Amy Adams Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects, Starring Amy Adams, Gets Series Order at HBO

Sharp Objects — a TV adaptation of Gone Girl author Gillian Flynn’s debut novel, starring five-time Oscar nominee Amy Adams — has found a home at HBO.

Per our sister site Deadline, the cable network landed the high-profile drama in a very competitive situation, giving it an eight-episode straight-to-series order.

The story follows a reporter, Camille Preaker (played by Adams), as she faces a troubling assignment immediately following a stint at a psych hospital: to return to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls. To get the story — and survive this homecoming — Camille must unravel the psychological puzzle of her own past.

Marti Noxon (UnREAL) penned the pilot and will serve as showrunner, with Flynn expected to write several episodes and director Jean-Marc Vallée (Wild) helming all the installments. All three, along with Adams, serve as executive producers.

1. Annie says:

It wasn’t quite as well crafted as her more famous “Gone Girl,” but “Sharp Objects” was IMHO quite good and arguably more shocking. Looking forward to seeing this.

2. aa says:

I really want Frances Conroy to play her mother

3. Shutterbug99 says:

It’s been quite a while since I read this one, but I really enjoyed it! So twisty. And so sick!

While I was reading I pictured Jessica Lange as Adora (her mother) and I think Kiernan Shipka fits for the younger sister. One problem with my cast: Amy Adams may need to dye her hair…

4. Dude says:

Sharp Objects was a disjointed mess with a ‘twist’ ending that you could spot a mile away (I literally called it the moment the character appeared which ruined the rest of the book for me because it was so obvious), so I hope they do a better job with the show. I love Amy Adams but she is not who I pictured at all for this but I’m willing to give her a shot. I don’t really see her inhabiting the darker character traits though (I always pictured Tatiana Maslany but she’s a bit busy).

• militantgod says:

Who gives a damn what color her hair is? Adams is a great actress and that’s all that matters. And I wouldn’t call the novel a mess. It was actually really good but it’s clear that Flynn, over her three novels, became a better writer. Reality check, that’s per usual! The question is, does HBO plan on thsi being an ongoing series or a one and done? The novel is pretty self contained.

5. Wordsmith says:

With Marti Noxon and Jean-Marc Vallee on board, not to mention the author herself, it seems like the material is in very good hands.

6. Brooke says:

I really liked this book but enjoyed Dark Places a lot more. It’s funny that I always pictured Amy Adams as Libby and Charlize would be a perfect Camille, and I think that Sharp Objects would be a better movie with Dark Places being a series. Oh well I’ll watch anyways.