Gilmore Girls Revival Luke and Lorelai

Gilmore Girls Revival Ends on a Cliffhanger?! Plus: Lorelai and Luke Are Definitely Not [Spoiler]

It appears Amy Sherman-Palladino’s elusive Final Four words end with a ?!?!?!?!?

In Entertainment Weekly‘s just-released cover story on Netflix’s Gilmore Girls revival, Lauren Graham hints that the climactic exchange — rumored to be shared between Lorelai and Alexis Bledel’s Rory — is more cliffhanger than closure. “It’s not as resolved as I thought they would be,” she tells the mag. “I keep saying, ‘Hey, does anyone else notice this is actually not an ending?’ Amy and Dan just giggle at me.”

GGBledel, meanwhile, concedes that, “It does kind of throw you.”

Far less ambiguous is the status of Lorelai’s relationship with longtime love Luke when the action picks up eight years after the series finale. The EW piece confirms that the duo are still not married.

Sherman-Palladino, meanwhile, re-extends an invite to Melissa McCarthy to return as Sookie. (As you’ll recall, MM insists she never received the first invite.) “We’ve just put it out into the universe; we’re here until May 10,” she tells EW. “I know what the scene is. I’ll pre-light it for her. She can drive up, run in, shoot it, and run out. I can get her in and out in two hours.” (Update: She’s doing it!)

1. Not married?!?! Now ASP has me worried about my favorite couple in all of tvdom past and present.

2. Courtney says:

Hmmm a cliffhanger, whaaaaa? Not a huge fan of that. I just want to see them all happy and moving on with their life.

And Rory/Jess and Luke/Lorelai together.

3. Marcie says:

I don’t really understand why ASP is extending the invitation through EW.

• Bryce says:

Me either. The whole thing feels strange. I get that when shows end people drift, but there’s no way ASP doesn’t have her number in her phone. If MM doesn’t end up in the final product, it’ll be the most inexcusable thing since Miranda’s absence from The Lizzie McGuire Movie.

• Dj says:

Tbere is a theory that MM had agreed to come back months ago, but they time announcing her return with the release of her movie.

• Falcon says:

It all smells like PR to me. She’s having this out in the public so that when MM declines, it won’t get blamed on her (or her inability to handle her affairs in a professional manner. Geez.)

• Patrick says:

She’s “putting it out into the universe” which is hippie non-sense (unlike a lot of hippie beliefs which are, no kidding, very sound). MM is busy. Her agents need to be contacted so that a schedule can be worked around. I feel like ASP doesn’t want anyone on set that is “bigger” than ASP. Only Jared Padelicki is currently close to being a big enough star to tell ASP to pound sand, but he’s a bit character at this point on GG. MM’s presence would become the story, not ASP. And ASP cannot, will not, have that. In every interview she’s come off as a tin pot dictator. Further, the breathless updates on this very site have seen their tone change recently, at least in my opinion. The giddy anticipation became guarded optimism, which in turn seems to be sliding into worried anticipation. Again, just my opinion about the tone of updates from here and around the web. This is going to be closer to S6 than the glories of the earlier seasons.

• misery chick says:

Patrick-
        I agree 1,000,000,000,000%
        ASP really seems unpleasant, unprofessional and…jealous 😠

• Winter says:

Actually I read the EW article and she says she has been talking to Melissa’s reps (Melissa and Amy are repped by the same agency) and they keep saying it won’t work for her schedule. That’s why she’s throwing it out in public so it gets out there that she’s trying and I think so Melissa can hear from someone other than her reps that they will get it done as quickly as possible.

• Patrick says:

If that’s true, great. Public pressure would be needed to get MM back. But, maybe, schedules really won’t synch up. MM is busy right now. She’s promoting a movie, and she’s getting ready to promote Ghostbusters. So………Not a lot of free time.

4. Maybe Luke and Lorelai are the wedding teased in one of those behind the scene pictures someone took? And if so, hopefully they get married on June 3rd.

5. What the hell? I’m really starting to hate revivals more and more. Still not married after 8 years? First it was Han and Leia, then Mulder & Scully and now Luke & Lorelei. There’s a reason I like fan fiction.

• Fanfiction is literally the best thing to exist ever.

• Sarah says:

Canon novels state Han and Leia were married. :)

• Amy says:

They are not cannon anymore they are legends now. And for L&L not been married, that means not Sid and Nancy either? So they are getting married now? Damm it ASP now I’m thinking this will be like season 7, and we all know how that turn out!

• Amy says:

I meant season is 6.

• David4 says:

Exactly.
          A friend of mine knows how much I love the show and he’s like “It’s coming back!” and I’m like “Yes, I know, but with the original creators’. He gave me a weird look and I just went “It’s a long story”.

But just like the Dead Like Me movie, I can choose to just ignore the new ‘season’ if I don’t like it.

• Amy says:

Leopold and Loeb. She changed her mind, don’t tell Rory.

• Bryce says:

Because marriage is necessary… It doesn’t even really make sense for a couple like Luke and Lorelai, who’ve always had a very unique relationship

• Sonja says:

I’m glad that Lorelai and Luke are not married yet, because I want to see the actual wedding party which we never got to see in the first place back in 2006. Ever since then I wanted to see them getting married. And frankly, I don’t think it’s unrealistic. In real life also couples don’t marry immediately and could be an unwed couple for over 10 years.

Btw if it really is an open end I hope they will give Lauren Graham her own spin-off show, because she absolutely deserves it as THE best actress and finally should get her own show. Or of course another season with both Gilmore Girls. Anything else would be a shame! A spin off just with Alexis Bledel I definitely would not watch.

Anyways, please give Lauren Graham a good witty banter/ screwball show with her as the lead after GIlmore Girls. That’s my biggest wish for her!!

• ComeOn says:

Luke pined for Lorelei for over 10 years before finally made his move, he is not exactly quick when it comes to processing change emotionally and in life, so it makes sense they are still not married if they don’t have kids, which is kinda sad but true to real life.

• Nadine says:

I would love them to not being married. My favorite version: After all their ups and downs, they decided not to marry because their engagement in season 5 was the beginning of the end. Still, they have been together for the whole 8 years and now, despite of their arrangement to not marry, LUKE proposes to LORELAI and she accepts!

6. Daphne says:

OK well then, here’s my latest theory on what the last 4 words are:
    Rory: Are you…
    Lorelai: Pregnant? Maybe…

• Rob says:

Reverse that and I think you may have a winner. Sorry but as young as Lauren Graham looks, she’s still getting up there in age. Plus this show has always been about mothers and daughters and I think the poetry of the season (series?) coming to a close would be Rory on her way to becoming a mother herself.

• Myexbff says:

How about:

Rory- Are you?
      Lorelei – are You?

• tsevca says:

Do you realize she´d be almost 50? There would be about 30-year difference between her children. I can picture Lorelai making fun of that woman, not being one.

7. Todd Everett says:

You know what’s four words long? “Will you marry me?”

8. Amy says:

As long as Luke and Lorelai are together then I don’t really care what their marital status is. But it does make me wonder why they never got married.

• VA Duncan says:

I don’t care either. Marriage is a made-up institution from the 12th century. There are a LOT of people in the world who aren’t married. It makes no difference.

9. zeph says:

this is the saddest news. it’s like COME ON 8 years!! I would love a flashback to the wedding or sth. But not a finale of a wedding. COME ON, WE NEED THE MIDDLE! GIMME THE MIDDLE! I wanna see them having twins or kids. Don’t tell me they got plants. PLEASE.

10. ASP ruined Gilmore Girls in Season 6, so what made you all think she’d do a better job this time around?

• heatherguenther says:

Agreed. I still can’t watch season 6 through mid-season 7…it’s an awkward mess. People like to complain about S7 all the time but the trouble began the second Rory chose her grandparents over Lorelei and Luke keeping April secret when it was never in his character to keep secrets. People make mistakes but acting out of character ruined it for me. I do watch S1-5 on repeat and enjoyed the S7 concluding arc.

• ggie says:

Agree completely. ASP and others continually criticize S7, but it was just a continuation of the bad story arc that started in S6. A better story would have been Luke telling Anna that she had no right to tell him that he could not have his daughter around Lorelai . The court battle for shared custody could have happened then. S6 just attributed out-of-character behavior to both Luke and Lorelai–HATED the Christopher arc! I also cannot re-watch the same episodes you listed! I lost my excitement about the revival as soon as I found out Luke and Lorelai are still not married. To me, a good start to the revival would have been a flashback of the wedding with Lorelai wearing her “perfect dress”, with all of her other plans working out.

11. Christy says:

I’ve been going back and forth on my wish for this since revival talk started. On one hand I want them to have gotten back together the day after the finale, married soon after. Downside there is that way we wouldn’t see the wedding. On the other hand, I want them to get married during the finale. But the fact that they are unmarried makes me think of 100 other questions: Are they still together? Have they been together for the whole 8 years or is their reunion recent? Are they just one of those couples that loves like a married couple without the official paper? Is there something that got in the way of a wedding or did the timing just never work?
    I saw an EW picture of L&L holding hands so I’m choosing to see the fact that they aren’t married in the revival as a gift and pray to the gods known as ASP and DP that this means we get to attend their wedding. Which must occur on June 3rd.

• zeph says:

It could still work if the finale isn’t a wedding. They can have a flashback of the wedding. I dunno, personally, I feel like the middle part is more important than the wedding.

• Connie Pierce says:

It’s probably better to leave well enough alone with Gilmore girls and Luke and Lorlais ending kiss. It led viewers to believe they were back together which was the ultimate goal throughout. Lorlais leaving no other unanswered love interest with Chris or Luke with Rachel. To start it back up 9 years later is crazy to see the same roller coaster ride. i personal don’t want to see more of both their characters new love interest. That is just day time tv. People want to see them together not still struggling. I don’t even care to see a wedding because her dad is not there. The only way to rectify is flashback a wedding and photo shop dad in a wedding picture with Loralai and them talking about it. Then go on with a new happy married couple. If they are it already married then they missed there middle and that is not happy at all. I agree

12. I hate it when show runners are jerks like this. You revive the show and then leave us hanging again?!
    Not cool.

• Patrick says:

ASP is on her last chance. She wouldn’t have gone back to GG if she had other options. She doesn’t. Bunheads, while OK, was just a retread of GG with less interesting lead characters. Supposedly, she’s a nightmare to work with. So the offers aren’t piling in. She could get work as a writer, for anybody. But I doubt she’s interested in a situation where ASP isn’t the overall boss on set. The rest of the (majority of the) cast’s current employment could best be categorized as “sporadic.” ASP is hoping to turn this into a multi year thing, where she gets to do 6-8 eps worth of material over a year. Who wouldn’t be available? Some of Rory’s exes. That’s it. This is being set up to run and run. This whole thing is going to be a giant tease to the fan base. I’m out. I’ll read the recaps here, that’s it.

13. Nicolas. says:

Im glad they’re not marrried (yet) after all these years, WE MUST SEE a Gilmore wedding.

14. Et al. says:

Now I’m certain they both blurt out “I’m pregnant” to each other at the same time. It’s four words. It involves both of them. It’s one of those cute endings that suggest life goes on. That has to be it.

15. Will says:

I don’t understand the interviewers and the questions they ask.

WHY isn’t anyone asking ASP straight on “Did you/how about you call Melissa McCarthy directly (or her people or whoever is in charge of her) with your 2 hour offer?” Come. On. Just feels like everyone is purposefully dragging their feet. So annoyed.

• Patrick says:

This. MM has Ghostbusters coming out, which is a huge risk (if it isn’t fantastic, fanboys and girls will eat her alive). I’m sure she’d love to bank some good will with fans. You know she could spare 1 day to come on set and do something. Or 4 non consecutive days to be in all four eps. This whole things reeks to me. It reeks I tells ya.

• rinaex says:

If “Ghostbusters” is bad, no one is going to care if she did a cameo on Gilmore Girls. The show ended years ago, I will never understand the mindset that actors are forever beholden to appear on a show just because producers see an opportunity to make money years later.

• canadian ninja says:

McCarthy did kind of call out ASP on twitter when she sad she never got an invite so,.. she certainly isn’t beholden but if she doesn’t want to do it she shouldn’t try to imply she would if only…

• Winter says:

They are both repped by the same agency and Melissa’s reps keep telling ASP that it cannot work with her schedule. It would not surprise me at all that ASP doesn’t have MM’s personal number because unless you are close friends that’s not how the business works.

• ComeOn says:

It’s doesn’t work that way. Lawyers, managers, agencies, there are a lot of people involve. Even if MM and ASP talk directly, there are still all those others in between may say it won’t work. ASP probably talking about the production company sounding out possibilities (time, money…) to MM’s team, and since MM side can’t see it working out they did not pass on the offer/talk to MM, so Melissa can honestly says she never heard anything. Hence both side are telling the truth.
      Though I wish Melissa would stop phasing it this way, as it sounds like she is saying ASP is lying even if it’s not her intention.

• VA Duncan says:

Where on earth have you people been??? Melissa McCarthy IS coming back as Sookie. It’s OFFICIAL.

16. I’m gonna be mad if the revival gets cancelled on a cliffhanger

17. Luke & Lorelai better be the wedding

18. Jason says:

They may not be married yet but they better get that way before the end. Of course, it would have been a bummer if we hadn’t gotten to see their nuptials, so I’m glad they waited. As far as the cliffhanger nature of those final words, I’m sure they’re of a happy nature (pregnancy or other good news) and not worth fretting over. Also, if Melissa McCarthy needs someone to drive her over to the Warners lot, I volunteer. Whatever gets her there, even for just one scene.

19. shutuprob says:

So it sounds to me like the Final Four Words are Lorelai and Rory saying to each other, at the same time:
    “Guess what? I’M PREGNANT!”

• VA Duncan says:

Oh… my… gawd… they’ve already said Lorelai and Rory do NOT SAY THE LAST FOUR WORDS AT THE SAME TIME! And stop making such a big deal about the last four words. Amy and Dan just want people talking. They can’t be that big of a surprise.

20. David4 says:

Can we have the season 7 writers back? They actually ended the show nicely and didn’t wreck it like Amy and Dan did with all the horrible choices they made in season 6.

21. Andrew Hass says:

Maybe Luke and Lorelie decided been married wasn’t what they wanted because they were both married before and just been together was enough.Plus maybe they’re get married during one of the 4 movies and that way the viewers can see it happen and not be told it did.Plus i like that maybe not everything will be resolved at the end of the 4 movies and leave a few things hanging because in real life there are always loose ends.

22. MLO says:

After the dog’s breakfast that appears to be MM’s latest movie, she might be begging for a cameo on the revival.

23. On the one hand, I’m annoyed that they’re still not married. On the other, I’m excited that we’ll probably get to see their wedding. Bright side!

24. DJ says:

The final four words are probably “Let’s get some coffee” probably nothing major or revealing.

25. Nicole says:

This really makes me mad.. are they even together?!? Ugh..

26. Lindsey N says:

I still don’t understand all the hype about Melissa McCarthy. There were many stars on the show, and she was no more important than the main four. I know she’s the most famous one now (honestly not sure why – her new movie looks awful, as did some of the one she already did), but why is Sookie the one who is so essential? I don’t see her as any more important than Lane was for Rory.

• Lindsey N says:

Now that I’m looking, I see it’s been updated, and she is appearing. I liked Sookie but still don’t think it’s the most important thing ever and hope it doesn’t overshadow the rest of the show. I hope it makes the other fans happy, though.

27. Liz says:

Not married? STILL?! Come on! I was hoping they’d have had a kid by now.

28. Bark Star says:

So the final four words are “Who is the father ?”

29. F0ts says:

I’m sorry but I’m a bit concerned about L&L not being married by now. I have my wishes like other fans wanting to see a wedding…but honestly after eight years I was hoping they would have been married with a kid of their own…maybe a little Luke. I would have been happy with wedding flashbacks or montage. I know Luke is slow but if they spent eight years dating after all they’ve gone through…what a bummer. Lorelai is not a spring chicken…it’s Rorys time for marriage. I know ASAP wants to prove a point and try to pick up where they left off…but with time against the entire cast…everyone has aged…let’s not be unrealistic.

30. jj says:

it makes me hesitant that those famed ‘last 4 words’ won’t provide closure. We’ve waited all this time, I would be disappointed if the revival ended in a true cliffhanger

• VA Duncan says:

That doesn’t make any sense. If it DOES end in a cliffhanger then that means there will be more episodes in the future — if they don’t want to piss on fans, that is.

31. sportylady says:

I may be the only person on the planet who doesn’t want Luke and Lorelei married or even together. He treated her so poorly when April came into his life, and she wouldn’t tell him about being with Christopher when his father died–how is that the basis of a strong, healthy relationship?

32. Missy says:

Still not married, eh? But still dating, yeah? Hmm. I’m surprised they’re still together, to be honest.

I mean, I loved them finally together in the series finale but I expected things to move forward for them to still be together NOW, ya know? :)

33. Ashley says:

I really hope Lorelai does not end up with Luke. She can do so much better, and he honestly always seemed to treat her badly in their on again off again relationship. For instance, he kept her out of the loop when he found out he had a daughter. This just further shows how badly he communicates.

34. tsevca says:

It doesn´t have to be Luke, but she´ll be 47. If she´s 50 and still not settled down, dating people, she´s no longer cool Lorelai with young spirit. She´s one of the women she made fun of. Like cousin Marilyn.

35. Madyn says:

Um cliffhanger? No. Not about that. Nothing about that is okay. Also we need Luke and Lorelai even if Rory and Logan won’t be a thing. I hope she ends up with someone new because I would absolutely lose it if she ends up with DEAN of all people.

36. Linda says:

Gilmore girls.went in the ditch season 6, season 7 had a lot to deal with. I think 8 years is a long time to put love on hold. There has been a lot of wasted time. I think we will be left hanging again.I think if he has not married lorelia he really must not love her.