Castle Ratings Stana Katic Fired

Ratings: Castle Ticks Down in Wake of Stana Katic Departure News

ABC Castle this Monday drew 5.86 million total viewers and a 1.0 rating (per finals) in the wake of the Stana Katic/Tamala Jones exit news blowing up the Internet, marking the bubble drama’s smallest audience since March 7 and down a tenth in the demo week-to-week.

Opening ABC’s night, Dancing With the Stars‘ elimination-less partner-swap (11 mil/1.6) slipped 12 and 20 percent.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

CBS | Bubble drama Supergirl‘s finale (6.1 mil/1.3) added a handful of eyeballs while steady in the demo. Scorpion (8.4 mil/1.5) delivered its smallest audience ever while down a tenth in the demo. NCIS: LA (7.8 mil/1.2) drew its second-smallest audience of the season while down a tenth in the demo.

FOX | Gotham (3.7 mil/1.2) held onto its series lows, while Lucifer (3.81 mil/1.3) rose to its best numbers since March 7.

NBC | The Voice (10.1 mil/2.2) and Blindspot (5.5 mil/1.3) each dipped a tenth, with the latter returning to its series low.

THE CW | The already renewed Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (820K/0.3) ticked up with its finale, while Jane the Virgin (960K/0.4) dipped a tenth.

1. Court says:

Not the least bit surprised that the numbers slipped down in light of the news that Stana and Tamala won’t be back.

• wakey says:

It slipped a tenth, pretty much everything but Lucifer dipped a tenth. When everything dips then its not really a dip, certainly doesn’t suggest people stopping watching because of SK not having her contract renewed

• ABG says:

If anything, people will tune to see what her exit story is going to be. That said, If renewed I expect the show to die a quick death next season.

• Annie says:

Yep. Once the wider audience knows that Beckett won’t be part of the show I expect the numbers to drop quickly next year.

• MK- BC says:

I am a huge fan of Firefly and will give anything Nathan Fillion does a try- I became a fan of the duo- and I don’t like the fact that they are pulling Beckett out – They did survive the “Moonlighting Curse” and have a chance at a great exit story for the whole series. I will not watch the new season if there is one.

• Annie says:

Literally the only thing that surprised me is that the numbers weren’t lower.

• rowan77 says:

The reality of the ratings is that one person with a Nielsen box didn’t watch last night. That’s it. They could have had a date last night (which is other shows are down in the overnights as well). They could have worked late. They could have been having sex instead. One person is not a revolution. Now if the trend continues and there’s a significant dip in the following weeks, then multiple people are making a statement. But one, little, 1/10th dip in the overnights? Meh.

2. Boiler says:

Yet still better than other renewed ABC dramas. Of course now it doesn’t matter as new show next year. Still can’t believe a woman network head let this happen to one of its most popular network leads

• Susan Smith says:

That is the audience getting their last glimpses of Stana Katic and Tamala Jones.Next Season will very likely be a bust without Stana.

• e. says:

I’m not looking to start a fight but Stana Katic is far from one of the most popular female network leads. She has had fantastic success (and well deserved) on this show but a look at her appearances in other things is mostly an exersize in “I never heard of that” (and she really hasn’t been in much since she’s been on Castle).

Add to that that the last two rounds of contract negotiations were famously difficult….

It will be interesting to see where she lands next. I hope to see great things, but I wouldn’t be putting my money down either.

• Boiler says:

Won’t fight you but I don’t think whatever she has been in before matters. For this show and this network she is one of the more popular female leads.

• rowan77 says:

I’m not knocking Stana. I love her as Beckett, think she’s important to the show, and hate that she’s not on the show any longer, HOWEVER: she is not the most popular female lead on ABC. Between Viola Davis (HTGAWM), Ellen Pompeo (Grey’s) , Constance Wu (Fresh off the Boat) and Wendy McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs), they have the popularity contest of ABC female leads sewn up. Stana is great as Beckett, but outside the show, unless you are already a fan, a lot of people don’t know who she is.

3. Mare says:

Good. Hopefully, the show will crash and burn now.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Go Lucifer Go!!! Also, Supergirl and Scorpion were great last night. Next week’s Scorp finale should be great.

• Osiris says:

Was glad to see that Lucifer isn’t turning human but just being influenced in the presence of Chloe, and that he realizes this now.

5. Tica says:

I was expecting a lower number for Castle, but I don’t care anymore I’ll finish the season because Stana is still there but I hope they don’t renew it.

6. Bradley Martens says:

I guess, depending on how you look at it, that’s good news for Castle, hopefully as the numbers get smaller and smaller as we get closer to the finale, ABC will smarten up and decide let’s end it

7. Dee says:

Could it also be because it was aired Sunday in Canada?

• MMD says:

I don’t think our viewing counts in these Nielson ratings and is south of the border only.

• Dee says:

Yep it doesn’t. But because it was aired in CTV the day before and available online on Monday, could it be that it also affected the ratings aside from the heartbreaking news we received on the same day? :)

• MMD says:

I think it would only affect the Canadian ratings. I know that I probably wouldn’t have watched it if I had known the news. Truly, truly pissed me off and the more I read and hear, especially from Nathan Fillion and Molly C. Quinn only makes me angrier. I am now no longer a viewer. Thankfully I am not a big watcher of ABC shows!

If there is a season 9 it will be interesting to see if CTV picks it up in the fall.

8. Jason says:

Hopefully as word of Stana’s departure spreads, the ratings will continue to ebb. It seems strange to wish low ratings on a show I love but it seems like the only thing that might shake some sense into ABC. Whatever the numbers are going forward, I have no doubt that the finale will tick up. People will want to see how this season leaves things.

9. Amber says:

I’ve been forced to choose between Castle and Blindspot this year. I always watched Castle live and DVR’ed Blindspot. Well this made the decision easier. Once Stana Katic is gone I will no long watch Castle and will stick with Blindspot.

• Susan Smith says:

+1 I have no interest in Castle without Beckett. The show is about Castle and Beckett. It has been made Clear it was the Networks decision not Stana.Of course this disrespectful treatment is causing more blow back.Castle would have NEVER made it 8 Seasons without Stana Katic’s Beckett I will be watchdog Blind Spot Monday’s

10. El says:

For me, the real Castle show stopped at Season 7.

11. Mike says:

How is Supergirl bubble ? Isnt it a sure thing to be renewed? Its CBS best rated new drama as well.

• Osiris says:

It’s ratings are less than what CBS was hoping for when they decided to go with a drama to lead Monday nights plus it isn’t owned by CBS so they would get no syndication money. I like the show and would be disappointed if it were cancelled, but not surprised.

12. SassyAF28 says:

oh gosh let’s hope that cbs renews supergirl now i’m officially worried

• Tiff says:

Me too. I wish CBS would go on and renew Supergirl. Because it an amazing show. It’s shouldn’t be about Quantity but Quality. Last night episode was as amazing and emotional.

13. e. says:

I’m pretty sure the two have little causation between them.

14. Nan says:

Just cancel the dang show cuz I know I’m not watching without Stana and Lanie and have no interest in a Castle show with just his P.I. business. They ruined a great show…you should all be so proud.

15. Kevin K says:

Hope Castle gets renewed for a proper final season now that Stana Katic is leaving the show. As for Supergirl, fingers still crossed for a Season 2.

16. Pivoboozer says:

After episode 5 (The Nose), I wrote a positive post about season 8’s energy and potential, and was willing to wait for Caskett’s reconciliation. But with episode 6 (no Beckett), the show started its death spiral, with “The GDS” (again, no Beckett) being the worst episode in the series’ entire run. Now, a season of any length without Beckett will be unwatchable in my book, especially following last night’s dismal episode (maybe five minutes of Beckett) showcasing those likely to return in season nine. Someone’s ego finally ballooned past his ample waistline and Beckett is gone. So is this viewer.

17. Bwhit says:

Rich Dotcom on Blindspot stole the show! I enjoyed last night’s episode a lot.

18. GraceM says:

Everyone likes Supergirl but the show can’t seem to get better ratings. Maybe a different time or night would work in the show’s favour?

• Osiris says:

I think Sunday at 8 would be a better fit. Or Friday at 8. Supergirl would be a good lead in for a female led show like Madam Secretary or an action show like Hawaii Five-O.

19. Phun says:

Ugh! Not liking the dip for Supergirl’s finale – my favorite show on TV! I’m just anxiously awaiting the announcement of season 2. I just hope the execs don’t change their mind.

20. Celina says:

People, please, stop watching castle! If the ratings drop much, we will have the series finale they’ve shot! PLEASE
    LET CASTLE FINISHES AS IT DESERVES! As a good show. As the story of castle and beckett!
    #cancelcastle

21. Taracran says:

No surprise, why even bother watching anymore. I sure didn’t and I don’t think I will even watch on the DVR.

22. Patricia Jacobs says:

Only a dip because Stana was still there. Many viewers chose to get their last glimpses of Beckett. Count on the dip becoming a full blown sink hole. Fillion made his move to push Stana out once Andrew and Terri were gone. He was clearly mad all year that it took so long. Hope he’s happy with himself. He put the cast, writers and crew at risk.

23. Just one thing says:

Four out of five top TVLine stories are about Castle. 😂

24. kmw says:

Nice for Lucifer to go up. Castle didn’t dip as far as I thought it might. Most of the rest of the night didn’t do very well

25. Marcia Drago says:

What is wrong with these TV “showrunners”? The Castle-Beckett connection is the electricity that runs through all the characters and plots. This isn’t rocket science, folks. Lose one and the synergy is gone. I will definitely quit watching the new season; how fast can a three-legged horse run? Jeez.

26. Leo says:

Due to curiosity, I don’t see the ratings slipping drastically. In fact I’ll bet ep 22 garners the highest ratings of the season. It’ll be the only way fans can give SK a fond adieu.

27. Castlefan says:

Sorry the ratings weren’t lower but I can understand people wanting to watch Stana’s last few shows. I just can’t.

28. AdMak says:

Well done Lucifer…

29. John NYC says:

Too bad for them, people missed a good one. IMHO, of course.

• Marz says:

Really, I thought it was quite horrible. I’m glad you liked it, but I was bored. Hayley is now dull. And Castle’s daughter-so yawny a show.

I’ll just watch (but not live) until SK leaves and then off my DVR.

30. Teri says:

Castle fans are numb, angry and disgusted. Some just could not watch last night due to the Stana and Tamala news. Frankly it was hard to watch for me, but I wanted to support the writers, cast and crew who worked hard to put BACKSTABBED together.

31. Ron Laggos says:

I won’t watch Castle next year without Stana Katic! What a huge mistake! They have ruined a great show though it wasn’t as good this year as the previous years though I think the marriage really added to the show the on again and off again relationship hurt ratings!

32. DarkDefender says:

Slipping numbers for Castle are on par with the season. If there was a more significant drop, I’d say it won’t survive. Apparently knowing SK was out, did not bother Neilsen families.
    If they maintain ratings in the final few episodes, I can see season 9 coming.

• KLS says:

Castle’s demo skews old. Maybe they didn’t hear the news that was all over the Internet earlier that day. (My Mom didn’t). Fans knew this was Toks’ ep, and many don’t like her.
      Unfortunately, I think the ratings will be the same until the finale and get a renewal. The last few seasons (7 & 8) haven’t been good enough to overcome such turmoil and warrant a S9.

33. David says:

Supergirl was pre empted. I had Donald trump on tv for just over 30 minutes before it started. This will be a good reason as to why it’s ratings were down last night. People are going to wait around. They will find something else to watch. This is 2 weeks in a row. I really hope CBS renews it. If it doesn’t I hope hey let the CW have it.

34. Cindy Slagle says:

DWTS ratings were down also. Might be the people who were supporting Stana and didn’t watch ABC at all on Monday. NF might be hurting other show besides Castle.