The Powerpuff Girls Return: Grade Cartoon Network's Stylish Reboot

As of 6/5c on April 4, the citizens of Townsville are breathing a little easier, knowing their beloved trio of pint-sized sheroes are officially back in action.

Cartoon Network on Monday debuted back-to-back episodes of The Powerpuff Girls, a reboot of the classic series which ran from 1995 to 2004. And despite negative connotations surrounding the word “reboot,” much of the show remains unchanged; Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup — though voiced by different actresses this time around — still master the delicate balance of being adorable and deadly like pros.

The first episode, appropriately titled “Escape From Monster Island,” sent the girls to Monster Island — where else? — on a mission to save the Mayor. (Of course, the true drama of the episode stemmed from Blossom and Buttercup battling it out for Bubbles’ extra Sensitive Thugs concert ticket.) The follow-up episode, “Princess Buttercup,” featured the return of the girls’ most spoiled adversary, Princess Morbucks, as she carried out her latest plot to become one of the PPGs.

Though this isn’t an official review of the new series, I feel the need — as a lifelong supporter of the Powerpuff Girls — to throw in at least one of my two cents: While it’s only natural to gripe about the girls’ new voices or the lack of involvement from original creator Craig McCracken, I urge naysayers to judge this reboot with an open mind.

Unlike so many other TV reboots, and we all know there are far too many, this one seems to take everything we loved about the original series into account, even while adjusting it for a 2016 audience.

With all of that in mind, give the reboot your honest grade below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Ian says:

I agree, it was charming enough on its own, and theyve definitely tried to model it a lot after the original series, but the true test will come with the introductions of Mojo Jojo and HIM. A lot of the humor was pretty typical stuff in this first 2 episodes, and Cartoon Network is a lot more openly subversive these years than it was in the 90’s, so they should be able to keep slipping in stuff to make it entertaining for the older audience.

2. AngelWasHere says:

I loved it!!! It felt like old times, but new! Hopefully they can retain the fun and charm of Mojo Jojo.

3. Samantha says:

I agree with Ian. I said to myself we will see how mojo jojo and HIM characters unfold. It is hard to digest with the different voices, especially buttercup. It would be hard to match E. G Daily; however it still encapsulated girl power and thats why what I loved about it as a kid!

• Sabrina says:

Did Buttercup seem older, though? All three girls seemed a little more mature in this reboot than in the original. I did not fully appreciate how much the (original) girls’ immaturity was part of their charm. I don’t get that same quirk in this version — the girls are more like Cutie Mark Crusaders-age than kindergarten. I like the new girls, but their characterization seems a little less innovative.

• Sabrina says:

For example: In the original, the audience always knew that Buttercup “was the tomboy” but she did not have self-awareness of that trait, or at least, seems mostly oblivious of it. In the reboot, Buttercup herself knows that she is a tomboy. She self-consciously says, “Don’t call me princess.” She isn’t the same Buttercup. I do not know enough about child development and do not have kids, but she seems older, like maybe an 8 or 9 year-old.

Since the reboot hasn’t actually aged the Powerpuff Girls, I think the reboot is less innovative. Are older girls are cooler now? Sometimes, when watching the original Powerpuff Girls, I would find their bickering slightly irritating. But now, I think about that and am impressed because they really are little girls, with all their charms and their flaws (e.g., they can be funny without knowing they are being funny, et cetera).

So those are my two cents.

• Ray says:

You hit it right on the nail. To me I feel as if compared to the original , most of the characters’ voices feel unnatural and like imitations. I’ve also noticed that most of the staples of the original are either changed for the worst or no where to be found. Some of the minor details are missing and some of the most noticeable ones are the professors outlook, the beams of color that follow the girls( rarely expressed) ,the baby faced phone(now a smartphone), the art style and color, and the fight scenes aren’t very intense. I watched a lot of the original series on boomerang when I was growing up. Because my parents always wanted to see the Hanna Barbera classics.I’m 12.

4. Mark says:

I watched. I thought it lacked all of the snark and cleverness of the original. Also, just wasn’t funny. Teen Titans Go is a completely stupid show but even it has some genuine clever moments and jokes. This show did not have even that.

5. wenk says:

It’s really bad. Like really really really really bad. The writing is bad. The acting is bad. The animation is the laziest in decades. They use stock images from google for backgrounds. They use toon boom’s pre-rendered 3d animations where they can find them. They steal assets from other CN shows. It’s like a newgrounds fan animation, but not one of the witty ironic ones.

• Ray says:

Yes. Yes! It has lost its Hanna Barbera charm in all ways. The voice acting and its writing was supposed to be the star of the show, but from the new episodes I’ve seen, nothing is there. I understand Cartoon Network is trying to give it a reboot, but it’s been 10 years since it was cancelled. I don’t think it carries well into the new time.