Lucifer Finale Spoilers

Tom Ellis Previews Lucifer's Helluva Chloe Problem, Shocking Finale — Plus, Get a Peek at an Unholy Showdown

Lucifer is bedeviled.

As Fox’s recently renewed drama (Mondays, 9/8c) lets loose with its final two episodes, the title character has just discovered that he is not losing his mojo as a whole but instead is powered down when in the company of confidante Detective Chloe Decker. How will the Prince of Darkness navigate this stickiest of wickets? Series star Tom Ellis spoke with TVLine about that vexing matter, next week’s finale, the drama’s wickedly funny bone and more.

TVLINE | Full disclosure: I was slow to pick up on Lucifer, but some of our readers kept talking it up and once I got to it, man…. This is a fun show, and a funny show.
Oh, thank you. Thank you. That was one of the things that first drew me to the pilot script, how funny it was.

TVLINE | You have better zingers than half the sitcoms out there.
[Laughs] That was a genuine reaction of mine to the pilot, because I’d been sent a lot of scripts, a lot of half-hours and a lot of dramas, and Lucifer was funnier than all of them. I’m glad that we’ve managed to keep that going, because for me that was a big part of why this show is different.

TVLINE | But is it a challenge to keep the character somewhat modulated, so he’s not “too much”?
Yeah, we have to be careful. Lucifer likes to have fun, but we need to make sure that hes also rooted in a proper journey. For the first few episodes after a pilot, you’re just trying to establish your world and the starting points for your characters. But I feel like as the stakes went up, the Lucifer veneer got less and less. His playfulness still exists, but hes got other things to deal with.

TVLINE | Including the notionlucifer-chloe that he is “vulnerable” around Chloe (played by Lauren German). What is his immediate reaction to that realization?
Well, this next episode takes place three weeks after that revelation, and you realize that Lucifer has spent that whole time avoiding Chloe. [Laughs] He still doesn’t want to believe that this is the case, that this person that he has met and sort of has developed a friendship and trust with, it’s all been flipped on its head. We start off with Lucifer feeling still compelled towards Chloe, but now incredibly suspicious and paranoid about who and what she is.

TVLINE | And he’s literally keeping her at arm’s length, if not more.
Literally, exactly! It plays out in a very comedic way to start with, but he does feel a bit betrayed, though he can’t put it into words.

TVLINE | Is there something larger and more nefarious at play there, other than “true love” dousing his powers?
Oh, I think so…. A few people have made that assumption, that maybe just because he’s in love with her that he’s gone soft, but our story is much bigger than that.

TVLINE | Whats his dynamic with Malcolm (Justified‘s Kevin Rankin) going to be like moving forward? The guy just tried to kill him, before getting bought off pretty easily.
That’s not the end of that story. Malcolm is someone that Lucifer had not really paid any attention to before, and as we enter the next episode Lucifer is brought into a case against his better judgement, because he’s trying to stay away from Chloe, and his path with Malcolm crosses again. Obviously they’ve now got this secret about what happened.

TVLINE | Will things start to thaw for him and Maze (Lesley-Ann Brandt)? It’s been pretty chilly between them the past couple of weeks.
There’s an appearance of a thaw. I think he doesn’t know what to think about Maze, so he starts to test her allegiance. The thing about Lucifer is that by the end of the first season his world is falling apart a bit. Anyone that he could call an ally or trust, he now can’t, and that leaves him in a place that he’s never been before. He asks himself the question: “Is this place any better or worse than the place I left?”
lucifer-satanic-cult
TVLINE | This week’s case revolves a Satanic cult type of thing led by Ross McCall. Tease Lucifer’s reaction to that, because it is very hilarious.
[Laughs] It is. One of the things I love about this show is the satire we’re able to produce about certain things. During the investigation they come across this sort of “church of Satan,” and it’s all his grievances about humanity summed up in one group of people, basically. [Laughs] He’s just had enough of the fact that people think he’s this thing that he isn’t. I think my favorite line is, “Why do they always obsess about goats? I mean I dont even like their cheese!”

TVLINE | Before the season is over, will we get a big face-off between you and D.B. Woodside’s Amenadiel?
Oh yeah, for sure. There’s a big one coming up in this episode, actually. Lucifer is fed up with letting everything go by and trying to be the bigger man, so I think he flips finally. He and Amenadiel have quite a huge fallout. (Watch an exclusive sneak peek below.)

TVLINE | What sort of finale are we getting next week? Big happenings?
I just spoke to someone who’d seen it and I loved their reaction to it; it was the same as mine. The finale has a very, very unexpected twist. One thing I will say is that when I read it I was like, “I really hope we get a Season 2 because it’s too good to leave on this note.” So, yeah — it’s going to surprise a few people. I’m not going to say too much more about it, but the last scene… it is pretty shocking.

Want more scoop on Lucifer, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Nicole Walker says:

Thanks for showing ‘Lucifer’ some love and for a great interview. Welcome to the club :)

2. lrdslvrhnd says:

Too bad you finally started watching just as it’s ending so you couldn’t use it more in QotW *g*

3. Sheila says:

Once you get past the name, the show is quite enjoyable.

4. Really like this show, and Tom Ellis is a gem–he could easily play Cary Grant in a biopic

5. DL says:

Tom Ellis just makes the show work. He’s every bit as compelling onscreen as the Lucifer character is supposed to be within the show.

6. Luis says:

Can I just say, the world needs more Ross McCall – he’s terrific in everything I see him in.

7. Jake says:

I thought that they were going to have Chloe be Lucifer’s “kryptonite” since his charms wouldn’t work on her. Great show.

8. Géraldine says:

Welcome to The club love this show too can’t wait for The final so glad we Have A Season 2 pick up

• joann says:

yes great show… about time something worth watching and so very funny
      and of course luci.”” is great eye c andy…and lve the accent alwys have

9. Larc says:

I like this show a lot. Happy it’s been renewed for next season.

10. wrstlgirl says:

Great interview. Tom Ellis is perfect for this role. I’m sooo glad we get a season two, now I’m all worked up over that finale teaser :-)

11. Kaye says:

I knew that the reason Chloe can hurt him wasn’t just true love! I bet she’s a nephilim (Half human half angel) or something!

12. deb Atlanta says:

Thanks so much for a fantastic interview, Matt. I love the humor and great characters. Love seeing DB Woodside and Kevin Rankin again, plus Tom Ellis is just perfect.

13. bobbie says:

I dismissed the show too, but readers of tvline have unusually good taste so after reading comment after comment I watched and loved it from episode one! Rarely does a show feel so complete right from the start.

14. F.G. says:

Glad that Lucifer is getting some love. Wish we had more Dr. Linda information in this piece as well as more Dr. Linda on the show.

15. Phoenix5634 says:

Haha, finally! :) Welcome to the club! Love this show, and I have since day 1 with the pilot, so happy it got renewed for another season! And that people are finally seeing pass the name, and giving this show the appreciation it deserves :) I can’t wait for tonight’s episode! What a great interview! Got me hyped for tonight’s episode! Probably one of the best new series this year, for all the reasons mentioned in this interview, and more!

16. rose_b5 says:

I have to say, I didn’t watch this show at first. I thought the story idea just didn’t work…and I was worried that the tone would be way off….I mean, you have to know Hollywood usually completely misses the mark on tone on a lot of shows. But this show is really good. And Tom Ellis is perfect as the devil. I have to say…I was completely wrong, one of the most enjoyable shows this season. I’m excited to see a season 2.

17. Maureen says:

This is a fabulous show! I tell everyone an now there watching! I love its satire, the one liners, the cast are all wonderful people for who they play an I wish it was on every night! I stay home an I watch Lucifer, an I CANNOT wait for season 2! Love you all! Good work!

18. Tai says:

I am so glad to see this show getting some love here. I’ve loved it since the pilot based only on Tom Ellis and his amazing performance. But as the episodes passed, I started liking all of the cast. They’re all great. And I knew there was going to be something more to him feeling “human” and vulnerable around Chloe. I knew there was something up with her when his charms didn’t work on her. And the suspicions have been building. Can’t wait to see how this plays out.

19. Erin B says:

I think what I like about it is how well they do serious subject matter & humor. There are so many heavy shows out there (“The Family” & “Game of Silence” come to mind) where they are enjoyable in their own way, but so freaking hard to watch sometimes. This show is a delightful hour in my week.

20. mooshki says:

I’m very glad they aren’t going the love story route – I think Lucifer and Chloe have more of a brother-sister chemistry, which is refreshing.

21. Redness says:

I’m so glad Lucifer was renewed, because Tom Ellis is perfection on the show. In fact, he’s been great in everything I’ve seen him in (Miranda, The Fades, Merlin), and I’m glad he’s on a TV show worthy of his talents here in the US.

22. ksalet says:

I “found” this show and now I can’t wait for more

23. Mary says:

Love Lucifer, watched from day one. So refreshing to have such a different type of format. Tom Ellis is wonderful in everything he does. I am over 60!!!!

24. DarkDefender says:

Welcome to the dark side, Matt. I knew you’d like Lucifer once you gave it a chance. Thanks for the interview with Tom Ellis. I hope TVLine increases coverage of Lucifer during season 2.

25. gabrielle says:

Love the show one of the shows I have seen in a good ten years or better!Enjoy the summer just remember to come back and do it again next years!

26. Jake says:

Not to get too heavy or analytical, but I see this as a show about redemption. God (through Chloe) is trying to redeem Lucifer, which is why Lucifer’s charms don’t work on her. Kind of ironic that some people were put off by the title, fearing the show would mock religion.

27. Gorgia Madman says:

Loved the show since Day 1. Got my girlfriend hooked and its the only show we watch together. Gotta get intervieww ith Dr.Linda. She always racks me up.

28. Carole Murdoch says:

I only tuned in to “Lucifer” to watch Tom Ellis. He was on the Britcom, Miranda, and I liked him from that show, but didn’t think I’d like the actual show “Lucifer.” Now, I can’t imagine anyone else playing Lucifer and he has me hooked on the show. Tom Ellis is SO FUNNY! I was concerned there wouldn’t be a second season……glad there will be!

29. Connie says:

I love this show and hope for more seasons to enjoy!

30. Mary Kelly says:

I love Lucifer…the saying ‘devil made me do it’…with THIS Lucifer…could very well be true..

31. Carolyn Petillo says:

The devil should be so handsome! I love the show