Exclusive
Arrow Season 5 Echo Kellum

Arrow Season 5: Echo Kellum Promoted to Series Regular as Curtis

Here’s some Terrific news for fans of Arrow‘s Echo Kellum.

Fresh off of the episode in which Palmer Tech whiz Curtis Holt stumbled upon the Arrowcave, er, “bunker” and its many secrets, Kellum has been promoted to series regular status, effective with Season 5 (premiering this fall).

Kellum made his debut on the CW series in Season 4’s second episode, as the genius developer who has helped CEO Felicity Smoak keep Palmer Tech afloat.

The actor’s pre-Arrow TV credits include Ben and Kate, Sean Saves the World and You’re the Worst.

Arrow continues Season 4 this Wednesday with its 18th episode, “Eleven-Fifty-Nine,” in which Oliver and Diggle find out Malcolm wants to break Darhk out of prison and Laurel gets a surprising offer.

1. The Kaibosh says:

Good for him. But interesting…hmmm… that means there is now a superfluous “Overwatch” on the show.

2. onceuponanagentofflarrow says:

such a shame this is the last season for me. It’d have been great to have him every episode

3. Dominique says:

oohh i like that! i really enjoy his character and the excitement he brings to his scenes.

4. Elaine says:

Nice story transition to cover Felicity’s move back to Palmer Tech.

5. Lizzie says:

I liked him. He was a bit over the top last episode so I hope they tone it down. I don’t want him replacing Felicity though.

• Mike says:

Oh please. You could replace Felicity with one of those dolls that cries a lot. Add in a string that you can pull to make it say completely hypocritical and judgmental things and nobody could ever tell the difference.

• Josh says:

Except she’s not a hypocrite or Judgemental.

• Josh says:

And she doesn’t cry a lot either

• Mike says:

Uh, yes, she is. She’s a massive judgmental hypocrite. Let’s talk about how she lied to Oliver for five months about staying away from Team Arrow, and then had a complete hissy fit about him not telling her about his son and thus risking the boy’s mother taking the boy away from him forever. Because somehow she turned Oliver losing her son into ‘Me me me me me me me me me me me me me.’ Everything that happens has to be about this ridiculous Mary Sue.

• Mike says:

Err, losing HIS son, lol. Whoops.

• amb says:

I know, right?!? Like a spouse has any right to know they’re being made a stepparent, with all the legal, ethical, moral, and FINANCIAL responsibilities that go along with that! I mean jeez, just because she’d legally be liable for millions in dollars of child support, she thinks she has the right to know the kid exists! So needy! And obviously Baby Mama TOTALLY would have known if Oliver had told Felicity, because it’s not like Felicity can keep a secret! Or maybe Baby Mama had him bugged. Not like BM’s a lying ho or anything! I mean, he knocked her up…she’s a total innocent!

And you’d TOTALLY feel the same if Felicity had hidden a 9-year-old kid from Oliver for months while visiting him and preparing to make him responsible as the kid’s stepfather, because you’re not at all an idiot, right?!?

• kath says:

You’re right in that the situations are somewhat similar: Oliver told Felicity she could have him but only if she left Starling City and Team Arrowless behind, and Samantha told Oliver he could have a relationship with William but only if he tanked his relationship with Felicity (because no woman with any self-worth would put up with a lying husband).

Oliver was wrong to ask Felicity to leave something that she has loved doing for three years or lose being in a relationship with him. Samantha was wrong to ask Oliver to choose between William and Felicity.

The problem is that Felicity left Oliver when he not only kept Williams existence secret from her when Barry, Thea and Malcolm all knew, he continued to shut her out even after William was safe.
            And also that Samantha had no legal right to keep Oliver out of William’s life. There was no reason for Oliver to listen to her, which is what makes this plot so incredibly annoying.

• Julieann says:

Lying about being on the team so she could help them is totally different from lying about a child. If your fiancee or loved one lied to you about having a child. Seeing that child and lying about where they go than you would be pissed, hurt, devastated also. She even said she didn’t care he had a child. She cared he lied about something so significant. I would have dumped his ass also. I am all about Olicity, but their can not be in a relationship when there is no trust on both their parts.

• tvjunkie says:

Not judgmental? LOL. Oh man, I bet you couldn’t type that with a straight face. She’s probably the most judgmental character on the show other than Papa Lance.

• Lizzie says:

Blah blah hate hate hate blah blah. Whatever.

• amb says:

It’s so totally illogical. There’s NO WAY these people who think Felicity had no right to know the kid exists would be okay with their own spouse having a kid and not telling them. It’s utter nonsense. But because it’s Felicity, everything she does is wrong. And it’s stupid beyond words to say that telling Felicity would have jeopardized Oliver seeing the kid, bc (1) Felicity has kept his secrets for FOUR YEARS; and (2) Baby Mama could not POSSIBLY have known if Oliver had told Felicity. Just utter nonsense.

• stacy030 says:

More like. Because its Felcitu, she is perfect and right and never wrong about anything ever. She is the greatest person to ever live and she has no flaws whatsoever.

• Julieann says:

Amb you are awesome…

• Jbj says:

I blame the writer, because everyone was OTT with the “bee” puns…and I actually like puns.

6. dragon2heart says:

Filling that vacancy pretty quickly. I like it!

• amb says:

There’s going to be another vacancy on the team Wednesday night.

• Mike says:

Followed quickly by a huge vacancy in the show’s audience.

• Gillian says:

Pretty sure the few that leave (if any) will not be the entire audience. Stop spreading hate and negativity on this page. You don’t like a show or a direction it’s going? Don’t watch. Spend your time on a show you do enjoy. Don’t ruin it for everyone else.

• amb says:

I guess we’ll see. I’ll laugh forever if ratings go up and stay up bc all the people who quit bc they disliked the character who’s dying come back.

7. grass says:

I hope his season regular status means he becomes Mr. Terrific soon and not just as Felicity replacement.

• kath says:

I hope they don’t kill Paul to do it. I like the dynamic of the Curtis/Paul marriage.

• grass says:

Unless they’ve already written him out, I’m pretty sure The CW has learned their lesson about killing off LGBTQ characters

• Miranda says:

If you’re talking about Lexa – she had to die. It was necessary for both the story and because they no longer had access to the actress.

8. suzyque says:

Yay, Curtis! There’s no way he’s filling Felicity’s place in the Arrow Cave (er, bunker) for anything more than a few episodes, but I still think he brings a nice new dynamic to the show.

9. Jason says:

So he’s not going to be the one in the grave, in that ominous flash-forward. Yay for fans of Mr. Terrific, boo for fans of almost anyone else.

• I saw a spoiler pic of nthe grave! Its Laurels! She is dead ! This means Felicity will OFFICIALY become the Lead Female Character
      Wich i finde COOL! I love Felicity! And Olicity is just so dame realalistixcc! Becaus i undertsand why she broke uP! NOT BECAUS of Oliver having an Chiled but becaus he lied! And Trust is something she is neding and he broke that trust

• bbussey says:

Not necessarily. Earth-2 Black Canary will be surfacing on Flash later this year. It would be very logical to follow comics canon and have her transfer to Earth-1 sometime next season.

• dragon2heart says:

It’s a one time appearance – Katie Cassidy is not coming back to Arrow in any form. Her appearance on Flash was planned early in the season – it would have happened even if she weren’t the one in the grave. Think Robbie Amell & Firestorm.

• Julieann says:

Laurel hasn’t been the lead female character since season one. I love Laurel; I so don’t want her to die.

• Kiwisensei says:

Doesn’t look like the same grave at all. One up against trees and the other out in the open…

10. ggny says:

Maybe we are getting the JSA on TV?

11. George H. says:

I haven’t watched the last couple of episodes, mostly because I find the flashbacks monotonous.

12. Kate says:

This is such happy news for a rainy Monday. I won’t be terribly surprised that he might have been offered this along with a secret edition of the last episode of the season where he might just have the cliff hanger when we close on him in his lab and then one of the T Spheres does, well, whatever its supposed to do besides blow up.

13. Karen says:

Yay! Love his character. I wish the haters would get their own page and leave the legitimate ones alone. Don’t watch and shut up.

• Mike says:

Wow. So only people who love everything the show does are allowed to comment? Everyone who doesn’t agree with you should just shut up? Real mature.

• Jordan Strummer says:

Dude, calm down. You’re absolutely allowed to not like a show or aspects of a show and vent you’re frustrations but sometimes commenting on half the comments of people still enjoying or looking at the positives of the show with you’re negativity gets old

• I will never understand people that feel it’s there right to tell people what they can post, I feel if you don’t like the comments just ignore them, telling someone to shut up is very childish and makes me wonder the ages of the people commenting on here. I can respect what other people post and if I disagreed I read it and keeping it moving.

• suzyque says:

Me too, but I’m guessing haters are gonna hit an all-time hate high after this week. On the plus side, I’m doubtful the ratings will take the hit they’re predicting.

• dragon2heart says:

They think they know something the network head honchos don’t. They know exactly what will happen when the character dies & decided to go ahead with it anyway. What does that tell you? The viewer/ratings hit is going to be negligible. The network isn’t the least bit worried if they go.

14. Josh says:

So their will be two geniuses in the Arrow Lair Felicity when she returns and Curtis

• ktc1986 says:

Putting Felicity in the same category as Mister Terrific is like putting Thea in the same category as Superman. Sure, they do similar things, but let’s not kid ourselves that they’re equals. In the DC Universe, Mister Terrific is only behind Lex Luthor and Ray Palmer in terms of intelligence.

15. Gina says:

I love Echo, so would be thrilled about this if I was going to watch Arrow from this point on. It would be great to see Curtis take Felicity’s place, but he’d be wasted as a comms/hacker person so I doubt they’ll so that.

16. kath says:

I think Echo Kellum has been doing a terrific job (no pun intended) but I’m kind of wary about Curtis being on full time. He’s great in small doses, like Charlotte Ross’ Donna but I think Curtis + Felicity full time could get to be too much.

• Miranda says:

Then cut back Felicity’s screen time. At this point, I’m liking Curtis more, and there’s much too much Felicity.

17. LE says:

Didn’t he recently have a series ordered at Comedy Central or it was just a pilot?

18. Jason says:

Guess that means he’s not the one in the coffin, (not that I thought he was).

19. Lola says:

Such good news. I found him adorably cute last episode with his excitement. I’m happy for this news!

20. Ninoska says:

So Felicity will be the one in the grave? I mean if Curtis had been promoted to series regular where does that leave Felicity? She is taking over Palmer industries because she had left the team and Oliver at the same time, so it goes to show me, that the team needs a tech guy and they found that job in Curtis and sicne Felicity is no longer available it can also means Felicity could possible leave the show and by hiring Curis they are preparing the terrain to Curtis to step in once Felicity is gone. Felicity had ben very annoying this season is only me me and me and me. Common Felicity does not have a kid to know the sacrifices a parent had to make in order to ensure their well being, that is what Oliver did what is so wrong about that in Felicity’s mind, cant she understand that? If she would hav loved Oliver she would have understood him but instead it was only about herself, she is being selfish if you ask me.

I hope next season OIliver finds a new love interest. I always had said it, Felicity was good when she was just Oliver team member and a very good friend, the moment the writers make Oliver his love interest, it ruined everything between them and I mean everything, because love cloud people mind and do not think throughly.

• Miranda says:

I COMPLETELY agree. Besides, I never saw the chemistry between Oliver and Felicity. I may be one of the few, but I saw more chemistry between him and Laurel in season one than I ever have between them.

21. Joey Padron says:

Great news! Echo is great as Curtis on the show. Can’t wait for him to become Mr.Terrific on the show!

22. Mary S says:

Well, if Felicity is sincere about leaving the team, there is a need for a new computer genius, and he has already proven himself…and, he brings a new and child-like excitement to the team, so I can see that it will be a good fit. BUT, what’s Felicity going to do? She’s not leaving the show, is she? Does this mean that Palmer Tech is going to play a new and bigger role in tech developments for them?

23. Dj says:

This feels like the end of Felicity on the show. They add a guy who does everything she does to the team and then promote him to series regular. What’s the point of having her on the team. Just being Oliver girlfriend would leave her without her own identity.

24. Csr says:

I have 9 episodes waiting on tivo. I don’t find any of the characters to be sympathetic this season. :(

25. Jared says:

I love Echos character on Arrow. Happy to see he got promoted for next season. Good call CW!

26. Ella says:

Don’t really care for him but if he’s replacing Felicity, I’m all for it. If he’s replacing Laurel, I’m out. If Laurel dies, I’m out.

27. Roberto says:

Another fun character poorly suited to the show, which most likely will add to Felicity, since hardly the authors renounce her. Arrow owes its fame to the dark tones of the first seasons. The second season is now universally regarded as by far the best. I hoped that the next alleged Lauren’s death put an end to the good heroes and revert to black. The positive heroes would be better to leave them in Flash and Supergirl. After the cinematic success of Deadpoll and that of Daredevil on Netflix, with a Punisher absolutely great, Arrow is expected to return to develop heroic characters ambiguous and obscure. Arrow was the first show to offer us superheroes, which were basically the killers, going where not even the Dark Knight had arrived.
    Of genes that are improvised heroes in Arrow’s already been Ray Palmer who certainly did not leave a great impression, and that is considered one of the least interesting characters in Legends of Tomorrow, show where they excel the ambiguous figures of Sara Lance and Captain Cold. Back to black and characters with solid background, that are credible and not any character, that after spending a lifetime in offices or laboratories improvise heroes.

28. Remal says:

Sorry about my question.. Am way behind on watching Arrow S4
    But dose promoting Curtis to regular means less felicity, or what?!