The Vampire Diaries Kat Graham

The Vampire Diaries' Kat Graham: 'Season 8 Will Be My Last Season'

If The Vampire Diaries continues beyond its upcoming eighth season, it may have to do so without the help of its Head Witch in Charge.

“Season 8 will be my last season,” Kat Graham — who has portrayed Bonnie Bennett since the CW series premiered in 2009 — tells Us Weekly, adding, “I just hope that whatever I do after, the crew can come with me. … The crew is going to be the hardest thing to let go, because we are a family.”

The Vampire Diaries was part of The CW’s mass renewal last month, which also counted TVD spinoff The Originals among its 11 pick-ups. Graham promises the show’s eighth season — which very well could be its last, anyway — will be one for the history books.

“Another season is a whole other year,” she says, “and we’re going to blow it out.”

TVLine has reached out to The CW for comment. In the meantime, drop a comment with your thoughts below: Would you miss Bonnie on TVD? Do you think the series should continue beyond Season 8?

1. Guy says:

I can’t believe she has to go trough another season. #PoorKat

• Taylor says:

I’m happy for her and I’m happy for me. When she’s done I’m done. I was waiting for her or Paul to leave so I could go. Julie and the boys need to let this show rest in peace, it died seasons ago. Love Kat and can’t wait to see what the future awaits her!

2. Dominique says:

well then. they might as well make season 8 the last one. two of the female leads gone will be the final nail in their coffin, kat’s the best thing about this show.
    hope the producers and the cw are smart enough to know when they can still go out with a bang, rather than drag it out like a certain other cw show.

3. Nikki says:

I don’t get the “poor Kat”, “she has to go through another season” – she renewed her contract after season 6. If it was so awful for her she wouldn’t have renewed would she? 8 seasons is a long time to play one character and don’t blame her for wanting to go. She’s great, I hope whatever she does next is a success. Thanks Kat, for 7 (and one more!) seasons!

4. Jimmy says:

NONONONONO they ALL have to stay FOREVER!!!

5. gracelessk says:

Um, by the looks of the ratings, season 8 will be everyone’s last season.

• Wordsmith says:

Unless the CW keeps up their apparent trend of not cancelling anything, regardless of viewership.

• Taylor says:

This! lol

• Ari says:

Yea, the head honcho at the CW has said The Vampire Diaries has the longevity of Supernatural. I have a feeling unless precious Ian walked away they’d keep TVD running forever.

• Kylie says:

Ugh!!! We are suppose to believe that Ian and Paul are these young vamps that got turned at young ages…..there’s only so much suspended belief we can handle guys!! Not to mention the most important the writing has been awful these past few years don’t the makers of the show as well as the cast want to quit with integrity? I don’t blame Kat and Nina for leaving, run ladies and don’t look back.

6. Laurie says:

For the past several years, Bonnie/Kat’s portrayal of her has been my main reason for watching this show. I’m in it as long as she is so if the show continues without her beyond season 8, that’ll be it for me, too. I hope the shows PTBs give Kat/Bonnie a great storyline next season since they’ve really dropped the ball with her this year. Which is even more of a shame because after sidelining her in seasons 4 and 5, they actually gave her genuinely good material in season 6. I was hoping we’d get more of the same this year, but alas…we’re back to Bonnie being on the sidelines.

• Taylor says:

Agree with you and this was me. I watched a little of 5 then came back in 6 for her was hoping for more s/l with her this season. This season should’ve been great for everyone but the showrunning and writing keeps getting worse and worse each yr. Glad for Kat and anyone else that decides to leave. Nina got out at a great time.

• Bryan says:

she’s the only reason to still continue watching after Nina’s exit. Heck, even that last storylines of Elena was bad

7. Mak says:

This show used to be my life…but now I don’t even read the recaps..let alone watch it…they should just end the show. I’m shocked that Kat put out a statement before Ian…I was so sure Ian would be the next to leave.

• mooshki says:

Didn’t he already announce the same thing a couple of weeks ago? I could swear I had read that…

• mooshki says:

Never mind – was a click-bait headline for an interview, but it sure sounds like he’s also about ready for it to be over.

• Alvaro says:

Ian won’t go anywhere, he has nothing better to do, I can’t see him as the star of any other show. Anyway, next season should be the last one for everyone.

8. Gina says:

With awful it’s been this season I’m shocked it even made it to a season 8. The same for reign haha. But I hope season 8 is the last. Cuz then Elena can come back for the last episode since Bonnie is leaving. They can wrap it up properly like I think they should have done in the first place at the end of season 6.

9. Skadaddle says:

I wish Caroline would go in her place. I can’t STAND her Haha. Bonnie was the only character left that I actually liked watching lol.

• Autumn says:

I do too. I’ve never liked her character and was hoping the actress would leave after having a baby but no such luck. Actually I just wish this show would end it’s story lines are just the same recycled plots over and over again.

• Phoenix5634 says:

I hate when people use that garbage line, that shows recycle old storylines. Yes of course they do, every show does, life does, everything does to a degree. It’s just a matter of if your able to make a connection, and if you can, you should learn something, not complain lol, becuz the scenario is always different, it’s just the situations that remain similar, like in all things.

• Wesley says:

Have to agree, not a fan of whiny Caroline they should send her to TO or kill her off. Either one and I would be happy. Sad to see Kat (not going to be the same w/o Bamon) go but 8 yrs is a long time wishing her all the best. Now if TVD can finally bow out gracefully…

• Mak says:

No way….we don’t want her on TO! She should stay were she is

• tp says:

Even though I left TO when Klaus lost his sire line bond, I have to agree. Don’t mess up TO even more with Caroline. We have a whiny teenager, don’t need another one.

10. Kevin K says:

Hope TVD should get a proper “final season” and it hasn’t been the same without Nina Dobrev. Sad about Kat Graham’s departure.

11. Stacey says:

Hope season 8 is the last one. The show has been going down hill since the originals left. I miss Klaus and Bekah on TVD. Hopefully it will bring a fitting resolution to the characters. And if TO continues, maybe some others like Caroline and Enzo can cross over.

12. Luli says:

My bamon dream is slowly dying…. I dont see the show making it past season 8.

13. Murf says:

they better cancel this show after season 8! i mean 8 seasons is a good long time to be making a show and i definitely think that instead of drawing it out with four of the original cast members gone they should just give it a good ending in season 8! Elena could come back for the ending, and as could Jeremy and Tyler. I love this show, but season 7 has definitely been the worst season and i really want it to end with a bang, just like it started out (and with all major characters!)

• Flashrow says:

I think somebody has forgotten season five lol

• E. Ardell says:

Probably trying to block it from memory! :D.I actually only really liked seasons 1-3. That was when the show was hot and fresh. Season 4, the search for Silas… ugh. But the start of season 5 with Silas and Tessa feuding, that was promising, then they died and that useless Traveler story line began. The only story line worse than that one was the Gemini/Heretic story line. This new season started off shaky, but Stef and Dam’s bromance is kind of saving it for me. However, I am kind of glad Season 8 may be the last one too. I do hope they go out with a bang. I like when series are able to prepare for the end. I was a big fan of the books in high school, so I’ll stick with the show for as long as it goes, even if I haven’t been crazy about any season after 3.

• Valerie A. Mendez says:

E. Ardell,

I like on the vampire diaries seasons 1 through 5, the rest just sad. I truly never liked for the writers to have the character Elena fall for Damon, I mean she was with Stefan and I don’t believe in messing with family members by any means, that’s is why they truly wasn’t happy-go-lucky couple. I think the writers should of kept her human, single graduate college and move away from Mystic Falls .

14. Phyllis says:

Yes i think TVD should continue past season 8. Its a one of a kind, an there always changing it up an bringing new people in. It never gets dual. It sucks you in an keeps your attenchen. Love TVD <3

15. nadialus says:

I hope this means that they’re finally going to end the show. I never thought I’d see the day when I really hoped for a show I used to LOVE be cancelled.

16. Jason says:

I really think they need to start thinking of next year as the last. Eight years is a great run but sometimes it’s best to end before you slowly lose all the parts that keep things together. Don’t get me wrong, I’d keep watching (as long as Caroline is still there), but I’d prefer to see the show close with some grace.

17. Phoenix5634 says:

Yes this show must continue! 10 seasons! I liked last season, more and more as it went on. It was just finding its ground again after that Nina left. How could a show about 2 vampire brothers end becuz 2 girls, who they met in a small fraction of their lifetime left the show?! Find new people! It’s not the end of the world. It’s about the Salvatore brothers. I love this show, I’ll be very upset to see if end like that. And when it does end( after 10 seasons I hope ) I hope they bring on the main cast from TVD to the Originals.

18. Kristen says:

I’m sad to see her go. I can’t imagine the show moving forward with only Caroline as the female lead. I think there are a lot of Bamon shippers out there as well who will probably drop the show without her. I just hope they do her character justice. As much as I still like TVD characters and have been watching since the very beginning, I realize that the storylines feel very recycled and it would make sense for the show to end next season. Most likely both TVD and TO will end at the same time but we will see.

19. Phoenix5634 says:

Kat Graham if you think it’s their last season, why are you leaving? If it’s their last you could just ride it out. Why the betrayal?

20. Hodan says:

I was thinking season 8 was the last season anyways.

21. JDH says:

Most likely the last season anyway. The CW will most likely need to make some room on their schedule somewhere, & The Vampire Diaries (And The Originals) have had quite a good run. Besides, they set up the show that if Bonnie isn’t around, Elena will have to wake up. They can’t kill Bonnie off screen…

• Phoenix5634 says:

the CW can make room by getting rid of that garbage crazy ex or izombie, and there’s another one, can’t even remember it’s name it’s that bad. The Originals still has so much potential and great stories and acting, don’t even bring them into this. And TVD is basically only suffering cuz whinney fans can’t get over Nina leaving. If you’d actually watch this season without caring about that, it’s actually good, better than last year. But so many of you just want to complain cuz Nina’s gone, and it’s sad tbh.

• Phoenix5634 says:

The whinney Nina fans complaining about anything they can… PLUS for some reason the showrunners decided to disconnect the shows for like a year. Didn’t help matters there.

But they are reconnecting the show stories again, with guest appearences and crossovers, which is awesome. And now TVD has had time to establish a story, that I think is great, without Nina.

• Shaun says:

IZombie is about a thousand times better than VD and Originals.Only The 100 rivals it!!

• JDH says:

I’ve thought Season 7 has been great. Thinking I’m one of those people who just don’t want to watch the show cause Nina Dobrev isn’t in it is a little ignorant don’t you think? Besides no television show should last so long that it loses almost its entire original cast. Do you want the show to continue without Bonnie??? Also, while Crazy Ex, Jane the Virgin & Reign don’t crush it in the ratings, I would argue that Vampire Diaries & Originals share a demographic, & that demographic isn’t live watching very much of what the CW is offering. Might be time they bring in some fresh blood…

• Phoenix5634 says:

The downward spiral the show was put in was Nina’s fault. I don’t get why she left, do to what, lip sync ?lol. Look at the ratings between last season and this season, and then look at the comments during the same time period. Half the audience was so emotional ( mad, upset irrational)they didn’t even give this season a chance. And it really didn’t help that the showrunners kept the storylines of both shows separate. But it was honestly looking better for the show recently, they fixed the lack of crossovers issue, and TVD is finding itself without Nina. They should be doing something now to draw in new fans. Not this… Why did she even say she’s leaving, if this is the last season? She could have just left with everyone after the season. Why do this.

22. Phoenix5634 says:

I hope The Originals and TVD outlive all the other supernatural shows on different networks, and they last for a really long time. The CW honestly has the best 3 supernatural shows out there from the start, and still does, if they outlive the rest I think they could last a long time. The people who watch the supernatural shows don’t want the subject to disappear from TV altogether. So the last ones standing could really have a chance to last awhile. The Originals especially still has a lot of potential for future seasons. I’m just a big fan, and I could theorize up to like 3 or 4 seasons worth of storyline for that show, for sure if the characters from TVD and TO keep crossing over.

23. I think it’s time for TVD to say Goodbye. It had a good run and vampire-centered shows can’t last too long. Plus, the storylines are getting stale …

24. Maryann says:

The core of the show is the two brothers. The show can continue as long as they want to do it. There is a strong ensemble cast backing them with a deep bench. As long as the core writing staff is there to back them, they can continue. The show not only surviving Nina’a departure but continuing to thrive proved that.

• Kylie says:

I agree that the core are the brothers but the writing for most of the viewers (look at ratings) has been greatly lacking. I was all for Nina leaving, first because they ruined Elena’s character and felt like we lost Elena before s6. Second because the show needed a much deserved break from her and DE drama. I was looking forward to s7. Before the season started they were making claims about how the show was going to improve and changes were being made but then s7 rolls around and the storylines have been terrible. The flash forwards and Bamon was what kept me sticking through this season but the flash forwards turned out to be a dud and Bamon have hardly had any scenes. I want this show to succeed but it’s like the people in charge don’t know what to do anymore.

25. Basilheart says:

if kat leaves does that mean NIna returns?

26. Amy says:

She and much of the cast were probably a bit surprised that the show was even renewed for an 8th season. Personally I was surprised they didn’t end it after Nina left given there were a lot of happy endings already in place that could have made it easy. But this show could very possibly go on for several more seasons despite any actors that leave. Look at Greys anatomy. most of its original core cast is gone and yet there is no end in sight for the show.

• Rachel says:

I think they would’ve ended last year by the way Julie talked but the network had already renewed s7 before Nina said she was leaving. Yes this series could go on, I don’t think it matters who leaves because there’s enough viewers still watching and the network Pres has said he could see this still going for years. He used Supernatural as an example.

27. Valerie A. Mendez says:

I think the actress Kat Graham will have her own tv series. And I hope she doesn’t end up like Nina Dobrev her career isn’t so great right now. But I can’t wait to see what she does next.

28. Kate says:

I’ve watched the show since day 1 and love all the characters and after season 8 I will be very upset, still miss seeing Elena and Damon together, this is the best program I’ve ever watched. Good luck to Kat in her new endeavors .

• Robin says:

I don’t miss Dullena AT ALL and I’m glad we don’t have to see them again. I’ll be sad to see Kat go but I think this show has been played out.

29. Sam says:

Yeah I hope the show ends with Season 8. I do think the show could go on without her since this season really hasn’t used her much. (Although I absolutely love her character and wish we had more of her.) I just think its time to say goodbye. Hopefully one or two of the characters will transfer over to the Originals. It’d be fun to shake it up and its not uncommon to bring over a main character to the spin off once it ends. I really, really, really hope that Nina Dobrev comes back for the last few episodes/series finale, to give the character the proper send off and say goodbye to the show. I understand why she left, but its so annoying when major characters don’t appear in series finales because of the actors. So fingers crossed on that. I want everyone back for the finale!!!

30. Ana says:

There’s no me without Bonnie… music fades out..

31. Bree says:

Yes I will miss Bonnie on the show I think it should go past season 8 I really like the show

32. Sharmila says:

Kindly ask Bonnie to stay and continue the season.

33. Bonnie Marquis-Boutte says:

I have watched this show from the beginning. But season 7 has jumped around so much, the story line really make no sense. More blood and gore does not help a story line which is dull.
    Not sure what you have in store for season 8 but you might think about putting a stake thru its heart.

34. fatemeh.sh says:

i love this show i dont want it to be over. i also love all the actors.

35. Melissa says:

You can come up with way more storylines. Should at least round off at ten seasons. Or at least run 9 keep kat graham for a Bonnie and Damon ending. You can pull it off most people that watch the show think he loves bonnie more now anyway. Saves real life Ian Nina issues too.

36. okunola says:

I gonna miss u all

37. David says:

Yes I believe it should continue I love the show

38. Donna says:

Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!! You cannot end Vampire Diaries!!!!!!