The Voice Recap Shalyah Fearing

The Voice Live Playoffs (Pt. 2) Recap: Ain't No Way For Us to Love Them

Thirty-seven years from now, when retired broadcaster Carson Daly writes The Complete History of The Voice: Seasons 1-84, there will be no mention of this Tuesday’s episode.

Because while Season 10’s Live Playoffs, Night 2, may not have been the worst live episode in the history of the show that re-launched Cassadee Pope’s career, it might’ve been the most forgettable.

No one stood out — well, except for Christina Aguilera, wearing leather half-gloves that made her hands look like Ninja kitties and spitting stealthy venom at her old rival Adam Levine. (Exhibit A — This doozy about Team Adam’s Shalyah Fearing, a bombastic teen he stole from Xtina: “I’ve never seen [Adam] actually work with an artist of your caliber!”)

Oh, Xtina, never change! (And please come back for Season 12 — with Patti LaBelle occupying the chair to the far left, K?)

As you contemplate the Patti-for-Adam swap (c’mon, let’s try it out for one season!), let me jump straight into letter grades for Team Adam and Team Pharrell’s singers (check out my grades for Teams Blake & Xtina here).

TEAM PHARRELL (in order from worst to best)
Caity Peters – Adele’s “I’ll Be Waiting” — Grade: D | I’ll be waiting, too, ’til the day I can forget this catastrophic vocal collapse from a contestant whose Knockout Round performance had me thinking she could be a potential Season 10 dark horse. The moral of the story: Let’s ban Adele tracks from reality singing competitions — starting right this second.

Moushumi – Justin Bieber’s “Love Yourself” — Grade: C- | As he does a little too often, Pharrell concocted an arrangement that strained to differentiate itself from the poppy original, and the lack of rhythmic and melodic framework left Moushumi drifting aimlessly and nervously for 90 seconds, like Sandra Bullock in Gravity… only more depressing.

Emily Keener – Paul Simon’s “Still Crazy After All These Years” — Grade: C+ | Emily’s got a pretty tone, and — seated at the piano — showcased decent pitch, but so what? There was no heat, no playfulness, no sense of regret or wistfulness or life experience in the teenager’s rendition of a song that’s built on a foundation of looking back with a little perspective. Sure, Pharrell deserves some blame for choosing it, but ultimately, Emily’s the one more likely to see her Voice prospects fade as a result of the ho-hum cover.

Lacy Mandigo – Pat Benatar’s “Love Is a Battlefield” — Grade: C+ | Lacy benefitted from scoring one of the week’s best tracks — a nostalgic (but not done-to-death) trip that showcased the muscularity of her tone and her ability to work the stage. But on a night that was supposed to be all about stripped-down performances (according to Carson, anyhow — I heard no such thing), Lacy kept getting drowned out by the band, and the harder she pushed, the more flat and nasal the performance became.

Hannah Huston – Aretha Franklin’s “Ain’t No Way” — Grade: B- | Getting the end-of-episode pimp slot had me assuming Hannah would continue her rise as the Eve Harrington to Alisan Porter’s Margo Channing — but, no. Hannah’s affected jaw-wiggle on the big notes and her imperfect riffs on the final chorus sent her back to the middle of the Season 10 pack — and there ain’t no way she can fix it until she’s back on stage and fighting when Top 12 week gets underway.

Daniel Passino – Bruno Mars’s “When I Was Your Man” (Bring-back artist) — Grade: B- | Daniel had fewer botched notes than any other member of Team Pharrell — even with that highly questionable falsetto portion of the bridge. Nevertheless, there was an iciness to the delivery, a sense that he wasn’t singing from a place of deep heartbreak, but rather, feeling just a little blue about a gal who didn’t call him back after the second date.

TEAM ADAM (in order from worst to best)
Nate Butler – Hall & Oates’ “Sara Smile” (Bring-back artist) — Grade: C- | All I’ll say is that Adam’s “Bring Back” should’ve been reserved for Mike Schiavo or Malik Heard — and not further squandered by handing Nate the impossible task of trying to make a limp slice of ’80s A.M. radio fare into something fresh. Alas, he’s just not vocalist enough to tackle such a stern task.

Laith Al-Saadi – The Beatles/Joe Cocker’s “With a Little Help From My Friends” — Grade: C | Dude’s guitar skills were hard to fault, but his scream/sing-by-numbers approach to the vocal was a pale facsimile of Joe Cocker’s rendition, without the necessary abandon and palpable heartbeat required to make you feel it.

Caroline Burns – Kodaline’s “All I Want” — Grade: C+ | I wasn’t a fan of Caroline’s earlier work this season, but her lilting tone was used to decent effect on the verses here. Still, I remain utterly flummoxed why Adam chose a track with the refrain “take my body” for a wide-eyed teenage girl, especially when she seemed to have little to no connection to the words coming out of her mouth.

Brian Nhira – Sia’s “Alive” — Grade: B- | There were some rough patches in Brian’s final runs (and a total lack of dexterity that derailed the quick sing-speak portion of the pre-chorus) that played like an ambitious figure-skater face-planting on a quadruple leap. But Adam was right: It’s unlikely he’ll ever again have to tackle a more challenging vocal line than “Alive” — and on a subpar evening overall, the guy scored some points for making two thirds of the performance sound pretty solid.

Owen Danoff – Family of the Year’s “Hero” — Grade: B | This was a pretty sleepy song choice for Owen – being a “singer-songwriter” type doesn’t mean you have to abandon tempo and urgency, does it? — but he delivered it with his usual brand of kind-eyed folkster beauty. I’d like to see his coach push him to rearrange out-of-left-field tunes into acoustic lullabies — it’d give him the element of surprise he’s currently lacking — but there’s no way he won’t or shouldn’t advance come Wednesday night.

Shalyah Fearing – Beyoncé’s “Listen” — Grade: B | The coaches and in-studio audience responded to Shalyah’s booming ballad like they’d seen the skies part and a winged pegasus swoop down from the clouds carrying a rainbow in its teeth — and in the midst of a night of spotty vocals and middling intensity, that’s probably how it felt. (I mean, they can’t pause their DVRs and go to the fridge during the boring parts, am I right?) From my couch, though, I heard a vocal more notable for its unbridled passion, its sense of emotional purpose, than its actual technical merit. There were more than a few flat notes and vocal wobbles as Shalyah barreled her way through the number, but I felt it deeply and enjoyed it quite a bit. I just hope she listens back in the morning and realizes she needs to work on her technique — since no one on the panel bothered to do so. Oh, speaking of coaches, did you catch Xtina’s not-so-subtle shade to Adam as she spoke to the young diva he’d stolen off her team? “I’ve never seen [Adam] actually work with an artist of your caliber!” Way to dis 10 seasons of his proteges, girl!

What did you think of Night 2 of The Voice Season 10 Live Playoffs? Take our poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments!

1. OhMy says:

Man, there was some screeching here tonight.

• JM1 says:

ROUGH night!!

• Emerald says:

Man, what a train wreck! It was painful watching Moushumi and Lacy. Based on he judge’s forced comments and audience reaction you’d think they were watching a different show.

• Yes, but did you notice how often the coaches talked about what a great show The Voice is? And often as the first thing they said to a contestant. Pretty sure that’s because they couldn’t say much in praise of the actual performance.

• OhMy says:

I didn’t realize that “What would you do if I sang out of tune?” was a mission statement for the night.

• cej says:

Also, “You look beautiful tonight,” or “You know I love you.”

• Alan Dvorkis says:

they praised every performance. That is exactly what is wrong with the show. I do not mind a bad performance. I do mind the constant lying by the judges. It does the singers no good. It makes the viewers angry.

• ChrystalGreg says:

Triple S: Screaming, Screeching, and worst of all Swaybots (c’mon Slezak, I know you’ve griped about this in the past also!). Regardless, let’s have a girl win rather a WGWG like on AI.

• Bryan says:

I know! Now I get why The Voice is now approaching in ho-hum American Idol ratings territory.

2. This episode was a wreck.

• davmon says:

Both nights did not have a mistake-free performance. And it was considerably worse tonight. Which methinks could signal a tech problem–like in the feedback system to the singers’earpieces. Why else would so many who were superb earlier be missing notes galore!…Unless it is just nerves with the Lives–then they need to put in decaf, yoga, & meditation to distress these poor souls.

• davmon says:

Whoops…that was DESTRESS, not distress.

• scott says:

I was thinking the exact same thing. From the recorded shows to the lives, the one thing I really noticed was that EVERYONE at any point in each performance, had volume issues, and I suspect it is indeed mixing-engineering

• Ha, that’s a good one. OM

• Isn’t this always kind of an issue in the first live show? Granted I do think it was worse this year but i remember lots of spotty pitch and volume issues in years past too.

Probably a combo of:
        – Contestant nerves
        – Contestant not use to the audience/band/playback track combo when it’s live – different kind of sound mixing for live tv.
        – Sound mixing/volume issues in general – sometimes bc the contestant maybe sang things one way in rehearsal then with the crowd and the noise did something different live.

All things that tend to improve as the contestants get more comfortable and used to the venue.

• Nicky says:

It’s because the recorded shows were edited, even autotuned if you listen closely at this season battle rounds. The live show is when we actually hear them with no editing at all.

• fiberlicious says:

That would certainly explain why the pre-live shows sounded so good. There shouldn’t be ANY autotune on this show – it makes the whole show a lie.

3. Angie_Overrated says:

Other than Daniel and Owen, can we do a mass elimination and get rid of everyone? This episode was dreadful.

• danin says:

Too bad you haven’t watched much this season because Hannah has been wonderful up til tonight.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’ve seen every episode, but I’ve been busy with work and have not been commenting here.
        Hannah has been very good. I was sad how poorly she sang tonight. I’m sure she will move though and hopefully this was only a bad night.

• danin says:

Oh, OK.maybe I’m confusing it w/your Idol viewing this season? I wonder how her rehearsal went cause Pharrell wiped tears from his eyes. Bet she had a great rehearsal.And I’ve never seen him do that before.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Prob confusing it with Idol. I didn’t watch that except a few clips and then the final week.

She must have done well in rehearsals because they gave her the pimp spot, yet that was not pimp spot material. I felt bad for her because you could tell she was upset with herself.

• JM says:

Hannah looked shell-shocked to me. She was just way too nervous. Angie, you didn’t like Shalyah?

• analythinker says:

It’s the wrong song, I think. Just not… heavy enough? (I don’t know the term.)

• Eurydice says:

For me, Owen’s performance was more heartfelt and honest, but Daniel did a fine job, too. The rest ranged from disappointing to “quick, hit the mute button”. So much off-key screeching and bellowing, I’m actually looking forward to the elimination show.

• S7 Fan says:

Owen & Daniel were my favorites.

• The Beach says:

I thought Daniel gave a very heartfelt interpretation of that song as did Owen. Those two were by far the best of the evening and miles ahead of anyone else.

• JM1 says:

Adam Levine has his faults, but I like that he appreciates the singer-songwriter types. They are so necessary to balance out all the bellowing.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

He acts like a petulant child. His 3 note range hardly makes him a singing expert, witness his encouraging a cracked note as a necessary part of a performance.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Agree in opposite order. High praise for the all over the place scream fest finale is ridiculous.

4. Jobless says:

Agree that nobody was amazing tonight but I think Emily was better than a C+.

• danin says:

Eww..I thought she was awful.

• JM1 says:

Strangely – considering I really didn’t enjoy her before – I like Caroline’s performance.

• JM says:

No way, no how. I adore Paul Simon, and I really thought it was good song choice for Emily, but she just blew it. Still she’s ranked third on LivePopBars so obviously people agree with you.

• The Beach says:

I like Emily. I do. I think she has a lovely way with a song. But I have to disagree with song choice. She’s 17 years old and she singing a song about a man running into a lover from long ago and they are reminiscing. I didn’t believe it for a second. I like the song and I like her but I just don’t like them together.

• Polarvortex says:

Michael does not like her at all!I think she did a great job and I’m so glad they brought Daniel back!

• Timmah says:

I agree. Emily deserved B+ at least, if not an A. One of the standouts on another bad night.

5. Gailer says:

I thought Hannah is good singer, maybe better than Alasin?

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

Maybe better tone, but not in register or emotion. Hannah is great, but I feel like she is not digging deep enough

• danin says:

• danin says:

Flo..Hannah just gets me right in the heart..I love her.She disappointed herself tonight. And I’ll vote for her as long as she’s on. I do love Alisan’s Joni take& most of Blue Bayou except when she shrilled out at the end. I didn’t dig her Cry Baby, not enough heft in her voice. For me, Hannah has more of an emotional impact.I hope she picks good songs. In theory, Ain’t No Way could have been but I think she freaked by singing on live television for the first time.

• Venee says:

Hannah is lives an hour from my town. She’s all the rage on the local news, they even had a live feed viewing party! I had high hopes, but Pharrell over estimated her “Gospal” chops… wrong song. I think given her past performances, she should be good!

• Danin, I’m an old, and I mean old die hard Janis fan and I thought Alisan did her good. No one is Janis and can’t be but Janis had the whiskey voice and natural adlibbing while Alisan was copying. But I still love the song and she has a really good voice.

• Lizzie says:

I didn’t enjoy Alisan’s performance – it seemed noisy and overwrought. Her past means that she should have a few things genuinely in common with Janis’s rough living, but the whole thing seemed forced. Whoever is dressing her, whether it was in the gigantic blanket looking thing, or the shorts, she needs a different stylist. She won’t go home after this performance, but it would seem that frontrunner status may not always help how the singing goes.

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

I agree danin. I hope make it very far

• S7 Fan says:

I agree about Hannah. I prefer her tone.

6. Evan says:

Pretty rough night. Even one of my favorites from blinds/battles/knockouts, Hannah, stumbled a bit tonight. Daniel’s version of “When I Was Your Man” was a carbon copy of Chris Jamison’s performance two weeks ago, so that made me kind of upset. Shalyah was good, but there have been far superior performances of “Listen” on this show alone. Owen is really good, I like him a lot. No one else that performed tonight is even worth mentioning.

• JM1 says:

Shalyah is a doll but, if she’s already screaming her songs so much this early on, where does she go from here? And I always get nervous when the judges pour that much praise on someone so young . . .seems like it can really mess with your head to hear all the talk of “You’re already a star” and all that.

• fiberlicious says:

I just can’t get past the gross grammatical error in that song.

7. Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

Yeah, tonight was not great. Compared to last night, there were no real standouts like Alisan or bryan, though there were some solid performances. I liked Owen, Hannah, moushumi, laith, and shaylah even though the vocal was not her best.

8. Puzzled says:

I feel sorry for Michael Slezak. He still only adores Amanda Brown who was too old to make it even though she was awesome on the Voice. Amanda is back to singing back up for Adele. Now you have Shalyah who granted is 16, has a lot to learn (especially not to thank the audience a thousand times when she is being critiqued). Shalyah ran circles around everyone else and goodness certainly outshined a 16 yo Danielle Bradberry . She certainly has a better chance of a career than 35 yo Ugly Sue or whatever her name is!

9. Davey says:

I don’t know what planet you’re on but Owen deserved an A- and Laith B+. Hannah B, Daniel B-, Shalyah B-.
    I voted for these singers with Owen getting the most votes through different family members.

I like the singers this season but both nights were disappointing.

And I think Caroline showed tonight that Mike should be there instead of her.

10. Blu says:

Tonight was rather abysmal

11. davmon says:

Thank goodness Slezak & the first 5 or so commenters are on the same wavelength. After I felt let down last night, tonight was way worse. So I thought my hearing or tv sound was going out. Some of my disfavor was with the coaching. They pushed almost every artist out of their comfort zones—to point of strain, pitch galore, flat notes, loss of power. But execution is on the artists who were prone to nerves, pitchiness, loss of breath, panic & plain losing it! Like Michael, I did not find an A- in the bunch..

12. CMG says:

Laith was scored too low above, IMO. For me, he was the only one I wanted to keep from tonight’s group.

As for Shalyah, she was WAY too high. I don’t know what people were hearing with that, but all I heard was her blowing out her vocal cords multiple times. It sounded like it was painful for her, and it was somewhat painful for me as a result. She’s never going to have a voice if she keeps abusing her vocal cords that way.

• Venee says:

Wow I actually said the exact same to my husband! This is where some real training by real vocal coaches is needed. I agree her voice will be shot, if she keeps that up.

13. davmon says:

Pharrell’s coaching formula did not work. Daniel, Emily, Moushumi, & Lacy started in nice pockets, but ran into pitch problems, then went high erratically–his falsettos were abrupt and poor-fitting, Emily’s high notes flattened, Moushumi was lost up high, & Lacy just went haywire at the end. Caity was all nerves, I guess; she started out lost, found a warm patch in middle, and got lost again—and she was so good last round, but what was this? And Hannah was good but overmatched by the song like Alisan last night—neither have the dynamics of a soul diva.

• danin says:

Right. And please, when Hannah is singing songs she connects w/vocally as well as emotionally she resonates w/me more than anyone.

14. Jasper says:

Did anyone else catch The Voice’s calling “WaLHFMF” a Joe Cocker song? That’s a Beatles song, for God’s sakes! I know Laith did the Joe Cocker version, but it’s written by Lennon and McCartney and therefore should be credited as a Beatles song. Wonder what Paul is going to say about this…

• Jasper, I agree with you, but crediting the song to the most famous or recent version is very common on this show. I think it does make some sense when the contestant is performing a particular version of the song (as for tonight with Laith), but there isn’t always that good a reason.

• OhMy says:

Well, yes, but the version he did was the Joe Cocker version, not The Beatles version.

• OhMy says:

Oh, SJJ you already answered Jasper.

• kevstar says:

You can’t win either way. When people do someone else’s version and credit it to the wrong artist people get mad. When they credit the original artist, they get mad that they don’t acknowledge who’s version they are doing.

• TinLV says:

I doubt it would bother Paul much one way or another, if he’s even paying attention. That may have been a Beatles song first, but Joe Cocker made it famous and did the definitive version. I saw him in concert about 12 years ago.. when he sang it, no one was thinking about the Beatles. .

15. Janice says:

// check out my grades for Teams Blake & Xtina here //

Michael the link is missing in that sentence.

16. JM says:

So happy I’m not crazy for thinking this was a bad night. I only liked Daniel and Shalyah. Like Tamar, I was really disappointed in Hannah, but she still did well enough to make it to the next round, I think.
    Random thought: I laughed when Pharrell said that Moushumi was staying at one level in her song and needed to change it up. Imagine that on a Bieber song? :)

17. Ron says:

Ugh, tonight made me even more upset about the way this stupid round cuts people. There are at least four (maybe five) people on Christina’s team who–last night notwithstanding–deserve to advance based on overall talent and body of work. Yet only three can because of the stupid structure of this round. However, there are, like, only two people at most on team Pharrell who deserve to advance, yet, to make a team of three, a completely unworthy contestant on his team will advance over other people (like some on Christina’s team) who actually deserve to go through and are better. Ugh, just….ugh.

• davmon says:

After this two-day song massacre, Team Pharrell does not have a corner on DISMAL! Heck, Blake, Adam, & Pharrell are hard pressed to find ONE steady singer. Adam’s Owen was free of mistakes, but his voice is proving pedestrian. Shalyah, Laith, & Brian have better voices but had trouble with high notes. Caroline and Nate just had trouble….Team Blake had everyone missing notes. Katie & Adam have been best, but they slipped. Joe stepped uup, while Mary stepped down—they are probably even now for 3rd….Team Pharrell, like Blake, was missing on all 6 cylinders. Hannah has been best, but slipped badly for her. I projected Caity & Moushumi ahead of Emily—and they tanked! Emily was mostly good except when dutifully going high and getting lost. Daniel has the skills but does not feel it; the runs & falsettos were like a check list for the technical portion. And Lacy was very pretty in her 4th mini to date; but shoulda brought lung power, energy, & attack mode to a hard-driving rock song—not karaoke cool!

• davmon says:

Plus, while Bryan was steady, Xtina had decent turns by Ryan, Nick, & Kata, while Tamar & Alisan faltered a bit. Alisan’s following will probably move her on. As should Bryan….but the other 4 is a tragic battle. Ryan has the best natural voice on show. Kata brings energy and sass, but is least of these vocally. Nick was up this week with a good song choice, after a bad one last time; whereas Tamar’s was the opposite. Tamar was best on show over the three previous. Now, one bad song choice and she is likely done.

18. Andres says:

So many bad song choices. I know Micheal said it wasn’t the worst live show but has to be in the top 5.

19. zack WILLIAMS says:

I wasn’t a revelation at all for the last 2 nights. The top 12 needs to better songs in order to wow us like they did in the blind auditions.

20. Emerald says:

This really is a forgettable season especially bc Jordan Smith made last season so memorable. I actually think Ryan Quinn is a dark horse but, as amazing as his voice and range is, the guy seems like he may have a few loose screws. If he can hold on to his noodles he may have a shot.

21. JM says:

Based on LivePopBars, here are the rankings so far:
    Team Adam:
    1. Shalyah
    2. Owen
    3. Laith
    Team Pharrell
    1. Daniel
    2. Hannah
    3. Emily

22. Jazz says:

Some of these grades were really generous… How did Nate not get an F… And Caroline. Yikes. Tonight was really brutal I don’t even know what to say. Can I just say though Tamar got a D+ yesterday there is no way that Nate was better than her tonight my goodness. Some of the worst song choices I’ve seen in a while too… Best part was Shalyah and Daniel I suppose…

• Gailer says:

Nate’s Sara Smile seemed to go on for an eternity , awkward!

23. davmon says:

Adam’s team? Nate was lost. Caroline–not ready from prime. Adam pushed his best artists to sing to high: Brian flattened, Shalyah got lost, & Laith ran outta gas. And Owen? Maybe mistake free. But my appreciation for his folk rock leanings made me overlook a critical fact until now. He simply does not have a good voice; there is no warm easy pocket with distinctive textures

• danin says:

Yeah, I’m not completely on board w/him.Especially tonight he was singing way to high and his voice was too thin.

• Jasper says:

I wasn’t really digging Owen until the last 15 seconds of “Hero,” when it was just him and the guitar. He seemed really connected in that moment. I thought that snippet was the best singing of the night. He needs to find a way to connect with the band behind him, not just when it’s him and his guitar.

• Jenna says:

See I actually think Owen has the best voice on the show, particularly his enjoyable tone, whereas there are other people who people have been raving about, mainly Alisan…and yes she can hit high notes but to me her tone is shrill and unbearable, and she lacks any semblance of emotion. I prefer Owen and Emily, though Emily could’ve benefitted from a better song choice.

24. Oh dear. I taped the show so I could just listen to the songs, and I still couldn’t get through a couple of them all the way to the end. Daniel and Owen were lovely bright spots. Shalyah had some wonderful moments, but she hit full throttle way too early. And it was utterly bizarre to hear Carson mention several times that we were hearing stripped-down song versions. Some were, it’s true, but many performances were overwhelmed by band and back-up singers, not to mention lighting effects gone mad. After tonight, last night is starting to look a whole lot better than I thought.

25. Orangeyou says:

Apparently, Adam Levine isn’t on Twitter that often or he would have known about #BringBackMike.

Maybe next season, viewers can have a Wild Card pick.

26. Will says:

Ew…tough crowd. Guess I won’t waste my time with this episode. LOL

27. Can we just have a season of just blind auditions lol. Very disappointing the last couple of shows!

• davmon says:

Good point!….Many times, artists blow our minds in the Blinds, then struggle to reproduce that excellence after coaches & Hollywood hokum kicks in….On Season 8, Deanna Johnson did All I Want to perfection, then got nerves; Sawyer took a long time to come anywhere close to his masterful Man of Constant Sorrow; India Carney never surpassed New York State of Mind; Paul Pfau was bewitching with Fly Me to the Moon, then gone too soon….Last season, Jordan never topped Chandelier; Siahna Im’s Fever was amazing but never matched; Krista Hughes with a wodnderfully wistful Angel from Montgomery showed so much promise, then gone; and Sydney Rhame with Photograph, flashed exquisite delicate phrasing and runs, but was off next round….So what about a show of artists who really shine in the Blinds but are gone too quick or do not flourish with Voice coaching—who are brought back by vote or something and given a different route to train up and compete….We can dream!

28. NotVirgin Mary says:

What a dissapointing night. I am praying that the results night will be a reckoning of the sort. And that Tamar will be shown mercy by Christina. I otherwise don’t care about the rest of the potential casualties.

Shaylah tackling that song was a mistake. I also just noticed that she has some iffy technique going on.

29. dj says:

I agree: it was pitiful tonight. Last night was much better. I couldn’t see any of these people winning.

30. Sandy Gonzalez says:

I just don’t understand how he can give Alisan an A- and Shaylah a B. She was so much better than Alisan.

31. Elisa Roja says:

WHOMEVER writes this is a complete moron – Shalyah just @#$# murdered that song, which is really really hard to sing, like really and she killed it just fine…. she has been the top to anyone who knows vocals … and if Adam keeps her in this lane, she’ll be in the top 3

• OhMy says:

(She did not — she was pushing past what she could do, so missed noted, and she went into a screech — none of which means she isn’t a good singer, but it was more noise than music last night — she will survive, I feel confident though)

32. Maddie says:

Owen & Daniel were the winners of the night for me!

33. Still Remember Melanie says:

Whenever someone sings Listen on these shows, I have to go and compare it to Melanie Amaro. Really, nobody except Beyonce compares to Melanie’s version. This girl paled in comparison so when the judges start fawning over that song, I get very annoyed. Now I’m sad about how her career was royally screwed up

34. Carfield says:

I really think Pharell is smart to bring back a reliable vocalist like Daniel. The show’s agenda was possibly to write him off but honestly he showcases his vocal ability with a good song. He is also a very consistent singer, even in face of crazy obstacles. After seeing the iTunes chart, which does not fully predict the result in this early stage, he definitely is pretty safe being Pharell’s top seller tonight. Owen gives a very sincere performance and Shalyah’s “Listen” is also gives a very genuine performance. Surely it is not polished but for a 16 years old, she has potential. However I think the Voice needs to retire “Listen”!

It will be interesting to see whom Adam and Pharell will save tomorrow night! The frontrunners are much clearer for them, so their third pick will be based on personal taste.

35. Lisa Gillette-Martin says:

I don’t agree with some of these grades; a bit too harsh. Also, Laith was performing Joe Cocker’s version of “With a Little Help,” which I thought was perfect for his voice. I thought tonight *was* memorable.

36. analythinker says:

This might be the case of bad audio conversion (from the studio to our TVs) as I’ve watched the show live before (Season 4 Top 12) and the contestants sounded great (even Garrett, Cathia, and Josiah) and I left feeling satisfied. But when I got back and caught the West Coast show, some sounded pitchy on TV. Perhaps this can also explain why the coaches constantly praise contestants even when we hear it differently at home.

Also, whoever was on the microphone mixer tonight, they didn’t do a very good job as almost every beginning of contestant’s singing was muted.

• tvlover44 says:

thanks for this info – i’ve wondered about sound mix issues and the possible differences between live in the studio vs. on tv. i’ve noticed a considerable difference between watching on demand (on my computer) and watching the same song on the official youtube clip – the sound is *so* much better on the latter.

37. Music in my Bones says:

My favourites from tonight’s show are Emily Keener, with her rich voice, exact sense of rhythm, vocal range and creativity, Owen Danoff, pure, true sound – he makes it look SO easy – and Laith Al-Saadi, raw, hardcore beat, evoking Joe Cocker without the spastic flailing. (Joe Cocker is legendary in my book.)

38. analythinker says:

America’s votes: Shalyah & Owen
    Adam’s pick: Brian

Team Xtina:
    America’s votes: Alisan & Bryan
    Xtina’s pick: Either Ryan or Kata

• davmon says:

IMO, you nailed the vote….Mary makes sense for Blake’s team, altho Joe is better dynamically….Emily gets the edge, because Caity & Moushumi went out to sea on Pharrell & didn’t come back….But will Adam choose Brian or Laith?–both have been consistent, until this off night….The Big One is #3 on Xtina! First off, she’ll save Bryan or Alisan if need be. Ryan, Nick & Kata all had stronger outings than most. But Ryan does not come from as far back in pack as Nick & Kata. And then, there is Tamar…Is Xtina really gonna give up on the best big voice on the show, after one sour outing? After all, Alisan was mediocre in rounds 2 & 4….I say, if she knows what went wrong with Tamar & has a fix, then that’s still her girl; otherwise, the Velvet Crooner, Ryan.

• analythinker says:

I agree with your assessments as well. Adam could sway to Laith but I just imagined there’s more room to explore with Brian (perhaps Adam already thought of a gospel song for him to sing next). Xtina can go either way, really. She seems to see something I don’t in Nick, I think she’s charmed by Ryan (like Gwen was by a contestant a few seasons ago whose name escapes me), while Kata is like her new BFF or something. And Tamar is exactly in her lane.

39. Definitely imagine that which you stated. Your favorite
    justification seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to take into account of.
    I say to you, I definitely get annoyed at the same time as folks consider worries that they just
    don’t understand about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and
    defined out the whole thing without having side effect , other people could take a signal.
    Will probably be again to get more. Thanks

40. Dee Runaas says:

I must not have seen the same show the judges did………………really, a standing ovation for Shalhya???? So many pitch problems and she was NOT the only one……I thought Monday nights performances couldn’t get worse – Tuesday performances proved me wrong – PLEASE – can we get a REAL judge who is NOT afraid to tell it like it is??????

41. Corey says:

I’m sorry, but Shalyah deserved a B+ AT LEAST. She was hands down the best of the night, and it looks like the poll agrees with me.

Daniel and Emily were good too. Sure, Emily’s performance was a little slow, but she stayed on key and hit those notes at the end.

42. katedfw says:

This season has been so incredibly boring! It really seems like most of the singers are just phoning it in and with some of the song choices are just so BAD! Even the coaches are struggling to find kind words too say. This is my last season to watch.

43. jenni4955 says:

Yeah, I’m not sure if I’m watching the same show sometimes as the critics. Maybe it’s my sound system that’s faulty. I find that most of the female singers who use their upper register sound very shreiky and usually pitchy with it, like they are straining too hard to reach certain notes which makes their efforts sound off-key. Because of this I almost always choose male singers as my favourites, so Daniel, Brian and Owen get my votes for last night’s best performances.

44. Tim says:

It’s so obvious to me that Christina told the producers she was gone for good if she didn’t win this time, so they’ve stacked the other teams with contestants that don’t stand a chance against hers. The manipulation is on the level of Season 12 of Idol, and that’s really saying something. I hope it backfires in terms of the winner (c’mon, Adam Wakefield!) and the ratings. Manipulation on a show that’s already entering its fatigue stage is what ultimately took down Idol, and it looks like it will eventually kill The Voice, too. Viewers aren’t as stupid as the execs would like to believe.

45. Nedsdag says:

I thought Shalyah was about to have a seizure when she sangand the audience gave her a standing ovation from her recovery.

46. Scarlett says:

Is it sure that the coaches selected the songs this week? I felt like the contestants came in with their own choices. Or I may have misunderstood.

47. Did anyone else wonder what happened to Team Pharrel this season? I feel like everyone ended up with a couple of his good singers and he kept…uh a team of…alright singers.

48. Marilyn Painter says:

Monday’s coaches must have worked much harder!

49. Ray Krenek says:

I have watched all previous 9 seasons of the Voice. I am sorely disappointed in the current format where the acceptance of mediocrity has become the accepted norm. The producers have apparently muzzled the coaches on the LIVE performances. It is hard to realize that four of the greatest in their field coaches had nothing but compliments to some very uncomplimentary performances last night. This has become the norm over the last several seasons. It is almost laughable, it is boring and it degrades not only the show but the contestants as well. You can tell when Adam and Christina want to “critique” a performance. Body language and their “you look good tonight” comments say it all. IT IS A CONTEST! How can you improve if there is NO CRITIQUE? While there were a couple of decent performances last night, overall, it was a dismal night. Quit being afraid to be truthful and honest with the performers. If they are not willing to take the criticisms to improve their vocal abilities and talents, they should not have come to the VOICE in the first place.

RK

• Blair says:

Agree completely. Falsely positive feedback doesn’t help anybody and, on top of that, doesn’t make for good TV. Honest and constructive criticism leads to artist growth which leads to viewers being interested in an artist’s journey which leads to the audience being invested in the show. The producers need to go back to giving their highly paid coaches free rein to give the advice and opinions they are being highly paid for or ratings will continue to fall as bored viewers tune out and leave in droves.

50. Alan Dvorkis says:

THink you graded every single person too high except for Owen, who at least sang in tune and was somewhat believable. Shalyah’s screamfest was the most overrated song of the night. The rest were not even worth mentioning they were so bad. Kudos to Nick for taking both the worst performance of the night and the worst choice possible by Adam. Wonder what Mike did to be rid of without reason and then not brought back when there was.