The Vampire Diaries Spoilers

TVD's Ian Somerhalder Warns: 'We're Losing Some Beloved Characters'

Heads up: If you ever find yourself on The Vampire Diaries, watch out for exploding automobiles.

The CW’s original vampire drama returns Friday (8/7c), and second-time director Ian Somerhalder tells TVLine to prepare for the worst: “We’re losing some beloved characters, which is always hard.”

But rather than looking towards the show’s next big death(s) with a sense of dread, Somerhalder encourages excitement. After all, these big dramatic moments have been part of The Vampire Diaries‘ DNA for the duration of its seven-season run.

“Remember when Elena runs to the Salvatore mansion in Season 1, and she asks Stefan what he is, and he says ‘vampire’? That was such a huge moment,” he says. “I came off a show like Lost with 25 million viewers; it was the new watercolor show. We didn’t have those huge live numbers, but because our presence was so big online and with streaming, that moment was a huge television moment people talked about for months.”

Somerhalder continues, “This episode reminded me that you don’t need to blow a ton of s–t up, though we did blow up a car. And it’s not about blowing up a car, it’s about how and why it happens that really makes you feel. This was about just putting a camera in front of actors and letting them do their jobs, letting them tell this story thorough a performance, and finding moments where they make the audience feel what they’re feeling.”

So, audience, are you ready to feel some feelings tonight? Drop a comment with your best guess below: Who’s on the chopping block?

1. Nellie says:

*spoilers below*

I highly doubt Nora and Mary Louise would constitute as BELOVED characters. This man talks out of his ass so much it’s ridiculous. But it’s obvious that he wants the show to regain that S1 glory. Hope he gets it by Season 8

• Michele says:

Agree. The heretics were also suppose to be the next TO and we see how that turned out. lol The heretics were a complete flop and they never developed ML and Nora s/l so why would anyone care if they died?

• Luli says:

While they are not my fav I really liked most of the herectics this season. That includes ML and Nora. Sad to see them go.

2. James P says:

While beloved characters is a bit of a stretch in terms of who dies. But i do admit that the particular scene he is talking about did made me feel somewhat sad.

3. Gilded Lady says:

If the commentor above is correct (and I have no reason to believe they aren’t) I’m not surprised.

Remember when they teased a huge death and it was Carol Lockwood? That death resonated because of who did it and why. This feels like a similar situation only it’ll lack the same impact because no one is really that tied to them nor the one whom presumably sets the bomb.

• James P says:

I liked your example, the circumstances and the afternath is what made me feel sad about Carol Lockwood’s death. Ibfelt bad for Tyler when Caroline was consoling him in the gym after he wolfed out.

4. Sharon says:

I’d like to lose some characters to another show. cough:Klaroline:cough

5. leo says:

So, Ian’s eyebrows are still the top-billed star? How Original.

6. Simon says:

It aired here in Canada last night, and without spoiling anything the death was not at all shocking but very well done. Which is what I think Ian meant by beloved. Also Matt is quite annoying, I use to like his character as the voice of humanity but now it’s pretty bleh. Although I guess you can say he has a good reason to be anti vamp.

• Ari says:

I really hate that it airs in Canada on Thursdays and in the US on Fridays. Spoilers abound and now any sort of suspense that might have existed is just gone. Why would they schedule it this way? I hope that next season they sync them onto the same day.

• Michele says:

Completely agree. It should’ve been fixed before TVD was rescheduled to Fridays. Most people know what’s happening before Friday afternoon in the U.S. Also somehow people are privy to the scripts and spoilers are released that way as well.

• Belle says:

How might someone who wanted to know these spoilers go about finding them ahead of it’s airing in the US? A particular website? Crystal Ball? Warlock? No seriously, I have googled it and nothing has shown up on who dies tonight.

• Annie says:

It’s because you’re viewing American Google, not Canadian Google. Go to the way bottom and press Canada and you’ll find it easily.

7. Stacey says:

The only characters I care about are Caroline, Bonnie, Enzo, and Damon, when he is sharing scenes with Bonnie, love Bamon, it’s really sweet. Otherwise, I don’t care about the rest, including Stefan

8. Angie says:

One more heretic to go!! I really want Valerie gone sorry not sorry

#Steroline

9. Laura96 says:

You know after tonights episode pretty much all main characters are dying. Damon – werewolf poison, Stefan – sword, Bonnie – poisonous uncurable pills :D

10. Kev says:

I just saw the episode and the death was kinda sad, but at the same time it was a great and beautiful scene (with the music and everything). I wouldn’t exactly say beloved characters, but atleast likeable characters.

11. Lindsey says:

**SPOILERS** It’s the lesbians. Which makes it 10 dead queer women so far in 2016, with 2 more coming next week for a total of 12, including 4 on the CW alone, in the first 4 months of the year. That’s almost 1/3rd of the queer female characters on TV at the end of 2015, when GLAAD counted 35. That’s a horrifying percentage.

• Denise says:

How about the straight characters that died…has nyone calculated them?

• Guest says:

Boo freaking hoo. Get over yourself. All do you is come off as self absorbed and the only reason is because your offended. Get a life. Much more important things going on in this world that you can talk about then you tallying up how many FICTIONAL gay/homosexual women have been killed off in 2016. And this is coming from and proud as hell lesbian over here who is sick of the complaining. Go find the cure to cancer or something.

12. I really hope ‘watercolor’ is TVLine’s typo and not his.

13. K says:

Mary Louise and her girlfriend die to destroying the phoenix stone

14. Selina says:

15. Selina says:

I was already upset we lost Lilly …. What the heck. She was awesome! Why do they do that if they know the audience will just be pissed … Come on..just get rid of matt..

16. MyNameIs... says:

All I can say is: Don’t take away Noralise.

17. Click This Link To Watch Live

=
    itsme

18. Click This Link To watch Live Stream

19. Loislane says:

Binnie and caroline

20. Carolyn says:

I guess Jeremy is in the way out. Possibly Elena and Stefan. As long as Damon stays I will watch it.