Did This Breaking Bad Favorite Get Cut From the Better Call Saul Finale?

Better Call Saul isn’t quite ready for a game of chicken (or so it seems).

Though the Breaking Bad prequel has been quick to bring back both Tuco and, more recently, Hector Salamanca (played respectively by Raymond Cruz and Mark Margolis), evidence is mounting that an appearance by Giancarlo Esposito‘s Gustavo “Gus” Fring was scrapped from Saul‘s Season 2 finale (airing April 18).

In discussing Margolis’ encore as Tio, series creator Vince Gilligan shared that Better Call Saul had “a perfect opportunity for someone [else] from our Breaking Bad universe to show up” during its sophomore finale, but co-creator Peter Gould ultimately decided against it.

Now, a recent tweet from Saul fan @Sirena6783 suggests that the first letter of each Season 2 episode title is an anagram for “FRINGS BACK,” indicating the potential for an appearance from the Los Pollos Hermanos owner/drug kingpin.

As you’ll remember (original series spoiler alert!), Fring was last seen sporting half a face in Breaking Bad‘s Season 4 closer, after Walter White and Hector came to an understanding about what had to be done to take him down.

Per AMC, Saul Season 2 will end with Jimmy making a tough decision, Mike taking matters (presumably with the Salamancas) into his own hands and Chuck’s condition evolving, following his recent head trauma.

Would now have been the right time for Gilligan and Gould to bring back Gus Fring? Is there still a chance he turns up anyway?

1. J.R. says:

The ‘each first letter’ thing is only after you sort the episodes in the order that forces it to spell out ‘FRINGS BACK’.

It’s not the actual order of how the episodes aired, nor is it their order reversed.

• Lauren says:

Its an anagram though which is all they are saying.

• J.R. says:

Yep, I guess it could be intentional or coincidental. In season 2 there were the episodes with the black-and-white flashforwards and their titles hinted at the outcome of the finale. Maybe this anagram was intentional and the names were chosen before it was decided not to include Gus. Maybe they’re saving him for season 3. He does fit the description of who they planned to show. Maybe they’ll tease him, like show Los Pollos Hermanos, or the cousins will get a text message ‘POLLOS’, or something of that sort.

• Mike M says:

“Seven Thirty-Seven”, “Down”, “Over” and “ABQ” were titles of four episodes in season two of Breaking Bad. When the teasers for those episodes are viewed in order, they depict a black and white short film called 737 Down Over ABQ that acts as a flash forward to events taking place immediately following the season two finale.Not all episode titles of the season were used, deliberately – to make it hard to see in advance. Here we are in Season 2 of Better Call Saul. The show throws back (or forward) in so many ways to BB, it has to it’s BB history. And here it does so (very sneakily) once again, specifically using SEASON TWO titles AGAIN to play an Easter egg game. This time in a deliberately different way using the first letters of all the titles and shuffling them. NO accidental coincidence here – No chance at all IMHO they would do this and NOT have Gus Fring appear in the season finale. Mike has seen Hector wrestle with his pills through the window of the ice cream store. He’s going to get to him, excite him in some way and make sure he doesn’t have his pills, resulting in his stroke that puts him in the chair – and all probably without Hector even knowing it was him. He has to do it himself, he knows now he can not rely on fate to make his plans work – he’s failed twice trying to just get Tuco jailed instead of kill him, and just get the cops on Hector (ending up killing an innocent good Samaritan). And does nobody else see the relationship between a drug cartel using one food product (ice cream) and another (chicken franchise). Yeah, like that’s just a coincidence. These threads will join over Season 3 and bring Mike to Gus Fring, and probably establish Saul as an associated part of that new cartel as they battle Hector (in a wheelchair) and the cousins. Saul is finally “created” by the end of Season 2 – it’s all on in the S2 finale.

• GregK says:

Such anagrams and other cryptic messages and Easter eggs were notably used in LOST and possibly other shows years ago, which Saul has apparently given nods to. Doc Jensen wrote 5-10 page recaps unraveling Lost mysteries. Seems like every trick in the book is being pulled out by Saul writers.

• IAmBadAtStats says:

The probability that that particular situation comes out the way it does is 1/141167095653376; in other words, it was intentional.

• Thom Jordan says:

Nice ! 26^10 … Wasn’t sure if you were serious so I thought about it for a moment, then checked the above on a calculator and got the same result. 1 in approx. 141 trillion.. a much more minuscule of a chance of it happening randomly than one would think..

2. wrstlgirl says:

I would love to see Fring on Better Call Saul. Especially if it was somehow kept a secret, I would have lost my poop, LOL!!!

• Glen says:

They don’t bring him backnow. If they do it will be the last 10 minutes of next week’s show… love the show btw

• Recall, Gus first funded his brother’s/future partner’s university work toward a degree in Chemistry/Microbiology. Whether those monies flowed from or through fried chicken, or some other sourcing, is as yet unknown. A good guess is that Gus was dabbling in drug-running, likely as an apprentice to Hector, or perhaps a local start-up rival. Either way, he surely was in need of a criminal/lawyer as he laid the groundwork for Los Pollos Hermanos’ first restaurant location.

3. tammyruggles says:

Would be interesting to have an appearance from Gus, given how we’ve had appearances from a few characters already. After all, this is a prequel, and I’m curious as to what Gus was doing during this time, and how he evolved toward the Breaking Bad time frame. Featuring Gus just may boost ratings as well. But with or without Gus, I’m loving Season 2 and looking forward to Season 3.

4. Kate says:

I have actually been waiting for when the meet up takes place, I sort of actually figure that is the entire purpose of Nacho in the series to eventually get sick of this battle of wills between Mike and Hector and because he likes Mike better, he at the very least says there is someone I think you should meet and gives Mike direction to whatever the local branch of the chicken place is and just leave it there. That way, Gus’s big introduction can be in the midst of next season and let Giancarlo finish his Maze Runner duties. But I am more interested now just because I think we saw the bigger steps toward Jimmy becoming Saul in “Klick” and Mike had been working for Gus awhile when we met him.

5. I’m sure it will happen, but I’m in no hurry. The Breaking Bad references have been a bit too frequent for me, and they distract from what is a great show that can easily stand on its own, in my opinion.

• HAP says:

I tend to agree with you. This would be a great show even if there never was Breaking Bad.

• Jon says:

This show has been going too slow. I realize that for some reason BB fans (of which I am one) have this obsession with just calling BCS the greatest show ever but it has not been that great. It doesn’t need to just like BB but why would you run from a successful model? I’m starting to think that Gilligan and Gould were one hit wonders.

6. Cameron says:

I believe Gus will definitely make and appearance. Gus obviously is impressed enough with Mike’s results to hire him. I’m more interested in how Hector ends up in a wheel chair. Does Mike: A. shoot and paralyze him? B. Shoot his car and cause an accident that paralyzes him? C. ???

7. Nardo says:

I am a big fan of BCS, but I hope this is a 3 season show… not sure we need more than another season to connect the dots with BB.

• Jon says:

Yeah, it’s like they are running from it. Now you have people chiming in saying “oh it doesn’t need to connect with BB at all! I want to see how far KIM can go!”. WTF? No.

8. ? says:

I figure this is the natural evolution of where Mike’s storyline is going. I’ve been expecting to see Giancarlo Esposito back on the show any week now. But maybe they’re taking it slower than that. I expect when he does show up, he’ll be a regular! At least we can hope.

9. Tom says:

Why am I only the first person to point out “Seven Thirty-Seven Down Over ABQ”?

10. Migs says:

I think it’s too soon….once you introduce Fring and/or Walt then it would be time to start wrapping up Better Call Saul based on timeline of stuff.

11. wrstlgirl says:

No need to tell me I already said I knew the answer. I just wasn’t gonna spill it here in case she didn’t want to know.

12. Heisenberg says:

I’m just curious if the upcoming finale sheds any light on how Tio becomes a bell ringer. I guess I always assumed a stroke, but maybe a bullet from Mike???

13. Rick says:

I’m betting that the building under construction where Mike meets up with Nacho is Pollo Hermanos being built.

14. Walkie says:

It can’t be just an “appearance” of Fring. He is a critical character in both the evolution of Jimmy and Mike. When they bring him back, he will have to be a regular.

15. lakawak says:

This is like all the morons deciphering Nostradamus trying to use anagrams to make things fit.