Sense8 GLAAD

GLAAD Media Awards: Transparent, Sense8, I Am Cait Among Winners

Netflix’s Sense8 and Amazon’s Transparent took home top drama and comedy honors, respectively, at the 27th annual GLAAD Media Awards on Saturday in Beverly Hills.

E!’s I Am Cait tied with TLC’s I Am Jazz for Outstanding Reality Program.

The awards recognize media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

A list of the major TV categories from the Los Angeles fête follows. More winners will be announced May 14 at the New York ceremony.

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
Arrow (The CW)
Black Sails (Starz)
Empire (Fox)
The Fosters (Freeform)
Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
How to Get Away with Murder (ABC)
Nashville (ABC)
Orphan Black (BBC America)
Sense8 (Netflix) — WINNER
Shameless (Showtime)

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox)
Faking It (MTV)
Grace and Frankie (Netflix)
Looking (HBO)
Master of None (Netflix)
Modern Family (ABC)
Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)
Please Like Me (Pivot)
Transparent (Amazon) — WINNER
Vicious (PBS)

OUTSTANDING TV MOVIE OR LIMITED SERIES
Banana (Logo)
Bessie (HBO) — WINNER
Cucumber (Logo)

OUTSTANDING REALITY PROGRAM
I Am Cait (E!) — WINNER (tie)
I Am Jazz (TLC) — WINNER (tie)
New Girls on the Block (Discovery Life)
The Prancing Elites Project (Oxygen)
Transcendent (Fuse)

OUTSTANDING DAILY DRAMA
The Bold and the Beautiful (CBS) — WINNER

OUTSTANDING TALK SHOW EPISODE
“Alison Bechdel,” Late Night with Seth Meyers (NBC)
“Aydian Dowling,” The Ellen DeGeneres Show (syndicated)
“Janet Mock,” Super Soul Sunday (OWN) — WINNER
“Jazz Jennings,” The Meredith Vieira Show (syndicated)
“Transgender Rights,” Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)

1. Taylor says:

Hurrah for sense8! such an underrated show!

2. Eva says:

I’m so happy Sense8 got some recognition. It deserves ALL THE AWARDS!!! ;)

3. Et al. says:

When is Sense8 back? I loved season 1.

4. Pedro says:

The Aydian Dowlingepisode on Ellen was awful. He basically said that he never thought he was a man until someone suggested it, he looked up online and out of the blue decided it.

• Dude says:

Maybe that’s his truth. Doesn’t mean it happens like that for everyone. It’s not really your place to tell someone that they’re wrong about their life.

• Pedro says:

If that is the truth, the whole transgender fight falls apart, because, then, it will be exactly what the detractors say: it’s not something you are born with, it’s an internet fad.

• Erik says:

Because one person was like that? Everyone has their own story and their own journey into finding out their gender identity or sexual orientation. Let’s completely disregard the entire trans community because one person realized they were trans in a non “normal” way

• Pedro says:

I was just saying that episode was bad because it pretty much played out to people’s worse fears. But don’t trust me. watch it and see how Ellen jumps ups immediately and tries to correct Aydian Dowlinge the very second he says that…

5. Annie says:

Excellent! Love Sense8. Can’t wait for season two!

6. John Davis says:

I personally think I Am Jazz is better than I Am Cait. But, you know, both shows are in this world to bring awareness about the LGBTQ community. So, great!

7. Rosie O'Donnell says:

“I Am Cait” winning Outstanding Reality Program? I guess JUST the show having a quasi-celebrity who is transgender is all that mattered for that category, because we all agree (according to ratings) that the show sucked AND Caitlyn isn’t even a positive example/role model for the transgender community. Pandering once again at its finest.

• Will says:

pandering indeed with I Am Cait.. smh
      but kudos to them for sense8 recognition – such an underrated show!
      @Vlada – any idea when season2 of sense8 should roughly return?