The Vampire Diaries Ending

The Vampire Diaries: Ian Somerhalder Says Season 8 Will Be Its Last

Nothing’s official (yet), but it’s really sounding like The Vampire Diaries will end after Season 8.

Speaking to fans of the CW drama at WalkerStalkerCon in Nashville on Sunday, star Ian Somerhalder said, “We have decided to do one last season to really do the story justice.”

This (unofficial) confirmation of the show’s end comes just days after Somerhalder’s co-star Kat Graham confirmed that, regardless of the series’ future, Bonnie Bennett only has one season left in her.

Season 8 will be my last season,” Graham said. “I just hope that whatever I do after, the crew can come with me. … The crew is going to be the hardest thing to let go, because we are a family.”

It’s anyone’s guess what the series’ final season will entail, but Graham promised the cast will “blow it out.” The show’s eighth season was announced last month as part of The CW’s mass renewal of 11 series, including a fourth season for TVD spinoff The Originals.

Per The CW, “no decision has been made” about the show’s future beyond Season 8.

Vampire Diaries fans, are you ready to say goodbye to Mystic Falls’ finest? What do you hope to see in the final season? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Mary says:

I want the Steroline June wedding for S8

• Joy says:

At least we will only have to endure one more year of the Steroline/Klaroline/Delena/whatever spamming & arguing in every single TVD comment section. For the love of God – STOP!!!! You make being a fan of this show embarrassing.

• Char says:

@Joy, THANK YOU!!!
        Personally I was a fan from the beginning. Loved the show for over 3 seasons. Then it turned into the Dulena Diaries. I stopped watching, bored me. Would check in every so often or read recaps. Was still the Dulena Diaries and me and other fans stopped watching When Nina left I thought ok, I’ll check it out again. OMG, awful just awful. The pairing or should I say the forcing of Stefan with quite possibly the most annoying character was just too much to handle. I liked Caroline as the nosey annoying friend or the just friend of Stefan (like Lexi was). BUT, when they got together, it was gross to watch. Literally creepy, like brother and sister creepy. I gave up on the show. It’s too bad they didn’t end the show when it was hot Remember, Stefan was with Elena, Bonnie the powerful witch, Damon the playa.
        Now it will be remembered as a show that failed and “jumped the shark” when Dulena got together.

• bob says:

its not hard to see your a stelena fan with your continuing whining about delena and steroline stelena was boring they were the typical high school romance all fluff no passion. All that will be remember about this show will be Damon and Elena romance like all any one remembers of dawson creek is joey and pacey.

• Max says:

@bob well you just proved how DElusional der’s are. The only thing DE will be remembered for is how toxic, obsessive, co dependent they were AND how they had to change not only the two of those characters but basically every character for that horrid ship. Also how the show was basically trash after they put them together and the proof of that is with the ratings. All of THIS is what will be remembered about de.

• Char says:

Lol, Bob when Stelena was hot so were the ratings.
            Delena got together and the ratings went down
            facts are facts and ratings are ratings.
            If you take your Delena blinders off, my comment said I loved the entire show.
            and when Delena got together this show took a nose dive. They (plec and dries) forgot they had a great show with great actors and ruined it because focused on one guy, Ian.
            This show will always be remembered as the show that was literally destroyed because of a boring couple called, Delena.

• AddiM says:

@Max What you are explaining is what bitter Stefan/Elena fans will remember of the show. For those who enjoyed DE, the show did not go downhill. I enjoyed TVD from season 1 till Nina left. I liked both SE & DE. As for the ratings it’s common sense really, SE fans dropped the show when DE got together. It’s to be expected really when a show becomes a shipper show. Nomatter how polarizing they were, Damon/Elena will be the couple most synonymous with TVD. I just hope the show can end on a good note and give all characters good closure esp Stefan & Damon.

• Reagan says:

@AddIM As a fan of TVD I will remember D/E being a horrible experiment in social media gone wrong. That’s what I will take away. Only D/E fans can think otherwise.

• Hallie says:

I have to disagree i really wasn’t a fan of either pairing but i would remember both pairings i saw value in both for different reasons delana was fun, dramatic and everlasting while stelena was sweet, honest and very pure very true love it was the innocents of youth this was the beginning of elena’s story and when the show was really good so i would say i will remember both stories because you couldn’t have one with out the other. Looking back stefan was the beginning full of promise and innocents, damon was the middle where she matured and grew and the end well that may yet to be seen but the end maybe damon and stefan without elena.

• Sick of the shippers says:

Dear team tvline,
            Can we have a TVD comment section for adults who want to discuss this show and its episodes and not the stupid ‘ship wars like this comment section is full of? Pretty please!

• Joy says:

Well you both missed my point and illustrated my point all at the same time. The annoyances I was referring to come from the shippers who can’t focus on anything else but the ship and flood every comment board with their ship gripes (i.e. Dullena as you mentoned). If I never see another blended name again it will be too soon. I adore this show, I’m sad it’s going to end but for the past few years the so-called fans have made it an insufferable fandom. Just enjoy the show and let them tell whatever story they want (despite your personal ship) and if you can’t deal with that, stop watching.

• Lauren says:

YES JOY!!! Where have you been? THANK YOU!! After 8 seasons all I want is a good story and to see how all the characters end up. I’m really hoping that Julie and Kevin can finish this without fan shipping bias.

• Olivia says:

Elena didn’t mature or grow she became a nobody while with Damon. It’s funny how some think that their relationship was mature because it was far from that. Rose was right Damon was the worst thing for Elena. Elena actually lost her agency, I use to like delena but when they got together I hated how Elena became all about Damon and basically became a brainless gf. I loved Nina Dobrev but I was so glad she left because we needed a much deserved break from them. I honestly think that’s why Nina left because she said in an interview she preferred season 1 – 3 Elena. She knew her character deteriorated, it wasn’t just the fans that thought so. I hope if Nina does return the writers give Elena her agency back and she lets both brothers go.

• number 1 fan says:

I TOO WANT IT TO GO ON BUT I WANT TO SEND A SHOUT OUT TO BRITT WHO MET IAN AND SAID HE WOULD GIVE US THE ENDING WE DESERVE. WE ALSO REMINISCED ABOUT KATHERINE N OTHER FUN THINGS ON THE SHOW SHE AGREED N LAUGHED AND GRACEFULLY INFORMED ME HOW THE DOPPLER GANG STUFF IS DONE N JUST HOW COOL IT WAS TO MEET HIM I THANK HER FOR HER BEING SO INFORMATIVE N MATURE. TO LESLIE WHO COMMENTED HOW ELENA WILL NEVER COME BACK BC HER N IAN HATE EACH OTHER SO MUCH ACCORDING TO HER GOOD FRIEND WHO WORKS ON SET SOUNDING SO FULL OF HATE WAS LESS THAN GRACEFUL EXCLAIMING HER FRIEND HAS IT ON GOOD AUTHORITY N HOW WE ELENA FANS DESERVE TO BE LET DOWN ACTUALLY SHE SAID GOOD FOR YOU. WELL IT SEEMS YOUR GOOD AUTHORITY SHOULD GET A NEW FRIEND WHO WON’T BLAB HER INSIDE INFO THAT MIGHT GET HER IN TROUBLE. BTW SEE JP BRINGING ELENA BACK FOR HER VOICE OVER N SERIES FINALE FANS ARE HAPPY N WELL GOTCHA DON’T HATE ON FANS FOR THEIR COMMENTS ITS JUST BAD FORM WE’RE JUST ENJOYING OUR FAVORITE SHOW FROM BEGINNING TO END ALL WITH TRUE LOVE FOR THIS AMAZING SERIES. THANK YOU TO ALL THE CHARACTERS FOR THE NEST TIME EVER YOU ARE WONDERFUL AND AMAZING ACTORS WE LOVE YOU.

• kyla coopwood says:

i completely agree but that was a little harsh, though, yeesh

2. A says:

Instead of promoting this as official news, why not wait until they actually confirm it’s the last season? Yes, I know it’s likely but still it’s not “officially” the last season.

3. Dominique says:

good. right now, the show is still (somewhat) enjoyable. but if they’ll continue for 3-5 more seasons, it’ll be absolutely terrible. they can end on a high note and give us one more final kick ass season, before bowing out.

4. There better be a major Originals crossover event too

• Erica says:

They should open next season/ close this season of TVD/To with Hayley going to the TVD gang for help and rescue the Mikaelson’s who’ve all been daggered or put down in some type of way.

But for some petty reason they’re allergic to taken advantage of crossovers

5. sarah says:

i’m hoping ian’s just speculating??? like, he’s going into s8 assuming it’ll be the last but doesn’t ‘know’ if it is or not???? he made a similar comment only a couple of wks ago in an interview (with tv guide i think????) but then when the journalist asked if it was def the last he said he didn’t know. i’m hoping that’s still the case tbh bc i’d like more seasons of tvd.

please keep us updated andy :)

6. Charlotte says:

I want Elena to come back for the last season!! Damon deserves some happiness!! Also Caroline and Klaus need to see each other again! That is a must. They are so perfect together.

7. Alice says:

They had to end it 3 seasons ago. They haven’t. Hope the last season will show us the development of characters and not the constant fight with far-fetched enemies.

8. SassyAF28 says:

It better be omg it should’ve ended after s5 or s6

9. Karen Varner says:

OMG . No I could never b ready to say goodbye to Mystic Falls and to my favorite vampire brothers . Although we all knew it couldn’t go on for an ” eternity ” we re all allowed to dream right ?? Time for a tvd marathon starting fr very first episode of season one .

10. kate says:

I think the real confirmation will be if someone hears that Julie Plec has reached out to Nina Dobrev even if it’s just for the last episode in May of 2017.

• I’ll bet that the return was already built into the contract. She’ll show up for the last few episodes of the final season. If she doesn’t, her fans could turn on her and it wouldn’t be wise for a young, decent actress to piss off a legion of fans so early in her career.

11. Derek Szwed says:

its just a roumer its not true dont Believe it

12. trice says:

So happy its ending , get the feeling its cause Kat not staying Ian probably wont out bet JP kills off Bonnie now, what would be a shock is if she keep her alive.

• Ebony says:

Considering they’ve already wrote themselves into the whole plot of ‘As long as Bonnie lives, Elena sleeps.’ That means that next season they’ll have to find a loop hole/way to break the spell so that both characters can be together for Bonnie’s last season or Bonnie gets killed off for Elena to wake for the series ending (since they can’t very well have Elena asleep indefinitely). Unless they time skip to 60 years or whatever.

13. Shaun says:

If anyone wants to continue they can go on The Originals :p

14. Nat says:

Lmao he definitely said season 8 is HIS last season, not ITs last season. But whateva whateva, believe what you want.

15. AddiM says:

And I hope non of the MF characters come to TO especially Caroline…she’s insufferable enough on TVD..we don’t want her ruining TO too.

16. MalikBefour says:

Knew Paul and Ian weren’t gonna do another season after 8

17. Kristen says:

That makes me sad to hear but it is probably the right time. The series was running out of new plot ideas. Everything seemed a retread of what we had already seen from prior seasons. I will just miss the characters, since I still enjoy seeing them onscreen. I really wish they had done more crossovers with TO. I think both shows would have had more longevity that way.

18. Annie says:

Two or three seasons too late, if you ask me.

19. Peoples Choice says no desicion has been made yet as to VDs future

20. Kristine says:

I honestly thought the TO would have been cancelled before TVD since their ratings had been consistently lower. Well, I have really enjoyed TVD characters, even if the last few seasons were not at the level of seasons 1-4. I am sure they will do the story justice and we will get a strong finale. Nina will probably come back and Delena will have their happy ending. I am just disappointed we never got to see Klaus and Caroline develop their relationship and continue to interact regardless of whether they ended up together. That will always be the “what if ” of both shows😔.

21. Mike says:

This year The CW renewed basically everything which the exception of these: Containment (which has yet to air), Beauty and the Beast (which is ending), and America’s Next Top Model (which moved to VH1)

Next year i suspect that there will be a lot of cancellations. I bet Vampire Diaries, The Originals (yes i am going that far) Jane the Virgin (Im Sorry i still find the premise creepy), Crazy Ex Girlfriend (Another creepy premise), and Reign (which should have been put out of its misery this season) and which new shows fails to make an impact.

Somehow the comic books series survive along with IZombie and The 100.

• John036 says:

Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will never get cancelled until their shares get 0.0 and they are no longer critically praised.

• Josh says:

Izombie is a comic book series as well

• Kiarra says:

The 100 is thriving. They most definitely had me locked down.

• Katie T says:

Jane the Virgin won’t go next year. They’ll get a season 4. There’s no way they won’t given the CW got Beauty and the Beast, Reign and Hart of Dixie to 4 seasons.
      Also saying the comic shows will somehow survive is a little ridiculous given that they get the strongest ratings on the network. The likes of Arrow and Flash will go as long as the shows want to go as long as the ratings don’t crash ridiculously,just like Supernatural has

22. abby says:

thank god! let it go out while it’s still got some life in it! Hopefully Nina Dobrev will come back for the last couple of episodes for an appropriate send-off.

23. I’ll miss seeing Ian S. and his fine ass on TV but 8 seasons is a pretty impressive run. I think that next season will be the end for the Originals as well, unfortunately.

24. Dude says:

Four seasons too late.

25. nadialus says:

This is awesome news. Julie said that if Ian or Paul wanted out they would end the show and it really sounds like Ian wants out. Hopefully they can go into season 8 and give it the farewell season it deserves.

26. Jason says:

I’m okay with this. I think it’s time. I don’t care how long a show runs as long as it gets to end on it’s own terms.

27. Linda says:

Time for the Winchester brothers to come and take care of them then. ;)

28. Erica says:

Take the Originals down with it please. That show manages to be worse than TVD

29. Diz says:

I still enjoy it, but it’s time for it to end.

30. A says:

Sounds like both Ian and Kat want to leave the show already to move on to something new which I agree with Its time for them to let the show go for good.

31. Pamela says:

8 seasons is fine for this type of show and if the original cast is leaving I wouldn’t want it to go on anymore.

32. Stacey says:

Hoping this is the end, it has gone downhill since season 4. Hoping for a Klaroline endgame! And what the hell is this about a Steroline June wedding, lol, not happening!

33. Gina says:

Finally it’s ending haha!!! They should have ended it when Elena left. But I really hope Caroline and Stefan don’t end up together. This used to be my fave show until they put them together. And now that even Kat is leaving it’s really time to say goodbye

34. Vanessa says:

What? No season #9? No! I want to see eighteen more versions of Stefan with interlopers inhabiting his body while he gasps and vomits. I also want to hear him chastise the brother he forced into vampirism non-stop while he pats his own back for his hero “instincts”. Then, in a perfect world, I want to see them give him another shot at love and being a failed leading man. Lastly, please just one more season to erase and retcon anything good Damon has ever done, felt, or said.

• Ruthie says:

Oh you mean like how s6 was a retcon that Julie admitted to doing?

• NDFan says:

I can tell Damon is your favorite character and that’s cool…but lets be honest here. They basically did a retcon on pretty much every character and relationship that happened in seasons 1-3. It’s not in any way limited to just Damon.

35. Brandi says:

I think I would be ok with it ending in season 8. I can’t see this show going forward without Ian. I probably wouldn’t even want to watch it without him. I was ok when Nina left, she annoyed me anyways. I’d rather them say season 8 is it (I know it’s not official yet) then have them do season 8 and the network cancel it with no closure. If they call it as a final season ahead of time the writers can give it a proper send off.

36. athena e urbina says:

I would like to see Elena come back but Bonnie still alive. That would be great to see, and when she comes back her and Damon get married with jeremy there. That would be a nice ending to for them. Stefain happy and alive. And just the whole gang back together all happy together, just like in the begging how you couldn’t break them apart no matter what.

• Number 1 fan says:

That’s a perfect ending. Everyone back together.

• Robin says:

Does anyone recall the “happy” ending we got with True Blood? Right, not so much so I would not expect it here either. Show runners seem to like dramatic piss# endings that make a shock value splash rather than a neat , happy, storybook ending. Julie P may be different, she loves her characters, actors and fans, so I hope she wraps it up in a lovely , heroic, happy ending!

37. In a IG video, Ian’s asked if VD s8 will be the last he says”Gor me it is” -he’s either leaving like Kat or assuming it’s the last season

• skyebright8 says:

Probably leaving like Kat, I don’t know that the show runners have considered season 8 being the last season yet, though they should.

38. mya says:

For Alana to come back to life
    For Stephen to become a dad

39. Britt says:

I was at the convention today and was at Ian’s panel so I heard this of course. It’s bittersweet that TVD will be ending, but I’m glad they intend to wrap it up in a great way with one last season to finish telling the story and give the show justice. I cannot believe I got to meet Ian twice today and we briefly talked about how great season 1&2 were and at his panel be talked about season 8 getting back to the core characters and back to basics in season 8. Ian was fantastic and he also said he will be more involved in actually creating next season. He will do the show justice and give it the ending it deserves. Thanks Ian for all these years of being Damon!

• Kellee says:

Wow lucky you meeting Ian that’s very cool.

• Number 1 fan says:

Wow meeting IAN what a wonderful event for you. Damon is my favorite character too. I don’t want it to end but if it does everyone back together would be satisfying. I do miss KATHERINE/KATERINA though, also crazy dysfunctional and kinda scared me. Love Kat and Nina too.

• Britt says:

I do miss Katherine too she was fierce! They won’t bring her back obviously she was sucked into a black abyss lol! They had said they are done with the “doppelgänger” stuff! Based on interviews with Nina and Julie Plec she will be back to officially finish her character so it will be amazing to see everything come full circle. The end of this season and next season will be amazing. Ian said there’s a lot to do and he’s going to end it the way the show and the fans deserve. And yes meeting Ian was amazing. He’s everything I hoped and more. Can’t wait what to see the future holds for him beyond TVD.

40. Maine rylee says:

I don’t know it is really how they end it I love tvd and wish it could go on forever but the show will end at some point. If they end it with an amazing ending then I would be fine. But if they end it with the worst ending possible then I would be mad and hope for another season to redeem themselves. No matter what happens I think I won’t be ready to stop watching new episode every Tuesday but I will get used to it. The show is just a great one and I love it. Maybe one day in the future it will make a remake for the next generation. And if I am alive I will watch it.

• Number 1 fan says:

• Number 1 fan says:

They do bring back great shows I hope I’m alive to watch it too.

• Number 1 fan says:

They do bring back great shows I hope I’m alive to watch it too. But for now I’m not ready for it to end. I put on TVD on in every room when I’m doing housework. It’s the only show I watch on a continuous loop. Definitely my favorite.

41. Theresa Farias says:

It’s gonna suck without Damon. Stefan needs his big brother.

42. jerrired says:

My biggest wish is that they get Kevin Williamson back. I feel like he’s the only one who can make the final season at least decent. In terms of storyline? I want to see Katherine back more than Elena for the series finale. And if Containment gets cancelled, bring Kai back and let him be the final big bad instead of trying to get a new one. Oh and kill Enzo. Everything else, surprise me.

43. Elizabeth says:

Damen finds alana and they spend their rest of their life in a coffin. Untill 1 year it opens up with the help of some evil spirit open’s it and the new season starts. They set out to find all the mystic fall residents and start a new hunt seriously out to and and kill them all for burning down their home town.

44. Snow White says:

We love VD don’t stop it or at least make one of just Caroline and Stefan steroline is endgame when it comes down to it Matt needs to die. End of story WE LOVE YOU TVD don’t quit us now WE LOVE YOU

45. chantall says:

Please kat don’t go who’s going to be our town witch? What’s going to happen with bamon gosh my heart is aching

46. Diamon Brown says:

I just want everyone to have a happy ending, cliche I know, but that’s what I want for everyone on the Vampire Diaries and the Originals. I will always love both shows no matter what . All ways and Forever ;)

47. chantall says:

Should it end I hope at last episode they do flashbacks to remember all those we lost along the way, all the villians, all the brotherly moments, all the couples, and most of all the bonnie, caroline, and elena moments

48. DENNIS SHEAFFER says:

Vampire diaries season 8. I would like to see as many of the mystic falls season one cast reunite in a final battle against an evil that threatens everyone and requires vamps witches, hybrids to beat it and it takes all season to set up. With a semi happy ending. Please don’t kill everyone off.

49. J says: