Quantico Season 1 Episode 17 Recap

Quantico Recap: The Parent Trap

So I’m going to flat-out say it: Shelby’s parents on Quantico are terrible, no-good monster people.

What kind of mother or father would leave their child to assume they’d been killed in one of the worst terrorist attacks in American history? And then, once they pop up alive again, shake said child down for thousands?

Horrible (yet pretty) people, that’s who. And they pull another terrible con on Shelby in this week’s episode. Another question related to the hour: If Alex and Drew have sex in the forest, does anyone care? Read on for the highlights of “Care.”

GOOD WILL HUNTING | The episode opens in the present timeline, with Simon and Ryan sharing a drink and some information at a bar. “Alex would kill me if she knew I was here,” Simon says, but of course that’s not true: Just after Simon lets Ryan know that Alex needs him to track down an asset the CIA is holding, he surreptitiously slips a tracker into Agent Booth’s pocket.

Meanwhile, Alex and Simon hatch a plan to extract this asset — read: captive — the CIA’s been holding (and whom the terrorist has requested) and question him or her in relation to the terrorist’s plot/whatever was stolen from the lab at Columbia during Claire Haas’ event. And they do so, posing as Ryan and Nimah to get past the safe house’s guards. Once inside, they discover that the “asset” is… Will?! And he’s not looking good.

IN THE DRIVER’S SEAT | Turns out, Will has been in custody for seven months; he doesn’t even know about the terrorist attacks in New York. And before you can say “incredibly poor choice of guards,” Alex and Simon have absconded with their former classmate… and bring him TO HER APARTMENT?! Wouldn’t that be the logical first place for anyone to look for her/them? Anyway, Will informs his friends that he was in custody because he cracked the NSA’s encryption software and is keeping all of the military codes in his head.

So when the terrorist calls with meet-up coordinates, Alex tells Will to run — but he says he’s going to go. “I will help you stop this terrorist from the inside,” he tells Alex. “Just think of me as your personal Trojan horse.” When the baddie also requests that Simon join Will during the handover, Simon tells Alex everything will be all right. “I’ve come back from the dead before, right?” he jokes grimly.

So they get in the terrorist’s car, and he/she/it commands Alex to hand over the phone to the driver, because her stint as a patsy is done. But when the window rolls down, the driver is… Shelby?!

SHELBY’S PERSONAL HELL-BY | Which is interesting, because Ms. Wyatt is the focus of this episode’s Quantico-era timeline, too. On a class trip to Canada — in which Liam tasks pairs of NATs with getting back to campus without the aid of passports or IDs — Caleb arranges for Shelby to meet with her fugitive parents.

Her folks’ explanation for faking their deaths in the Sept. 11 terror attacks: Their company sold weapons software to the Taliban, unwittingly arming the enemy. When they realized, “we had to make a decision fast. We changed the flight manifest — we made that software, too,” Shelby’s dad tells her. They say they couldn’t send for her because they didn’t want her to have a life on the run, and it makes me afraid for the future security of our country that Shelby so thoroughly eats up all their BS.

But Caleb is skeptical, and when he plants a phone in their hotel room, he catches them discussing whether or not Shelby ” took the bait” and making plans to grab the first flight after their daughter transfers them more money. So Caleb intercepts, informing the Wyatts that he’ll give them $5 million if they agree not to talk to their daughter ever again. So they skip out of Canada, and Shelby (in my opinion) far too eagerly accepts her boyfriend’s explanation that there was a security threat that made them run. As the episode ends, she’s happily (and obliviously) looking for another foreign locale where they can have a second family reunion.

BORDER BLUES | Elsewhere up north, Alex and Drew partner up and wind up traveling over land to get back to Quantico. That means they end up in a cabin in the woods, and given the sexy music in the background and the fire in the fireplace, is it any wonder they end up doing the deed?

In other NATs-trying-to-get-back-to-school news: Will and Iris drop trou in order to get deported on indecency charges (which doesn’t work) and Raina and Nimah do a twin switcheroo to bypass Customs and Immigration (which does work — and saves Miranda’s program for them, too).

1. kate says:

I wish they had delved into the cult story earlier (which I realize they couldn’t because they needed a character like Will) because I’m starting to think they are more behind everything (hell and that Shelby maybe unwittingly got caught up in it because if you will remember at the time of the explosion she was sleeping with Caleb’s dad who died) and Caleb is the reason but not the culprit. Because otherwise they are setting the audience up like I suspected him and him being missing is odd but he had the fact that he exonerated Alex and even though I thought it was ridiculous he was forcing Shelby to meet he had good sense. Of course Shelby discovering everything would explain her. Speaking of what has been with Shelby the past four weeks she seems like she is on something.

I have no opinion on Alex and Drew. I have no issue with Alex sleeping with whoever but other than Ryan, I am questioning her taste.

2. dan says:

What was that mess? This show makes no sense. Why am I still watching?

• Rachel says:

Seriously ask myself this every week.

• Jill says:

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one. I haven’t gotten through a whole episode in a couple of weeks. I start to watch about 10-15 minutes and then change the channel. I have caught the last 10 minutes of tonight. I really have to be done with this show.

• dan says:

I have clearly dozed off during certain parts of the last few episodes. That is the only way to explain why I have no recollection of certain scenes taking place or plot points being explained. Either that or the writers and editors are trying to confuse us so we have no way to connect their previous plot holes with current storylines.

• wrstlgirl says:

I bailed a couple weeks ago. I got really tired of Alex being super woman and all the others being portrayed as weak links. Just read the write ups now but I think I’m done with that now also.

• constructive says:

So why do you keep reading the weekly updates and imposing your negativity on those who still watch? Seems maybe you should go do some volunteer work with your time, or use your time commenting on as something you do watch?

3. James says:

OMG. What a mess.

This show actually makes the plots and police work on The Following look like a masterclass. And that show was chock full of mess. But lord, this has delved into a whole new level of stupid now. I don’t even think we are at the “let’s hate watch and giggle together” point yet because the show wants to be taken so damn seriously. Whew.

4. Kelly says:

My head hurts. I need Cliff Notes for this show!

5. bigdede says:

How many men is Alex going to sex on this show? Is Simon next? How can the show make us want to root for Alex/Ryan as a couple when they have Alex dumping Ryan for stupid reason and have her sexing up old man Liam and this Drew guy. I know ABC right now is pissed they renewed this crap. Usually first season are excellent and the show starts to decline from there. But this show has already declined and it’s only the first season! The main problem is how they are writing Alex. She’s all over the place yet she’s suppose to be the star of the show.

• Matty Walters says:

ABC are kicking themselves for renewing? Is there a link for this? Thanks. I gave up on it after it came back from mid-seasin. Didn’t last 20 mins – it was when the 2nd batch of recruits came on, and I just thought, “You know what, I can’t be bothered any more.” I didn’t think it deserved a second series a longtime ago before mid-season. Then again ABC are kinda desperate right now, they will renew any old garbage.

6. Heather says:

I only watch for Simon at this point.
    There is no way the two CIA agents wouldn’t have recognized Alex’s face she was public enemy #1. Are we supposed to believe the CIA didn’t pay attention to the biggest home grown terrorism attack that was the Grand Central bombing? Her posing as Nima shouldn’t have worked.
    Also I don’t think they are doing a good job with Alex’s relationship drama (my least favorite part of the show) Drew said practically the same thing Ryan did about her being a distraction that’s just lazy writing! Plus they never established her and Liam’s relationship one day she’s black mailing him then nursing him then screwing him. I still don’t get why she would’ve cared for him when he was drunk.

7. Marie says:

They said the last two minutes would shock you. Well based on the episode I saw it coming a mile away who would be driving the vehicle. I would have been more shocked if it was anyone else driving the vehicle.

• dan says:

The only thing that shocked me was the ridiculous story that Shelby’s parents told about their escape on 9/11. No way that could’ve happened and the whole premise (“we were on a plane on the tarmac at Boston when the plane hit the World Trade Center so we knew we’d have to hide from the government and leave our daughter behind to think we were dead because we sold arms to the Taliban”) was ludicrous.

8. Sandy says:

I thought at the beginning of the season this was a great show but now? The writing is clumsy and underestimates the audiences intelligence. They need new writers!

9. Gerald says:

I’m still enjoying the show. I like how they are being trained at Quantico. Granted I do not like the fact that the FBI outright dismissed the bombing as the act of one man and gave Alex such a hard time about believing it was a bigger conspiracy.
    But it is a TV show and I am enjoying the ride and am interested in all the characters.

10. Whatevah says:

I started watching last weeks episode and five minutes into it I removed this show from my DVR. It’s horrible.

11. Cindy says:

I HATE how the show switches back and forth from the present to the future…or from the past to the present. Either way……it makes it very confusing!

12. Just For says:

I watch for Priyanka and only Priyanka. Hell if it didn’t have her, I wouldn’t have even watched it. Now I just wish it would end so I could stop watching it. I’ve only ever stopped watching one show mid-way through a season (Beauty and the Beast), after this mess is sorted (i.e. remaining episodes air) I certainly wont be watching the second season onwards…

13. Bry says:

it’s getting tiresome!!

14. Vandana says:

This episode was too confusing. My super concentration didn’t work. As I failed to understand a few things I read this article n my confusion still hasn’t cleared up. Since Priyanka is my favorite, I’ll keep watching till the series ends!!

15. Narayani MV says:

I watch it for Priyanka. But this show is getting on my nerves. Twists, unncessary dramas.. It seems my patience is being tested..