The Voice predictions

The Voice Predictions: Who's a Lock to Advance — and Who's at Risk — on Teams Blake and Xtina?

Blake Shelton and Christina Aguilera can rest tonight — but not too easily.

Their teams performed on Night 1 of The Voice‘s Season 10 Live Playoffs on Monday night — and while voting for officially closed at noon ET, there are still tough decisions ahead during Wednesday night’s live eliminations (8/7c on NBC).

Indeed, after the top two vote-getters from both teams advance, Blake and Xtina will each need to throw lifelines to one of their remaining four artists. Will they base their decisions on iTunes sales alone? Or contestants’ overall bodies of work? Or something less tangible? It’s impossible to predict.

What’s easier to determine is who America chose — or chose to ignore — based on the artists’ positions on the iTunes singles chart at the end of the voting period. Ch-ch-check it!

TEAM BLAKE
30. Adam Wakefield – “Seven Spanish Angels”
59. Katie Basden – “Georgia Rain”
65. Joe Maye – “Long Train Runnin”
67. Mary Sarah – “(I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden”
106. Justin Whisnant – “Here’s a Quarter (Call Someone Who Cares)”
394. Paxton Ingram – “How Deep Is Your Love”

Not surprisingly, Team Blake’s front-runner Adam Wakefield looks completely and totally safe following a rock-solid cover of a Willie Nelson-Ray Charles ditty. Meanwhile, Justin and Paxton might as well attend results night with their own baskets (to collect their heads once the guillotine drops).

The fact that Katie, Joe and Mary all land within nine places of one another on the charts means we’ll have at least one nail-biter during the Wednesday telecast (provided Carson doesn’t somehow find a way to negate the suspense). I’m going to bet that if Joe doesn’t get saved by America, he’ll get Blake’s save — allowing the country coach to avoid any further vote-splitting between his female country singers. Katie’s “Georgia Rain” was vastly superior to Mary’s “Rose Garden,” but Blake seems to have a soft spot for the latter lady’s throwback vibe. If Katie isn’t No. 2 in overall votes — iTunes, Facebook and Voice app — I wouldn’t be surprised to see her head home.

TEAM XTINA
12. Alisan Porter – “Cry Baby”
25. Nick Hagelin – “Stay”
37. Bryan Bautista – “Pillowtalk”
57. Ryan Quinn – “I’m Not the Only One”
81. Kata Hay – “You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman”
214. Tamar Davis – “Rise Up”

Tamar has looked like a front-runner for weeks — especially on the basis of “Lady Marmalade” — but “Rise Up” was so overbaked that flames were shooting out of the oven. Sadly, I don’t think there’s any way her coach could save her — even if she really wanted to. Kata, meanwhile, gets the It’s An Honor Just to Make the Live Shows trophy.

With Alisan an absolute lock to advance based on her dominant chart performance, that leaves Xtina’s trio of hunky male artists to complete her team heading into the Top 12. While Nick’s iffy “Stay” surprisingly ranks above Bryan’s sexy “Pillowtalk,” the latter singer had more momentum heading into the episode — and will probably get America’s save based on app and Facebook votes. That will likely leave Xtina to make a decision between Ryan (the better singer of the two) or Nick (the one who sold more singles). Xtina’s hunger for a win will make her decision easy: I predict she’ll save the guy whose connection to the audience can be measured in units moved (Nick).

Who do you think will advance on Teams Xtina and Blake? And who should stay in the competition? Take our polls below, then hit the comments!

1. 2Blessed says:

I think Alisan and Bryan get saved by America, with Ryan getting the coach’s save. Christina wanted Ryan BADLY during blinds, she’s not giving him up now for Nick.

Adam’s a sure shot for safety this week. I think Joe will get saved by either America or Blake. This leaves a tossup between Katie and Mary Sarah. Personally, I love Mary Sarah’s tone, there’s something very Carrie Underwood about her that I like. However, with the right song choice and pimpage, Katie could be the dark horse of the season.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

2. LADY_in_MD says:

Poor Tamar she was so good during battles and knockouts but just fell off last night

• LADY_in_MD says:

Sorry should have been…just so off so last

• davmon says:

Yeah, the competition is so strong on that team. But everyone cracked some under the pressure. No one was perfect last night either. Bryan was best. Tamar, Alisan, Nick, & Ryan all got off pitch a few notes. Kata is less talented but came on strong last night, but the patented Xtina overcooking in the end probably kept her from top 3.

3. Florence*TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

Team Xtina:
    Public Votes: Alisan & Bryan
    Coach Save: Ryan

Team Blake:
    Pubic Votes: Adam & either Mary or Joe
    Coach Save: Joe or Katie

4. Kitteh says:

Tamar sung very well, but it would have helped her if she had sung a popular tune.

I have to admit that i always thought that she was cannon fodder for the battles/Knockouts. But nice that Xtina pushed her this far.

At the end of the day it is unfortunately more than just the Voice.

• Jules says:

Huh???? Tamar was never canon fodder. She was a front runner, especially after her knockout round. And “Rise” is a really popular song. It’s played in commercials for heaven’s sake. The arrangement of Tamar’s version was a mess. WAY too fast, causing her to rush and it felt out of pocket the whole time. I love that song and I love Tamar but unfortunately together, they were a mess.

• Lizzie says:

Her vocal was not good, but I don’t think that was just the fault of the arrangement. She just didn’t have it when she performed, it was a little painful.

5. Gailer says:

I forgot to vote , darn

6. Melanie says:

I had forgotten how badly Christina wanted to steal Ryan throughout the show. I’m still a tad worried because Nick has a strong fan following despite his shaky performance. I’m hoping she’ll go with track record of talent, especially since Nick didn’t even perform in the knockouts. Fingers crossed that she won’t just look at iTunes sales.

• daynamonet says:

Nick actually did perform in the knockouts he just lost

• Jasper says:

Nick actually DID perform in the Knockouts. He sang “Lost Without U” and lost to Moushumi. Justin is the one who didn’t perform in the knockouts. I’m fairly certain that Ryan will move through, just based off the fact that the show really hyped up Ryan’s performance and was lukewarm on Nick’s. Plus, Christina seems much more committed to Ryan.

7. Mary says:

Ryan’s version of I’m Not the Only One made me appreciate Sam Smith even more.

8. DL says:

Why the Kata hate? I thought she slayed that song. Swap her with Nick and you’ve got my list for Xtina.

• davmon says:

Well, she was a lot better last night. And all the others had some off notes, except Bryan. But Kata has not been nearly as good before last night. And while I agree that she was quite good until the end, there were 2 problems for most of us. Problem One, she did Carole King sorta like Joan Jett; it was too rowdy to comport with the lyric. Problem Two, she so overcooked the end, that we were made aware of Problem One.

9. Michelle says:

Bryan was hands down the best of the night and then I’d have to say, even though the song was lackluster, Adam has one of the greatest voices of this season. I like Ryan (guy with glasses) so I hope he gets chosen for the save more so than Nick. Although I liked Alisan’s Blue Bayou and one additional song, I didn’t care for her performance last night. I found it too nasally. She deserves to continue, but she’s not my favorite. For me, it’s a toss up between Bryan and Adam from these two teams.

10. Ron says:

Some people seem to be lukewarm on Ryan, but I love that guy! His ‘Drops of Jupiter’ performance was a mess, honestly. And his performance of the Sam Smith song last night, while I thought it was pretty good, I didn’t think it was as amazing as the judges made it out to be. That said, his tone, range, and overall voice is amazing. With the right song, he’ll slay so many of the contestants. And, I thought he was 3rd last night on Christina’s team (behind Alisan and Bryan). My hope is that Alisan, Bryan, and Ryan make up Christina’s top 3. I think that’s a pretty killer 3. Despite his shocking iTunes sales, Nick was a disaster honestly. I really hope he isn’t pushed through by America’s vote. And I feel so bad for Tamar. Last night was a wreck. Before, I would’ve been upset if she hadn’t made Christina’s top 3, and I would’ve put her there over Bryan. Not anymore. Oh, and regarding Blake’s team, I only care about Adam and he’s going through. So I’m okay. Adam gives me chills. His voice is beyond special!

11. Music in my Bones says:

My top picks are Nick Hagelin, whose performance last night was flawless, Ryan Quinn, quirky and a brilliant, expressive singer, and Adam Wakefield, with his strong vocals and subtle, appealing rendition of one of my favourite songs.

Alisan is very good, but some rasp in her voice was needed for ‘Cry Baby.’

• Music in my Bones says:

Oh, I forgot Joe Maye, who is a phenomenal entertainer! He’s my second choice for Blake’s team. He’s got a killer voice and break-dancing moves. Excellent performance!

• danin says:

I had same take on Alison..not enough heft in her voice to slay Cry Baby.I thought Nick was flawless too. As a matter of fact I agree w/you on everything except Adam. Wasn’t a fan of the song.And mostly I like his voice I just haven’t heard him excel on one.Say the way Hannah or Ryan or Nick or Alison has so far.And for me,Owen hasn’t crushed one yet. Though it’s in him.

12. Alisan and Bryan are the best in this competition. I would like Alisan to win. Love him too.

13. Lizzie says:

For me, Mary Sarah hasn’t sung anything as well as her brilliant audition of Where the Boys Are – that was glorious, and I would love to get to hear something with that quality from her again, before her time is up.

14. Chrinstine says:

I just couldn’t leave your website before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed
    the usual information a person supply in your visitors?
    Is gonna be back ceaselessly to inspect new posts