Blacklist Spinoff Ryan Eggold

Blacklist Spinoff: Ryan Eggold Set as Male Lead Opposite Famke Janssen

It’s official: The Blacklist‘s Ryan Eggold (Tom) has formally closed a deal to star in NBC’s in-the-works (and currently untitled) spinoff series, TVLine has learned.

Eggold would serve as the show’s male lead opposite How to Get Away With Murder‘s Famke Janssen, whose character, Susan “Scottie” Halsted, will be introduced in The Blacklist‘s May 5 episode. The May 12 episode, meanwhile, will function as the official backdoor pilot for the potential spinoff.

Rumor has it that Tom and Scottie’s relationship will mirror the Liz (Megan Boone)/Red (James Spader) dynamic. On The Blacklist, Eggold’s con-man character is currently engaged to Liz. (Hope their banquet hall has a liberal refund policy.)

If the offshoot fails to snag a series order from NBC, Eggold would return to mothership as a regular.

As we previously reported, Edi Gathegiaka The Blacklist‘s big bad Mr. Solomon — will play a supporting role in the spinoff. The cast also includes Tawny Cypress.

1. Kevin K says:

Would be great if Tom Keen aka Ryan Eggold moves on from James Spader to Famke Janssen.

2. ndixit says:

I don’t know what to make off this spinoff. They are so blatantly being lazy about original content that it’s tough to do anything but shake your head.

• Simon Jester says:

And they have seriously underestimated the extent to which the show is a hit SOLELY because of James Spader.

• Keith says:

Really? Spader isn’t so much ‘acting’ as he’s delivering his lines in what I consider to be a ‘tongue in cheek’ way. It certainly takes me out of suspension of disbelief. When the show works it’s because it’s a team effort NOT ‘SOLELY’ because of James Spader.

• nano says:

I agree BL is a team effort, but BL w/o James Spader would sorta be like Shades of Blue w/o Ray Liotta…a spinoff w/o JS just won’t work.

• Gina says:

Maybe not “SOLELY”, but pretty damn close. It seems like there can barely be a show without Red AND Keen, if neither of them are on it then it will not be the same AT ALL…. I always kinda felt the other characters were expendible….except Aram….lol he’s great….

• smahone says:

I could die happy, never seeing Tom keen on my TV, Spader is the draw to the show, some may find Keen as eye candy, I find him very unattractive, & a horrible actor

• Anthony M says:

Spader has been brilliant IMO. He always is..

• PGary says:

Get a grip it hinges on Spader.

• Yas says:

Must agree with the comments below… While I wish Ryan Eggold all the best, I completely fail to see ANY reason to do a spin off based on Tom… at all. It’s being lazy and pretentious and is pushing riculousness to the extremes.

Spader is definitely the main attraction bar none and while the ensemble supporting cast does have highly praiseworthy team input… Tom’s character is probably lowest on the list. I felt more for Nick (the doctor) than I do for Tom. That’s saying a great deal.

While there are a few plotlines readily set up for Tom (the Russian Ex & his former boss etc.) I believe the great majority of people couldn’t care less if they ever saw him again. Not sure what’s going on at NBC but ppl over there need to seriously get there head’s back into the game. Of course I’m expecting the exact opposite and that the new show will be marketed and pushed with a vengeance out of sheer stubborness, lol.

• Algiers says:

I don’t know. I actually like the Tom character now. Frankly I think if he goes, so should Keen because she is almost the worst thing about the show. She and the FBI guy ( the blond – I can’t even remember his name) are neck and neck in my book and bring the show down.

• smahone says:

Absolutely hate Tom, always have, he is a horrible actor , the whole relationship thing with Liz is the reason NONE of the questions ever get answered , Maybe with him gone, Liz’s head will be back in the game

• Mer says:

I agree about Tom. Only I think the reason Ryan’s character is going is because Megan Boone is going. Without Liz there really will be no reason for Tom to hang out with the FBI and Reddington.

• Mer says:

I mean, I agree with Algiers. Grew to like his character in S2.

• nancheska says:

I wonder about this scenario: Tom for a variety of reasons decides he can’t be a single parent to Agnes…criminal past, Solomon’s out to get him, out of spite (or Russian ex-girlfriend–can’t think of her name. Meanwhile, Ressler has become Agnes’ godfather. Ressler raises Agnes….Tom more or less follows Red’s path (though I do think he’d not want to give Agnes up…but he may have to, for her safety).

• Kathy Burman says:

I agree with you the other Characters are great but James Spader makes the show. Not to mention the only reason that Tom is popular is because of his relationship with Elizabeth Keene

• Gina says:

EXACTLY!! It just CAN NOT be the same without Red and Keen….I’ve fallen in love with James Spade over the past three years. I just don’t know how this could go on without him!

• BCsDave says:

I agree. The big networks are stale with their recycling of characters and stories.

• ndixit says:

I though Blindspot was a Blacklist knockoff but here they are not even trying to hide that they are trying to copy the Blacklist. I like Janssen just fine but Spader as Red was lightning captured in a bottle. That doesn’t happen twice.

• clyn124 says:

They are being premature about a spinoff. This show needs to be established for more than three years – I agree recycling characters is boring.

• Dawn says:

I AGREE! WHAT ARE THEY DOING? HE’S LEAVING BLACKLIST? WHAT? WHY? I DON’T GET IT! IS LIZ GONE FOR GOOD? WE DON’T EVEN KNOW THAT STORY BETWEEN RED AND LZ!?!?

3. Rachel says:

Tom is an awful character who should have been killed off long ago. I like Famke Janssen but if Tom is involved then i’m out.

4. Alyse says:

I love Tom, but I want him to stay on the original show.

5. Bob Loblaw says:

So I guess this means Liz and Tom won’t be getting married…

6. Mak says:

Not liking this at all…Tom should stay on The Blacklist.

7. Mak says:

Further confirms my suspicions that Liz may die in the finale of TB…because I can’t see Tom leaving Liz & his baby..

• JenJ says:

I hope not, I kind of like those 2 together, as quirky as Tom is. I can’t see Tom going off without Liz being alive, though, but I sure do hope the speculation is wrong. I can’t even see the Blacklist going on without Red & Liz being the main 2 characters. What would be the point?

• Lucie says:

The Blacklist will be boring without Tom. Spader is great, but Red and Liz getting tedious. It is her relationship with Tom that’s holding things together.

• tvjunkie says:

unless leaving is the only way to protect them

8. dkwilley says:

BOO – i like him right where he is – interacting with Liz and Red….can’t stand Famke Janssen…

9. maybe this show will answer some of questions from the main show that they haven’t bothered to do from day one

10. Marci says:

Have never been a fan of Janssen, so if this gets her off HTGAWM, I’m fine with it. I also hope this means Liz won’t be marrying Tom.

11. kirads09 says:

I love Ryan Eggold as “Tom” but so much is going to depend on how they transition into this.

12. Rachel says:

“Fear the Blacklist.” Crappy title for a crappy idea of a show. *sigh*

13. Luli says:

Is it wrong that I’m happy he is leaving for the spinoff? His character bores me to death. This season has also been pretty dull. I know Megan Boone is pregnant in real life, but I think it was a mistake making Liz pregnant. I hope this back half of the season is better.

• nancheska says:

I don’t think they had a choice but to make Liz pregnant, cuz you could tell just by looking at Megan’s face that she was at least 2nd trimester (the jawline often gives a pregnant woman away).

14. PatriciaLee says:

I like the actor, so I’ll watch this spinoff. I don’t like the whacking of good guys, though. That’s one thing about the Blacklist that I’m not too crazy about, i.e. Red’s helpers that got killed at the beginning of the show. I’m, really, into redemption and blue sky wrap ups, so here’s hoping that will be the spinoff’s journey.

15. Paco says:

This show doesn’t need or merit a spin-off. If they do, it will probably be “13 weeks and out”

16. jj says:

If that means he won’t be on Blacklist anymore, then it is music to my ears! Can actually start watching the show again.

17. Angy says:

congratulations. I hope Tom’s character often returns in blacklist .Tom and Liz are a great couple

18. Charles g says:

good. because his existence on the show makes no sense. How Liz continues to come back to him or let him in her life shows she is weak and just poor writing.

19. VL Hunter says:

Really like him.

20. Laila says:

I don’t like it when they keep big bads on the show after they’ve been revealed. That’s why I stopped watching S.H.E.I.L.D. I was close to giving up on the Black List because of Tom so maybe now I’ll continue to watch. I definitely won’t watch the spinoff.

21. RaeRae says:

As long as Tom Keene is alive and well, I’m good.

22. mike says:

There really doesn’t seem to be to much point to this spinoff. I doubt i’ll be recording it except for the inevitable crossovers

23. Ella Jasper says:

Why does everyone hate Tom so much? I love his character. Yes, he has done some bad things, but he has always loved Liz. Quite honestly, I like his character much better than hers. She’s such a whiner.

24. Jenner says:

I Love me some Tom. He makes Liz not boring.

25. Wow,one of the best actors on TV, this is great news!….And I thought no one was noticing how talented this guy is!!!!

26. sandra says:

Not a fan of Eggold, and really don’t see the need of a spin-off. Will not be watching Blacklist Light, omly the original with the great James Spader!

27. Allie says:

Oh thank GOD! now maybe TBL can get it’s mojo back after suffering under the umbrella of “The Tom Show” for almost two seasons. I don’t understand why Spader hasn’t screamed bloody murder about his show being managed so badly.

If I didn’t know better I’dI swear the powers that be were trying to run blacklist into the ground. The ratings have dropped so drastically that the new show will tank, but, at least Tom will be gone.

• Kay says:

Actually (& thankfully bc I LUV Tom) if the new show doesn’t get picked up he’ll return to the original as a regular. I hope it flops so he stays on the main show with Liz! ☺

28. Karen M says:

Personally hoped finally Tom & Liz would get together and Tom”s life would turn around for the better….why does Liz have to have all the disappointments in her life? This has always been my favorite show on TV, but this year the shows themselves, as well as now changes with Tom leaving are a disappointment!! I’m not so sure it warrants my Thursday night devotion.

29. Leanne says:

Blacklist one of best shows onTV. Spader of course is the draw but the cast is great. they seem to compliment each other. If the new show is anything like the blacklist its a win win. Remember people you don’t have to be a 20 something to be good.

30. Superfan says:

No spinoffs please! Never a good idea and will cause the original show to lose viewers. I would consider a spinoffish sequel/sister series only once the original show has come to its conclusion, but even then…not really. A spinoff is nothing more than a weak remake of the original with little or no effort made in both acting and plot. We have all seen it before. Just leave it as is and focus on bringing the original story to an epic and mindblowing end, you know, something people will still talk about ten years after the show ended.

And as for the character Tom, Lizzy should have killed him when she had him locked up on the boat. He’s dead weight.

31. Helene says:

Love Tom, love the actor. I believe it makes it more realistic Liz would crave a normal life. I want him to stay right here!

32. Donald Brown says:

what is the blacklist like without Liz. First she is fired from FBI now she is dead. Why can’t Solomon at least get badly wounded? Like a lost arm, eye or a serious face scar at least?

33. Donald Brown says:

Do not let Solomon off the hook without some consequence for killing Liz. A wound such as a lost arm, a missing eye or a scarace would suffice, Yes?

34. Leanne says:

Spader is the root of the show. he is great. kill off Solomon. he is unrealistic and boring. no one can walk in w/o cover and not get a hit with bullets flying around..get back to the basics. Writer always ruin a good show by going off into fantasy land..

• cherie says:

How ’bout this for fantasy land? Liz comes to on the mortuary table and everybody lives happily ever after.

35. Cynthia says:

Love the show, especially J.Spader, he has the voice that goes with his character. I love the fact that he knows and has contacts on every inch of the earth. Love the Keen and Spader connection. Show wouldn’t be too much without Keen.

36. Nanci says:

IS ELIZABETH REALLY DEAD? THIS COULD BE A CON, MAYBE SHE IS NOT REALLY DEAD

37. Leanne says:

show basically was Red and keen. Without them there wouldn’t have been a Blacklist. I wasn’t really aware of Spader but since the show he is great. just to comment on the previous reply, ALL ACTORS HAVE LINES, BLACKLIST IS NOT A REALITY SHOW

38. Trevor says:

Who on earth would watch this? Then again people watch housewives and crap – so I suppose there is something for everyone.
    Good luck on this one

39. Dennis says:

Wait, are we supposed to believe that Mr.Solomon survives this debacle? He was under orders to take Elizabeth alive, but instead is directly responsible for the car accident that kills her. Are we to assume that his employer is so much more forgiving of failure than Mr. Solomon is with his subordinates?

40. Dianne F Hayward says:

Tom is great. Not a fan of the Mr. Solomon. He is a totally unfeeling very cruel mad man. Also not a fan of Susan “Scottie” Halsted. She is not a great actress, not even close. Bring Elizabeth back or recast your new spin-off.

41. Jack R says:

How about this…Tom’s ex over the course of the season softens up her BA attitude, gets to know the baby, becomes almost surrogate mom, helps Tom track down Marina Koslova’s mother, who is rogue for having RED knock her up and abandon her not leaving her an exit to the U.S. or back to Russia. All the while leaving Solomon hanging upside down in a warehouse somewhere in some two part episode with the first part ending with a phone call from Tom to Denbe and Mr. Kaplan, who in the second episode get to see justice get dealt out to Mr. Solomon, but not before he tells them the person in the Rolls wasn’t Keen’s mom but her real Dad who isn’t dead.

42. Shiloh says:

Yes! Bring it on. Also, James Spader is an incredibly gifted actor and he makes a big difference to the show. That being said, the writing, the suspense, the action, the odd, yet memorable characters of the week, the overarching mystery slowly unfolding season by season are also big reasons why I watch this show. Also, the music–well, not so much these days, as there hasn’t been as much on that front this season (I’m sure because of the cost). But I loved the music too. Even without it, the show is still my favorite TV drama rn. If NBC orders it, I will definitely give it a try.

43. Linda Uno says:

Yay! Love both Ryan and Famke!

44. donholley77 says:

Sounds cool! I’ll watch!

45. not the least bit interested in this

46. PJ says:

We really didn’t think Megan was the best actress, but the team as a whole with all characters made the show..Interested to see if she’s just in protective care at the moment or done because of her real life baby??

47. kariloupon says:

The show is brilliant and with clearly proven ability to produce success and entertainment on the fly. Personally I’m saddened by a major change but it won’t turn me off as long as Red (Spader) is fully involved in it. I love the Task Force too. IMHO, the show can certainly go on successfully without Liz (and Tom) if necessary. Tom (Eggold) getting a spinoff is bonus, and will probably be every bit as suspenseful and entertaining, though I won’t knock myself out to watch it as religiously as I do with anything James Spader.

48. gail says:

No Mr Solomon why run the same character into the ground pick a new one
    And I am really happy Ryan Egg old gets a show He and Red James Spade are why I watch Blacklist. Love those two actors they make the show.