The Originals Spoilers

Originals EP Teases 'Nice Payoff' From Matt's Scuffle With the Mikaelsons

We’re all excited about Matt Donovan’s special appearance on The Originals this Friday (The CW, 9/8c), but heed this warning before you start throwing around the C-word:

“I really hesitate to call this episode a crossover,” executive producer Michael Narducci tells TVLine. “I would say it’s an appearance — a special guest appearance — but I wouldn’t call it a crossover and get fans believing we’re doing some big epic thing. It’s a small story, though we do get to see a pretty nice payoff to it.”

Totally lost? Sorry, allow me to back up a bit: Friday’s Originals sends Finn and Elijah on a mission to Mystic Falls, where they encounter none other than Zach Roerig’s Vampire Diaries deputy.

“The fact is, [The Originals and The Vampire Diaries] share a joint universe, and Mystic Falls is an important place to the Mikaelsons,” Narducci explains. “It’s where Esther created vampires for the first time, it’s a hallowed ground. For reasons related to that, we’re going to see some of our characters head to that hallowed ground. They’ve got business they need to take care of, and it just so happens that while they’re there, they cross paths with someone whose job it is to protect that city.”

And if you’re at all worried about Matt going up against two ancient Mikaelsons, well… you have every right to be.

“Matt’s just a human, but he’s brave, and I’ve always admired that about him,” Narducci says. “It’s interesting to see Matt come face to face with this threat level that is so far greater than what he can reasonably deal with. Yet, without flinching, he stands his ground. That’s something I’ve always admired.”

Your hopes for Friday’s crossover episode? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Wordsmith says:

Well, we’ve seen Matt in the TVD flash-forwards, so I have a sneaking suspicion that he’ll do just fine…

2. swrwade says:

I thought that Esther created Vampires in like Sweden? or some place like that. Am I wrong?

• Mel says:

They used to live in a viking area but when Freya died and Esther told Mikael it was from the plague. They traveled and moved to Mystic Falls which the where the spell was created.

• Wordsmith says:

They were Vikings who sailed across the Atlantic and settled in Pre-Colonial America.

3. Phoenix5634 says:

Is this the episode directed by Joseph Morgan ?

4. Phoenix5634 says:

I wonder what the “upgrade” Lucien spoke of, could be…

5. Kai says:

obviously this is 3yrs from the past visit because tvd is now at present time after 3yrs jump and the hair is from matts past life…. the only thing i keep pissing is freya being treated like this.. seriously the writers has nothing to think better… they might forgot how badass freya was in season 2 and how she killed esther in just a flinch yet they keep on making her kidnapped the entire season.. so boring… wed rather see freya die than seeing her helpless knowing shes an ancient witch with so many pwoerful spells in her sleeves… for god sake kill that b*tch lucien..
    no wonder if the ball on this show is dropping because of lame story telling…

6. Lynre says:

Well Well..I would like to see more bonding scenes between Kol and Klaus like with Elijah and Finn..The episodes are all intriguing and unpredictable which keeps viewers wanting to see more and keeping us expectant.. VD is where we learnt about the Original Family and now they have their own series is rather “original” no pun intended, Narducci will keep that as its now, 2 series apart and only have guest appearances which is needed @ times..Please we need Rebekah back and then the Mikealson clan is complete,( wonder if somehow they will bring back Esther and Michael???? As anything is possible..

• Lynre says:

I also would like 2 c Kol and Klaus scenes as the 2 are very similar vicious characters, and both have 2 woman that have given them a bit of change of heart, i.e Davina and Hope.. So pls Kol is going off the rails, and with all Davina’s witch craft she cant help, so allow scenes where Klaus helps his baby bro..The mikealson all have that love- hate relationship, but Finn and freya don’t share that sentiment, however they might be a bunch of bickering lunatics but Elijah, Klaus, Kol and Rebekah stick together no matter what, bring more life to the Always and forever oath, as I’ve come to believe family above all…

7. Aina says:

Im still confused about whether the originals also made a big time jump just vampire diaries did. Right now, vampire diaries has now caught up into 3 years, and since its the same universe, i assume so did the originals??

8. Phoenix5634 says:

What’s the spell behind the page Davina ripped out? Is that the original vampire spell?

• Lynre says:

The spell locked Finn in his vampire body unable to be put in another body as a witch, pay backs a bitch Finn..

9. Phoenix5634 says:

Is Klaus going to start making hybrids again? To protect Hope/ to protect themselves from Lucien’s hired guns/ and start his new sireline?

• Phoenix5634 says:

By “themselves”, I mean the werewolves, they’d be able to fight back for themselves if they were Hybrids, or if some were. But also to protect Klaus and Hayley, and of course Hope.

10. Emmy says:

Andy I can’t describe my reaction as ‘excited’ to this crossover lately what does Matt do except brood?

11. Martina says:

Can we just get rid of Matt altogether? His character is pointless and his storylines are boring. Bring in more exciting characters as Matt is not one of them.

12. Vee says:

Honestly I think it is high time Matt(Zach) gets killed off already, he’s been on the show for way to long and is becoming kind of a pest.

13. Brigid says:

I love Matt!! I love that he is human and wants to save his home from these monsters. I hope he gives them a run for their money but I don’t watch the Originals because I can’t stomach Klaus, so I can only read the recaps. Kick some vampire @$$ Matty!!!

14. Molly says:

Wow, so someone from TO after 3 years acknowledged that the two shows share a universe – wonder how long it’ll stick. The most incredible of all is that Matt Donovan – arguably the most underused original TVD cast member is going to crossover (I assume super organically) as a result of it. It’s kind of funny, but not really.