Law & Order: True Crime

Law & Order: True Crime Anthology Series Ordered at NBC — Up First: Menendez Brothers Murders

Look what O.J. Simpson started.

On the heels of FX’s successful American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson, NBC has greenlit Law & Order: True Crime, an anthology series from L&O overlord Dick Wolf. The first eight-episode chapter will focus on brothers Lyle and Erik Menendez, who were convicted in 1996 of murdering their parents and sentenced to life in prison.

“We’ve been talking with Dick about how to create an event series coming out of the Law & Order ripped-from-the-headlines brand,” said Jennifer Salke, President, NBC Entertainment, in a statement. “This case captured the public’s attention like nothing before it as it examined taboo issues such as patricide and matricide in gruesome detail, all against a backdrop of privilege and wealth. We will recreate the cultural and societal surroundings of both the murders and trials when people were not only obsessed with the case but examining how and why these brothers committed these heinous crimes.”

Added Wolf: “Bob, Jen and I have been focused on the natural evolution of the Law & Order brand for the last several years and are excited to extend the franchise with a scripted limited anthology series that focuses on a high-profile trial. There is no shortage of compelling real-life criminal cases, and the Menendez trial was more scintillating than most crime fiction.”

News of the Law & Order spinoff comes amid TV’s true-crime boom. In addition to FX’s American Crime Story, Netflix tapped into the zeitgiest last December with Making a Murderer.

1. Wish your articles about these so called ‘real life crime anthologies’ would stop spoiling the endings – you did the same with OJ!!! ;) Lol

2. N says:

I wish dick would quit already

3. wrstlgirl says:

Unlike the Simpson saga this is one trial that I don’t know that much about. I’ll definitely check it out.

4. N says:

I’d like to see this

5. kitsunesaru says:

I bet ACS was hoping to do this case for season 4 ;)

6. Al says:

Gosh NBC has no originality left … All Chicagos, Blacklist spinoff, crime or cop dramas

• Dysturbed says:

After years of having such bad luck with shows, they have found some success (based on what is considered to be successful with current standards) so they’re probably reluctant to move past what works.

7. Ted says:

After the success of People Vs OJ Simpson, this just feels like a desperate cash-grab on NBC’s part. Not that Dick Wolf is particularly radiating originality.

8. Just as long as we get a full intro with another theme reworking by Mike Post

9. I am starting to love NBC more and more. I love shows from Dick Wolf, so I will definitely check this out :) plus I do hope there is Chicago Law next year too :)

• Red_Right_Returning says:

I’m looking forward to “Chicago Accounting” with sexy, passionate CPAs who have nicknames like “McDouble Entry” and “McDebit” and “McAuditor”!

10. Mary S says:

I have no interest in this story. I watched it “live” and have no desire to relive it. I like stories that are self-contained within no more than 3 episodes…How to Get Away with Murder is a FICTION and we see the whole thing unfold from the perpetrators’ viewpoint on a weekly basis. There are complications and personalities and twists and EXCELLENT acting…and it’s all fiction.
    I do not want to see the gruesome details of the boys’ lives that led to the murder of their parents. Real-life tragedies are not why I watch tv. (I also do not like any of the fighting housewives shows!)`
    Yes, bring back Law and Order, but like the original, that we all loved so much it was on for 20 years!

11. Allen Dunn says:

If its the true story about the subject not some sensationalized version of the truth to sell hollywoods version like the oj viasco