Exclusive
The Good Wife Josh Charles returns

The Good Wife: Josh Charles Eyes Return for May 8 Series Finale?

Where there’s a Will there’s a way. Even in death.

I’m hearing Josh Charles will reprise his role as the late Will Gardner in The Good Wife‘s May 8 season finale. Rumor has it he will appear opposite Julianne Margulies’ Alicia in a newly-created flashback sequence (NCFS). CBS would not confirm Charles’ return.

Charles’ Will was killed off in Season 5’s 15th episode, titled “Dramatics, Your Honor,” although he reappeared the following week in a series of NCFSs. He returned to the show in Season 6 to direct an episode.

Shortly after the The Good Wife‘s final-season announcement in February, Charles took to Twitter to congratulate the cast and crew “on an amazing run,” adding, “I’m proud to have been a part of it.”

The Emmy-nominated actor’s post Good Wife credits include Showtime’s Masters of Sex, Comedy Central’s Inside Amy Schumer and Netflix’s Wet Hot American Summer revival.

Thoughts? Theories? Hit the comments.

1. Steven says:

It would’t be right if he didn’t make an appearance.

• Madi says:

Exactly. He was a core part of what made this show extraordinary in those most brilliant earlier seasons, and Will’s presence has constantly loomed ever since. He was, if not THE love of Alicia’s life, one of the great loves of her life, and it wouldn’t feel right to close her story without bringing Will back into it somehow.

2. Yes! Looking forward to this. These two had insanely amazing chemistry.

3. Celina says:

So. If they haven’t killed him, he and Alicia could’ve been together in the end. Too bad

4. CAROLINE GONCALVES says:

and kalinda??? say kalinda will be back please

5. Evan says:

Oh sure, him she’ll film with and no body doubles.

6. Mary says:

Kalinda should be back, I don’t care what happened behind the scenes!

7. KLS says:

Doesn’t ABC (Shondaland) own the rights to NCFS?

8. Larc says:

I guess jumping the shark by bringing back a dead person won’t matter much in the series finale.

• CC says:

I am guessing it will either be a flashback or a dream sequence.

• Ann says:

I’m hoping they kill off Alicia and the ending scene will be her and Will back together for eternity after death…

• Mike M says:

I’m hoping Kalinda kills off Alicia and the ending scene will be her and Will back together for eternity after death… after Cary gets Kalinda off the murder charge in the best courtroom scenes ever seen on the show. I don’t care if it makes any sense, it’s still my dream ending – lol

9. Lisa says:

what does NCFS mean again?

10. karenb says:

This has to happen. The show lost so much of its appeal since Will Gardener was killed off (Josh Charles I’m looking at you!). I’ve actually binge-watched this show twice and it’s quite remarkable how the whole dynamics changed after Will died.

11. Pamela says:

His appearance will only be enough for me if he had faked his death and returns.

12. Alicia says:

I just assumed he would make one final appearance. Not too earth shattering. Now if Archie Panjabi came back, given the drama behind her exit, that would be news worthy.

13. bridyyc says:

I know there’s no way they could pull off Will’s return to life without replacing the Bobby/shower scene in pop culture lore, but I would actually forgive them for that.

14. Howlingmad says:

I think ENDING this series, is a MISTAKE . . . NCIS being the obvious example. So long as you have a “well Written” story, your actors will take it from there. I think this decision, should be RE-CONSIDERED !

15. Stacy says:

I’m thrilled CBS is honoring the vision of the creators and ending the show. (Or that Margulies wouldn’t renew her contract… whatever.) And Josh Charles returning?! YES. This is how you end a show!

16. Loz says:

Yes I am happy josh Charles is returning. Would be amazing if Archie came back but doubt it will happen.

17. Emily says:

I’ve been convinced that this was happening ever since that Blind Item back in January (was it him???).

I’m cool with a dream sequence, but I have a secret crazy-town theory that the reason Peter is being indicted has something to do with Will’s death.

• Jennifer says:

I would have sworn up and down that Blind Item was about Will! I ended up looking the article up a few weeks ago and it was about Once Upon a Time :/ Such a bummer. And I like your theory!

18. Tina says:

You wanted to leave Josh. You can stay gone.

19. Ella says:

Man. I wish they’d bring Archie back too then for a happy ending with Cary.

20. skyart101 says:

Still haven’t forgiven him, but I GUESS I’ll watch him if he is in the finale and I GUESS I’ll probably cry. Hate you Josh Charles. ;(

21. Jan Rocco says:

I’m hopeful that Will Garner makes a final (flashback) appearance in the Good Wife finale.
    I’m a long time fan of Josh Charles… Anyone remember him from “IN TREATMENT”? That was a great series / never should have ended so soon.