The Vampire Diaries Ending

Vampire Diaries Boss on the Show's Future: Will It End With Season 8?

How much gas does The Vampire Diaries still have in its tank? Well, it depends on who you ask.

Ian Somerhalder on Sunday shocked fans at WalkerStalkerCon when he said, “We have decided to do one last season to really do the story justice.” And just a few days earlier, Kat Graham disclosed that regardless of how long the series continues, she’s pulling the plug on Bonnie Bennett — figuratively speaking, or not — after Season 8.

But don’t, as Juliette Barnes would say, go throwing dirt on The Vampire Diaries‘ grave just yet.

“I’m going to be dead honest with you: I was so happy to get Season 8 that even the idea of Season 9 is so far away — I haven’t even started thinking about it,” executive producer Julie Plec recently told TVLine. “I know Kat made her announcement; I wish her everything she wants, and she can stay as long as she wants.” (TVLine spoke with Plec prior to Somerhalder’s “one last season” comments.)

“Every time we enter a new season, we think, ‘There’s no more story to tell. We’re done,'” Plec continued. “And then when we start talking about it and we realize, ‘Oh, great, we’ve still got a lot of gas in the tank.’ Once we get into breaking Season 8, which will start in May, we’ll really get a sense of where we are with these characters and with this world. How much do we still have left in the show? If we feel strongly that we need to keep going, we’ll advocate for that; if we feel like there’s nothing else we can do, then I might make a call up to the bosses. We won’t know until we really start talking about it creatively.”

Per The CW, “no decision has been made” about the series’ future beyond Season 8.

What’s your take on the show’s lifespan? Are you ready to say goodbye after one more season? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. N says:

Here come the masses. “Your show had no gas in the tank since season 3” bs

• Gilded Lady says:

I actually loved S6, but I don’t know how you recover from this trainwreck of a season.

• Wes says:

Well I’m one of the “masses” and this show ran out of gas seasons ago. The only thing good from s6 was Bamon/Kai everything else was retcon and boring. This season should’ve been exciting since Julie/Dries/cast talked up s7 like they had new fresh ideas and they were taking a new direction with the show but they squandered the gift that Nina Dobrev’s exit made. All I want is good stories and good mythology. Julie is running out of ideas for this show, just end it on a high note.

• Char says:

I’m one of the masses/former fans of TVD’s. Which sadly did end (for us) a little over season 3. When Plec and Dries decided to turn the show into the Dulena Diaries they sealed the fate of the former Vampire Diaries when they forgot they had a great cast of actors and focused way too much on Ian and their imaginary world of Dulena.
      Nina obviously was as bored as the former/remaining fans and her non existent story line. Well, other than having to scream how much she loved Damon then jump his bones. Literally felt embarrassed for her and what this show did to her.
      As for this season. Wow, awful. Damon crying over a coffin. Stefan with sorry forgot what love of his life is it now? or is it his sister like thingy with Caroline?
      Face it kiddies, this show was done a long time ago and has been coasting for a few seasons.
      Gone are the days when crowds would form, flying off to exotic places for their fans, etc.
      Had they stuck to the what they said this show was. Which was the epic love story of Elena and Stefan, Elena the gal who was independent and strong, Stefan who was a good guy who was their for those he loved, Damon the older brother who was a playa with bevy of stunning women, Bonnie the powerful witch, Caroline the busy body big mouth third wheel, Tyler the smart mouth wolf, and Matty blues eyes the really nice guy who is their for his friends.
      This show was hot. Now it’s just gone.

• Diegoprs says:

Exactly hahah. I stopped in season 3

2. Mary says:

I think is time to end after season 8! Julie said that the show will go on as longer Ian and Paul are in! Ian just said he is out, so I guess is depend of what decision Paul make!

Is time to drain completely out of blood and let the series rest on peace

• Wes says:

Yes she did say that and there will be no show w/o one of the brothers so at this point it’s just formality…waiting on confirmation from Plec and The CW.

3. SassyAF28 says:

it better end omg

4. SassyAF28 says:

thank god ian wants to leave because that means the show will finally end and take the originals with you tvd

5. Gilded Lady says:

Please, if Ian is done, the show is done. Soms people were willing to give it chance without Nina. They wouldn’t without Ian.

Beyond that, fan reaction to Ian’s statment has had some sad people but a lot of “it’s time.” I hope they don’t try and drag it out even further.

• Brandi says:

I’m one of those people. I was glad Nina left and don’t miss her a bit. But Ian is a whole other story if he goes I think the show does to. Losing him and Kat/Bonnie is just bad. I love Paul, but I don’t think he can carry the show. He seems to be barley hanging on this season as it is; he seems bored.

• Chloe says:

Agree, I love Paul too but his enthusiasm for TVD has dwindled like the ratings. I don’t want this to turn into the sterobore diaries. Paul’s as interested in it as we are, like getting our teeth pulled. Painful. Bamon is the only thing holding this show together!

6. Guest says:

Technically Ian said “HE” was done after Season 8. He did not reference the show being done. Actually, I wish Ian was leaving at the end of Season 7. There is no need for him to drag Damon through another season. I really hope this doesn’t mean Nina Dobrev will be back next season… hopefully Season 8 will only consist of 10 episodes.

7. NC says:

It should end after season 8. It’s past its time. This show hasn’t been good since Joseph Morgan left for The Originals. It just seems like they have no idea where this story is going. Every year they make it like they just pull stories out of a hat. By comparison I think The Originals is so much better. The stories seem fresh and Joseph Morgan and Daniel Giles and the rest of the cast are so far and away better than most(not all) of TVD

8. Julie needs to look at the shows bad ratings,listen to fans begging for it to end and realize Ian,Kat are leaving,Nina left and without Nina Ian Paul there’s no show and stop living in denial or fantasy land and let it end

9. Fan says:

I would personally love for Alaric to become the lead character once the others start leaving. The majority of the strongest episodes feature him heavily & there’s so much you can do with his character. Plus, Matt Davis is the best actor on the cast. More Alaric please!!

• R says:

Love Alaric (and Matt Davis)! I like his interaction with Candice King’s “Caroline” too, as the story line progresses. I’m also glad that the train wreck named “Steroline” is being put to rest, or at least I hope it is. If it ends after season 8, then that’s cool too. Just tie up the loose ends and don’t leave us hanging here.

10. Poppy says:

#17seasonsand5movies

11. Sara says:

I still love TVD and hope it lasts for several more seasons, like tbh I hope it’s another Greys/SPN in terms of longevity :)

12. Jason says:

It’s really time to end this thing. As much as I love the show, if you just keep going on and on eventually you twist the characters into knots simply to find more plots. Let’s build to a fitting conclusion and leave satisfied. The slow trickling away of beloved characters is no way to end a series.

13. Shaun says:

She is delusional,when your leads start walking it’s usually time to wrap.

14. Cris says:

I think it’s time to end after season 8 just please give the fans a good ending with delena that’s all I ask let them be happy together

• Mich says:

Dullena better not be in any of the ‘endings’! We got enough of that mess and joke for four seasons. ENOUGH! Too bad Damon didn’t really burn her coffin because that would’ve been a great ending.

15. Val says:

A season 9 with 23 episodes to hit 200 eps would be great way to end it

16. Judy Morris says:

Please don’t end my show! Best on TV besides the Originals

17. Stacey says:

Well since IS and KG both want out, this show has got to end. Anybody who wants to continue can probably head over to TO. But this show has gone downhill since S5. Though the Bamon scenes have been fantastic!

18. Vince says:

What a lunatic! CW will not allow that. Ratings will crash even further. Give it closure. You greedy lady!

19. Sayeri Hossain says:

Hey, TVD has really been an extremely amazing show and got me gripped since “Hello Brother!” But aftr all these years and superb seasons with incredible performance by brilliant actors, I think Ian Somerhalder has taken quite the right decision. However good sumthin is, it should come to an end. So does TVD. And by the way, I think earlier, Julie Plec had officially announced that the series is going to end once Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley decide to quit. And that, they’ll make a Superb Finale together. Maybe she forgot about that. But we,fans didn’t.
    Anyways, I wish the entire cast All the best, specially the Amazingly Talented and Beautiful #IanSomerhalder .

20. Lula says:

TVD is done when Ian is done. He IS the show. Period.

21. Taylor says:

Keep going I love this show. I rewatched from season 1 to season 6 over and over again on Netflix. Don’t end I am obsessed, if you end it my life is over. I love looking at Damon’s face and his sense if humor.

22. Amerette says:

That last 0.3 ratings proves that its way past its expiration date

• Eh says:

Eh, CW was preempted – it got a 0.3 bc it literally didn’t air for a lot of people. (I mean it’d have only got a 0.4 or at most 0.5 anyway but IJS.)

• tuckerpie says:

the show ran out of gas quite awhile ago. if they didn’t know how to write original storylines for their characters before nina left, what made them think they could do it afterwards?

and what made them think the show would be better without the female lead who also happened to be the strongest actors on the show?

the plummeting ratings are proof that this once-amazing show should’ve wrapped at the end of s6. they had plenty of notice to give the salvatore bros relationship proper attention, write a much-deserved happy ending for damon and elena and sent the rest of the characters off to whereverland at the end of s6. s7 has been a mess and it’s baffling why they think anybody cares about s8. .

• Brit says:

No, Damon and Elena had already got the goodbye last season. We don’t need another ending with them, they need to stay in the past and let Elena move on.

23. Lol.... says:

I still love the show please keep going

24. Derek Szwed says:

we need to have hope

25. Hhhhhhhhhhh says:

No Vampier diaries can’t be over

26. Si says:

Have always watched the exploits of TVD & am grateful it gave us The Originals, which is an amazing series. I think TVD should continue, as there is so much it can do.
    Supernatural, was condemned many years ago & is on season 12.
    Long live TVD.

• Mia says:

I think this show could go on IF there was some house cleaning. Getting rid of Dries is some of it but there needs to be more and then bring on talented show runners and writers who can write mythology and not be so concerned about what’s happening on social media.

27. Brenda Heffner says:

Love Vampire Diaries

28. Candice says:

I say if the brothers are in I’m in! Keep going!

29. Vampie says:

I guess is time to put the show to rest. The stories had became predictable and not what they used to be in the first couple of seasons. Things had change of course, characters had gone too, but I dont know what other new storylines can the producers come up with if the show extends beyond Season 8 for instance.

The show is not about vampires anymore more about love triangles and soap opera. And also if Ian wont be there anymore, no reason to extend the show more than 8 seasons. Ian, Paul and Nina were the main cast of the show. Nina already left but the show continue well with Ian and Paul but if one of the only surviving main male stars leaves, the show wont be the same as there are no mail males anymore available. So it is better to end the show with a good story telling than to drag it with non sense and lame stories for more seasons.

Also I still need for Matt to have a good story I hope he does before the show ends. Matt had been underused and he used to be very important in the first seasons now he had been sided with secondary stories just like to fill some airtime with him.

30. Nan says:

As far as I’m concerned the Vamps has gone as far as it can…take the high road and definitely end the season at 8. Your out of gas.

31. Jojo99 says:

the show will be great it always has been, no matter what it’s an awesome show you’re doing great with it, i’ll always stand by the show vampire diaries it amazing, do what feels right whatever you, ian, paul want to do it’s up you guys/girls just listen to your heart and decide but know vampire diaries will always be the greatest show. All seasons 1-7 have been Awesome!!! you’ll always have loyal fans i know i’m one of many that think the show is great

32. K says:

Was super happy with Nina left. I wasn’t a fan and thought her acting was ho-hum and one dimensional. There have been a few seasons that were falling flat but this season has had a few high notes. I can see new story lines but you can’t have the show without Damon and Stephen. They are the key. You can always bring in a new witch or other vampires etc. but without them it’s a no go. I am not a super fan of how Matt’s character has shaped up this year and I am ready for the lockdown of the town to take a turn to a rebuilding direction. I could see a storyline with the twins, Alaric and Caroline being an interesting one to explore. I think you can get one maybe two good seasons out of this and then it will be time to call it a day. Maybe think about adding super interesting characters that lead to a different kind of spin off.

33. Cathy graves says:

I love vampire diaries. There has to be lots more they can do. I believe in them. Wish I could be a part of the show….they are all awesome and sooo believable. Please keep them….

34. Amy says:

Just hope they come up with smth good for main characters rather than bringing few new ones and heart-brokenly killing them during the season to create drama (Gemini coven, then heretics) And I miss a proper villain like Silas or Kai who stayed villains. Preferably some really bad ass villain because Julian was killed before exploring his devil potential.

AND I hope writers will make up their minds on pairings, for now it seems like they’re just randomly allocating remaining characters in couples to see which ships would get fan support=ratings

Like Alarik (pretty much Elena’s step dad) and Caroline is a barf

• Brit says:

So agree with this. You’ve pointed out most of what has been lacking in s7, a good villain and good connections/relationships. Not just romantic relationships either, any relationship. All the characters are scattered and we don’t get to see them joining together for the same cause like seasons past. As far as the pairings it’s been a miss so far, never liked steroline and the jury still out about Calaric (at least for me) just because they haven’t given us many scenes with them. I like Bamon but they’re keeping them just friends and even in the friend department Damon has managed to screw that up. The brothers are always on the outs with each other, Matt and Enzo are still disconnected not only with the gang but also just with story lines period. They’re trying to make Enzo relevant by pairing him up with Bonnie but it’s just a poor mans Bamon. They do need to make up their minds about pairings and stick with it (all I ask for is the couples have real romantic chemistry together).

35. christine says:

No no no no please please please dont end the show this is the best show in the world I don’t know what I will do without it I will cry myself to sleep every night if this show end

36. Lili says:

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever I will be ready to say goodbye to tvd ! I need at least 3 more seasons now that Elena is going to be back on the show !!!

37. Maggie says:

Sean’s 1-4 are the best Down hill from there Please no Season 8 enough Elanie is human again what a pity . Rap it up!,,,,,,,!!!!!!!!

38. Stephanie Okhagbuzo says:

I don’t want this show to end, It gives me life and am happy about the whole story. Don’t stop now!!!I have been a part of it from the start and it has become part of me!I know there is still a lot of gas in the tank!I trust that!

39. Greeneyedsoul says:

Elena Needs to Come back in Season 8 And she should come back together With Stefan. The Show started With Stelena snd should end With Stelena. Its their Destiny to get together Thats what they said in Season 5 all the time And so it should be. They should live a human life together and get kids together.

40. Nehemiah says:

The vampire diaries is very good, but you people should try and end it so that you people don’t make it not to be good as it ought to be and people will not be intrested to buy it again. I thank you people for your work in vampire diarise keep it up.

41. Tamara May Orman says:

Well I am a huge fan of TVD and starting to be a huge fan of The Originals. I think the show should remain going if Ian is up for it. He didn’t make his final decision, he just stated “We’ll see when we get there” I think if TVD does come to an end The Originals should still air. I’m starting to love watching Joseph Morgans role as big bad Klaus! If it wasn’t for my friend telling me about the originals I would’ve probably hated Klaus, but as I’ve seen every episode of TVD and The Originals, Niklaus is becoming a favorite of mine. So my answer is that there is still gas in the tank for more seasons if Ian Somerhalder wants to stay! Loved Delena and Stelena I thought this love triangle was an amazing call!
    #TVDForLife

42. Carmen Verinda says:

I also feel like the show kinda going off the rails, getting dull, incomplete w/o elena, perhaps cos of how the plot’s written. Anyway, it’s a good idea to end it at s8 and gracefully exit like many others, or like a beautiful spectacle.

43. Jessica says:

Don’t listen to people who are not true fans! I still love the show……KEEP GOING :) please

44. Jessica Gazick says:

In my honest opinion, the shows been dry for a while. What they need is a new female lead they need to bring in someone who can become like the new Elena. Pass it on to the next generation.

45. Ercilia says:

I’m not ready for TVD to be over I just can’t get enough of it it’s not just another tv show to me it’s my life and we want to see more amazing things. I want them to continue the series for at least 4 or 5 more seasons. I wanna see Caroline’s and alarics daughters become older and start fighting and helping out with whatever trouble everyone is in. There’s still a lot more the producers can come up with

46. Keith says:

I truly love this show and id be sad to see it stop at season 8 all time favorite show!! You got this!! Keep up the great work love all the cast members and writers and producers of this show! 😃😃😃

47. Keith says:

All the negativity In these comments. REALLY!!

48. Mikki Morris says:

I live for vampire diaries, please don’t take it away!!

49. Penny Schwanker says:

I live 4 Friday nights thanks to THE VAMPIRE DIARIES AND THE ORIGINALS. Writers, get your pens and start writing Season 9! CW, make sure you pick these 2 shows up. They are keeping ur network alive with a strong heart beat.

50. rayleeryan says:

Should it end… Well for a huge fan who has only just found the show and watched 6 seasons in 1 week (shhhhh) NOOOOOO it should not end it has only just begun.. It is definitely time to drop the triangle romance as Elena who choose (correctly in my opinion.. There love has over passed the magic that was bring her and his brother together) But with the actress moving on it is the perfect time to redirect the show and for the characters to move forward and maybe focus on stephans love life for awhile.. Yes im sure the will need to be alot of scences where damon is drinking there and maybe defending her from wanting vampires.. but soo happy he didnt take the cure as he would age fast like elanas double did.
    Should it end NOO this is mythology.. the writers need to start thinking out of the box pushing there imagination for new stories for the brothers to attack.. i mean oracs wife and babies gone hmm i got my doubts.. the ideas for furthering the show are endless and being mythology the writers are able to work around the actors who need a break.. or who want to leave.. Even ian leaving for a bit will work as he morns elena but would be easier if he returns so the show can keep the brother theme..
    Should the show end NOOO i think all you fans out there should encourage the writers to challenge us and push the boundries..Take the story to new chapters and bringing in new charactors that we will grow to love and hate as we follow there stories. laughing and crying with them.
    Should it end.. NOOO i think it could be the beginning of many adventures the ideas swirling around my head tells me the writers must be itching to write..

As a fan i wish all the people who are leaving the show the best of luck in what ever they choose to do and hope they are as happy as I am…