Young & Hungry Spinoff

Young & Hungry Spinoff: Ashley Tisdale to Star in New Freeform Comedy — Plus, Misfits Adaptation in the Works

Freeform is hungry for more Logan Rawlings.

The network on Thursday announced that it’s developing a spinoff of Young & Hungry, which will follow Ashley Tisdale‘s spunky lesbian character as she sets out on a new, to-be-determined path. In addition to executive-producing Young & Hungry, Tisdale has also appeared in two episodes.

Of course, Tisdale’s spinoff is just one of many(!) new series in development at the network. Read on for a full rundown of everything else Freeform has in the pipe:

* Later Bitches, a half-hour comedic talk show described as “late-night talk meets Sex & the City.”

* The Deep, a supernatural drama set in the “mermaid-obsessed sea town of Bristol Cove; everyone’s lives will change when actual mermaids come ashore, causing sides to be taken, loyalties to be tested and a war between man and mermaid to begin.”

* Hunted, a drama from executive producer Mila Kunis which “centers on Valerie, who escapes prison to prove she did not murder her husband. While the police hunt for her and attempt to prove her family helped her escape, Valerie fights to exonerate herself – but is she really innocent?”

* Lore, a sci-fi drama about the “lone survivor of an ancient race of paranormal beings who is abducted and forced to put his extraordinary abilities to work for the government.” McG (Shadowhunters) will executive-produce.

* Misfits, a drama in which ” a group of twenty-somethings are exposed to a mysterious chemical, and subsequently develop peculiar superpowers,” adapted by Josh Schwartz (Chuck, Gossip Girl) from the hit British series.

* New People, a dramedy about a “middle class family who adopted identical twin boys at birth. One is all boy, one grew up trans.” It’s based on the book Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family.

* Nine Years Under, a drama about a “law school grad who blows off the bar exam to take a job at a funeral home after the sudden death of her mother.”

* Rising, a drama “set in a low-income Latino neighborhood … told through the eyes of an 18-year-old girl destined for greatness.” Selena Gomez, Mandy Teefey and Aaron Kaplan are attached as executive producers.

* Alone Together, a comedy in which “two misfits from different backgrounds try to make their way into the vain and status-obsessed culture of Los Angeles. Along the way, they find salvation in their male/female, strictly platonic friendship.” The potential series hails from The Lonely Island’s Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone and Akiva Schaffer.

* Made in LA, a comedy “centering on two friends who join their different skill sets to become fashion entrepreneurs.” Josh Schwartz, Stephanie Savage and Mila Kunis are credited as executive producers.

* Paige One, an Elizabeth Banks-EP’d comedy about a “children’s book author who hates children. Her life is turned upside down when her brother shows up on her door with his two young daughters.”

Your thoughts on any (or all) of these in-development projects? Drop a comment with the shows you’d most likely watch below.

1. sarah t says:

Sounds interesting. I’m not sure how many of these I’ll actually tune in for given the ridiculous delay of Switched at Birth. They might as well retitle it to Reunited in Death for as long as it’s going to take the next season to get here

2. Tyanna says:

I like Rising, produced by Selena Gomez. We need more latino representation on television

3. Infinite says:

No word on Nicki Minaj’s show?

4. Wee says:

The U.K. Version was so good not sure I trust a US version of misfits

• ? says:

It is an awful idea, but even more awful because Freeform could never do it as dirty and raunchy as it’s supposed to be.

• Tedi says:

I COMPLETELY AGREE! If you can’t curse, show somewhat graphic violence and sex or just be overall lewd. What is the point? Not to mention if they try, Million Moms or whatever, are going to be all over them. It’s gonna go down worse than Skins did on MTV

• just_me says:

Was planning on saying the same thing. Glad someone beat me to it.

• Elle says:

Omg right?! That’s the worst channel to pick-it up. Could you imagine how great the American version would be on FXX or HBO?

• Wezza says:

I know right loved the u,k version but this version will b so toned down it will end up getting cancelled anyway. remember Nathan having sex with that girl then she turned into a 90 year old woman was so funny not this show

5. N says:

Unless Misfits is on HBO or starz we don’t need a remake. Also where the hell are they gonna put all these shows.

• johnhelvete says:

All of the above shows are in development, half of them probably wont even end up as pilots let alone get on the air.

6. leah says:

I feel like the lonely island doesn’t belong on freeform even though they are trying to change their image
    they’d do better on TBS or FX

7. Emily says:

Let’s just hope that Misfits US is better that Skins US

8. fiberlicious says:

If these are what made the cut, I shudder to think what didn’t.

9. jerrired says:

The first two seasons of Misfits, and three wasn’t terrible, were pretty great. I love Freeform and I appreciate the network for trying new things and sometimes going the less traditional route with programming. However, this seems like a really bad pairing. Remaking Misfits at all seems like a bad idea. Just too edgy for Freeform, and the writing/cast, I can’t see them living up to the original cast at all. Hopefully, it is not as epically bad as the Skin remake. The best I can hope for is that it takes a Being Human/The Office route and tries to copy the original season 1 but finds its own way by season 2.

10. Riana says:

So will Jessica Lowndes be in the spinoff?

11. George H. says:

Anyone remember Misfits of Science from the 80’s? Courtney Cox was in it. I really, really loved that show. Was so bummed when it was cancelled.

12. Eric says:

Wow. There is not one thing in there that I want to see. It’s like freeform is becoming the lifetime channel for teens. Total garbage.

13. J says:

ABCFamily/Freeform series seem to be so hit or miss for me. Some of the synopsis sounds really good and some of them made me LOL literally. I do wanna watch the one with Bella Thorne though.

14. Lindsey N says:

Misfits? Really? The only UK to US adaptation that I think went well was The Office. I could MAYBE see Misfits done on another network but definitely not Freeform. Bad idea.

15. ScottJ says:

There’s already a current TV show called The Deep. This is going to be confusing.

• It’s likely they’ll change the name because of that. THe shows are still in development which means things can change. Even Young and Hungry had a different name when it was in development.

16. iHeart says:

wow that’s a lot of shows, but not all of them will be picked up

17. Wezza says:

Misfits????? on a family channel no way what made it so good was its dark humor so everything that was good about it will be gone so children can watch it ( no way ) its in a way got the same humor as shameless but thats on showtime so i ask why is misfits on freeform its cancelled already

18. Kara says:

Ashley Tisdale’s show for sure! I also like the idea of New People and maybe Paige One and Misfits. The rest sound pretty lame.

19. John NYC says:

Tifale’s character on Young and Hungry was entertaining so that’s one I’ll sample.

While unfortunately that original show, Y&H, strikes me as having run out of ideas. Funny enough buts but that apartment us getting WAY small.

20. Ally Oop says:

I like the sound of Rising and The Deep. I think its about time we get a mermaid drama on tv. I enjoyed H20 from Australia but that was a show for a younger audience.