi says:

Because screw the hundred of people who would be out of a job if he did that right?

• msble says:

What about the people that will be out of a job if the show gets canceled because of this crazy decision? He could fight a little harder for both of them but esp Stana and know that fans of that show want to continue with both leads.

• Katherine215 says:

Those same people will get jobs on the new pilot that would likely replace Castle on Monday’s at 10/9c. And if that show’s a success, they would have years of work. This idea that they have to keep the show running for the crew is ridiculous. Shows end and crews are out of a job. As unfortunate as that is, that’s the nature of the industry.

• Annie says:

If he was really worried about the crew he would have figured out a way to continue working with Stana in the tried and true format for Castle. There are too many stories popping up that he wanted her out.

• Mary says:

I wouldn’t believe everything you hear but if that is true he better be careful what he wish for, because I don’t see this ending well for him either. Castle is nothing without Beckett as the ratings have shown this year. Many of the shows haven’t centered around them but him off on his own and how have the ratings been?

• Marguerite Petrizzi says:

This is the real world. Trust me, people don’t quit when co-workers are let go for any reason. If you were fired tomorrow, would your co-workers quite in solidarity? I kind of doubt it.

• Christina says:

We’re not saying he should quit, we’re saying ABC should cancel the show. It’s clear Nathan didn’t care at all about Stana in this situation, and did nothing to keep her on the show. The heart of Castle was “a writer and his muse.” Nathan got sick of the muse, but I for one watched the show in large part because of her. I don’t expect Nathan to show any kind of solidarity with her – he made his choice on that last year.

• Gern Blanston says:

But, why should he have to care about her? They are coworkers. Just because they portray a couple on TV doesn’t mean that they have to feel anything even remotely positive towards each other in real life. I agree that I would rather see the show cancelled than a season 9 without Katic, but why do you and others have this unrealistic need for Fillion to care about Katic?

• Annie says:

He doesn’t need to care about her, just be a professional and work with her to keep the show successful, or at the very least not shove her out the door.

• Gern Blanston says:

He has worked with her though. Both of them were total professionals, as far as we know, once the camera started rolling. He’s not the one shoving her out the door, ABC is. They are the ones that are not asking her back. It was reported other places that ABC didn’t even want her back this year for monetary reasons.

• Annie says:

And it is being widely reported that he wanted her gone before he would consider signing on for a season 9. Bury your head in the sand but the truth is getting out and it doesn’t paint a picture of a professional Fillion.

• Gern Blanston says:

That has nothing to do with whether or not he was professional. Being professional is working with the people that you have to work with. If he truly hates working with her and he can find a way to keep working with her gone then why shouldn’t he? This has nothing to do with his professionalism. As long as he acts with her when the script calls for it is all that matters and he has done that. You don’t want him to be a professional, you want him and her to best friends. You want him to be some knight in shining armor and stick up for her to ABC. Its not his responsibility to take up for her.

• ChellemaBelle says:

First, a little surprised how much the trolls are trying to take down one actor for decisions that MAY (but most likely are not) in his control. Seriously, even if he were behind the whole thing, he doesn’t deserve to be tarred and feathered. Also- it was stated early on that Castle had other muses (including a previous wife) before Beckett. Would be interested in seeing where it goes, especially since the “love story” has been as inspiring as a balloon with a slow leak.

• He refused to sign for the serenity movie until his coworkers signed a better deal than the one Fox offered.
        He refusing to sign if Seamus & Jon don’t have a contract, but Stana who?
        I mean i can understand he don’t put a scene on Tamala, they had her in show less and less for seasons, but Stana is Half of show. IF you don’t realize that it’s because your ego is out of control.
        And I love NAthan, since way before Castle. Actually he’s the reason I tuned in. But this? This make me doubt I saw him wrong and maybe I idealized him too much.

5. JBC says:

Castle can survive without Beckett. This relationship ran it’s course. Looking forward to seeing a revamp if they get a Season 9.

• msbrewski says:

I was on the verge of dropping it from my viewing after this season, as much as I love Nathan Fillion, but now I’m looking forward to seeing what they do next season.

• Jenks says:

I totally agree, even if it is the minority opinion. This is deja vu all over again: fans screamed bloody murder when Patrick Dempsey left Grey’s Anatomy, and the show has been better this season than it has been in years. I found the whole Castle Loc-Sat story line completely ridiculous and the Castle/Beckett relationship died on the vine. That’s not SK’s fault, it’s the way the show is written, but that’s just the reality of it. Nathan Fillion is Castle and I would give a revamped show a chance.

• Joanne says:

No it can’t. I will not watch anymore.

6. Kris says:

I think it took him the whole day yesterday to think of this statement…and lol, i was expecting him to misspell Beckett(e).

• Audrey says:

I was too! But then again, probably his publicist wrote this for him. 8 seasons of collaboration and he can only muster 4-5 sentences of shallow words? Please, my 8th grade yearbook book has better comments.

• Tony says:

The guy still has a job and probably didn’t want to to ruffle anyone’s feathers. I don’t blame him for being short and too the point, whomever actually wrote it.

• Kris says:

Haha and i would’t be surprised if he writes another note about TJ’s departure and it’s more heartfelt than SK’s.

And to people who are saying that the cast/crew are depending on NF for jobs..are they gonna depend on him forever…? Please start looking for a job elsewhere as well. You’re working in the TV industry, how stable can your job be..?

• Just one thing says:

While I would bet he knew about Katic, he probably didn’t expect ABC to boot Jones too.
          I wouldn’t be surprised if he tries to get her back at recurring. He’s gotta keep that hero image going.

• Kris says:

Hm..He might but probably won’t. It would send a really bad image to the fans when he backs TJ and not SK.

I’m actually pretty disappointed in JH and SD…especially after reading the articles from THR, Deadline and USWeekly…they say they’re good friends with SK but they’ve obviously taken sides and accepted this kind of behavior from NF towards SK…Sigh. It’s all about the $$$/job security.

• mazel tov says:

Totally agree with Kris and Audrey. It took him or his publicist 24 hours to come up with these meaningless words. After 8 years with Katic this is the best he can do. Castle without Becket is a non-starter. Did not even watch last nigh’e episode and erased it from the DVR.

• Dr. Enie says:

The publicist surely wrote the cold piece. He obviously doesn’t have the balls to be grateful for her partnership that gave him the plus factor. He lost much of his appeal this year with the huge weight gain that made him look older and less sexy. Whereas SK is super sexy and an outstanding actress, although NF is a very good actor.
        Of course the old boys club reigned, look who got let go. It is sad, I have watched the show from the beginning. Now there is no show and my loyalty is against ABC! Good luck and best wishes, Stana!💕 Dr. Enie

• MMD says:

Too little too late.

7. eviloverlore says:

OK, so Nathan has drank the “Castle can go on without Beckett” Kool-aid. I can’t blame him for that. We are talking about hundreds of thousands in residuals over the course of his life for even one more season, and no one knows better than Nathan that you might never catch the lightning of a hit show in a bottle again.

I’m sad for Rick, happy for Nathan to have another season, and will punish ABC’s misogyny by not watching further Castle seasons and not picking up new shows from it again for another 4 or 5 or more years, something I have done before with ABC. I am getting more and more picky about what shows I pick up in this overflowing TiVO age. Eliminating a whole network is just fine with me.

• FormerCastleFan says:

Personally I think Nathan stirred and poured the Castle 🏰 Kool-Aid and forced others to drink. IMO he is delusional if he thinks the show will continue for years without Stana/Beckett. The only reason the show has lasted as long as it has was because of the lightning in bottle that happened when he worked with Stana. Honestly, I think his track record shows that he doesn’t have what it takes to carry a show on shoulders alone.
      I will no longer watch Castle 🏰 on ABC, TNT or any other channel…the magic is gone. I too have boycotted ABC before and will do so again. I have no interest in watxhing any program offered by this misogynistic network.

• Just one thing says:

“OK, so Nathan has drank the ‘Castle can go on without Beckett’ Kool-aid.”
      Are you kidding? Fillion’s the ORIGINATOR of that particular flavor. Cultivated and brewed the drink himself and has been passing it around like a damn lemonade vendor at a baseball game – no charge.

• Audrey says:

If only more people come to realize this, JOT. The tracks are all there.

• Just one thing says:

The last two years have been a classic of deliberate blindness by rose-colored glasses and tunnel vision. Amazing.

• Castlefan says:

Even if you only look at the episodes and the latest tweets, ignoring all other sources, I think Nathan’s attitude is quite obvious.

• Viv says:

I’m sorry, I know I shouldn’t, but I just can’t help it – can you all hear yourselves? It’s a television show we watch once a week (and yes, I’ve watched it from the beginning), it’s not real life. I’m actually embarrassed for you – you all sound like a group of petulant teenagers – you need to grow up. For the record I think Stana Kadic is a brilliant actress who will go onto bigger and better things. I have, however, steadily grown to dislike Kate Beckett, she is selfish, self-absorbed and emasculates Richard Castle at almost every opportunity. The new writers seem to have no idea on how to portray a happily married couple, and I should image that Stana is quite relived to leave the show. If there is a season 9 and it includes Rick, Kevin, Javier, Alexis, Martha and Hayley, I’m certainly prepared to watch the first few episodes and make my judgement then.

• PatriciaLee says:

I’m with you on those in charge derailing the Beckett character. It just wasn’t fun watching her on the screen anymore.

8. Suzanne zimmerman says:

Very careful wording. Well it’s always been rumored that they don’t have the best of relationships off screen. I’m glad he finally spoke up. It would have been douchey not to. I’ve been steadily losing interest with the show since castles disappearance in his wedding day (because a shows never done THAT before). I hate it for the 400 employed individuals on the show but for me #nostananocastle

• Brandi says:

I’ve read that too. Makes a person think doesn’t it? All rumors and stuff, we’ll never know the truth about. But how can the powers that be possibly think this is going to work. They may get a season 9 but I don’t think it will last past that.
      I kept watching after the wedding episode, but that was such a stunt with no pay off I started losing interest. Then when they separated them at the beginning of this season I stopped watching after 2 episodes.
      If the rumors are true, then shame on those two leads for not keeping it together and ruining their show. It was a show about them.

9. Alex says:

Lol sounds kinda lame. I hope, I really do that he at least had the decency to say something better than that to her in private. And of course now he wants Castle to keep going for years.

10. Alex says:

Lol sounds kinda lame. I hope, I really do that he at least had the decency to say something better than that to her in private.And of course now he wants Castle to keep going for years.

11. RDA says:

Ive always loved Nathan and Stana individually and i will be eternally grateful for their work together in creating one of greatest couples on TV ever.
    I havent cared much for their bts drama because i never felt it on the show but recently it seems like has been the reason for a lot of the messes on Castle. Whatever the truth, we’ll never really know, i just find it very sad and disappointing. I also just find it a bit sad that this it is what took him to acknowledge her on social media in a complimentary way for the first time in many years.

Additionally i get there are jobs involved with shows so wishing cancellation is a never the best thing. But i wish Nathan and ABC could for once recognize what made this show tick. Clearly they do not. Now my only hope is given the backlash ABC decides not to renew because honestly a Beckett-less Castle is not worth it.

Its just sad that they cant honor such a great show’s legacy in the right way.

If in case s9 does happen, my only hope is that Beckett is not written off by getting killed. Please at least give Castle and Beckett some shot at a happy ending. This fandom never agreed on anything much but im sure we all agree that we all wanted a happy ending for Caskett. :'( Even that’s too much to hope for, i guess.

Bad move ABC. You are destroying the legacy of your 2nd longest running show on air. No wonder ABC’s overall ratings are tanking. Shows and actors do not deserve to be butchered like you are planning to do with Castle right now.

12. Lysh says:

She will be missed, but probably not by him. I love this show but ending each episode going off to the bedroom is getting old and trying to avoid scenes together is obvious even to me. I hope they ride off into the sunset together on their motorcycles and then the show ends on a nice note.

• Joanna says:

Thank you! The only thing left in their relationship is sex.

• Joey says:

Now that is a good way to end this wonderful love story. Now remember ABC is for equal pay for women so the first thing they do to save money is fired two women. Looks like they are talking out a both sides of there mouth.

• Mycastleforever says:

Waltons always ended the same way. But I do agree, it was obvious they didn’t want to be together. For two offscreen actors who seemed to like each other early in the shows history, one has to wonder what happened.

13. DV says:

I love Castle and NCIS posts. Brings out all the crazies. I swear they write better fiction about behind the scenes stuff that no matter what they believe, they don’t know anything about then what’s actually showing up on the show.

• Suzanne says:

Neither do you.

• Gern Blanston says:

I’ve often wondered if the behind the scenes speculating for Castle is along the same lines as the behind the scenes speculating about Gilmore Girls during its run. People believed all of the same things about Scott Patterson and Lauren Graham that they say about Fillion and Katic now. When the show ended it came out that Patterson and Graham got along okay. They were friendly, but they looked at each other as coworkers and not all coworkers have to be buddy-buddy all of the time. But, the fact that they weren’t the greatest friends ever meant that they hated each other according to the internet rumor mill.

• Castlefan says:

I think we’re basing the assumptions on such matters as Nathan storming off the set, Nathan complaining about the show being called Castle not Beckett, Nathan reminding people that he’s number one on the call sheet, Nathan refusing to acknowledge Stana in tweets and interviews while she’s always pleasant about him, and Nathan apparently thinking the show can do without its female lead. There are plenty of credible sources for all these if you bother to look.

No one seems to have a problem with Stana except Nathan and (possibly) sycophant Quinn – who incidentally confirmed the storming off set incident. None of us know any of the people involved, but if you bother to look at the evidence from multiple sources there is no sign that Stana has ever behaved at all unprofessionally and lots of evidence that Nathan is a jealous, egotistical diva.

I didn’t want to dislike him – thought he was great in the early seasons – but for the last few years Nathan ‘s behaviour and attitude, even on the DVD extras, has unfortunately led me to that place.

14. JImN says:

A lovely sentiment by the PR person. You have to wonder how Stana will be missed and by whom.

• Just one thing says:

I’d imagine she will be missed by those crew members who have tweeted lovely things with and about her for multiple seasons.
      I’d imagine Jon Huertas and Seamus Dever will miss her, but would’ve missed a steady paycheck a lot more. It’s likely no coincidence that they were all up Fillion’s keister for the last year.
      I highly doubt Fillion, Sullivan, Quinn or Toxic will lose any sleep over the matter.
      Nice sanitized statement by the PR peeps though.

• Audrey says:

Surely not by him. He’s busy deciding what to do with all the money Castle s9 will be bringing to him.

• Just one thing says:

Sounds about right. No time to give proper credit to his co-star of eight seasons. He’s simply too busy.

15. c-mo says:

I feel so bad about all of this drama and horrendous PR that ABC has brought upon this former gem of a show. Generally, when an employer chooses to let go of an employee of two, it really only affects the families and immediate coworkers. Well this time the employer is affecting their very loyal fan base, an entire production of 400+ people and their families. Of every comment I’ve read, and I’ve read thousands, not even a fraction of them have anything good to say about this move. I feel like ABC wants to rid their schedule of anything that hints of witty, fun and smart and prefers the formulaic drama of Shonda. I don’t like Shonda or any of her shows, if I wanted to watch crazy people, I’d watch KUWTK. I said it before, at least the writers from HIMYM waited until the series finale to give the fans the finger, ABC chose to do that even before the series finale…which it will be now.

16. Eran says:

Get real, everyone! First of all, it is painstakingly obvious that this is a lip service-y, publicist’s release. But even if it wasn’t, honestly…with the axe dropping left, right and centre around you, would you seriously give the executioner lip?

17. geordie boy jimbo says:

NO STANA NO SHOW castle season nine will lose its appeal along with ratings SIMLPLE BRING BACK STANA KATIC!!!

18. M. says:

Looks like he’s willing to go on with the show (and I’m pretty sure that this means season 9 is coming), but I’m deeply disappointed that he isn’t willing to stand up for his co-star.

He hopes the show goes on!? But how? Without Stana it won’t be the show I used to love.
    And I’m actually not interested to see what they’ll try to make of this once fantastic show.

ABC, if you were trying to find out how to lose fans, yesterday’s stunt is exactly how it’s done.

19. Demi says:

Good for him and at least he acknowledge her this time, but this show really think they can pull a Grey’s Anatomy and come back and be better? Did the first half of season 8 not teach them anything? Who checked the numbers and decided that this show can go on without Stana, it was never an ensemble so I don’t know how their math work and they decided this was ok. Anyway, my hope is that they don’t kill her character at the end of the season, give it a happy ending so that people like us that aren’t coming back can at least be happy with that.

• Ann Gill says:

I couldn’t agree more if they kill her off god help ABC PR Dept, what i can’t understand why now why not release statement at season end

20. Julie says:

I think Nathan’s statement is a bunch of BS. If he really valued her and their partnership, he would have told ABC that he wouldn’t do a season 9 without her but no, he comes out publicly and says he won’t do a season 9 without Jon and Seamus. Way to fight for your partner dude! I am done with Castle at the end of season 8. With Stana gone as Beckett, there really is no draw for me to watch it anymore. This year they have excluded her from two episodes completely and her screen time has been far less that most fans have liked. This show started as a story about a writer and his muse fighting crime and falling in love. We didn’t watch the show for the procedural aspect of it, we watched it for the Caskett love story. Without Stana, there is no Beckett, without Beckett, there is no Castle which in turn equals me not watching anymore. I will support this until the end of the season to watch Stana grace the small screen as Beckett to honor her hard work for 8 seasons as my favorite fictional character of all time. She will be missed…and when I say that, I actually truly mean it. Can’t wait to see what projects she gets involved in now that her days on Castle are done.

• Viv says:

Julie, they didn’t exclude her from two episodes. Stana was so late signing her contract that she was committed to finishing filming elsewhere, so those episodes were written without her

21. bshaid says:

Castle’s comment is cold. Just cancel the whole thing…

22. I’ve never watched the show but that statement came across as very impersonal to me.

23. If Nathan Fillion wants to continue with ABC he should suggest CASTLE be ended and start fresh.

24. dgniewek says:

Not going to watch without the Castle Beckett couple

25. maryd says:

Again, hate to see Stana leave. It’s a tough business & sucks to lose a favorite character. I hope the show is renewed and will support it. Renewal means a lot of behind the scenes people get to keep their jobs to support their families. Be happy for them! When my favorite ball team trades one of my favorite players, I don’t stop rooting for the team. Be a fan during the hard times too!

• Joey says:

should you be pulling the blame where it belongs. ABC for letting the show writers and runners produce a very bad product. If 400 people are out of work blame ABC they could have done one more season with better show runners and let the fans who have been around since March 2009 down a little bit easier. For ABC just to treat the fans like crab is really bad. You think they would of learned something after Grey’s anatomy. And just to turn around and give stana a pink slip for a birthday present is about as low as you can go.

26. 'Lesley Ford says:

I always loved this show, right up till they got married. From then on it started on a downhill slide for me. If they get another season, I think that will be their last one.

27. Laura says:

His publicist knows how to write, I’ll give him that.

28. Allie says:

Reading the @’s to his tweet, I think he is getting a pretty clear picture of this crazy notion of “continues for years to come”. Must be hard pill to swallow thinking you are the reason people are watching your show and turning out that is not the case. He doesn’t want to hear it. He is blocking anyone who says they won’t watch, even if said respectfully.

29. Sue says:

Castle should be given a feel good finale to end Season 8 out of respect for a great cast and crew who delighted fans for 7 seasons. End it on a high.

30. gretchen thad says:

Have you ever worked in a place where everyone got along all the time? I haven’t but that didn’t stop us for doing our jobs. And if it did interfere with work, the person who got let go was generally the one causing the problem or the one deemed least valuable to the company. That’s how life works. But I have also worked in places where good people got let go for financial reasons. We don’t know what happened. And I don’t think the whole cast and crew should be put out of work because someone decided to let Stana go.
    I can’t imagine Castle without Beckett but I couldn’t imagine Sam without Diane and that worked out okay. Life goes on, especially for the hundreds of people at Castle who may still have a job.

31. Jean Ruecker says:

This change was probably not a big shock to Stana. They were obviously trying different ways to make the show work without her. She as much as said last year, by delaying her sign-up, that she didn’t want to go on. I don’t know if Nathan and Stana didn’t get along or not. Many stars don’t like their co-worker and still make it look real on-screen. I think they did that but the writers and producers chose to part them to shake things up. Bad move then and now. This is a sad ending for what was a terrific show.

• Susan Smith says:

She signed in MAY .She had to wait for Nathan to sign.After carrying the show for a couple of years IF she hesitated It was more than like she waited equal pay.There is no show without Beckett. She DESERVED Equal Pay.Hllywood Reporter said in an article yesterday Nathan was Urging ABC to RENEW Seamus and Jon’s contracts.

32. Ethel says:

I’m a Nathan fan but even I think this is pretty lame and written by a publicist. He does not have any control over what the network does but geesh, could have been a little more from the heart. He will not be invited to my next birthday party!!

33. CJ says:

I canceled the series pass on my DVR after yesterday’s news. Castle has been a bit of a chore to watch for the last few years but now even more so. I just don’t see the point in it continuing on past this season, especially without two such beloved characters. I’m sad for everyone whose heart is still with this show because seeing this mess unfold is disappointing to say the least.

34. abbyrose says:

this is crazy! why not just end it instead of completely alienating their fans to squeeze out another few years?!! man. TV is such BS.

35. jill says:

Im done watching “Castle”

36. Mercedes says:

Well, it’s easy to say that if there is a season 9, it will be the last season for Castle. It’s a Shame and disappointing

37. Manuel Schuster says:

I hate to see Stana and Tamala going away. I don’ t watch CASTLE without them

38. Beth Daniels says:

Nathan, I like you as Rick Castle and I love the show, however, now that Stana( Kate) and Tamala( Lanie) are no longer on the show, I can honestly say that if there is a Season 9 for Castle I will not watch it. Now with that being said, if the powers that be were to bring her back as Kate then I would start watching the show again.

39. Bob Wheeler says:

I actually think Fillion may be the villain here. While I think Tamala’s dismissal was finance based, I am not as convinced that is the sole reason for Stana’s. It has been leaked several times over the past few years that NF was less than thrilled with sharing the spotlight with his co-star, whose star has brightened as the show has evolved. It is just my opinion, but her removal may have been a condition of his to return. I do not buy into the rhetoric he is expressing here. His fingerprints are all over this development, and it is likely going to backfire on him.

• Matt says:

Financially it does help the show though and quite frankly there is virtually zero chance Stana would have come back for a 9th season no matter what they offered. Stana has wanted off the show for a couple of years now and almost did not commit to season 8 so I really don’t see a big conspiracy with Nathan forcing her out.

I am all for a spin off with Nathan and the others I just think out of respect they should change the name.

• Susan Smith says:

Matt you Don’t know she wanted Off the show.No one has every quoted her as saying that or even rumblings she wanted out.She said she would stay as long as the integrity of show and her character were intact.They did everything they could to degrade her and have her act Out of Character.The show is a shadow of itself.More than likely she wanted Equal Pay since she is just as big if not a bigger draw on Castle.I like what Bob Wheeler said ,that Stana being fired may have been a condition for Nathan’s return. You would be surprised how many people think that is true.The new Show Runners did everything they could to put her in a corner and lessen her.A lot of us thought they were purposely driving her away so she wouldnt want to renew her contract for next year.In a sense they did.Except she wasn’t even given a choice was she

• Ann Gill says:

Stana should have walked away @ end of s7 like she wanted to at least she would have gone out on her terms and if the show finished then so be it and the fans would have been happy with last scene, but she came back for her fans, cast and crew, and now she has just been pushed out the door, its a shame it had to end this way and i think ABC should put the rest of the, cast & crew out of their misery and tell them one way or the other

• John NYC says:

How does Tamala make financial sense? Given her small screen time and relatively low cast status she had to have been earning a relatively small salary compared to the show’s overall budget.

There’d be far simpler ways to make up that sort of small change.

• Susan Smith says:

Hmmmm ya may be on to something

• percysowner says:

I don’t know that there is a villain here. We know that Stana was the last to resign last year. We know that this season was written so Beckett and Castle barely interacted. We know that fans did not like the separation between Castle and Beckett. We have reports that Nathan and Stana didn’t get along. With Stana holding out last season it seems somewhat likely that the demand to have minimal time sharing scenes was a demand on her part. It also seems likely that no matter who asked for/demanded the reduced shared screen time, it didn’t work as an ongoing story.

I have no idea of what went on BTS. It may have been the “fault” of one or both of the stars. It may simply have been a personality conflict that was no one’s fault. The production team seems to have decided that keeping both stars wasn’t going to work and couldn’t be worked around story wise. When a show is named Castle that automatically give preference to the actor playing Castle. This is true in any show. If there had been cast conflicts on Gilmore Girls (just an example, not based on anything reported) then the character who was a Gilmore Girl won by default.

It’s also true that women are more vulnerable to being replaced then men. It’s completely unfair, but also a fact. Add this to the fact that negotiations with Stana were complex last year and the producers made a call. It may have been a bad call, but they made it. If the show is renewed we will see how it affects ratings. I expect it to affect them negatively and I think fans are deeply unhappy.

In any case, I don’t blame Nathan for expressing confidence that “the show will go on” and that it can succeed. Until it’s canceled, he owes it to the show and the rest of cast and crew to stay upbeat about the prospects. Somewhere out there are interviews stating that the cast of (insert show that failed utterly) read the script, saw potential and were sure it would find its niche.

His press release didn’t show any warmth for Stana, but it’s likely he didn’t feel any and didn’t want to give fans any reason to think he would push to get her back.

• donna says:

I agree with you. There’s a lot of people here who seem to know what certain people are thinking and/or the network’s many moves.

Also, to think a star of a show deserves equal pay than another star is absurd. First – who was Stana before “Castle”? She had nowhere near the fan base of Nathan. Even now, eight years later, unless there was a “favored nations” clause added in their (or especially HER) contracts, they still wouldn’t have the same pay. Since Nathan began at a higher salary, why would Stana make as much as him now?

If there’s a season 9, I’m going to continue watching Castle. I like all of the actors. Also, frankly, it’s the only show I still watch on ABC besides “The View”.

• Disappointed says:

He may have been the bigger name when the show started, like Boreanz was with Bones, but I would guess that as many, if not more people tune in for her now so whether his personal fanbase is bigger than hers should be irrelevant when it comes to the show, and therefore there should be more equanimity in their pay. And on that other show they have negotiated jointly for some time as the bigger star recognised that his initially unknown co-star had become just as important as him. Pity we didn’t see that magnaminity on Castle.

40. James R. says:

The people on this comment section that go straight to blaming Nathan Fillion for something that’s out of control is hilarious, but the people who think that he should just threaten to do something radical unless they bring Stana Katic back is probably the single most absurd thing I’ve ever read. And then there’s the complaints about his comments…… real friends don’t make their feelings/thoughts public. They tell them to the person in private and it stays that way. Grow up people.

• Brigid says:

Wow, the only intelligent comment here. I love that they make all of this stuff up inside their heads. People have no proof of anything. How do we know that she isn’t the difficult one and ABC didn’t want to go through another difficult negotiation with her? We don’t know. I get being upset that Stana won’t be on the show, but attacking Nathan when you have nothing to base it on is childish and ignorant.

• Susan Smith says:

And yet the Hollywood Reporter saind in an article yesterday Nathan is Urging ABC to Renew Seamus and Jon’s contracts.

41. Christina says:

If only this seemed genuine.

• Maybe he is doing so cayuse he doesnt wanna do a 9th season with all newbies which is what I think ABC is mulling. NF is in the middle of a muli-year contract with ABC. If he walks, they will sue him .

• Julie says:

He signed a one year deal last year just like Stana did. He needs to just man up and let the show end now instead of releasing some BS PR statement that he will miss Stana and pressuring ABC to keep Seamus and Jon for a season 9 that WILL NOT be Castle. Maybe he should have taken a pay cut to bring the whole cast back for a proper end to this fan favorite.

42. zurph says:

After this news, I’m hoping we can get back to a show that is about the investigation of crime with a writer who brings a bit of humor to the seriousness of police work.

43. Phillip says:

Seems kind of cold, no? Also, they should seriously cancel it. It hasn’t been good for a few years now. I basically watch it now for some sense of loyalty but it’s honestly a chore to watch.

44. Mike says:

Have they wrapped up filming for the year? If they haven’t that’s got to be weird trying to fillm the rest of the season, knowing at least two won’t be back.

45. Jane says:

Honestly, was there anything he could have said, other than I quit too, that would have made most of you happy. He isn’t stupid. He isn’t going to alienate ABC or the others associated with it. He also doesn’t want 400 other people to lose their jobs. For those of you saying oh they would just get new ones on other production companies. Most of the shows that are going to be on next season already have crews that taped the pilots or are already taping. Also, how many of you would quit your jobs, without having another one, if someone you work with was let go? She was his partner on the show not in real life. I guarantee you she would be saying the same thing if the opposite had happened and he had been let go. This has always been a so-so show for me so I don’t really care what happens to it but some of you really need to start thinking about how the real world works, not how things work on TV shows.

46. George H. says:

Looks like a publicist wrote that.. oh wait, probably did.

47. vickieb. says:

I hope Nathan Fillion and Molly Quinn will be happy on their new show!!!! LOL! If anybody decides to watch it.

48. “Castle would not be asking back Stana Katic for a possible Season 9”

I volunteer as tribute!!! Just shoot now. Dang.

49. Plecodave says:

There has been many a rumor about the working relationship between Stana and Nathan. For now they will remain rumors until someone spills the beans. Eventually secrets or untold truths have a way of seeing the light of day in Hollywood. ABC can spin the reasons why both Stana and Tamala were let go but it’s past damage control at this point. In my opinion Dungey was brought in to do the dirty work that Paul Lee didn’t finish. As for Nathan Fillion he will always have FireFly,Comic Con and animated voice parts!

50. Alicia Morrell says:

Seemed a little generic and not very heartfelt.