Elementary Ratings Renewed Cancelled

Ratings: Elementary, Madam Secretary Hit Lows, Good Wife Returns Steady

CBS’ Madam Secretary this Sunday drew 9.6 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating, down two tenths in the demo to a series low. Similarly, Elementary (5.6 mil/0.7) slipped two tenths to its own all-time demo low.

The Good Wife however returned from its three-week break up in viewers (with 8.5 mil) and steady in the demo (at 0.9).

Elsewhere in the ratings….

ABC | Once Upon a Time (3.7 mil/1.1) and Quantico (3.6 mil/1.0) each dipped a tenth, while The Family (3 mil/0.8) was steady.

FOX | Bordertown (1.1 mil/0.4), (the final?) Cooper Barrett (1.1 mil/0.4) and Bob’s Burgers (2.2 mil/1.) each dipped a tenth, while Family Guy (3 mil/1.4) and Last Man on Earth (2.5 mil/1.1) were steady.

NBC | Little Big Shots (10.6 mil/1.8) slipped 14 percent and two tenths yet still easily dominated the night. Crowded did 5.5 mil/1.2 and then 4.3 mil/1.0.

1. Max H. says:

Matt, what’s the current stance on the future of tv ratings? It seems like 2.0 had become the new 3.0, and now 1.0 is the new 2.0. Where is this all going? The advertisers must be concerned right?

• Boiler says:

I personally think the advertisers should be concerned about what the ratings tell them. There is no way ignoring the 50+ population makes any sense. They are missing 1/2 the viewers if that continues. The older population behaves totally different than it used to. Also how can Elementary possibly be .7 with viewers constant. Something is wrong/off with the calculation. Makes absolutely no sense. Unfortunately this stuff almost becoming a joke

• They don’t care.50yrs and Oder watch more tv and are more Likley to watch tvline while the younger 18-34&18-49 watch less tv,watch tv other ways besides live and are harder to reach.Thats why advertisers and by extension networks target 18-34/18-49

• Boiler says:

Brandy they should care and maybe you should figure that out. Do you think there is a reason network viewing dropping????? Unless you are around people over age 50 you don’t have a clue what they do. I am over that age and I work, do stuff outside and actually try and stay healthy instead of having my butt in front of TV unlike the young age who has their nose in a phone, ipad, laptop constantly. Why should they try and reach people who don’t watch TV. Figure out a way to reach those that do. The world is changing and network TV refuses to catch up!!!!!!!

• M says:

Preaching to the choir. I spend more $$$$ than pimple face tweens any day of the week…

• The problem isn’t that we (and I am one of the 50+ viewers who watches a BUNCH of network TV) don’t have money to spend. It’s that our buying habits are pretty well established at this point in our lives. We’re not as susceptible to persuasion as younger people, and advertising is all about persuasion. So as much as I hate this dynamic, these shows (and not to go too far off topic, but I include Castle) that are more appealing to us old folks are harder to monetize. And the new models of monetization that networks are chasing are people like cable-cutters that skew even younger.

2. kiks says:

The Good Wife was excellent last night. While I am saddened that this brilliant show is ending (yes, it is time),I am looking forward to the last few episodes and how the King’s will conclude Alicia’s story line. This show was cutting-edge and innovative especially for network tv.

3. Shaun says:

Madame Secretary had a rough night.

• Janice Crawford says:

After the show ended last night I thought to myself how much I loved this show! I thought it was great. It would have to be stressful for the characters to work at their jobs with all the difficulties and seemed to be a true dilemma for them both. What was great was how they worked it out together showing a testament to their marriage.

4. DONNA HOLDER says:

Madam Secretary is losing mine and my husbands vote because of the husband on the show. It was really good until he started working with her.

5. judy says:

Why was Elementary moved to the Sunday night death spot? Of course, ratings will drop. CBS did the same to The Mentalist and CSI.

6. Gayla Renee says:

I love Elementary. The last few shows (maybe more) were more of the show before because something ran over time.

7. Algiers says:

Elementary is a great show. Is it the Walking/Talking Dead that cause the lower ratings? I hope they consider moving it before cancelling it.

8. sheena says:

Mdm Sec is getting a bit precious–fixing the dryer, the over-doing it on the horses–so it is becoming unbelievable. The Good Wife is going into decline too; sort of who cares. Sad. Two one-good shows going down the drain.

9. Not surprising that Madam Secy is getting killed. Isn’t it going up against The Simpsons and Little Big Shots?
    NBC is rerunning the previous Sunday’s LBS at the 7pm hour, and a new episode at 8pm. That’s a pretty powerful 2hrs, even if one is a rerun.

10. Mary S says:

“Madam Secretary this Sunday drew 9.6 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating, down two tenths in the demo to a series low. Similarly, Elementary (5.6 mil/0.7) slipped two tenths to its own all-time demo low.”
    Well, what do they expect when they keep screwing with the schedule???
    CBS is notorious for disregarding the evening schedule when there is any kind of sporting event in the afternoon…that’s where they put shows they care nothing about.
    THE VIEWING AUDIENCE IS TIRED OF THIS PLAYING WITH OUR EVENINGS!!!! Personally, I just set the DVR to record for at least an hour after the scheduled end time to be sure to see the entire episodes, but that just takes up space on my DVR and makes it difficult to record other shows I like.
    The Can’t Be Sensitive network does not care one bit about their viewers, which is something that the advertisers really need to notice. Maybe there is more ad money for the sports stuff, but I never ever watch any of it. It pains me to say it, but I love their Sunday night shows and it annoys me beyond belief that they treat those shows like the unwanted step-kids! (no offense to step-kids, it’s the cliche)