The Vampire Diaries Spoilers

Vampire Diaries EP Talks Stefan's Fresh Hell: Paul Wesley Gets to 'Wreak Havoc'

Paul Wesley is giving Nina Dobrev a run for her money on Friday’s Vampire Diaries (The CW, 8/7c).

“He gets to play Stefan and a guy who’s inside Stefan’s body as two completely separate characters,” executive producer Julie Plec, who also directed the episode, explains to TVLine. “His body is being inhabited by a pretty nasty, evil vampire from the late 19th century who’s going to wreak some havoc over the next episode or two.”

Adds Plec, “Paul always loves a good challenge as an actor. He really threw himself into this episode, 100 percent. I’m very proud of him, and I think people are really going to respond to his performance.”

As for how Stefan’s latest body-swapping predicament will continue to shape his ever-shifting dynamic with Damon…

“The whole purpose of this season was to show what kind of man Damon could be in the absence of the girl he believes makes him strong,” Plec says. “One of the biggest lessons Damon had to learn is that it’s not just Elena who makes him want to be a better person; it’s the other people that are important to him — only he hasn’t quite caught up to that realization yet, so he’s making bad choices impacting his relationship with his brother and with Bonnie. The rest of the season is about trying really hard to bring those two very powerful relationships back to a good place with him.”

But because I believe in ending on a hopeful note — at least for all you “Steroline” ‘shippers out there — Plec hints that Caroline and Alaric’s relationship might not necessarily be written in stone. Or even hell stone.

“Interestingly enough, in this particular storyline, we chose not to go back and show you how it happened,” she says, confirming that we won’t be seeing any Caroline/Alaric flashbacks. “We chose to talk about it in the present and understand it through the present. We’ll get a sense of why Alaric thinks the relationship can and will work — and maybe Caroline is still having her own doubts.”

Your hopes for the rest of TVD‘s seventh season? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Mary says:

HERE FOR STEROLINE

• Jessie says:

This was a really good episode showcasing Paul’s acting abilities. I really liked it and that’s saying a lot because of this awful season. Loved the Defan scenes and I’m starting to really like Valerie and Rayna. Wouldn’t mind a Stefan/Rayna pairing. I’m hoping we get some more Calaric scenes since they are engaged and Caroline has to have some feelings for Alaric even if she got engaged for the twins. I think if written right Calaric would be good together. Missed Bonnie in this episode though and the lack of Bamon was also felt….hope JP can fix the error of not having Bonnie/Bamon in a lot of scenes next season. They need to have her in all 22 episodes.

• Valerie A. Mendez says:

Mary,
      You may be right, but I truly believe Caroline knows deep down Klaus and her are met to be. Maybe in the future but for now she’s in engage to Alaric, I don’t think it’s going to last. But hey will see.

2. wrstlgirl says:

Sounds like more of the same just tweaked a little bit to make it seem different. But I’m still watching anyway :-)

• spindae2 says:

I already watched it and really enjoyed it. It seems like a lot of the same but the Defan story climaxed and came to some sort of resolution. The direction changed.

3. Elizabeth says:

I hope that Caroline leaves Alaric, and then goes back to being friends with Stefan. They were great as friends.

• Chloe says:

I’m here for Stefan and Caroline going back to being friends. He has more chemistry with Valerie and Valerie is growing on me.

• Valerie A. Mendez says:

ELIZABETH THANK YOU, FINALLY SOMEONE WHO THINKS LIKE I DO, THEY SHOULD NEVER BEEN HOOKED UP, THE WRITERS WERE WRONG ON THIS. I THINK THEY HAD TO PUT SOMETHING IN BECAUSE THE RATINGS WERE DROPPING. JUST LIKE ELENA AND DAMON SHOULD NEVER BE OR SHE SHOULD OF NEVER BEEN A VAMPIRE, THEN THEY GAVE HER BACK AS HUMAN WITH MORE “BS”. YOU GET ME, TOO MUCH. LET THEM BE FRIENDS AGAIN . I TRULY DIDN’T LIKE IT WHEN THEY HAD THEM HOOK UP , TYLER WASN’T GOOD ENOUGH, MATT COULDN’T DEAL , STEFAN WAS AN ATTRACTION SHE WANTED SINCE SEASON 1. I WATCHED THE VAMPIRE DIARIES FROM SEASON 1 TO NOW AND I SEEN AND HOW KLAUS TRULY WANTS THE BEST NONE OF THEM, NOT EVEN ALARIC CAN OR WILL EXCEPT HEŔ, KLAUS SHOWED AND PROVED HE THERE FOR HER EVEN IF HE’S NOT WITH HER. AND I WILL ALWAYS BE A SUPPORTER OF KLAUS AND CAROLINE. MAY KLAUS AND CAROLINE FOREVER BE💓

4. Dani says:

It’s been 2+ seasons of steroline…..

E-N-O-U-G-H

Free Caroline and let her be SINGLE

• Riley says:

Agree with all of you. I’ve had enough of sterobore, this should’ve been finished in s6. I like both characters but not together! Put them with other people that have chemistry and where I don’t want to vomit when they kiss.

• Valerie A. Mendez says:

IT SHOULD OF NEVER STARTED WITH CAROLINE AND STEFAN. WRITERS SHOULD OF KEPT THEM FRIENDS PERIOD, POINT BLANK.

• Valerie A. Mendez says:

Let her be free, Klaus told her small town boy, small town life,will not be enough for you and he also told her he will be her last love. But yes please free her, let her fly like the free bird she is

5. Stacey says:

Foget Steroline, bring back Klaroline!

6. Sara says:

Yawn. Basically he’s going to do ‘ripper’ Stefan again…just bounce back and forth between the two. Its funny how they think they’re so original on this show, but they just rehash the same crap over and over.

7. Jason says:

Alaric and Caroline together remains bizarre. Her doubts are as much the audience doubts at this point. Had Candice not gotten pregnant, this plot likely wouldn’t have happened. Let’s also not forget that he’s mortal. Even if they are together for the next fifty years, eventually she’ll be moving on.

• Tavia says:

I think that’s fine if they’re only together for awhile to raise the girls. This is a vampire show where vampires live forever so ofc they are going to have more than one mate. I see more chemistry with Alaric then I do with her and Stefan. I think S/C are and were much better as friends and the writers shouldn’t have messed with that.

8. Great article about Stefan in this episode, and I also love what Julie Plec said about Damon and his journey this season. Really puts the constant mantra of “I met a girl and she made me better” in a more logical context. Also puts his decision to desiccate in a different light (more in line with his bedside speech to Bonnie in 7×14 than the reasons he gave to Stefan and Alaric), and I love that she said that he’s going to be learning the lesson of how vital the Bamon and Defan relationships both are to him, how they matter just as much as his relationship with Elena.

• Tavia says:

I concur!! I’m sick and tired of hearing that lie “I met the coffin girl and she made me better” nonsense. Hope to see some character development for Damon soon.

9. KT says:

Ugh, can this show please end like… now.

10. Sharon says:

Please no more romantic Steroline!! Let them be just friends!

• Shaun says:

there was too much chemistry,they either had to move forward or rip it apart.

• Maddi says:

LOL SC have too much chemistry? LMAO! SC have ZERO romantic chemistry that’s why everyone doesn’t understand why they “ripped” their friendship apart. They had a great friendship why can’t we go back to that??????

11. Bri says:

I stopped watching TVD after season 5, it just tanked and I keep up with their FB page to see if anything particularly exciting will drag me back but every now and then I try to watch an episode and I’m not convinced.

That said throughout every new season its so gross how much they’ve trashed Caroline’s character by literally passing her off to every guy of the cast. After Season 2 she became such a strong character and I was excited to watch her grow and kick ass but its sad that shes been everyone’s leftovers. Damon, Matt, Tyler, Klaus, Stefan, and now Alaric? They need to stop. I’ll always want her to be with Klaus but if shes going to be with Stefan then they need to make her stay still and stop jumping to the next cast member.

The Originals is way better than TVD.

12. ElaineR says:

I love this show. I am a huge fan. I can’t wait to c if Elena comes back to life and gets back with Damen. where was Bonnie in the last episode? missed her.

13. “One of the biggest lessons Damon had to learn is that it’s not just Elena who makes him want to be a better person; it’s the other people that are important to him — only he hasn’t quite caught up to that realization yet, so he’s making bad choices impacting his relationship with his brother and with Bonnie….”
    Excuse me…. What other impact do Stefan and Bonnie have in Damon’s life than making him feel miserable and guilty?? I’ve lost the counts of how many times Stefan said how bad and selfish Damon was… Hello, has he forgotten that time Damon blew up himself to bring Stefan back to life? And not only Stefan, but Enzo, Matt and Tyler? I guess not… And how about Bonnie, who became more of a side kick to Damon than the powerful independent witch she was before she died in season 4? I can’t recall hearing her telling a compliment to Damon at all…
    The most important relationships to Damon are what he has with Elena and Alaric. Those really caused an impact in his life. I dare to say that Rose was a much better friend than Bonnie could ever be… She understood him, and didn’t make him feel like shit.
    Oh…. And don’t get me started on Paul playing someone impersonating him. This seems much alike the whole Stefan-Silas plot… Except that they were doppelgangers…
    Anyway…. The show, producers and even the cast became a real joke… I can’t wait for this show to be over, so the ghost of the real show that I really loved stop haunting my life.

• Mac says:

How has Elena impacted Damon? She hasn’t made him better. He’s killed and hurt people while with her and some have been her own family and friends! LMAO How the heck has Bonnie made him “feel bad” or hurt poor whittle Damon’s feelings? She’s done nothing but sacrifice herself over and over again for not only him but that whole damn scooby gang. Stefan also gave his life and gf up to save Damon’s life. Elena is nothing more than the Katherine that Damon finally got which doesn’t make Elena special. The reason de fans like her is because she doesn’t make waves for Damon when he does stupid things. Most of season 5 was Elena just shaking her head or rolling her eyes at Damon (well that and sex) because there were no real conversations between them.
      As for you wanting the show to be over it’s YOUR choice to watch or not watch. No one is making you tune into this show so here’s a thought, find another program that you do enjoy or how about you go out and get some fresh air…maybe that will give you a fresh perspective.