Post Mortems

iZombie's Malcolm Goodwin Talks Clive's Discovery, His Romantic Future

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Tuesday’s iZombie

Wild guess: Your mind is reeling from iZombie‘s insanely eventful, action-packed Season 2 finale.

Here’s a quick rundown of the major twists and turns that took place during the two-hour event:

Mr. Boss found out Blaine is alive and had his goons kidnap Peyton, who was rescued by Blaine (sorry, Ravi); the Super Max launch party ended in a bloodbath — RIP Rob Thomas the singer — thanks to a zombie outbreak; Vaughn was eaten by a few of the undead, including his daughter Rita, who was later offed by Major; Liv killed a Romero-esque Drake to save Clive’s life; and Max Rager was bought by a private military contractor… run by a zombie boss lady who wants Liv to be part of the new world order!

But Liv revealing to her detective partner that she and Major are zombies in an effort to get her hungry ex-boyfriend out of jail may be the biggest game-changer heading into next season.

“[Clive is] part of Team Z now, so he’s going to be a very valuable asset in terms of his access, his training, his willingness to survive and sacrifice himself for others,” star Malcolm Goodwin tells TVLine.

Below, the actor talks about what the undead revelation means for Clive’s career and his personal relationship with (ex?) girlfriend Dale.

TVLINE | Clive finally knows the truth about zombies.
I feel like the truth came out in a very, very honest way. Clive’s initial reaction was he didn’t believe her even after [Liv] spilled all the beans and told him everything, and I love the fact that they gave him [that] reaction. That’s what the reaction would be. Clive knows zombies as being Walking Dead zombies [or] World War Z zombies. He doesn’t know them as functioning people who solve crimes. He doesn’t know zombies could be that. She had to go to an extreme and stab herself and that did the trick. That was fun to play. There were so many different reactions that we gave in that scene, and different performances that Rose [McIver] gave in that scene.

TVLINE | After she stabs herself, Clive adjusts pretty well to the idea that she’s a zombie. He’s not even mad at her for keeping this huge secret.
I don’t think Clive really had time to process it. That happened and then he had to sabotage his career, sabotage his girlfriend’s career, sabotage their relationship and also process the fact that he was being lied to and [kept] in the dark. It’s a whole avalanche of things that are happening around him. But Clive focuses on the task at hand, which is, “Let’s stop this apocalypse. Then we’ll really, really deal with all these other issues.” That’s consistent with his personality throughout the entire series.

TVLINE | This opens up a whole new world for the character. What are you excited to explore with him in Season 3?
One is I don’t even think Clive really fully, 100 percent dealt with the truth of this. He didn’t have time to mourn the loss of his relationship or his career trajectory and also to piece together, “Wow, Liv lied to me all this time.” He’s also got to process the fact that he saw these Romero zombies and they killed Rob Thomas, his favorite singer. … I always said in interviews that Clive represents a real person in the real world. Although he exists within the iZombie world, he doesn’t really exist within that world until now. There’s a lot that he has to take in [with] the ramifications of what happened in the finale. It’s going to be fun to explore that and how that changes him and also what he decides to bring to the team in order to help find the cure.

iZombie RecapTVLINE | Clive and Dale had a great relationship. Are you mourning the loss of that personal storyline?
Oh yeah! I think people on Twitter thought she was going to die or something.

TVLINE | I was one of them.
[Laughs] I think Jessica [Harmon] even thought it, too. I’m so happy it didn’t happen. I think there’s still a chance for them. I think there’s still hope for them. It’s [about] whether or not Clive can tell her the truth, whether he’s going to do what Liv did with him and keep her in the dark… Because they did start the episode [with him] still reaching out to her. I don’t think that’s going to stop. But also, he could stop calling her in order to protect her. He doesn’t want her to be exposed and potentially get hurt, so he may keep his distance. But I love the fact that there’s options open there, that she is still out in the world and there is still a chance for them to possibly be together at some point. We love Jessica. What she did with that character was incredible. Hopefully, she comes back.

TVLINE | Clive sabotaged his chances at the FBI, but does the fact that he let Major go also jeopardize his standing as a detective?
Absolutely. It jeopardizes everything because he put it all on the line chasing this case that he wasn’t supposed to. He’s been working on the Meat Cute massacre [even though] they took him off the case in the beginning of the season. He’s been following his gut instinct. Clive has always been an instinctual person, which is why he buys into the psychic thing.

iZombie fans, what did you think of the season ender? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your selection!

1. Amy says:

That finale was amazeballs!

• Josh says:

OMG it was so so freaking good! I’m so happy we get a 3rd season!

• Leo says:

Yeah. I was on the edge of my seat especially the second hour. I love how the writers zig when I thought they’re gonna zag. Like in that room when Liv offered to scratch Clive. OMG and the action-packed hour, damn this show. Last season we have Meat Cute massacre and this season we have Max Rager’s party, to put it in word, “amazeball!”

• Jeri says:

Agree! Wonderful show and so true to the spirit of the show that we have grown to love so much. True believer here. Can’t wait for next season!

2. Jason says:

Can Peyton please be a series regular next year. She just completes the show.

3. A. D. says:

Awesome finale!

4. Jack hart says:

Now that was a zombie finale.. AMC could learn something from this show

5. Anthony Saturno says:

OMG……..BEST FINALE EVER………….I am still in shock…..I will miss Drake!!! I was in tears for Liv….

6. Kim (@AD76) says:

Loved it! I thought it was great. I’m confused why the zombies are being referred to as “Romero” zombies. What did I miss with that?

I love this new version of Blaine, but OMG, please, let Ravi have some happiness. I love that guy and I feel bad for him. I like him with Peyton. Literally LOL’d when Major opened the elevator door and channeled Jack Nicholson – “Herrrrre’s Major!” Vaughn got what he deserved, so did his daughter, and Clive FINALLY knows about zombies. It’s about time!

• Jason says:

“Romero” is a reference to George Romero who directed Night of the Living Dead (and other classics). That movie was basically the origin of the classic Walking Dead style zombie. The kind who shamble around mindlessly trying to eat people. When IZombie undead degenerate to a certain point and become your typical ravenous zombie idiots they’ve gone “Romero”. (Though technically, Romero’s zombies never really ran. That’s more of a recent convention)

• Kim (@AD76) says:

Oooh, ok, thanks for clearing that up! I don’t watch TWD and most other Zombie type shows/movies because I’m not into gore or horror, but I love iZombie. The reference makes total sense now.

• canukchick says:

I don’t know if they’ve ever mentioned Romero zombies before, but its in reference to Romero who created Dawn of the Dead in the 70’s. It just means those zombies are your typical zombies now that we are used to seeing, too far gone to come back to normal with brains.

7. Me says:

Are we having fun yet?

8. This show just gets better week after week! I can’t wait to see where it goes from here!

9. Mary says:

I kept waiting to see if Liv was just going to insist on making him a zombie like her and Major, and then the new owner of Max Rager (for a moment I thought it was Dale had somehow arrived in time) showed up and cleared out the other zombies.

It was an awesome finale and I’m glad Clive finally knows. Can’t wait to see what’s up next season. Not sure if I’m really glad that Vaughn is gone or not. Steven Weber did such a good job of making him into a guy you loved to hate, and Leanne Lapp as Rita too.

10. Ricky23 says:

Fantastic episodes with no dull moment. Loved the fact that they finally got the other Rob Thomas on one of Rob Thomas’ shows. Should be sad about Drakes departure but Lowells death last season was much more sad – one that I hoped wouldn’t stick. Him and Liv were great together. Any show that I’ve seen Robert Buckley in prior to this I always thought pretty face and that was it but this show I don’t know if the show and script work better but I actually like him and think that he can act. Looking forward to next season to see what comes next. Oh and they should add Peyton full time to the show – the 4 of them together work!!!

11. Sheila says:

RIP Drake

12. B says:

One of the best season finales I’ve seen in awhile! I loved the bits of humour thrown in, Major’s heeeres Major was hilarious. Sad about Drake I really liked his character and the actor. I agree with other people here please bring Peyton on full time!

13. Carol C says:

I love the 93% awesome rating. What a terrific double episode!

14. A3rynSun76 says:

I would have given it an A+ if I could have. Between finally telling Clive and the whole Rob Thomas joke sequence. As a big Veronica Mars fan I decided to watch this show but I was hugely skeptical that it wouldn’t be too scary. And the fact that creator Rob Thomas managed to keep it funny in the scariest and most intense episodes of the show made me a true fan. I’ve liked this show for awhile, but now I love it.

• Olivia says:

For me, there are 2 people capable of pulling off humor, especially dry wit type, while everything goes to sh**: Joss Whedon & relatives (ok, that’s more than one person but the brand is there) and Rob Thomas. They excel at it. People at Orphan Black are not too far behind.

• sarah t says:

I thought the same thing. I’m a huge Veronica Mars fan so I was initially skeptical about this show but it’s fantastic. Kind of a similar vein as VM but it’s still entirely it’s own show (if that makes sense). This finale was the best. Seriously wish we could have gotten an actual recap about of this but I’m so glad we’re getting a S3. Also, some of the one liners tonight were exceptional! Especially by Robert Buckley! I loved when he forced his way on to the elevator with “Heeerrreee’sss Major!”. These two episodes were so well done. Rob Thomas was a great cameo too! A+ from me!

15. MorroccoMole says:

With the passing of Vaughn Du Clark, it’s sad to say goodbye to Steven Weber who brought his own brand of black humor as an over-the-top villain to the show. I was hoping Vaughn somehow managed to survive the zombie attack in the elevator to return in season 3 as a “zombied” villain perhaps working in the shadows. But with Mr Weber seemingly being constantly in demand (check out his roles in just 2014 – 2016 on IMDB), I know he’ll pop up on any number of shows. It would be great to see him team with his “brother” Tim Daly on Madam Secretary (maybe as an old beau of the secretary herself).

16. Jared says:

iZombie continues to amaze! So underrated but so good! So happy for S3.

17. Bwhit says:

Simply amazing! Between the one-liners, Clive finding out and the twist at the end, I had forgotten that two hours had gone by. I’m so happy everyone knows now and I want them to be team good? Zombie. That is how you do a finale, some resolution of storylines, great use of a guest star (Rob Thomas you are a stud for going all in :)) and an intriguing cliff hanger!

18. Rachel says:

That was a hella good finale!

19. S says:

Awe man, why Drake? He was sweet and gorgeous…RIP…Poor Liv, just like the other hot Zombie BF Blain killed off…. maybe Major is still an option? Fantastic finale!!

• Lorna says:

I agree. Love Major and he and Lov together, but I also poved Lol and Drake. Grr give her a guy for more than a few episodes.

20. Clive Babineau is such a good character and perfect partner for Liv. He has an underpinning of sensitivity and integrity that implicitly explains why he is so disliked by his fellow police officers. It was so refreshing to see Dale come on the scene to give Clive a partner at work who actually liked and respected him. I never felt a lot of romantic chemistry between the two–Dale seemed more like a “work wife” and at times traded off the mentor role with him, but I wouldn’t mind Clive getting a little loving in his life. Great season ending to one of the best written and most entertainingly produced shows on television. (I will miss Steven Weber–I still find myself chuckling about how much fun he made watching a truly terrible character).

21. pblo78 says:

Ok my two cents.

It is funny, but i think it is one of the few shows that i love all the main characters. Even Major who i hated from moment one, has grown on me. I dont want him with Liv though.

We still have a triangle “Blaine – Payton – Ravi” and it will be interesting how it goes.

We still have two big bad guys, Mr. Big and Blaine´s former employee. I think both will be great threads from next season. And we got a new bad one.

And we should not forget that we have still some Liv´s family business, and Major´s death thread. As Blaine was before, he is in borrowed time.

Finally, I am glad they got rid of Max drink subplot. I didnt like the character in season 1 and i definately hated him in season 2. He was a good big bad though.

22. Krystal says:

:sniffle::sniffle: Wahhhh, why did they have to kill off Drake? I liked Drake, a lot. This is the SECOND TIME they killed off Liv’s love interest. Don’t make me like them if you are gonna get rid of them. Let Liv date a jerk and kill him off. Ughhh!

Otherwise, great episode. :sigh:

23. Greg says:

LIV X CLIVE LOL

24. JC Malcolm says:

Mediocre finale. Nothing special, really, fanboys.

25. I Think Izombie Is The Best And Expect More And More.Keep Up