Supergirl Episode 19

Supergirl Recap: Sister Act

You could put Supergirl under the Black Mercy’s spell a dozen times, or pump her full of Red Kryptonite, and you still wouldn’t wind up in an alternate universe where she willingly works alongside Cat Grant and Maxwell Lord.

But desperate times call for desperate measures, as seen in the CBS drama’s penultimate Season 1 episode. With most of National City succumbing to Non’s new initiative, Kara faces a whole — forgive me — myriad of problems in Monday’s installment, forcing her to align with Max and Cat, the only two denizens who aren’t affected by the signal.

Via the DEO’s hologram of her mom, Kara finally learns that Myriad is a program designed to “save” the world, the same way that Astra tried to save Krypton. Once the people of National City are brainwashed to have the exact same goals, Non believes they can solve all of Earth’s woes — y’know, all those really simple problems like famine and climate change.

Of course, Non (and his newly resurrected partner in crime, Indigo) aren’t merely out to redeem the planet. They’re also gunning specifically for Supergirl, with the ultimate goal of putting her in an intergalactic grave. But before they can kill Kara, they need to break her down with the mightiest of emotional gut punches.

First, in the CatCo offices, Non possesses Winn, James and one of their female colleagues to freefall from the skyscraper’s balcony, giving Kara only enough time to save two of them (and you should have no problem guessing which duo she chooses to rescue). But if watching one of her co-workers die isn’t brutal enough, being forced to battle her brainwashed sister surely is.

Supergirl RecapBut let’s back up a little. While Supergirl, Max and Cat brainstorm how to shut down the Myriad initiative — fortunately, Max’s plan to level National City with a WMD is shot down — Alex and J’onn continue their fugitive lifestyle all the way to Midvale, where Eliza Danvers lives. With the help of J’onn’s shapeshifting abilities (and a blonde wig that looks fabulous on Chyler Leigh, should she ever think of dying her ‘do), the DEO bosses make it safely to the suburbs, where they plan to load up on supplies before moving on to Project Cadmus.

That is, until they learn the havoc that Non is wreaking in National City, at which point Alex and J’onn decide they must go back and help Kara defeat Myriad — easier said than done, of course. Upon returning to their usual stomping grounds, Alex and J’onn quickly encounter Indigo, and they learn that even a massive explosion is no match for the blue nemesis.

What’s more, Alex gets kidnapped by Indigo, is forced to wear a Kryptonite-laced suit and becomes possessed by Non, who pits sister versus sister in the final moments of the episode. Although Supergirl initially refuses to fight her sibling, she isn’t given much of a choice, as “Alex” threatens to off Kara with the same sword that killed Astra. The Danvers sister lunge for each other, and… we’ll have to wait until next week’s season finale to see the outcome.

Also in the episode:

* Cat and Maxwell turn the flirting up to 11, leading me to wonder which relationship name is less terrible: Caxwell or Mat?

* As Alex and J’onn prepare to leave Midvale for National City, Alex comes thisclose to telling her mom that Jeremiah might still be alive — but J’onn stops her just before she can spill the hopeful beans.

* Though it’s impossible to rank all of Cat’s celebrity name drops, this one definitely cracks the Top 10: “Call Harrison Ford and tell him once and for all, I don’t date older men.” Supergirl, I love you most when you make meta jokes. (If you’re puzzled, let me save you a Google: Cat’s portrayer, Calista Flockhart, is married to Ford in real life.)

OK, your turn. What did you think of Supergirl‘s second-to-last Season 1 outing? Hit the comments with your reactions to the episode!

1. Mary says:

I really wish that next week’s episode had been aired tonight too.

2. Jim says:

“Relationship names” are terrible, PERIOD

• Mary says:

They are. And fans have been using one that already belongs to a character in Supergirl lore – SuperCat. Streaky, Supergirl’s cat that has powers is Supercat.

• Rob Horine says:

Streaky was not a Kryptonian. S/He was just a normal house cat that got super powers when a comet streaked by earth.

• Jon says:

Actually, Streaky got his powers from a piece of Kryptonite that Supergirl had experimented on with chemicals (she was trying to find an antidote). Comet the Superhorse became a man when a comet passed by.

• Lauren says:

ok grandpa. hey isn’t it late for you to be up?

• lrdslvrhnd says:

I agree, and wish everyone would call a moratorium on them. (Though admittedly, there are a few that amuse me, such as Caskett and Esplainie from Castle – the one because of how appropriate it is for homicide, and the other because it always makes me think “Lucy, you got some Esplainie to do!” )

3. dan says:

Catlord?

4. Ryan H says:

Chyler was blonde an Grey’s for part of season six. I loved it – dark haired Lexie looked very innocent to me. Blonde Lexie seemed a bit more…to be frank…hot as hell (and I’m gay lol) and wayyy more fun.

5. Riana says:

Cat said married men.

6. Phun says:

Great episode! One more episode left in the season!!! Noooooo! I think Cat knows Kara is Supergirl when they hugged. I was in denial but the kinda convinced me that Cat knows. And OMG! The promo for next week!! Wow! 167 more hours togo until the season finale!! Mondays are going to be boring now without Supergirl.

7. taran63 says:

I enjoyed this episode even though it was all setup. Next week should be good. But at some point they need to break down and cast someone as Superman.

• taran63 says:

And I’m not saying Superman needs to be in episodes much more then he already is. But as often as he is referenced and even shown as a shadow or a blurry figure, they should just go ahead and put a face on him.

8. If Alex dies I’m gonna riot but great ep next week looks insane

9. ? says:

I really, really want them to cast Superman in this show. But make him the grey-templed Earth-2 version. Kara’s relationship with her cousin is too important to her character to keep being ignored like this. I know the writers are worried he’ll upstage her, but I just don’t see that happening if they make him the older version.

10. Unknown says:

Let me first say that I like this show I think do a great job every week and I loved tonight’s episode but my only problem with it is that I would have preferred if they kept superman off world and not have some dumb reason that the reason why he was under control was because he lived on Earth longer so his brain might be a little different. He is still an alien and if anything it’s been said that because he has been on earth longer he is prolly a lot stronger then most from krypton but even so I think it was a good episode and I agree that they should cast someone he is important to her story

11. Cris says:

Did anyone else catch the fact General Lane mentioned the President of the United States was a “she”? Kinda cool they snuck that in there. #girlpower

• Rob Horine says:

As long as it’s not Hillary, I’m cool with it.

• Erik says:

The producers have said they intend to cast Lynda carter as the president next season

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Pretty sure they’ve referred to the President as female before. What got me was Lord’s use of “she” when talking about God. While I wouldn’t have a problem with that from, say, Cat, or even Wynn, there’s no way in hell that Maxwell Lord would refer to God as a “she”, even if (or perhaps especially if) he doesn’t believe.

• KC says:

They actually said “she” first in the Red Tornado episode. And they have spoke with Lynda Carter aka “Wonder Woman” to play the POTUS in Season two of Supergirl. :)

12. Kevin K says:

Hope Supergirl gets renewed for a second season even if next week’s finale ends in a cliffhanger.

13. Rob Horine says:

Any word of a season 2 announcement?

14. Luli says:

At this point it is not looking good for Alex… I’ll riot if they kill her. She and Kara and Kara and Cat are the heart of the show. On the other hand, I wouldn’t mind if they kill James. Someone is going to bite the dust next week, and fingers crossed it is not Alex.

15. parstl says:

Excellent series that deserves a second season. CBS spaced out too many of the recent shows which messed up audience momentum. Chyrle Leigh is one of the key characters and should remain. James Olsen is a vital part of the story and needs to stay. Fans need to let CBS know how popular the show is.

• Osiris says:

It wouldn’t be so bad if CBS were to run Supergirl re-runs during the breaks, but to add insult to injury CBS runs lame Big Bang re-runs in Supergirl’s time slot.

16. Pat says:

I am so enjoying this show and last nights episode was great. Of course we have to wait until next week to find out what the outcome will be. I just hope that Supergirl gets renewed for a season 2, but I am getting a really bad vibe about this and CBS seems to be dragging their heals on announcing a renewal.

17. Terrific episode, though Alex probably gets the award for TV Moron Of the Week, for going to National City. They did a good job explaining Superman’s absence at first, though having him fall to Myriad was a pretty weak explanation. Clearly they just needed to get him out of the way. Ultimately, a big time episode like this should have Superman and Supergirl side by side. If you think adding the Flash brings in ratings, a once a year appearance by Superman would do even more.

• taran63 says:

How awesome a season finale would it be if Supergirl had to fight a mind controlled Superman?

• Honestly, I get the appeal of that, but that’s not how I want to see Superman. I don’t want them pitted against each other. I want them fighting side by side with each other. Give me a threat that she can’t handle alone. Give me Superman helping out.

18. Liz985 says:

If Kara only has her strength but not the ability to critically analyze a situation and come up with a solution other than “hope!”, her city is doomed. And don’t get me started on Alex insisting on going on the mission where people are being mind-controlled with nothing to protect her except her colleague who will be weakened by the effort to keep her safe. Can any of the women on this show actually think, rather than emote?

19. Missy says:

PLease please please don’t cancel this show! It is one of my favorite shows now and I would be heartbroken if it was taken off the air. Please don’t kill Kara Alex or Cat either. I personally don’t think Jon is dead and will save the girls at the last moment but die doing it. Honestly I wish they would get rid of James and bring back The Flash and have them be together. He is super sweet and cute and is a lot like Kara and would be a good fit. James is boring. Lastly I agree Superman needs a face and a real story arc. He isn’t going to overshadow Kara just add to her story line. Also PLEASE RENEW THIS SHOW!!!!!

20. Tommy Threetone says:

Once they determined that Myriad was using Maxwell’s satellites, why didn’t Supergirl fly up there and blast them with her heat vision? And Alex is hot with blond hair.

21. Shawn says:

Really?!?!
    I realize this is all make believe – but the greatest threat to the world for this hero is global warming??? Is the White House writing the script? It’s hard enough to overlook all the political correctness and so-called “inclusive” language in this series – but now we have to be subjected to liberal political propaganda too? Come on! Just let us have some fun and enjoy a comic book show without all the “Myriad” brainwashing.

22. Zoe says:

Where do you get that Supergirl would be unwilling to work alongside Cat Grant? Maxwell Lord, for sure, but not Cat… Kara has been vocal about how much Cat’s mentorship means to both her and Supergirl all the way back to the pilot, and it’s my favourite relationship of the show! I loved seeing how they put to use all that they’ve learned from each other over the season.

23. Cranberie says:

Pretty sure cat knows supergirl is kara after that hug where she mysteriously opens her eyes in the middle of the hug and her hands were feeling kara’s bones which may be because she has had a hug with ‘her assistant,Kara’