Gilmore Girls Revival Premiere Date (Sorta) Revealed

It appears Gilmore Girls: Seasons is confirmed for pre-Christmas delivery.

Netflix announced early Monday that the four-part continuation “will launch later this year, everywhere that Netflix is available.” The streaming giant did not specify a specific 2016 timeframe, but given the fact that production isn’t scheduled to wrap until May 10, conventional wisdom points to either a Fall or Winter launch date.

Series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Daniel Palladino (AKA Team Palladino) are writing and directing all four 90-minute episodes/mini-movies. As TVLine exclusively revealed, each chapter will represent a different season over the course of one calendar year (as such, the episodes will be titled “Winter,” Spring,” Summer” and “Fall”). The revival will be set in the present day, or roughly eight years after the series ended.

One major outstanding question: Will the four installments be released separately or all at once? “My preference would be they would not be released at once, because I feel like there’s going to be anticipation, and I think the diehard fans would enjoy it more with a little separation,” Sherman-Palladino previously told TVLine. “Because the last thing you want is for someone to jump to the last episode and [ruin] it for everybody — which I think would happen, quite frankly, in this day and age of binging. So my preference would be to release them at least a day apart. Let people get a little sunlight and go for a walk around the corner.”

1. Sigh, I’m desperately waiting for the premiere date. I’m hoping Fall (October).

2. Jennifer says:

Michael – Do you know if they are dropping all at once or – as per their name – by season? I’m hoping all at once – that will be my Saturday binge.

• LaDonna says:

Last sentence of the article addresses that. But, there was another article (I believe it was here on TVLine) where ASP said she hopes there’s a little space between the episode releases. She said even if it was just a day or a couple of days, that would be OK. I kind of agree. After all this time and all these months of anticipation, I think it would be a huge letdown to binge them all in one day and just be done.

• TJ says:

No way…. it’s Netflix so they have to drop them all at once. It’s who they are! Plus I’m ready to binge watch the whole thing and then re-watch them. I understand ASP’s reasoning but the whole joy of Netflix producing this is dropping them all at once.

• SAM says:

Since they are by seasons, I would prefer that each episode is released during that particular season. I think that it would enhance the anticipation as well as have a more natural feel.

3. jojo says:

Is it possible that they will make more episodes or movies after this?

4. thisismenow says:

I can imagine Michael sitting in his office, wickedly tapping his fingers together and laughing. He probably knows the anticipated premiere date and just likes to watch us feverishly hit F5 until the second the info breaks exclusively on TVLine. Honestly, Michael would be the perfect fit for a delightfully devilish individual….Once Upon A Time crew, get this man down to Hades for an appearance!

5. Kate says:

I’m very excited to see Gilmore Girls: Seasons. I’m anxiously awaiting the release date. I do agree what Amy Sherman Palladino said I hope they’re released with time in between since there’s so anticipation. It wouldn’t feel right to me to watch them all in one day.

6. Bwhit says:

I’d be okay with a week in between. They could start the first weekend of October or November and release one every Friday, it would be something to look forward to. I just hope they don’t release them months apart.

7. Brad says:

Anyone else get the feeling this might become ore than 4 episodes. I hear they leave off with a cliffhanger that could mean more episodes

8. Kajsa Karlsson Eklöf says:

Wait does this mean that we’ll be able to watch the episodes right away in Sweden too? Will it be released worldwide right away or will they do the classic “only in U.S” at first ?

• GG says:

Good question. Australia wants to see it too in “real time”. Perhaps we’ll view it “hours after” as with other US shows :-)

• Donna says:

I can’t wait for it to air! It has been one of my ALL TIME favorite shows. I am rewatching every episode on UP tv. My husband even bought me the entire series on dvd. I am a Girls addict!

9. Nena says:

I love love this show & cried when it went off… I’m sooo excited for these but I say release them in the appropriate season. That way is gives us something to look forward to! Lol I can’t wait to see these!

10. IR0413 says:

Please please please don’t release them all at once! Nothing would break my heart worse than having it spoiled. I want to enjoy the episodes and savor them. I’ve been a fan of the show since the pilot episode aired on the WB for the first time and have been (not-so) patiently waiting for this for 9 years now.

Give the fans and the creators what they want! :)

11. Since I’ll get Netflx free trial just for this I hope they release them all at once

12. Laila says:

They should release it right before Christmas, that would be genius. I can imagine A LOT of people binging with Lorelei and Rory with their families after a heavy Christmas lunch.

13. Dianne hale says:

Really wish these shows would be reg cable TV. Don’t have Netflix and really can’t afford it. The Gilmore Girls is one of my favorite shows and I hate that I’m not gonna get to see these new episodes.

14. I can’t wait!!! I am so excited😄##teamlogan #alltheway

15. Michele says:

talking about those final four words, am I the only one who thinks it will be something like

Lorelai: More coffee?
    Rory: Yes, please!

and the ending is similar to the first episode, zooming out of Luke’s diner

16. Rita Miller Avalo says:

So happy Gilmore girls coming back never should have been taken off quirky fun show

17. Sonja says:

I really hope for this perfect christmas present to come.
    @Michael, do you know if the episodes will be released worldwide at the same date?

18. nessquick says:

How old is Rory now? in the new seasons.

• Laurie says:

I read that the revival begins approx 8 yrs (give or take) from the end of the series. Rory had graduated college so she would have been about 22 years old. So figure she’ll be 30 or so.

19. jenica says:

please just bring the entire show back! I havent found a tv show yet since gilmore girls that i want to watch!

• Bryona snyder says:

When will they be releases to regular tv for people who don’t have Netflix. I love the show but can’t afford Netflix. So was just wondering when it will hit tv broadcast

20. daniela gutierrez says:

I love logan im courios if he is gonna be the one for rory …if not what a disappointment ,waste of time ….. they make a perfect couple just like one in my favorite novels in spanish called”sortilegio de amor ” different to all of novels out there …theres nothing like a love story and perfect one …. probably the point is focus on school but hey i love romantic and logan and rory make my heart melt …. … i think the show got 4 stars couse we dont like the ending about rory saying sorry to logan after all theyve been thru 😢….

21. 10horseshoe says:

It’s going to be Gillmore Girls joins AARP
    Long wait for old show with publicity starting awhile back. I hope I remember😬

22. Lil-Clete-E says:

Give us a date already!!! Can’t wait!

23. susan lynch says:

Cant wait!! My all time favorite show!!

24. Concha says:

I hope that the new show will have Dean coming back from attending the university of Connecticut. And ends with Dean and Rory getting back together closing the circle left open by her parents.

25. Allison says:

No, Amy, I do not want separation. Lay all those bad boys on me at once!

26. barbara says:

Omg I can’t wait until Gilmore girls are back on!!!! I’m hoping sooner then winter time, omg I’m so excited it’s coming back on I CANT GET ENOUGH OF RORY, LORELIA, AND LUKE (him and LORELIA better stay together :):)

27. Elaine Roman says:

I will be waiting with great anticipation for this and I hope they run them back to back like they do on House of Cards.

28. Donna says:

I cannot wait! One of my alltime favorite shows. I watch re runs EVERY DAY.

29. cassiebanks says:

I wasn’t going to watch these, but with the hope that the new love interest is for Luke and Sookie is actually coming back – how could I not? :) I think I can get past Lorelai being a huge untrustworthy flake who hops into someone else’s bed the minute something goes wrong.

30. B says:

Hopefully it is in the fall, because if they wait too long, they are going to lose the momentum they’ve been generating. I think GG is great, but it was not the most popular show when it was on, so it would be good to at least put one episode out (maybe the “Fall” episode) in the fall.

31. Could u please email me the airing of the 4 part season of Gilmore Girls reunion on netfix when u know the priper date. Im lookn forward to watchn the 4 episodes, i just love the Gilmore girls,n hav watched seasons over n over again . Yours sincerely jeanette lyster

32. Theresa Ayala says:

I love the Gilmore Girls. I watch them as much as l can. When the series ends l start over with the pilot again and again. My family thinks I’m crazy. Thank you for lettting me make a comment

• Donna Dykema says:

I do EXACTLY the same thing and I’m in my 60’s!! My husband also bought me the set of CD’s recently so I will have them if they ever take the reruns off tv!! BEST show ever! Love Lauren and Scott the most but all actors are superb!

33. Seanna says:

Does anyone know if they will be released as a DVDs box set?

34. Jessica says:

Are they making anymore I’m hoping they will